Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell has to learn from this!

I think Caldwell developed pretty well himself as a coach as the year went. Definitely saw major improvements the second half of the year, outside of the lions game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2023, 09:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Caldwell's inexperience as a play caller showed last night and he got schooled by the best in the business. Reid calls the shots most of the time. Bieniemy sometimes tags in.

It did bother me that Kelce was getting away with the same routine all night. Block for a second or two and then release, find the open zone, sit and wait. He had it all damn night. The Chiefs had something like 10:00 - 13:00 minutes more of time of possesion and it was because of short change work like that all night.

He had the right idea in the 1st half. Which is what I was looking for and called for. They were running Robber coverages and rotating Jenkins and Cisco in that role over the middle to help rush Mahomes and shorten Kelce's effectiveness.

What kills me is the sudden change up in the second half. They really needed to start sending 5 at that point while playing more man on the outside and doubling Kelce. You could have had Walker work him at the line, then blitz Mahomes while Cisco or Campbell try to come up on him in zone or man.

If you go and look at how the Raiders schemed against him in their two games. Yes. Kelce got them a few times in the redzone. However, that's the tendency there. You jam him, you hit him and you double him to keep him from killing you to get inside the redzone.

Why we didn't do that? Especially with a hobbled Mahomes. Blood was in the water and Caldwell called the sharks off. It's incomprehensible.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Agree with everything in this post.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Caldwell and the defense are pretty much responsible for winning the 4 games prior to this Chiefs Matchups. We held the Jets & Texans to 3 points each, then won the Titans game because of the D. Regarding the Chargers game, the D was put in lousy field position off of the 5 turnovers in the 1st half and then held the Chargers to 3 points in the 2nd half when the Jags took care of the ball.

Seems to me that when Trevor was lousy, the D brought us victories. That said, KC is one of the top offenses in the NFL whereas we have one of the youngest Ds in the league. Giving Caldwell another year and building stability on this team is not even a question that should grant any other consideration.

Last game of the year is disappointing for most teams, except the SB winner. Caldwell, I feel improved the D from October's collapse untill now... I hate to criticize him now. All I'm going to say is that Lovie Smith is available... Maybe we could bring Lovie in as a consultant or something? I don't know...

The D yesterday was kinda... less than I expected.

(01-22-2023, 10:39 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Caldwell and the defense are pretty much responsible for winning the 4 games prior to this Chiefs Matchups.  We held the Jets & Texans to 3 points each, then won the Titans game because of the D.  Regarding the Chargers game, the D was put in lousy field position off of the 5 turnovers in the 1st half and then held the Chargers to 3 points in the 2nd half when the Jags took care of the ball.

Seems to me that when Trevor was lousy, the D brought us victories.  That said, KC is one of the top offenses in the NFL whereas we have one of the youngest Ds in the league.  Giving Caldwell another year and building stability on this team is not even a question that should grant any other consideration.

All the teams you mentioned below average offenses with bad QB play.

Cowboys, ravens, chargers, chiefs, lions are who he should be graded on. 

All leave me without a vote of confidence considering all that we invested on that side of the ball in draft and free agency…. 

Were they opportunistic and did they play really hard at times? yes… but they just as much looked lost in coverage, had poor game planning and guys out of position, and failed to take advantage of opportunities.

Will
He get better with experience I hope so. But don’t want to waste this teams best years on someone who can’t get it done with the talent we have on d. 

I would say hell yes if we could hire Lovie Smith in any way…. Great example of a guy who’s players play a zone scheme techanicallt sound and consistent on every play. Would love to see him feast on texans as well lol.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 11:01 AM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

Can't win in the playoffs giving up 9 ypc and letting Chad Henne orchestrate a 98 yard TD drive. Chad flippin Henne! I don't think we can drag Caldwell to a Super Bowl, we need a definitive upgrade at DC we should be better on that side.

I don't think you fire Caldwell at this point. You get him to turn things around, maybe bring in an assistant to help him. Next year, I think is where Caldwell should be evaluated. I'm not saying he's going to turn it around, but I'd give him another year with an assistant to help him with his weaknesses and help him grow as a coach.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

That Chiefs offense is ridiculous and anybody can see that.  Still and all, there’s no way we should have let freaking Henne lead them on a ninety-eight yard TD drive.  That team is going to get theirs and there’s nothing you can do about that, but you’ve got to stop them a few times over the course of a game. That drive by Henne was the difference in the game and it will stick in my craw all off season.

(01-22-2023, 04:10 AM)BritJag Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 12:51 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: If he comes back for next season I highly doubt we go farther than we did this year.

What makes you think he cannot get better after his very first year (or technically 5 months) at the job? After helping the team limit the league's best offense to below their league average, in a game in which his team's offense did not play well? And in a year in which the team overachieved, with the defense outrightly winning several games, though they surely lost several too.

Any breakdown on why him in particular would hold the team back from advancing further, even if he gets an upgrade in personnel? To me, his unit kept the team in the game in the second half, despite the lack of rush on the hurt but elusive QB and Kelce's demoralizing impact. They at least covered, prevented big plays, and held the Chiefs to 10 pts in the second half. 

