Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(01-21-2023, 11:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 10:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: The conventional TE is vastly overrated.

How many are there in the league? Engram is an average blocker but he is very good in space. I’ll take that TE any day of the week. Engram and Key should be top priority for current Jags this off season.

Not if it’s a good one. The problem is finding guys who possess that body combo type of length, strength, and mass, with the ability to leverage it. Gronks and Kelces aren’t laying about, but if you can find one, get him.
Except Kelce isn’t a very good blocker. He’s average as well.

There aren’t many conventional TEs in the league anymore and that’s because the game is evolving.

Engram is exactly who the Jags need on this team. He’s smart (as evidence by the play he got out of bounds earlier this year), reliable and a very good pass catcher. Mayer will be a popular pick for the Jags this year and that’s fine but they can’t go into next year with just Mayer at TE1. Engram needs to be resigned.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 11:24 PM by TheSchmidt. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-21-2023, 10:49 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 10:37 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: I have no clue what Engram will want in his next contract, but you can't be paying Ridley, Kirk, Jones, and Engram all that money. Paying your 3/4 options in the passing game >$10 million a year ain't how you build a team.

Can't cut Jones without penalty.

If we extend ridley after rhe 23 season then jones will be cut.

yes, it hard to see Jones on this team after next year but we gotta worry about this year first

Here is where stand.

-$20 million over the cap
-Can get it to $7 million under with cuts of Jenkins, Griffin, and RRH. Those are really the only viable options they have that make a dent in the number.

That isn't really enough to upgrade the roster or bring back out UFAs (Taylor, Engram, Key, Smoot)

Here is what spotrac says we can save with restructures.
-Kirk, $9.6 million
-Scherff, $6.1 million
-Oluokon, $6.5 million
-Williams, $4.9 million
-Fatukasi, $3.7 million

now, I have zero idea if there are more ways to restructure a contract for a player that would save a different amount, but we'll just go with this. In a perfect world three of those guys will restructure to give us some breathing room. But impossible to say. And we can't forget Allen, Hamilton, and Ridley are UFAs in 2024, so they'll need to make sure to leave wiggle room for them.

Some tough choices for sure will be made and I'm sure some that will really upset some fans, hopefully Trent doesn't screw it up.

(01-21-2023, 11:19 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 10:49 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: If we extend ridley after rhe 23 season then jones will be cut.

yes, it hard to see Jones on this team after next year but we gotta worry about this year first

Here is where stand.

-$20 million over the cap
-Can get it to $7 million under with cuts of Jenkins, Griffin, and RRH. Those are really the only viable options they have that make a dent in the number.

That isn't really enough to upgrade the roster or bring back out UFAs (Taylor, Engram, Key, Smoot)

Here is what spotrac says we can save with restructures.
-Kirk, $9.6 million
-Scherff, $6.1 million
-Oluokon, $6.5 million
-Williams, $4.9 million
-Fatukasi, $3.7 million

now, I have zero idea if there are more ways to restructure a contract for a player that would save a different amount, but we'll just go with this. In a perfect world three of those guys will restructure to give us some breathing room. But impossible to say. And we can't forget Allen, Hamilton, and Ridley are UFAs in 2024, so they'll need to make sure to leave wiggle room for them.

Some tough choices for sure will be made and I'm sure some that will really upset some fans,
Won't upset me at all as long as they finally do what's right and that's build around it's actual strengths. Premium picks need to go towards the offense.

Defensively it becomes easier to play the game you want to play when your offense scores so many damn points or can score quickly enough that your opponent is forced into being one dimensional.

Bolstering the interior offensive line should be the goal this year. Getting any additional skill players with mismatch potential and speed should be the goal this year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-21-2023, 10:56 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 10:51 PM)Newton Wrote: Engram must be resigned

No.  

