Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

I wonder what's the odds of Kancey falling to our pick? Need the interior pass rush

https://youtu.be/_ndpuokV6ss

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-25-2023, 08:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wonder what's the odds of Kancey falling to our pick?  Need the interior pass rush

Kancey's tape is very impressive. Can't say he was even on my radar until Kiper had him going 10th to the Eagles. His size is definitely a limitation and at 6 foot and 280 pounds he'd fit best as a 3 tech in a 4-3 scheme. Unless the Jaguars go back to a 4-3 base defense, I'm not sure they'd consider taking him in the first round. Most mocks have him going in rounds 2 or 3, however, and he would have to be considered in those rounds due to his elite skills at rushing the passer from the inside.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 12:06 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-25-2023, 10:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 08:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wonder what's the odds of Kancey falling to our pick?  Need the interior pass rush

Kancey's tape is very impressive. Can't say he was even on my radar until Kiper had him going 10th to the Eagles. His size is definitely a limitation and at 6 foot and 280 pounds he'd fit best as a 3 tech in a 4-3 scheme. Unless the Jaguars go back to a 4-3 base defense, I'm not sure they'd consider taking him in the first round. Most mocks have him going in rounds 2 or 3, however, and he would have to be considered in those rounds due to his elite skills at rushing the passer from the inside.

I think Kancey is my top guy right now.  He's built like John Randle and Aaron Donald and I think his interior pass rush could help this team the most.  The quickness at his size in unmatched in this draft imo.  

American Football Coaches Association All-American (first team)
Associated Press All-American (first team)
Football Writers Association of America All-American (first team)
Sporting News All-American (first team)
Walter Camp All-American (first team)
CBS Sports All-American (first team)
ESPN All-American (first team)
Pro Football Focus All-American (first team)
College Football Network (CFN) National Defensive Tackle of the Year
Bronko Nagurski Trophy Finalist
Outland Trophy Finalist
Chuck Bednarik Award Semifinalist
ACC Defensive Player of the Year
First Team All-ACC

All his awards this year looks like when Aaron Donald was coming out.  With his interior quickness and pass rush is exactly what this defense missing.  I think he could play 3-4 end and move inside in nickle packages. He was 280 in college so he will likely be 285 to 290. He's olso only 6' so he is short and stocky and built like a brick wall.  He will be able to power his way up the middle and in gaps or have the quickness to blow by the center or guard.Kancey was the only player in the country to be selected a 2022 finalist for both the Outland Trophy (nation’s best interior lineman) and Bronko Nagurski Trophy (national defensive player of the year)…also earned first team All-ACC for the second consecutive season.

(01-27-2023, 11:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 10:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Kancey's tape is very impressive. Can't say he was even on my radar until Kiper had him going 10th to the Eagles. His size is definitely a limitation and at 6 foot and 280 pounds he'd fit best as a 3 tech in a 4-3 scheme. Unless the Jaguars go back to a 4-3 base defense, I'm not sure they'd consider taking him in the first round. Most mocks have him going in rounds 2 or 3, however, and he would have to be considered in those rounds due to his elite skills at rushing the passer from the inside.

I think Kancey is my top guy right now.  He's built like John Randle and Aaron Donald and I think his interior pass rush could help this team the most.  The quickness at his size in unmatched in this draft imo.  

Outland Trophy Finalist
First Team All-ACC

All his awards this year looks like when Aaron Donald was coming out.  With his interior quickness and pass rush is exactly what this defense missing.  I think he could play 3-4 end and move inside in nickle packages. He was 280 in college so he will likely be 285 to 290. He's olso only 6' so he is short and stocky and built like a brick wall.  He will be able to power his way up the middle and in gaps or have the quickness to blow by the center or guard.Kancey was the only player in the country to be selected a 2022 finalist for both the Outland Trophy (nation’s best interior lineman) and Bronko Nagurski Trophy (national defensive player of the year)…also earned first team All-ACC for the second consecutive season.

I would like to see Arden Key re-signed and have Walker, Key, Kancey and Allen on the field at the same time in passing situations. This rotation would be very tough for offensive lines to deal with.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 04:16 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

I know it’s early but I can’t peg this draft at all.

It’s all over the place. From the top QB, to the WRs and to the TEs. No consensus players at premium positions.

No clue on who will be available to the Jags at 24 so it’s hard to mock someone there right now.

Kancey goes top 13 in Kipers mock and then not even in round 1 in others. A completely wide open draft.

(01-27-2023, 04:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 11:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Kancey is my top guy right now.  He's built like John Randle and Aaron Donald and I think his interior pass rush could help this team the most.  The quickness at his size in unmatched in this draft imo.  

Outland Trophy Finalist
First Team All-ACC

I would like to see Arden Key re-signed and have Walker, Key, Kancey and Allen on the field at the same time in passing situations. This rotation would be very tough for offensive lines to deal with.

That's the dream.  Also with the improvement Walker makes in his 2nd year. Kancey is what this defense is missing to take the next step

(01-27-2023, 04:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I know it’s early but I can’t peg this draft at all.

It’s all over the place. From the top QB, to the WRs and to the TEs. No consensus players at premium positions.

