Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell has to learn from this!

(01-22-2023, 07:01 PM)Dimson Wrote: He has earned at least another year imo.

I agree.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2023, 11:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think they will fire Mike Caldwell.  The Chiefs scored 10 points in the second half.  For the 4 games prior to that, the Jaguars gave up no more than 3 points in the second half. 

Chargers 3
Titans 3
Texans 3
Jets 0

So many people say things like, we need to get better corners, better safeties, better linebackers, better defensive linemen, and then they'll turn around and say we should fire the defensive coordinator, not seeing the inherent contradiction.

My opinion is, we just need to keep doing what we're doing.  It's working.  We'll get there.

This right here. Yes Caldwell has things to improve but he's definitely improved this D as the year went on. Those second half performances gave us the shot at the comebacks, hell the D won the game Week 18. 

I'm not going to criticize him for getting beat by the Chiefs. Give him another year to improve the system, get some more guys in that can help execute it but certainly don't think he's done anything to deserve being fired.

(01-22-2023, 04:08 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Can we get a reputable Defensive coordinator to actually use our talent to its potential?
This is the biggest issue. You can't force players into a 3-4 if they don’t have the skills. The rushers were better suited to have their hands on the ground.

Walker looked a lot better when they moved him inside, Allen is better with a hand down, Key was better, etc.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 08:05 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

What about Caldwell lining up Walker over the Guard on a few plays. That was cool.

I might be the only one but whatever, I like what Caldwell is doing. He ain’t hard headed, he’s moved guys around all year. Gotta respect that.

He dropped Walker, Allen and Key back into coverage way too much yesterday. They should have been going forward a majority of the time and not backwards. Especially in the 2nd half when Mahomes was basically playing on 1 leg.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2023, 07:33 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

The Chiefs only scored 10 points in the second half.  So apparently, whatever Caldwell was doing worked.

I was watching the other games this weekend, and these other teams have pro bowl players all over the place.  That makes it a lot easier to play defense, when you have that kind of roster.

Caldwell seems to be able to make good half time adjustments (look at the last 4 games) he just needs to improve on game planning. He's a rookie coordinator and I think he earned another year like any rookie who shows promise does.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(01-23-2023, 07:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The Chiefs only scored 10 points in the second half.  So apparently, whatever Caldwell was doing worked.

I was watching the other games this weekend, and these other teams have pro bowl players all over the place.  That makes it a lot easier to play defense, when you have that kind of roster.

Yeah, people keep forgetting the Jags don't really have a bunch of stars on defense, and the rookie LB's did not make the in season improvement the team was probably expecting.

Really makes it hard to play more complicated disguised coverages and react to great TE/WR's like Kelce.

Everyone saying that we adjusted well second half and limited Chiefs to 10. I'm not sure if you noticed by Mahomes was actually injured second half. Without that injury it could've easily been a blowout loss.

(01-24-2023, 05:09 AM)wassy04 Wrote: Everyone saying that we adjusted well second half and limited Chiefs to 10. I'm not sure if you noticed by Mahomes was actually injured second half. Without that injury it could've easily been a blowout loss.

Good point. They also racked up an additional 12:00 - 13:00 minutes of time of possession. Indicating we had a difficult time getting them off the football field over the span of four quarters. 

With that being said. He'll be back in 2023 and I expect bigger and better things out of him and this defense. I am sure Baalke will try and address the many issues we've all pointed as fans. As far as lack of an interior pass rushing presence, secondary play, etc. 

The biggest thing is that we need Walker and Lloyd to step up tremendously in 2023. That would help out across the board. I really think we'll only see two, maybe three tops of new players on defense in 2023. One will probably be an old veteran to help on the interior and the other will be drafted more than likely at the nickel CB spot or S spot.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-23-2023, 07:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The Chiefs only scored 10 points in the second half.  So apparently, whatever Caldwell was doing worked.

Lol. Mahommes couldn't run. He was hopping back for handoffs. He couldn't throw the deep ball. Pretty sure anything we would have done, short of not putting players on the field, would have resulted in less points. Caldwell has had some fine second half performances. This wasn't one of them.

At the end of the day, he did okay for his first year. Well enough to get a second year. However, still plenty of room for improvement.

Regarding the Chiefs game. A one footed Mahomes and Kelce can do work to most teams.
I'm okay giving Caldwell another shot. Rookies gotta learn and grow (Walker, Llyod)
We need a solid nb 3t and iol and replace whoever we lose in FA.
I like our direction and position. Don't think we need to blow up any position group or coaching areas just yet.

I would like to see us move back to a more traditional 43 but I'll also trust the dudes that have been doing it for their job a long time.

Lloyd didn't have a full preseason of reps due to injury, and he was positioned differently than in college. Granted, he got worse as the season went on, which is not a good sign, but hopefully a full offseason will help him button up his current shortcomings.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

WELP, I expected this. Back to our Pessimistic Ways.

NH3...
"AZANE"

My only season long gripe about Caldwell is dropping Walker/Allen/Key into coverage too much. Much of the other things he addressed at some point or another and our defense is one of the main reasons for our winning streak to end the year.

I'm still annoyed it seems like we let off the gas when Henne came in and Mahomes came back in. Until the injury Mahomes had someone in his face the entire time. How much of that was Caldwell changing and how much was KC adjusting coverages/calls? Who knows. I'm sure a bit of both.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

never blitzing a quarterback dragging one foot is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen

(01-24-2023, 10:48 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Lloyd didn't have a full preseason of reps due to injury, and he was positioned differently than in college.  Granted, he got worse as the season went on, which is not a good sign, but hopefully a full offseason will help him button up his current shortcomings.

1st -He looked good at first 
 - then his tendencies to bite on misdirection and pre snap motion got exposed
 - then his hesitancy in covering crossers got exposed
 - then he spent several weeks getting more and more comfortable and confident

I think he's back on track for the most part. This offseason should do him good.

The ball was coming out too fast on most plays. They should've went to tight man coverage and forced Chiefs to hold the ball. Basically the defense the Chargers used on us where they played us for the short pass early on.

I think people r underestimating the value of this offseason

Personally I was very happy with how our rookies went this year, looking forward to seeing ETN bulk up (im counting this year as his rookie year ) Fortner putting on beef, walker developing technique as well as Lloyd and Muma

Plus we can't take away the valuable experience from playing in thr Playoffs