We have to start thinking differently.  Engram is a really good player, I want him on the team.  That said, he's 28.  This is his last payday.  We don't have 15 mill to give him and he doesn't have 6 premium ears to warrant a longterm cap friendly deal.  

We have 16. You just plug guys around him.

Bruh, Engram is help for #16.  He is his #1 or #2 target.  You do not take that away..

(01-21-2023, 09:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Cuts:
Griffin
RRH
Jenkins
Chaisson

If we just cut Griffin, Chaisson, Claybrooks, and Jordan Smith that's $19+ of the 20 we're over the cap. Jenkins is $8.5 more and RRH is around that same number. We can get there fairly easily and that's not considering restructures or other extensions that could help immediately.

I'm on-board with letting Griffin, Chaisson, Claybrooks and Smith walk. Jamal Agnew has been a good player, but I'd also part ways with him to save an additional $4.5 million. That would total $23.5 million in savings.

The team will likely end up re-signing Engram and that will likely be an additional hit of $12-$15 million, at the least. Add in another $2.5 million for the rookies and my math says they still need to cut about $15 million more.

Question: Is the additional $12 million salary cap for all teams already factored into the Jaguars' number? If not, that brings the number down to only $3 million surplus which could be addressed by re-doing some contracts. If not, it's likely the team will need to cut either RRH or Jenkins. I know both have been somewhat inconsistent, but I'd love to be able to keep both if possible. I'm not sure whom I'd keep between these two if they have to cut one. That will be a tough choice. 

If the team does something like this, the draft will need to focus on pass rushers and offensive linemen. These appear to be the areas needing the most improvement, along with an additional corner/nickelback.

(01-21-2023, 11:27 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 10:56 PM)jj82284 Wrote: No.  

We have to start thinking differently.  Engram is a really good player, I want him on the team.  That said, he's 28.  This is his last payday.  We don't have 15 mill to give him and he doesn't have 6 premium ears to warrant a longterm cap friendly deal.  

Bruh, Engram is help for #16.  He is his #1 or #2 target.  You do not take that away..

He likely becomes #3 next year with Ridley around. And I'm sure he'll be looking for around $13mil a year. That's just not doable (or wise) for a team so strapped against the cap with other receiving options making so much money. Only way I can see it happening is if they can find a trade partner for Zay Jones.

I think they do the following:

• Cut Griffin.
  • Cut either RRH or Jenkins and replace in the draft.
  • Extend Josh Allen with a large signing bonus but lowering the cap hit in 2023.
  • Restructure some other contracts as needed.
  • Let Jawaan Taylor walk in free agency and receive a comp draft pick in 2024.
  • Sign Engram to a multi-year contract with a large signing bonus but a fairly low cap hit in 2023.
  • Try to sign Key, if possible, and as many of the Jags other free agents as the cap allows.
  • Sign minimal free agents from other teams.  Maybe a couple of role players or depth but no major signings.
  • Use the draft to upgrade the roster.

I don't like cutting RRH that's a tough one.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-21-2023, 11:27 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 10:56 PM)jj82284 Wrote: No.  

I agree on keeping Engram. Pederson relies on his tight ends to be big part of the offense and no tight end in Jaguars history exceeded his production. If they let him walk, they will need to use a very high draft choice to replace him and I'd rather the team use the draft to address the offensive line and pass rush. I don't see Engram's age (28) being a problem. We saw a 33 year old Travis Kelsey catch 14 passes today and he's not the first tight end of that age to excel.

Can they still roll over left over cap space from 2022, or was that taken out of the last CBA?

