Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Leftwich out from Bucs?

(01-19-2023, 11:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: We're fortunate that we got Pederson.  Outside of Pederson, I believe the Jaguars gave second interviews or requested second interviews for head coach from the following:

Byron Leftwich - Not only did he not get a job as head coach somewhere else, but he got fired as offensive coordinator with his existing team.

Nathaniel Hackett - He got a head coaching job but did such a terrible job that he only lasted 11 games before being fired.

Matt Eberflus - He got a head coaching job but led his team to a 3-14 record and the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Hopefully the Khans won't be going through any more coaching searches for a long, long time.

It's way too early to judge Eberflus. Based on their the cap situation and GM philosophy, this was basically a throw away season. I mean they even traded away Roquan Smith because they couldn't pay him.

Plus Fields showed major flashes of being an elite level QB, he just needs help next year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-19-2023, 11:46 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Dude, nobody needs to back up anything with Leftwich being sloppy, we all seen first hand for years. 

If he's sloppy with game play and mechanics, he'll most likely be sloppy in other areas as well, including coaching.

My guess is, he'll end up coaching somewhere in college. Maybe even Marshall.

You just need to wait and see. You can't compare right now because he hasn't been a HC. He got fired because Bowles needed to fire someone and frankly Leftwich is probably happy he was fired. Bowles gets canned after next season and they go full rebuild. That team is taking a major drop-off and no offensive coach could save it, not even Doug.

Now he is free to go find a new OC. If he does well there, he will get interviews in 1-2 years. If not, he may never get an interview agaIn.

Most people thought he was sloppy and came off as unprepared on game day. Supposedly that is not how he coaches and it could just be his demeanor making it appear that way. Time will tell but you can't say he is a terrible HC without seeing it first.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(01-20-2023, 12:42 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-19-2023, 11:46 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Dude, nobody needs to back up anything with Leftwich being sloppy, we all seen first hand for years. 

If he's sloppy with game play and mechanics, he'll most likely be sloppy in other areas as well, including coaching.

You just need to wait and see. You can't compare right now because he hasn't been a HC. He got fired because Bowles needed to fire someone and frankly Leftwich is probably happy he was fired. Bowles gets canned after next season and they go full rebuild. That team is taking a major drop-off and no offensive coach could save it, not even Doug.

Now he is free to go find a new OC. If he does well there, he will get interviews in 1-2 years. If not, he may never get an interview agaIn.

Most people thought he was sloppy and came off as unprepared on game day. Supposedly that is not how he coaches and it could just be his demeanor making it appear that way. Time will tell but you can't say he is a terrible HC without seeing it first.

Maybe.. I don't know the future..

But, I do agree with the bartenders at 2am.. You don't have to go home, but ya can't stay here lol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2023, 09:52 AM by Mikey.)

(01-18-2023, 10:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 08:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You said this was the only fanbase that wanted Leftwich. 

Did you mean that as a compliment?? Or were you scrutinizing our fanbase?

LOL

BTW, I guarantee that's not true. I'm sure others out there had him in the mix. He interviewed in New Orleans and Houston you know. Not only that, but many in our base did not want the guy in Jax or preferred others ahead of him.

Yes i said this was the only fan base that wanted him, because we were.  It's because he is an ex Jag.  If it wasn't that all of the other fan bases would of wanted him like alot here did.   It's not a compliment or scrutinizing the fan base, it just is what it is.  I remember going to all the other the other fan bases forums last year that needed coaches at season end and none of them brought up Leftwich.   I loved when we hired McCardell as the WRs coach and I thought he did a great job.  Hopefully Byron can get a head coaching job and have a great career as a head coach but it wasn't a good look with the rumors of him trying to call the shots on the GM when he has never even been a HC before and a small caoching sample size.

I wanted him, but not because he was an ex-jag. I wanted him because he's an ascending young coach that would have offered us more than the retread coaches that tend to get jobs every hiring cycle. In fact, I wanted him IN SPITE of being a former jag. I understood that there was so much ugliness and bad blood from his time as QB here that he'd be facing an uphill battle to win the fanbase.