No clue on who will be available to the Jags at 24 so it’s hard to mock someone there right now.

Kancey goes top 13 in Kipers mock and then not even in round 1 in others. A completely wide open draft.

All of this is true. There is likely to be a very good player at a position of need (Edge, Interior pass rusher, offensive line, cornerback) when the Jaguars pick in round 1. Since the offensive line class appears to have the least talent at the top, my hope would be that Torrence or Broderick Jones would be the pick. On day 2, they could still have potential starters at nickel, Edge and DT on the board. Although I believe Engram will be re-signed, a tight end could also provide the best value in rounds 2 or 3; Washington, Musgrave and LaPorta would all be excellent picks.

The Senior Bowl next week should help determine how these prospects will ultimately be ranked.

(01-27-2023, 04:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I know it’s early but I can’t peg this draft at all.

Kancey doesn't have the length of other IDL prospects.  Combine measurement and drills may go a long way to figuring out his range.
Some GMs may steer away from the measurable. I'd guess he's less suited to 3-4 systems as a result in the minds of some.

Picking 24th is gonna be interesting. I have absolutely no clue who will be left on the board when we pick. I just hope we take the best available player.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023, 08:14 AM by wg171. Edited 2 times in total.)

Using Bucky Brooks first mock draft who would your pick be for the Jags??

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/bucky-brooks-20...in-round-1

I doubt I would take Ringo. Would very seriously consider Anudike-Uzomah

(01-29-2023, 08:03 AM)wg171 Wrote: Using Bucky Brooks first mock draft who would your pick be for the Jags??

Kancey

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023, 12:38 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

There are so many different ways we can improve this team.  A deep threat at WR.  A stud interior offensive lineman.  Improved pass rush.  Better coverage on the back end.  Etc. etc. etc.  Almost anything we do will not only improve that position, but indirectly improve a lot of other positions. 

If we draft a great OG, not only is the run game improved, but play action becomes more effective.  A deep threat at WR stretches the defense, allowing more room for our other receivers underneath.  Improved pass rush helps the coverage.  Improved coverage helps the pass rush.  Better defense means our offense doesn't have to play from behind.  Better offense means the opposing offense has to play from behind. 

This is why I lean towards drafting the best available player.  And at pick 24, it can be almost any position.  Pick 24 is where you get a great player at a less valued position.   But not QB or RB or LB.  Any other position.

(01-29-2023, 12:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are so many different ways we can improve this team.  A deep threat at WR.  A stud interior offensive lineman.  Improved pass rush.  Better coverage on the back end.  Etc. etc. etc.  Almost anything we do will not only improve that position, but indirectly improve a lot of other positions. 

If we draft a great OG, not only is the run game improved, but play action becomes more effective.  A deep threat at WR stretches the defense, allowing more room for our other receivers underneath.  Improved pass rush helps the coverage.  Improved coverage helps the pass rush.  Better defense means our offense doesn't have to play from behind.  Better offense means the opposing offense has to play from behind. 

This is why I lean towards drafting the best available
player.  And at pick 24, it can be almost any position.  Pick 24 is where you get a great player at a less valued position.   But not QB or RB or LB.  Any other position.

Most definitely.  My top 5 bigboard is 5 different positions lol.

(01-29-2023, 08:03 AM)wg171 Wrote: Using Bucky Brooks first mock draft who would your pick be for the Jags??

Based on Bucky Brooks' mock, I would most likely take either Uzomah or Lukas Van Ness. Both are excellent pass rushers, although opinions on their ultimate landing spots vary greatly. Hopefully, our scouts will do a deep dive into both and accurately determine which will be the better NFL player.

A couple other notes regarding Brooks' draft. He has Torrence going higher, at pick 13, than any other mock I've seen. If Torrence is still on the board at 24, I'd have a very tough time deciding between him and the two pass rushers. Most likely, the choice would be whoever I considered the BAP. However, if the difference between the top 2 was very slight I'd most likely take Torrence since it is much more likely that a high quality pass rusher will be available in round 2 than an interior lineman.

I really like Drew Sanders but only if we are staying in a 3-4 defense and moving Walker to 3-4 end.

Finally someone who doesn't have us taking Ringo lol

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...se-passer/

Not gonna lie, I haven't heard much about Dalton

(01-30-2023, 11:07 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Finally someone who doesn't have us taking Ringo lol

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...se-passer/

Not gonna lie, I haven't heard much about Dalton

Is Kincaid better than Nigba?

(01-30-2023, 08:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I really like Drew Sanders but only if we are staying in a 3-4 defense and moving Walker to 3-4 end.

If Walker is playing 34 End full time then we wasted that pick.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-31-2023, 07:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-30-2023, 08:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I really like Drew Sanders but only if we are staying in a 3-4 defense and moving Walker to 3-4 end.

If Walker is playing 34 End full time then we wasted that pick.

I don't like that characterization.  If a player is overdrafted, it doesn't mean the pick was wasted.  Maybe he should have been picked 5th, or 10th, but if he's a good player, the pick is not "wasted."  I think you're overdoing it when you use that word.