See ya: Jenkins, Griffin
Franchise: Jawann Taylor
Resign: Engram & Key

Restructure whoever to make this happen

(01-21-2023, 10:24 PM)rufftime Wrote: Are we really casually talking about cutting Jenkins and RRH?  I get tough decisions are coming, but Christ

I don't think you need to cut both but you do need to cut one.  We are $20 million over.  Griffin saves $13 million.  Also cutting RRH gets us under.  Jenkins gets us close.  Those are the two players with the most savings by cutting.  If not them, then what's your plan?  The next biggest savings would be Agnew.  Do you prefer him?  Even if so, he only saves $4 million.  Every other player saves less than $2 million.  Your other option is to pull a "Coughlin" and just restructure every contract.  It's nice for 2023 but screws our future.  I think most see this as a team with the potential to be good for many years.  It would be dumb to sell out our future for one year.  Cutting RRH or Jenkins makes the most sense.  Use an early draft pick on a replacement.

(01-21-2023, 10:24 PM)rufftime Wrote: Are we really casually talking about cutting Jenkins and RRH?  I get tough decisions are coming, but Christ

Because this defense is so good?
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-21-2023, 11:51 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 11:27 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Bruh, Engram is help for #16.  He is his #1 or #2 target.  You do not take that away..

I agree on keeping Engram. Pederson relies on his tight ends to be big part of the offense and no tight end in Jaguars history exceeded his production. If they let him walk, they will need to use a very high draft choice to replace him and I'd rather the team use the draft to address the offensive line and pass rush. I don't see Engram's age (28) being a problem. We saw a 33 year old Travis Kelsey catch 14 passes today and he's not the first tight end of that age to excel.

Kelce is a bully.  By that I mean, u get up to press him and he's so strong he breaks the press and gets separation @ the line.  

Ingram is a Plymouth along the ground receiver.  

In a perfect world u keep him.  He's a good player, but he's not a HOF Talent.  Another move TE playing with 16 will put up similar #s

(01-22-2023, 12:54 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 11:51 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I agree on keeping Engram. Pederson relies on his tight ends to be big part of the offense and no tight end in Jaguars history exceeded his production. If they let him walk, they will need to use a very high draft choice to replace him and I'd rather the team use the draft to address the offensive line and pass rush. I don't see Engram's age (28) being a problem. We saw a 33 year old Travis Kelsey catch 14 passes today and he's not the first tight end of that age to excel.

Kelce is a bully.  By that I mean, u get up to press him and he's so strong he breaks the press and gets separation @ the line.  

In a perfect world u keep him.  He's a good player, but he's not a HOF Talent.  Another move TE playing with 16 will put up similar #s

Maybe not HOF, but hes a top 5 TE
and his production will increase with another year in this offense
plus only Farrell is under contract
Resign Engram and back fill with some late pick and undrafteds

(01-22-2023, 01:46 AM)jagshype Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 12:54 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Kelce is a bully.  By that I mean, u get up to press him and he's so strong he breaks the press and gets separation @ the line.  

Maybe not HOF, but hes a top 5 TE

15 million for 5 catches 31 yards?  

He's so indispensable where was he?  He's a good player, but he's not the guy u break the bank for.

Managing the cap is about going out and continuing to find goo players, u find ways to keep the great ones.  U draft a kid who runs sub 4.6 and move on.

(01-22-2023, 01:52 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 01:46 AM)jagshype Wrote: Maybe not HOF, but hes a top 5 TE

He's so indispensable where was he?  He's a good player, but he's not the guy u break the bank for.

Managing the cap is about going out and continuing to find goo players, u find ways to keep the great ones.  U draft a kid who runs sub 4.6 and move on.

No, 15 million for 70 catches and 700+ yards. Again, another year in the system and we see an increase in targets and production.
You know what youll get out of Engram. 
The cap hit can be managed to be in the 8 million range for 2023. 
Dont fear the cap

They will have to restructure salaries into bonuses
Plenty of multi year contracts with high salaries to free up cap and push the hits into the future as bonuses

(01-22-2023, 01:52 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 01:46 AM)jagshype Wrote: Maybe not HOF, but hes a top 5 TE

Ah so that's the secret? You simply just draft a kid who runs sub 4.6? Why didn't they tell us it was that easy...

How the hell r people wanting to cut agnew