Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023, 06:19 PM by Caldrac.)

(03-17-2023, 05:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 04:15 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Per Tony Pauline. Mazi Smith, DT out of Michigan confirmed he did have a meeting with us recently.

He's a Baalke type.  If he's there in the 2nd I could see him being a high possibility
His comp is Dontari Poe. Just rough around the edges. He has a crazy quickness for his size and that's why the upside is there. Wouldn't mind the pick.

Glad RHH is back and Hamilton is still here but we need one more big piece of beef on this roster incase Fatukasi gets hurt again.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Mazi Smith would be a solid 2nd round pick. He'd be able to improve the inside pass rush and his athleticism gives him a high ceiling.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2023, 11:03 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

Andrew Vorhees ... why? Well he has something no one else has. A torn ACL which occurred at the combine of course. Think of it as Baalke bait
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-20-2023, 11:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Andrew Vorhees ... why? Well he has something no one else has.  A torn ACL which occurred at the combine of course.  Think of it as Baalke bait

I wouldn't mind him, but not at 24.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-21-2023, 12:15 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 11:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Andrew Vorhees ... why? Well he has something no one else has.  A torn ACL which occurred at the combine of course.  Think of it as Baalke bait

I wouldn't mind him, but not at 24.

He was a 3rd RD prospect at best prior to the ACL. Wouldn't be a bad pick in RD4 if Baalke doesn't move up.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

would you like to make a tarp joke at this time?

I really hope Vorhees is there in the 4th and we get him

https://youtu.be/dPaW5HghDYw

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 10:26 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

I wonder if Torrence is still in play at 24? I wonder if Scherff could play LG and put Torrence at RG, the same spot in college. Out of any offensive player Torrence might be able to help this team the most. I think Little will finally settle in at RT and play it at a high level with little to no drop off from Taylor.

Cam-Scherff-Fortner-Torrence-Little.

Draft Vorhees in the 4th to potentially take Scherffs spot in 24 if he doesn't play at a Pro Bowl level to get off that contract. I alsonthink Vorhees could be a backup tackle. Trade up to middle of the 2nd to take the best pass rusher when one ends up the top player on the board.

The biggest comparison for Brian Brach to me is Chauncey Gardner. It was crazy to me when Gardner fell to the 4th. He was one of the guys I would of been happy with in the 2nd and I really wanted him when he fell to the 3rd. I never understood why he wet so late in the draft. With that said Gardner ran a 4.48 while Branch ran a 4.58. His 40 time is my only concern yet I love him as a player and he was one of my top 5 prospects for us until his 40 time. Is he fast enough to keep up with this fast slot WRs? Also when you look back, almost all of the elite Safeties in this league ran under a 4.5. Troy, Earl, Benard, etc. If we do draft him hopefully he can be an outlier because I think he's talented enough amd next year he can take over at SS and we can get Jenkings contract off the books. Then in the 2nd hopefully a pass rusher will fall and we can trade up to the middle 2nd and get one. The online would be my only worry at that point if we had a injury in the season.

With the draft just slightly over a month away, this Board has had excellent discussion/speculation on how the Jaguars should address the areas of greatest need. In no particular order, they are clearly offensive line, pass rush and nickel/corner. The following would be my favorite scenarios in addressing these needs come draft time. The Jags will make one trade on day 2 in order to best meet their needs. It will be to move up in round 2 to get Mauch (give up their 2nd and a 4th) or moving up in the 3rd (giving up their own 3rd and one 4th).

Option 1: Brian Branch, Cody Mauch and D.J. Turner

Option 2: Will McDonald, Garrett Phillips, Mathew Bergeron

Option 3: Will McDonald, Cody Mauch and Tre'Vious Hodges-Tomlinson

The Jags moved up in round 2 in scenarios 1 and 3 to get Mauch. They moved up in round 3 in scenario 2 to get Bergeron if they couldn't get Mauch in round 2. Bergeron may not make it to round 3, however.

