Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

(01-22-2023, 02:59 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 10:50 AM)carp8dm Wrote: Uh...

I think you meant Pork Chop, bud

Who the [BLEEP] is pork chop?

pot roast?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2023, 03:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We pick 25th
Technically.

But because the Fins forfeit pick 21, it’s essentially the 24th pick.

Get the Big Uglies

(01-22-2023, 03:45 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 03:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We pick 25th
Technically.

But because the Fins forfeit pick 21, it’s essentially the 24th pick.

Gotcha

(01-22-2023, 12:36 PM)rfc17 Wrote: I dont understand why some say we shouldnt look at defensive line in the first round since we have already invested a lot of capital there of late (whether it be draft picks or free agents).  Unless you fully believe Travon will develop into a top pass rusher (and I'm not sure why anyone would think that based on his first year), rushing the passer continues to be our biggest need.  Yes we have put in effort and money to find one but you don't always hit on every draft pick or every free agent signing.  It is a critical need at arguably the 2nd most important position in football.  If there is a guy we think could become a really good pass rusher sitting there at the end of the first round you take him.  That trumps all other potential needs whether it be a guard or tight end or nickel or whatever.

I'm in total agreement with you and surprised more people on this Board don't see pass rushers as the top need for the off-season. The most consistent pass rusher on the team for much of the season was Smoot and he will likely be gone. Arden Key came on strong at the end of the season rushing the passer and he will also seek more money from another team via free agency. If Mike Caldwell intends to continue to utilize a 3-4 defense as his base, he needs to decide prior to the draft whether Walker can improve significantly as a pass rusher from this position. Can he learn better pass rush moves to justify keeping him at the Edge along with Josh Allen? The consensus opinion from those who know about evaluating talent is that Walker would be more effective playing defensive end in the 3-4. He would be a major asset in stopping the run and could still average 8-10 sacks per year by overpowering the lineman blocking him. 

As you said, pass rusher is arguably the 2nd most important position after quarterback. There is likely to be a very good pass Edge rusher on the Board at pick 24 since this is probably the deepest position along with cornerback in the draft. If they have a player from a different position of need (such as offensive lineman) rated highest they could still get a very good Edge in round 2. Most of our fans would likely be very happy with the 1st 2 rounds going like this:

Round 1: Torrence or Broderick Jones

Round 2: Anudike-Uzomah, Ojulari or Lukas Van Ness

The team will also need to add a tight end to complement Engram as well as a run stopping defensive lineman and nickel-back during this draft. Teams coming off 4 wins in 2 seasons will always have several needs to address to be solid in all areas.

So u think we can fix our OLine problems in FA ?

(01-22-2023, 08:40 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: So u think we can fix our OLine problems in FA ?

You think we're gonna have the cap room to fix the O-line in FA?

I mean, the Jags are definitely going to free up cap room, but let's be honest, you pay big premium money in FA for the bigguns, and I'm not sure the Jags are going to have big premium money..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-22-2023, 08:47 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 08:40 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: So u think we can fix our OLine problems in FA ?

You think we're gonna have the cap room to fix the O-line in FA?

I mean, the Jags are definitely going to free up cap room, but let's be honest, you pay big premium money in FA for the bigguns, and I'm not sure the Jags are going to have big premium money..

That's right. I'd expect the Jaguars to focus on re-signing their own players in free agency. They will likely re-sign Engram and make an attempt to keep Arden Key. The offensive line definitely needs an upgrade at the guard position, but this can be addressed sometime during the 1st 3 rounds of the draft. I do expect Fortner to improve in season 2 and Schereff was playing hurt at the end of this season. Taylor had his best season, especially in pass protection, but he is still a below average run blocker and not worth the salary he'll be seeking in free agency. The team can't afford to cut Robinson due to his cap figure so he is likely to start at one tackle spot with Little at the other. As long as Robinson comes back healthy, a line of Robinson, Schereff, Fortner, Little and a rookie like Torrence or Vorhees would be more than adequate with Bartch, Shatley and a developmental rookie tackle as back-ups.

