Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
On this day in history, Jan. 16, 1919, Prohibition is ratified

On this day in history, Jan. 16, 1919, Prohibition is ratified, banning booze in the United States

Progressive effort to enforce top-down social reform expanded federal law enforcement and criminal activity

The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, a progressive effort to enforce social reform via expanded federal power and popularly known as Prohibition, was ratified on this day in history, Jan. 16, 1919.  

"The manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all the territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited," the amendment states.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-d...ted-states
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I still struggle to understand this one.
Amending the US constitution is one of the hardest things to do in all of politics. Yet this got done in a nation that largely wasn't ready to give up drinking...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-16-2023, 11:19 AM)mikesez Wrote: I still struggle to understand this one.
Amending the US constitution is one of the hardest things to do in all of politics. Yet this got done in a nation that largely wasn't ready to give up drinking...
And yet we now have 27, you seem to always see there are issues but then refuse to connect the dots.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Amending the US constitution is one of the hardest things to do in all of politics.  Yet this got done in a nation that largely wasn't ready to give up drinking...

I'm sure there's some research out there which explains why a country would deign to ban alcohol consumption completely. Cary Nation, and other prohibitionists, were on a tear at that time influencing public opinion. But why? I think it has to do with the industrial revolution, the elevated standard of living with more free time on the average worker's hands, the migration of the U.S. population from agrarian to urban, and the processes of alcohol manufacture becoming more productive thus making alcohol cheaper and more accessible. Rampant alcoholism and broken families were becoming an issue of prominence never experienced before.

It's certainly an interesting sociological study.

(01-16-2023, 03:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
Amending the US constitution is one of the hardest things to do in all of politics.  Yet this got done in a nation that largely wasn't ready to give up drinking...

I'm sure there's some research out there which explains why a country would deign to ban alcohol consumption completely. Cary Nation, and other prohibitionists, were on a tear at that time influencing public opinion. But why? I think it has to do with the industrial revolution, the elevated standard of living with more free time on the average worker's hands, the migration of the U.S. population from agrarian to urban, and the processes of alcohol manufacture becoming more productive thus making alcohol cheaper and more accessible. Rampant alcoholism and broken families were becoming an issue of prominence never experienced before.

Look at this and where we are now. Look at the number of amendments passed in the last 100 years when it is supposed to be a hard thing to do. Now start seeing the progressive feelings and the shift to where we are now.

(01-16-2023, 04:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 03:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm sure there's some research out there which explains why a country would deign to ban alcohol consumption completely. Cary Nation, and other prohibitionists, were on a tear at that time influencing public opinion. But why? I think it has to do with the industrial revolution, the elevated standard of living with more free time on the average worker's hands, the migration of the U.S. population from agrarian to urban, and the processes of alcohol manufacture becoming more productive thus making alcohol cheaper and more accessible. Rampant alcoholism and broken families were becoming an issue of prominence never experienced before.

Look at this and where we are now. Look at the number of amendments passed in the last 100 years when it is supposed to be a hard thing to do. Now start seeing the progressive feelings and the shift to where we are now.

You think a high number of amendments has passed? To me the number is low.  11 amendments in the last 150 years is low. No amendments sent out for ratification in the last 50 years is as low as it gets.

(01-16-2023, 04:12 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 04:02 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Look at this and where we are now. Look at the number of amendments passed in the last 100 years when it is supposed to be a hard thing to do. Now start seeing the progressive feelings and the shift to where we are now.

You think a high number of amendments has passed? To me the number is low.  11 amendments in the last 150 years is low. No amendments sent out for ratification in the last 50 years is as low as it gets.
10 were immediate, then a flood of them for this small window of time and then back to nothing. All of it starting the progressive feelings and social stuff. Some were good things but also had other impacts that allowed them to hurt or enslave the people they were "helping".

Look to see who was behind all the changes.

EO’s have replaced amendments because politicians care more about being reelected than doing what is best for the country.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(01-16-2023, 05:07 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 04:12 PM)mikesez Wrote: You think a high number of amendments has passed? To me the number is low.  11 amendments in the last 150 years is low. No amendments sent out for ratification in the last 50 years is as low as it gets.
10 were immediate, then a flood of them for this small window of time and then back to nothing. All of it starting the progressive feelings and social stuff. Some were good things but also had other impacts that allowed them to hurt or enslave the people they were "helping".

Look to see who was behind all the changes.

Usually, liberals or progressives are the ones who try to change things, and conservatives are the ones who fight changes.  It's right there in the definition.  If something goes haywire about how the constitution is being interpreted, a conservative might propose an amendment to restore the original interpretation, but so far we haven't passed one like that.  After the first 10, they are all liberal or progressive for their time.  

Even things conservatives often say they like and want, like a balanced budget amendment or a term limits amendment, these are actually liberal ideas when you consider how we've survived over 200 years with a budget almost never in balance and term limits never enforced.

I stumbled across this in the Amazon music app. I’m listening to it now. It tells why and how the movement became powerful enough to amend the Constitution.

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/01d391...k3OC0yugbA

(01-20-2023, 01:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I stumbled across this in the Amazon music app. I’m listening to it now. It tells why and how the movement became powerful enough to amend the Constitution.

Pretty cool stuff. I listened for about 2 minutes and then it went to all ads because I'm not a subscriber.

I love audio books and stuff like that. When I was driving truck all over the south east, I would always take a few audio books with me (Mostly Stephen King because I'm a huge horror fan) and just listen for hours.. Especially when I had to go to Alabama and head west on 10 for 8 hours lol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I used to get neck deep into all types of subjects, but I've recently taken up knifemaking which has consumed a lot of my interest as of late.

(01-20-2023, 01:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Thanks for the link!