Maybe I'm a oddball, maybe I'm not. I don't think ANYONE among the fanbase wanted him just because he was a mediocre first round pick years ago.

(01-19-2023, 03:09 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Leftwich fired as Bucs OC.

Cowhead reporting per Buc insiders that Brady being unhappy with lack of detail, sloppiness with the Bucs offensive coaching staff was the reason for Leftwich being fired today.  The firing supposedly a move to entice Brady to stay in Tampa.

So Brady is likely gone, but they are making personnel decisions based on his opinions?

Remind me again why anyone pays attention to Cowherd?

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 03:14 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

It's just his demeanor. Byron's expressions and personality don't come across as gritty. The number of big hits he took and got up from, the endless compliments coaches put on his film watching habits and practice habitd, dude was obviously gritty. Is gritty. But he just has one of those easy going baby faces that doesn't read that way. And his body betrayed him. His cerebrum knew what his footwork and throwing motion should be, but his cerebellum couldn't connect it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-22-2023, 03:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's just his demeanor. Byron's expressions and personality don't come across as gritty. The number of big hits he took and got up from, the endless compliments coaches put on his film watching habits and practice habitd, dude was obviously gritty. Is gritty. But he just has one of those easy going baby faces that doesn't read that way. And his body betrayed him. His cerebrum knew what his footwork and throwing motion should be, but his cerebellum couldn't connect it.
Not to rehash all of that but you can train your body. I'm sure someone could have rigged something to not let him drop his arm or elbow and then he would just need to wear it all the time. He knew it was an issue in college and NFL but made the choice to never really try to fix it. I think 1 summer if acted like he tried.

With people that know him saying he knows football, you have to defer to them on it.

Looks like I was right about him. I didn’t think he was ready to be a HC, turns out he’s not even ready to be an OC. He’s got potential, but when you have the offensive weapons he did and you fall flat like he did, he still has a lot to learn…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(01-28-2023, 12:11 PM)Ronster Wrote: Looks like I was right about him. I didn’t think he was ready to be a HC, turns out he’s not even ready to be an OC. He’s got potential, but when you have the offensive weapons he did and you fall flat like he did, he still has a lot to learn…

Tom Brady had Bruce Arians pushed out last year and he had Leftwich pushed out this year by all accounts. 

By your logic, is Bruce Arians not ready to be a HC? 

I have no idea if Leftwich is going to be a good anything, anywhere, but I don't think the disfunction in Tampa this year tells us anything definitive about Leftwich's coaching abilities.

(01-19-2023, 11:46 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-19-2023, 11:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: First. Allowed.

Second. JRob was a great back before his injury (which I’ve stated numerous times but you’re dense) and now he’s not anywhere close to what he was. Which is clear because he was a healthy scratch many times on the Jets (spare me the draft compensation excuse).

Third. Zay Jones has been amazing this year and much better than I expected (which I’ve already said as well).

People can say whatever they want about Leftwich but at least have something to back it up rather than Cowherd speculating that he was “sloppy.”

Glad to have Doug Pederson. Go Jags!

Dude, nobody needs to back up anything with Leftwich being sloppy, we all seen first hand for years. 

And as predicted, Leftwich is now looking into collegiate positions.

Toot Toot..

(02-09-2023, 11:49 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

And as predicted, Leftwich is now looking into collegiate positions.

Toot Toot..

After last season, that may be his easiest path to an HC experience. After we passed, and especially considering his relationship with Arians, I was dumbfounded that TB decided to promote Bowles. I imagine Byron was, too.

(02-10-2023, 10:00 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 11:49 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: And as predicted, Leftwich is now looking into collegiate positions.

Toot Toot..

After last season, that may be his easiest path to an HC experience. After we passed, and especially considering his relationship with Arians, I was dumbfounded that TB decided to promote Bowles. I imagine Byron was, too.