Mock Draft from Pro Football Network mock simulator on 1/23/23

24. Brian Branch S Alabama
56. Lukas Van Ness EDGE Iowa
88. Luke Musgrave TE Oregon State
119. Deonte Banks CB Maryland
125. Emil Ekiyor Jr. OG Alabama
157. Jaxson Kirkland OT Washington
166. Julius Brents CB Kansas State
196. Dontay Demus Jr. WR Maryland

Branch is listed as a Safety, but I project he would be an excellent Nickel CB. Incredible ball awareness and excellent tackler. Lukas Van Ness DE/DT would replace Smoot. Video highlights shows a non-stop motor. Tight End Luke Musgrave is a "Baalke Special." Injured during the 2022 season (only played 2 games), Musgrave has all the measurables to be a top NFL TE. Great blend of speed, hands and blocking ability. CB Deonte Banks is a Mel Kiper sleeper. I'm comfortable with our OL. I think they resign Jawaan Taylor. But, getting some strong backups is necessary in the middle. Ekiyor and Kirkland provide that with upside to eventually start. Kirkland is versatile to play both G and T. Julius Brents is a name that I've seen ranked in the top 100 of CBs. And Dontay Demus is the tall, fast long-strider who can stretch the field and gives TL the one piece in his receiver corp that he's missing.

When we had the 1st overall pick the last 2 years, we went for the best player in the draft. And that’s what you should always do when it’s your turn to pick a player. You draft the best player left in the draft.

(01-23-2023, 10:40 AM)JaxonJag24 Wrote: Mock Draft from Pro Football Network mock simulator on 1/23/23

24. Brian Branch  S Alabama
56. Lukas Van Ness  EDGE Iowa
88. Luke Musgrave  TE Oregon State
119. Deonte Banks  CB Maryland
125. Emil Ekiyor Jr.  OG Alabama
157. Jaxson Kirkland  OT Washington
166. Julius Brents  CB Kansas State
196. Dontay Demus Jr.  WR Maryland

Branch is listed as a Safety, but I project he would be an excellent Nickel CB.  Incredible ball awareness and excellent tackler.  Lukas Van Ness DE/DT would replace Smoot.  Video highlights shows a non-stop motor.  Tight End Luke Musgrave is a "Baalke Special."  Injured during the 2022 season (only played 2 games), Musgrave has all the measurables to be a top NFL TE.  Great blend of speed, hands and blocking ability.  CB Deonte Banks is a Mel Kiper sleeper. I'm comfortable with our OL. I think they resign Jawaan Taylor. But, getting some strong backups is necessary in the middle. Ekiyor and Kirkland provide that with upside to eventually start.  Kirkland is versatile to play both G and T.  Julius Brents is a name that I've seen ranked in the top 100 of CBs.  And Dontay Demus is the tall, fast long-strider who can stretch the field and gives TL the one piece in his receiver corp that he's missing.

Lukas Van Ness is mocked to go anywhere between top ten to early portion of RD2. He reminds me of George Karlaftis at this time. Not a bad comparison. Just not sure he's there at 56. Luke Muskgrave is another player that's mocked anywhere between the early 20's of RD1 to no later than the 2nd RD. It's possible he's not there in RD3. Supposedly he's a freak athlete, he's a coaches son, a coach we're familiar with. 

Tough to see all of that falling that way. Would be nice though.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-23-2023, 10:57 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 10:40 AM)JaxonJag24 Wrote: Mock Draft from Pro Football Network mock simulator on 1/23/23

24. Brian Branch  S Alabama
56. Lukas Van Ness  EDGE Iowa
88. Luke Musgrave  TE Oregon State
119. Deonte Banks  CB Maryland
125. Emil Ekiyor Jr.  OG Alabama
157. Jaxson Kirkland  OT Washington
166. Julius Brents  CB Kansas State
196. Dontay Demus Jr.  WR Maryland

