Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Leftwich out from Bucs?

(01-17-2023, 06:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 04:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Man, the Byron hate is still going strong a full 20 years later. Unreal.

Bryon hate?  I don't hate Byron but I was happy as hell almost 20 yrs ago when Garrard took over.  The QB position was upgraded by a good margin.  You thought Bryon was a good QB for us?  Lol.  As far as coaching, do I think he could be a good coach 5 to 10 years down the road?  Maybe.  Do I think he is ready to be a head coach right now?  No

(01-17-2023, 05:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Pederson certainly turned this team around fast, which is something that I don’t think Leftwich could have done as he would have been learning on the job.  But he was always considered a strong Xs and Os and film guy, which would seem like something you’d want in a coach.  I have no problem admitting that I was on board with Leftwich as he seemed to fit the trend of the ‘young blood’ entering the HC ranks.

To say they ‘dodged a bullet’ is a bit of an exaggeration.
This was the only fan base that wanted Leftwich as their coach.

I can't imagine why in the world a fanbase who knows him well as an early draft pick and QB - that was saddled with urban meyer and hasn't had a winning record in 5 years  - might have some intrigue in a young up-and-coming coach who was hyped by every major media outlet.  Weird, huh?

LOL

Fans gravitate to the familiar. Who cares? 
No one knows if Leftwich is going to be a good HC one day or not, but it's not strange in any way that Jags fans jumped on board with that kind of change around here. 

I entertained the notion even though I liked Pederson and Jim Caldwell better. Could have been really exciting if he was worthy of the hype. 

Thankfully, it all worked itself out organically. The right way. 

I guess you aren't going to try quoting Bruce Arians as gospel on this one, huh? 

You don't think he's ready to be a HC now, and in November you didn't think Trevor was fit to lead a pass-first offense "right now" either. We know how that one worked out. 
https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...pid1500601

No need to scrutinize fans for being fans - and for looking under every rock for a way to improve a franchise stuck in the basement.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2023, 03:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Related:

https://twitter.com/nbcsedgefb/status/16...Rb1VjqoUpA

Man! That's so cool to see! I hope he lands it and I hope he thrives. That would be interesting to see play calling wise with him being a WR and all.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-18-2023, 03:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 06:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Bryon hate?  I don't hate Byron but I was happy as hell almost 20 yrs ago when Garrard took over.  The QB position was upgraded by a good margin.  You thought Bryon was a good QB for us?  Lol.  As far as coaching, do I think he could be a good coach 5 to 10 years down the road?  Maybe.  Do I think he is ready to be a head coach right now?  No

I can't imagine why in the world a fanbase who knows him well as an early draft pick and QB - that was saddled with urban meyer and hasn't had a winning record in 5 years  - might have some intrigue in a young up-and-coming coach who was hyped by every major media outlet.  Weird, huh?

LOL

No one knows if Leftwich is going to be a good HC one day or not, but it's not strange in any way that Jags fans jumped on board with that kind of change around here. 

I entertained the notion even though I liked Pederson and Jim Caldwell better. Could have been really exciting if he was worthy of the hype. 

I guess you aren't going to try quoting Bruce Arians as gospel on this one, huh? 

You don't think he's ready to be a HC now, and in November you didn't think Trevor was fit to lead a pass-first offense "right now" either. We know how that one worked out. 

No need to scrutinize fans for being fans - and for looking under every rock for a way to improve a franchise stuck in the basement.
I just spit out my water....

Good for Keenan ... Would love to see him do well. I don't remember the board being united in tooooo many things down the years but there was definitely a collective head in hands when he was allowed to leave!

I’d love to see him get that opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-18-2023, 04:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 03:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I can't imagine why in the world a fanbase who knows him well as an early draft pick and QB - that was saddled with urban meyer and hasn't had a winning record in 5 years  - might have some intrigue in a young up-and-coming coach who was hyped by every major media outlet.  Weird, huh?

LOL

I just spit out my water....

Oof... Now that's a hot take LOLOLOL.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 07:57 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-18-2023, 03:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 06:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Bryon hate?  I don't hate Byron but I was happy as hell almost 20 yrs ago when Garrard took over.  The QB position was upgraded by a good margin.  You thought Bryon was a good QB for us?  Lol.  As far as coaching, do I think he could be a good coach 5 to 10 years down the road?  Maybe.  Do I think he is ready to be a head coach right now?  No

LOL

Can you post where I scrutinized the fan base while you're making [BLEEP] up?  Lol. You don't scrutinize the fan base !  You just said exactly what I said when the fan base wanted him, fans gravitate towards the familiar, he was a ex Jags so they liked the idea.  Some said Byron or bust.   