As much as I love Torrence as a run-blocking interior lineman, his lack of versatility is a concern since a swing tackle is definitely needed. That's the reason I preferred Mauch and Bergeron- who are both capable of playing guard or tackle. If the Jags decide to sign a free agent like Isaiah Wynn or George Fant for a reasonable price prior to the draft, Torrence would be back in the picture as a potential 1st rounder.

Which of these scenarios is best or is there a better one I didn't come up with?

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 04:00 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-25-2023, 02:27 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: With the draft just slightly over a month away, this Board has had excellent discussion/speculation on how the Jaguars should address the areas of greatest need. In no particular order, they are clearly offensive line, pass rush and nickel/corner. The following would be my favorite scenarios in addressing these needs come draft time. The Jags will make one trade on day 2 in order to best meet their needs. It will be to move up in round 2 to get Mauch (give up their 2nd and a 4th) or moving up in the 3rd (giving up their own 3rd and one 4th).

The Jags moved up in round 2 in scenarios 1 and 3 to get Mauch. They moved up in round 3 in scenario 2 to get Bergeron if they couldn't get Mauch in round 2. Bergeron may not make it to round 3, however.

As much as I love Torrence as a run-blocking interior lineman, his lack of versatility is a concern since a swing tackle is definitely needed. That's the reason I preferred Mauch and Bergeron- who are both capable of playing guard or tackle. If the Jags decide to sign a free agent like Isaiah Wynn or George Fant for a reasonable price prior to the draft, Torrence would be back in the picture as a potential 1st rounder.

Which of these scenarios is best or is there a better one I didn't come up with?
I like McDonald but he's a little light for my liking in the first.  I'd rather Foskey if we go edge. Foskey has the size, the athleticism, and multiple years of production from a big time college. I still really want Kancey but he is likely gone when we pick and not sure if Baalke would take him.  I still feel Bresee is a really possibility.  On the Torrence and Mauch debate, who do they think will be the better player. I like versatility but I'd go with who they feel will be the best player.  I'd rather a Pro Bowl or All Pro G than just a good G/T player than can play multiple positions.  If we do take Torrence it doesn't mean we can't still take a swing tackle.  I'm also really high on Avila but I see him as a player that can play just on the interior oline as well.  I don't see Avila playing tackle at the next level but I would love it if we could get him in the 2nd.

Those lighter edge guys don't tend to do so well at the next level

(03-25-2023, 03:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 02:27 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: With the draft just slightly over a month away, this Board has had excellent discussion/speculation on how the Jaguars should address the areas of greatest need. In no particular order, they are clearly offensive line, pass rush and nickel/corner. The following would be my favorite scenarios in addressing these needs come draft time. The Jags will make one trade on day 2 in order to best meet their needs. It will be to move up in round 2 to get Mauch (give up their 2nd and a 4th) or moving up in the 3rd (giving up their own 3rd and one 4th).

I like McDonald but he's a little light for my liking in the first.  I'd rather Foskey if we go edge.  Foskey has the size, the athleticism, and multiple years of production from a big time college. I still really want Kancey but he is likely gone when we pick and not sure if Baalke would take him.  I still feel Bresee is a really possibility.  On the Torrence and Mauch debate, who do they think will be the better player. I like versatility but I'd go with who they feel will be the best player.  I'd rather a Pro Bowl or All Pro G than just a good G/T player than can play multiple positions.  If we do take Torrence it doesn't mean we can't still take a swing tackle.  I'm also really high on Avila but I see him as a player that can play just on the interior oline as well.  I don't see Avila playing tackle at the next level but I would love it if we could get him in the 2nd.

(03-25-2023, 04:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Those lighter edge guys don't tend to do so well at the next level

Those shorter interior guys don't tend to do so well at the next level. 

McDonald can add weight.

Kancey can't add length.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 04:43 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-25-2023, 04:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 03:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like McDonald but he's a little light for my liking in the first.  I'd rather Foskey if we go edge.  Foskey has the size, the athleticism, and multiple years of production from a big time college. I still really want Kancey but he is likely gone when we pick and not sure if Baalke would take him.  I still feel Bresee is a really possibility.  On the Torrence and Mauch debate, who do they think will be the better player. I like versatility but I'd go with who they feel will be the best player.  I'd rather a Pro Bowl or All Pro G than just a good G/T player than can play multiple positions.  If we do take Torrence it doesn't mean we can't still take a swing tackle.  I'm also really high on Avila but I see him as a player that can play just on the interior oline as well.  I don't see Avila playing tackle at the next level but I would love it if we could get him in the 2nd.