Branch is listed as a Safety, but I project he would be an excellent Nickel CB.  Incredible ball awareness and excellent tackler.  Lukas Van Ness DE/DT would replace Smoot.  Video highlights shows a non-stop motor.  Tight End Luke Musgrave is a "Baalke Special."  Injured during the 2022 season (only played 2 games), Musgrave has all the measurables to be a top NFL TE.  Great blend of speed, hands and blocking ability.  CB Deonte Banks is a Mel Kiper sleeper. I'm comfortable with our OL. I think they resign Jawaan Taylor. But, getting some strong backups is necessary in the middle. Ekiyor and Kirkland provide that with upside to eventually start.  Kirkland is versatile to play both G and T.  Julius Brents is a name that I've seen ranked in the top 100 of CBs.  And Dontay Demus is the tall, fast long-strider who can stretch the field and gives TL the one piece in his receiver corp that he's missing.

Lukas Van Ness is mocked to go anywhere between top ten to early portion of RD2. He reminds me of George Karlaftis at this time. Not a bad comparison. Just not sure he's there at 56. Luke Muskgrave is another player that's mocked anywhere between the early 20's of RD1 to no later than the 2nd RD. It's possible he's not there in RD3. Supposedly he's a freak athlete, he's a coaches son, a coach we're familiar with. 

I also don't see Banks or Demus falling that far either.

(01-23-2023, 10:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 10:57 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Lukas Van Ness is mocked to go anywhere between top ten to early portion of RD2. He reminds me of George Karlaftis at this time. Not a bad comparison. Just not sure he's there at 56. Luke Muskgrave is another player that's mocked anywhere between the early 20's of RD1 to no later than the 2nd RD. It's possible he's not there in RD3. Supposedly he's a freak athlete, he's a coaches son, a coach we're familiar with. 

I also don't see Banks or Demus falling that far either.

Yeah. Demus is still one of the taller, rangier receivers in this class and despite the injuries he's worth a guy developing on your roster. A team that's already stacked and looking ahead could pull the trigger on him as early as RD3, RD4.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think Jenkins is a cap casualty and I think if Brian branch is there when we pick it would be needs meets BAP and he would be an immediate impact player on defense and much, much better than Jenkins has been.

(01-22-2023, 10:50 AM)carp8dm Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 01:48 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: Defensive End never pans out. We've had some banger DTs. Stroud, Henderson, I think Pot Roast was a draft pick.

Uh...

I think you meant Pork Chop, bud

Please gather your personal belongings and report to the front desk. Be prepared to show your Fan Card, the receptionist will know what to do with it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2023/01...o-georgia/

Ringo has fallen down the ladder, I do hope we don't touch him in Rd 1

(01-23-2023, 11:15 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I think Jenkins is a cap casualty and I think if Brian branch is there when we pick it would be needs meets BAP and he would be an immediate impact player on defense and much, much better than Jenkins has been.

Is there a Roster bonus for Jenkins before the draft? I know it sucks for the player to be released that late, but that may be a good way to go about it.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2023, 05:14 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-23-2023, 11:15 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I think Jenkins is a cap casualty and I think if Brian branch is there when we pick it would be needs meets BAP and he would be an immediate impact player on defense and much, much better than Jenkins has been.

Not a fan of this. Would rather wait until RD3 and get a guy like J.L Skinner or John Torchio in RD4. I don't care how you want to slice it. There should be much better value at much better positions of need than S at pick 24.

The question of whether to keep Jenkins is an interesting one. Some believe it's a no-brainer to keep him due to the number of big plays he made this season plus he seems to be a team leader. Others point to his middle of the road PFF grade and weaknesses in coverage. I do agree with you that Branch is a very good player who should be taken somewhere in the low 20's.

(01-23-2023, 07:18 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

The question of whether to keep Jenkins is an interesting one. Some believe it's a no-brainer to keep him due to the number of big plays he made this season plus he seems to be a team leader. Others point to his middle of the road PFF grade and weaknesses in coverage. I do agree with you that Branch is a very good player who should be taken somewhere in the low 20's.

Jenkins is a decent run defender but he is very very bad in coverage. Need to stop the pass to win in today's NFL. Branch can play so many positions, safety, slot, sub LB. He'd make this defense so much better the minute he stepped on the field.