Maybe with some college experience, he can jump back into The NFL. 

Never know.

(02-10-2023, 10:00 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 11:49 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: And as predicted, Leftwich is now looking into collegiate positions.

Toot Toot..

I wonder if he didn't want it. With Brady leaving last year, it would have been a terrible team. He may not have wanted the HC with having to rebuild without ability to draft the replacements.
(02-10-2023, 12:42 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 10:00 AM)Mikey Wrote: After last season, that may be his easiest path to an HC experience. After we passed, and especially considering his relationship with Arians, I was dumbfounded that TB decided to promote Bowles. I imagine Byron was, too.

Maybe with some college experience, he can jump back into The NFL. 

Never know.
It's best for him but at this point, he is too far behind in college unless he goes to a really small school. Recruiting is done and schools don't make changes now. He will need to be a OC for 1-2 years before getting a shot and he may not even find a paid position this year.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 10:50 AM by Jag88.)

It’s interesting to see what happens next. Hopefully he gets a chance to jump into a good situation for him. What a wild ride for him. Super champ coach with possibly getting a head coaching job to fired.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 11:55 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-25-2023, 10:50 AM)Jag88 Wrote: It’s interesting to see what happens next. Hopefully he gets a chance to jump into a good situation for him. What a wild ride for him. Super champ coach with possibly getting a head coaching job to fired.

He had that chance last year until he tried to play like the owner and say who the GM is going to be, being a first time HC at that..  It's like he was going to try to fire his boss and bring in his own boss lol.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 07:54 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-25-2023, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 10:50 AM)Jag88 Wrote: It’s interesting to see what happens next. Hopefully he gets a chance to jump into a good situation for him. What a wild ride for him. Super champ coach with possibly getting a head coaching job to fired.

He had that chance last year until he tried to play like the owner and say who the GM is going to be, being a first time HC at that..  It's like he was going to try to fire his boss and bring in his own boss lol.

You know Leftwich withdrew his name, right?  So he didn’t ‘lose out’ on anything.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/sports/buc...?_amp=true
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 09:55 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-25-2023, 07:52 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He had that chance last year until he tried to play like the owner and say who the GM is going to be, being a first time HC at that..  It's like he was going to try to fire his boss and bring in his own boss lol.

You know Leftwich withdrew his name, right?  So he didn’t ‘lose out’ on anything.

That came out, when the news came out we we going to get Doug.  Let's play like it didn't, it makes it look like even a worse decision lol.  I know you keep trying to help him look smart on his piss poor decision but  you are not helping at all lol. Hopefully he can get the ND job and work his way back up

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 10:01 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

He wasn't my first or even 2nd choice but i thought he could possibly be decent for Trevor and our offense. When I heard though he was trying to call the shots like he's some seasoned HC and trying to fire his boss and bring in his own boss it was a huge turn off regardless how i felt about Baalke. He was in no position to make that call. Probably why he hasn't landed a job yet

Celebrating Leftwich not landing a premium gig because he wasn't your choice for the Jags might be the weakest flex ever.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2023, 11:27 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-25-2023, 09:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 07:52 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You know Leftwich withdrew his name, right?  So he didn’t ‘lose out’ on anything.

That came out, when the news came out we we going to get Doug.  Let's play like it didn't, it makes it look like even a worse decision lol.  I know you keep trying to help him look smart on his piss poor decision but  you are not helping at all lol.  Hopefully he can get the ND job and work his way back up

I’m not trying to make anybody look smart, but you’re looking awfully dumb…in numerous threads.  This one included.  Oh wait, I forgot the lol.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-25-2023, 11:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Celebrating Leftwich not landing a premium gig because he wasn't your choice for the Jags might be the weakest flex ever.

I would love for Leftwich to get a HC job and succeed but the way he handled his first shot at one wasn't a good look at all.  I'm just glad we weren't the franchise to suffer from it and Khan made the right call.