(03-25-2023, 04:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Those lighter edge guys don't tend to do so well at the next level

McDonald can add weight.

Kancey can't add length.

(03-25-2023, 03:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like McDonald but he's a little light for my liking in the first.  I'd rather Foskey if we go edge.  Foskey has the size, the athleticism, and multiple years of production from a big time college. I still really want Kancey but he is likely gone when we pick and not sure if Baalke would take him.  I still feel Bresee is a really possibility.  On the Torrence and Mauch debate, who do they think will be the better player. I like versatility but I'd go with who they feel will be the best player.  I'd rather a Pro Bowl or All Pro G than just a good G/T player than can play multiple positions.  If we do take Torrence it doesn't mean we can't still take a swing tackle.  I'm also really high on Avila but I see him as a player that can play just on the interior oline as well.  I don't see Avila playing tackle at the next level but I would love it if we could get him in the 2nd.

McDonald can add weight.

Kancey can't add length.

How many elite guys with that build have there been other than Donald and Randle?  It's rare for a DT to have the talents, quickness, and power that Kancey has.

(03-25-2023, 04:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

McDonald can add weight.

Kancey can't add length.

McDonald can add weight.

Kancey can't add length.

How many elite guys with that build have there been other than Donald and Randle?  It's rare for a DT to have the talents, quickness, and power that Kancey has.  kancey is rare, we have seen 100's of guys built like McDonald that didn't make it

Name me some guys that had the size, quickness and production that Kancey has had that didn't make it? Guys built like McDonald that had production in college come out every year and usually don't pan out

Von Miller only weighed 7 pounds more than McDonald when he came out.

Who is the most recent success at DT that's close to 6'1" - 281pounds - and has 30.6" arms?

(03-25-2023, 05:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Von Miller only weighed 7 pounds more than McDonald when he came out.

Who is the most recent success at DT that's close to 6'1" - 281pounds - and has 30.6" arms?
Yes Miller was heavier amd Miller was a different breed. Those 2 players aren't close.  Miller was also a anomaly being how small he was.  

What's is the most recent DT than ran a 40 as fast as Kancey?  Oh that's right, there isn't any.  The arm length doesn't bother me like it does you.  I think Kancey is a unicorn. You don't see guys do what he has done at his size.  I see Will McDonalds every year.  I even like McDonald I just wouldn't draft a smaller edge like that in the first unless he was special.  Maybe McDonald will be a beast and Kancey is just too small but it just my opinion.  You abviosly see it the opposite so we can always come back to this thread and see how it pans out

You always bring up his arm length when thats the least of mybworries for a DT. If he busts ill change my opinion on arm length for DTs and I was wrong. If he turns out to be good it's clear you were wrong. We will come back to this

(03-25-2023, 06:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 05:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Von Miller only weighed 7 pounds more than McDonald when he came out.

Yes Miller was heavier amd Miller was a different breed. Those 2 players aren't close.  Miller was also a anomaly being how small he was.  

What's is the most recent DT than ran a 40 as fast as Kancey?  Oh that's right, there isn't any.  The arm length doesn't bother me like it does you.  I think Kancey is a unicorn. You don't see guys do what he has done at his size.  I see Will McDonalds every year.  I even like McDonald I just wouldn't draft a smaller edge like that in the first unless he was special.  Maybe McDonald will be a beast and Kancey is just too small but it just my opinion.  You abviosly see it the opposite so we can always come back to this thread and see how it pans out

Not necessarily - just pointing out my observations

just as you pointed out your observations about McDonald (which was the point - you're dismissing a player based on an improvable trait but embracing another based on a trait he can't change) 

I don't claim to know how either will turn out 

Kancey will be a cool story if he pans out - but the odds are stacked against him and arm length is widely considered a very important trait in DTs despite your insistence that it is not