On the Trevor part, he wasn't ready to lead a pass heavy offense the first half of the season and a huge reason why we only had 2 wins in the first 8 games.  We would have a higher seed right now if we ran in a lot of situations early on when we should have.   Now he is ready!   I don't feel like going to find all your post claiming we should have ran more earlier in the season in a number of games.  That genius 4th and 1 run Sat. is a play Doug would of passed earlier in the season, he was still figuring this team out early on as was Trevor learning Dougs system. Like the post said, if we were a run first team until Trevor figured it out we would have at least 3 more wins right now. Dougs pay calling gave a few games away earlier in the year. He was still figuring his team out and the players were still learning the system

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 08:25 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-18-2023, 07:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 03:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I can't imagine why in the world a fanbase who knows him well as an early draft pick and QB - that was saddled with urban meyer and hasn't had a winning record in 5 years  - might have some intrigue in a young up-and-coming coach who was hyped by every major media outlet.  Weird, huh?

LOL

Can you post where I scrutinized the fan base while you're making [BLEEP] up?  Lol.  You don't scrutinize the fan base !  You just said exactly what I said when the fan base wanted him, fans gravitate towards the familiar, he was a ex Jags so they liked the idea.  Some said Byron or bust.   

On the Trevor part, he wasn't ready to lead a pass heavy offense the first half of the season and a huge reason why we only had 2 wins in the first 8 games.  We would have a higher seed right now if we ran in a lot of situations early on when we should have.   Now he is ready!   I don't feel like going to find all your post claiming we should have ran more earlier in the season in a number of games.  That genius 4th and 1 run Sat. is a play Doug would have passed earlier in the season, he was still figuring this team out early on as was Trevor learning Dougs system.  Like the post said, if we were a run first team until Trevor figured it out we would have at least 3 more wins right now.  Dougs pay calling gave a few games away earlier in the year.  He was still figuring his team out and the players were still learning the system
And how do you think he figured it out genius?

You take those lumps and you learn from them. By Doug allowing Trevor to throw all day, it instilled confidence in him. If they would have made him a game manager, that would have been Doug essentially saying they don’t trust him.

(01-18-2023, 07:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

LOL

Can you post where I scrutinized the fan base while you're making [BLEEP] up?  Lol.  You don't scrutinize the fan base !  You just said exactly what I said when the fan base wanted him, fans gravitate towards the familiar, he was a ex Jags so they liked the idea.  Some said Byron or bust.   

On the Trevor part, he wasn't ready to lead a pass heavy offense the first half of the season and a huge reason why we only had 2 wins in the first 8 games.  We would have a higher seed right now if we ran in a lot of situations early on when we should have.   Now he is ready!   I don't feel like going to find all your post claiming we should have ran more earlier in the season in a number of games.  That genius 4th and 1 run Sat. is a play Doug would of passed earlier in the season, he was still figuring this team out early on as was Trevor learning Dougs system.  Like the post said, if we were a run first team until Trevor figured it out we would have at least 3 more wins right now.  Dougs pay calling gave a few games away earlier in the year.  He was still figuring his team out and the players were still learning the system

You said this was the only fanbase that wanted Leftwich. 

Did you mean that as a compliment?? Or were you scrutinizing our fanbase?

LOL

BTW, I guarantee that's not true. I'm sure others out there had him in the mix. He interviewed in New Orleans and Houston you know. Not only that, but many in our base did not want the guy in Jax or preferred others ahead of him.

(01-18-2023, 08:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 07:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Can you post where I scrutinized the fan base while you're making [BLEEP] up?  Lol.  You don't scrutinize the fan base !  You just said exactly what I said when the fan base wanted him, fans gravitate towards the familiar, he was a ex Jags so they liked the idea.  Some said Byron or bust.   

On the Trevor part, he wasn't ready to lead a pass heavy offense the first half of the season and a huge reason why we only had 2 wins in the first 8 games.  We would have a higher seed right now if we ran in a lot of situations early on when we should have.   Now he is ready!   I don't feel like going to find all your post claiming we should have ran more earlier in the season in a number of games.  That genius 4th and 1 run Sat. is a play Doug would of passed earlier in the season, he was still figuring this team out early on as was Trevor learning Dougs system.  Like the post said, if we were a run first team until Trevor figured it out we would have at least 3 more wins right now.  Dougs pay calling gave a few games away earlier in the year.  He was still figuring his team out and the players were still learning the system

LOL

BTW, I guarantee that's not true. I'm sure others out there had him in the mix. He interviewed in New Orleans and Houston you know. Not only that, but many in our base did not want the guy in Jax or preferred others ahead of him.
I was all about Leftwich at the time because I didn’t even really think Pederson was in the picture. He interviewed early and then it was silence. 

So yea. I wanted Leftwich over Eberflus, Hackett, the Raiders guy, and a few others.

Once it was Doug, it was full steam ahead.

(01-18-2023, 08:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 07:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Can you post where I scrutinized the fan base while you're making [BLEEP] up?  Lol.  You don't scrutinize the fan base !  You just said exactly what I said when the fan base wanted him, fans gravitate towards the familiar, he was a ex Jags so they liked the idea.  Some said Byron or bust.   