Getting rid of the DC depicts an incredibly short leash for a major cog of a brand new regime, and will send conflicting messages to all parties involved. Don't you think? I don't consider Caldwell exceptional, mind you, but culture building involves many facets. A transitioning squad like Jacksonville has to tread cautiously, in my view.

I don't know how someone can watch the game last night (and the entire season) and still ask this.

Mahomes was not 100%
Barely put any pressure on him
Let Henne score with ease

He didn't improve enough to give him another year. Keep him and you will waste a big opportunity next year... unless Trevor plays at a Brady level.
With the cap (or lack of) space we are not likely to have better players on Defense...
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 11:48 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 5 times in total.)

I don't think they will fire Mike Caldwell.  The Chiefs scored 10 points in the second half.  For the 4 games prior to that, the Jaguars gave up no more than 3 points in the second half. 

Chargers 3
Titans 3
Texans 3
Jets 0

So many people say things like, we need to get better corners, better safeties, better linebackers, better defensive linemen, and then they'll turn around and say we should fire the defensive coordinator, not seeing the inherent contradiction.

My opinion is, we just need to keep doing what we're doing.  It's working.  We'll get there.

Agree we need to give it more time

I'd like to see better scheming
Making a concerted effort to eliminate the primary playmaker of the passing offense
Better utilization of the available talent
More swagger, more confidence, need more attitude

Rush D is what kept them in games. Pass rush and Zone coverage must improve.
And if you are going to play press coverage, then dont let the speed guys free release. This happened way too much.

Caldwell has to ramp up the intensity and focus. Too many lapses in focus.

(01-22-2023, 11:09 AM)JagCard Wrote: That Chiefs offense is ridiculous and anybody can see that.  Still and all, there’s no way we should have let freaking Henne lead them on a ninety-eight yard TD drive.  That team is going to get theirs and there’s nothing you can do about that, but you’ve got to stop them a few times over the course of a game. That drive by Henne was the difference in the game and it will stick in my craw all off season.

Yes, and that they didn't manage to change enough when Mahomes was injured. Surely you can adjust, can't you?

I'm afraid Caldwell is probably at the Dalton line for coordinators. He's going to get another chance because the metrics says the defense wasn't terrible. I will change my mind but as of today I'm ok with both him staying and leaving.

I think it's apparent the defense was instrumental in our success down the stretch. We are limited talent wise though. We don't have any great pass rushers that opposing offenses have to fear and gameplan around. That obviously limits what Caldwell can do. I do think it was a mistake to not be more aggressive with a hobbled Mahomes. But realistically the Chiefs offense didnt do a ton in the 2nd half when Mahomes was playing hurt. I believe they only had 10 points. So it wasn't a terrible outing, they just never made any big plays.

The Chiefs have pass catchers besides Kelce. If you over commit to taking Kelce away, Mahomes has other ways to hurt you.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 12:36 PM by jagshype.)

(01-22-2023, 12:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: The Chiefs have pass catchers besides Kelce.  If you over commit to taking Kelce away, Mahomes has other ways to hurt you.

over a play or two sure
but over the course of an entire game, Campbell and Williams can handle their wideouts

Its even more amplified when Mahomes is injured

(01-22-2023, 12:19 PM)rfc17 Wrote: I think it's apparent the defense was instrumental in our success down the stretch.  We are limited talent wise though.  We don't have any great pass rushers that opposing offenses have to fear and gameplan around.  That obviously limits what Caldwell can do.  I do think it was a mistake to not be more aggressive with a hobbled Mahomes.  But realistically the Chiefs offense didnt do a ton in the 2nd half when Mahomes was playing hurt.  I believe they only had 10 points.  So it wasn't a terrible outing, they just never made any big plays.

plus Henne's 7, i know it wasnt in the 2nd half but still

For the record. I am against Caldwell being fired. However, my biggest issue is how some of the personnel was used. Given that two of them were rookies and Caldwell is a rookie coordinator. I can live with what happened. To some extent.

This team's biggest weakness this season was a consistent, cohesive unit up front. The front four simply could not effect the QB enough this year.

Then you couple that with a secondary, where, basically half of it couldn't play man to man and then when they played zone they would just see opponents immediately work the crossers on the linebacking core.

IMHO, it's a combination of ego, "trusting the process", and growing pains with a lot of new faces working with a new coordinator up to bat. A simple and sooner change with three players during the season between Walker, Lloyd and Williams could have been a difference.

This season coming up is make or break for Caldwell and Baalke. Just my opinion. The defense needs to be a top ten squad in the NFL next year. The defense will have ample regular season opportunities to showcase growth against the best in the game.

We get Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinatti & San Francisco in the regular season. That's a fantastic opportunity for this team to show it's ready for the spotlight and it's really an opportunity to earn a higher play off spot by directly beating those first three teams listed.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Everyone needs to learn from this season.

https://youtu.be/zFT6TFw7e_w

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

He has earned at least another year imo.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]