On the Trevor part, he wasn't ready to lead a pass heavy offense the first half of the season and a huge reason why we only had 2 wins in the first 8 games.  We would have a higher seed right now if we ran in a lot of situations early on when we should have.   Now he is ready!   I don't feel like going to find all your post claiming we should have ran more earlier in the season in a number of games.  That genius 4th and 1 run Sat. is a play Doug would have passed earlier in the season, he was still figuring this team out early on as was Trevor learning Dougs system.  Like the post said, if we were a run first team until Trevor figured it out we would have at least 3 more wins right now.  Dougs pay calling gave a few games away earlier in the year.  He was still figuring his team out and the players were still learning the system
And how do you think he figured it out genius?

You take those lumps and you learn from them. By Doug allowing Trevor to throw all day, it instilled confidence in him. If they would have made him a game manager, that would have been Doug essentially saying they don’t trust him.

Yup Doug said so himself early on in the year. Can't remember which week exactly, but I wanna say week 5 or 6 or around there. Thinking maybe after the texans loss.

Reporters asked him if he had thoughts/plans to go more run heavy on Offense and he shut that down real fast. He said that in the future, this is how they'll want Trevor to run the Offense (pass first) and in order to do that correctly in the future, they have to do it/learn it right now. You deal with the growing pains along the way. Can't learn it if you don't do it. Can't correct the mistakes if you don't have a chance to make them in the first place.

Wow.

(01-18-2023, 08:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

LOL

Yes i said this was the only fan base that wanted him, because we were.  It's because he is an ex Jag.  If it wasn't that all of the other fan bases would of wanted him like alot here did.   It's not a compliment or scrutinizing the fan base, it just is what it is.  I remember going to all the other the other fan bases forums last year that needed coaches at season end and none of them brought up Leftwich.   I loved when we hired McCardell as the WRs coach and I thought he did a great job.  Hopefully Byron can get a head coaching job and have a great career as a head coach but it wasn't a good look with the rumors of him trying to call the shots on the GM when he has never even been a HC before and a small caoching sample size.

(01-18-2023, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 08:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You said this was the only fanbase that wanted Leftwich. 

LOL

I was all about Leftwich at the time because I didn’t even really think Pederson was in the picture. He interviewed early and then it was silence. 

So yea. I wanted Leftwich over Eberflus, Hackett, the Raiders guy, and a few others.

Oh I'd take Leftwich over Hackett and Eberflus.  Eberflus as HC was a very odd move imo.  I thought you were a Eberflus guy too, maybe that was Upper

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023, 08:55 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-18-2023, 10:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 08:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You said this was the only fanbase that wanted Leftwich. 

LOL

Yes i said this was the only fan base that wanted him, because we were.  It's because he is an ex Jag.  If it wasn't that all of the other fan bases would of wanted him like alot here did.   It's not a compliment or scrutinizing the fan base, it just is what it is.  I remember going to all the other the other fan bases forums last year that needed coaches at season end and none of them brought up Leftwich.   I loved when we hired McCardell as the WRs coach and I thought he did a great job.  Hopefully Byron can get a head coaching job and have a great career as a head coach but it wasn't a good look with the rumors of him trying to call the shots on the GM when he has never even been a HC before and a small caoching sample size.

'It wasn't a good look' when 91% of the people here wanted Baalke out.  LOL.  You're all over the place here trying to support your point...which is pretty much status quo.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

He's officially out of Tampa Bay now. Wonder where he'll catch onto next.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-18-2023, 11:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 08:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I was all about Leftwich at the time because I didn’t even really think Pederson was in the picture. He interviewed early and then it was silence. 

Oh I'd take Leftwich over Hackett and Eberflus.  Eberflus as HC was a very odd move imo.  I thought you were a Eberflus guy too, maybe that was Upper
I think Eberflus is fine but I wanted an offensive mind.

My top 2 were Byron and Caldwell. Legit didn't think Pederson was an option since it was dead silent on his front.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023, 02:13 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-19-2023, 08:55 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 10:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes i said this was the only fan base that wanted him, because we were.  It's because he is an ex Jag.  If it wasn't that all of the other fan bases would of wanted him like alot here did.   It's not a compliment or scrutinizing the fan base, it just is what it is.  I remember going to all the other the other fan bases forums last year that needed coaches at season end and none of them brought up Leftwich.   I loved when we hired McCardell as the WRs coach and I thought he did a great job.  Hopefully Byron can get a head coaching job and have a great career as a head coach but it wasn't a good look with the rumors of him trying to call the shots on the GM when he has never even been a HC before and a small caoching sample size.

'It wasn't a good look' when 91% of the people here wanted Baalke out.  LOL.  You're all over the place here trying to support your point...which is pretty much status quo.

What are you talking about? lol.  Why wasnt it a good look if people wanted Baalke out?  I didnt mind if people wanted Baalke or not, but it definitely wasnt a good look for all the ones that wore the clown faces lol. Baalke and Khan has made them look like fools.

(01-19-2023, 11:27 AM)Caldrac Wrote: He's officially out of Tampa Bay now. Wonder where he'll catch onto next.

Hard to imagine him jumping to HC now.  Easy to imagine him getting another OC gig.  Wish him nothing but the best. Hope he stays away from some of the bad situations out there.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.