Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jamal Agnew

(01-23-2023, 10:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Out of all of the teams that played this past weekend and overall game wise? I felt like our team held it's own the best. Giants laid down to the Eagles. The Bills really didn't look like they wanted that game enough against the Bengals. Dallas continues to look anemic offensively with Prescott under center.

This team really pulled off some really, really cool things all season with a new coaching staff and a lot of new faces around the team.
Well Giants are frauds.

They're going to make the same mistake the 2017 Jags did and that's pay an average to below average QB all because he had one mediocre season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2023, 10:09 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Gotta keep him.

Got to.

Agnew was fantastic this year. he made some great plays for us and unfortunately cost us a TD in the chiefs game, but he also had two huge Returns for great field position. to put the loss on his is absurd. Biggest game of the year and our OL at least parts of it played like crap. take all this and move on to next year and with more experience and another year in the same system. imagine that being a thing around here. same system.

Gonna have to release somebody. It's going to be interesting to see who.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Agnew had some pretty big play opportunities throughout the regular season. We either botched it in the backfield or it was just off his fingertips. Add in that ankle tackle against the Chiefs and the way he played against the tacks at home and Chargers at home and I would say he's easily one of the LEAST concerns on the football team.

If anything, he's somebody you continue to develop and come up with more ways offensively to get him involved in a field flipping play or red zone play. This offense is really, really [BLEEP] close to being one of those 40 - 50 TD's on the year type of football teams. Need to resolve the left guard spot and hope Fortner takes a giant step forward at center.

Adding one more behemoth at TE that can make plays like a Hockenson, Hurst or Knox type would be ideal. We could get that on our offense potentially between Michael Mayer, Darnell Washington or Luke Muskgrave. This enables this offense to do a lot more than I think people realize. Imagine having what the Eagles had offensively with Pederson between Ertz & Goedert BUT with this receiving core and Etienne in his backfield? Plus Agnew?

There's a lot of creativity there for Pederson to work with. Arnold and Manhertz are just guys. Not a group we could use to really command respect or compliment Engram. Having a guy like Mayer or Washington? Man, being able to run twin TE sets, motion either one of those guys, flexing Etienne out of the backfield? The RPO stuff? All of that opens up more.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-23-2023, 11:13 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Agnew had some pretty big play opportunities throughout the regular season. We either botched it in the backfield or it was just off his fingertips. Add in that ankle tackle against the Chiefs and the way he played against the tacks at home and Chargers at home and I would say he's easily one of the LEAST concerns on the football team.

If anything, he's somebody you continue to develop and come up with more ways offensively to get him involved in a field flipping play or red zone play. This offense is really, really [BLEEP] close to being one of those 40 - 50 TD's on the year type of football teams. Need to resolve the left guard spot and hope Fortner takes a giant step forward at center.

Adding one more behemoth at TE that can make plays like a Hockenson, Hurst or Knox type would be ideal. We could get that on our offense potentially between Michael Mayer, Darnell Washington or Luke Muskgrave. This enables this offense to do a lot more than I think people realize. Imagine having what the Eagles had offensively with Pederson between Ertz & Goedert BUT with this receiving core and Etienne in his backfield? Plus Agnew?

There's a lot of creativity there for Pederson to work with. Arnold and Manhertz are just guys. Not a group we could use to really command respect or compliment Engram. Having a guy like Mayer or Washington? Man, being able to run twin TE sets, motion either one of those guys, flexing Etienne out of the backfield? The RPO stuff? All of that opens up more.

Can’t wait for the draft and next season! This team has me stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

How good of a corner was Agnew? We need another good one. Maybe he's better served playing ST and CB.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

When we first signed Agnew I was very hesitant on his contract. I felt like we overpaid a "returner". Hes done nothing but show he was worth every penny.
In Dougie I Trust!

They can't keep Agnew at just under 6m for the season as the 4th receiver, at best.

Ridley, Zay and Kirk will all be here and they will probably be looking/planning to pay Ripley something.

He will be cut for the money unless its a massive restructuring that pays him a lot less then 6m a year. We have so many other needs and reasonably a two year window to push for the super bowl.

I don't think he's on the team next year.

i don't see any scenario where we don't keep agnew. he is great at ST and pretty good on Offense. he's not a Starter Caliber guy but he makes alot of great plays almost every week that helps the team.

I’d like to keep him as he was a difference maker. I can’t blame him for the fumble. It was a mistake…..not a mental error. [BLEEP] happens. There are a lot of “what ifs” to go around on Saturday’s game. Glad there were a lot of “what ifs” instead of blow outs like Philly/NY & Buffalo/Cincy.

You keep Agnew. You keep Taylor. You trade Cam. You cut Griffen. Smoot is a casualty. Ardent Key is a tough call, but I'd keep him. You restructure certain D-Linemen. Jenkins should be kept as well.

I mean, there are so many ways to hold on to what is good and cut the dudes we don't need. But some of you posters are just not really thinking through the salary cap and what needs to happen.

Most of you guys aren't even looking at the actual depth Versus salary equation.

Just sit tight.

Let's see what Baalke does. Honestly, there's a lot of (as Americus2.0 would say) boners going on. But if we shoot our load too quick, we'll wind up trying scrambling again in November.

Baalke's off-season is HUGE. And it's being ignored by most of the fan base because of what a great high we are all on right now.

(01-23-2023, 02:28 PM)burt1jason Wrote: I’d like to keep him as he was a difference maker.  I can’t blame him for the fumble.  It was a mistake…..not a mental error.  [BLEEP] happens.  There are a lot of “what ifs” to go around on Saturday’s game. Glad there were a lot of “what ifs” instead of blow outs like Philly/NY & Buffalo/Cincy.

Can't fault an effort mistake.  

Don't know who said it but recall a saying, "A man has to know his limitations."  I don't think the Jags win the SD without Agnew.  Maybe its good to learn you can't win the game all by yourself.

(01-23-2023, 02:41 PM)carp8dm Wrote: You keep Agnew.  You keep Taylor.  You trade Cam.  You cut Griffen.  Smoot is a casualty.  Ardent Key is a tough call, but I'd keep him.  You restructure certain D-Linemen.  Jenkins should be kept as well. 

I mean, there are so many ways to hold on to what is good and cut the dudes we don't need.  But some of you posters are just not really thinking through the salary cap and what needs to happen.

Most of you guys aren't even looking at the actual depth Versus salary equation.

Just sit tight. 

Let's see what Baalke does.  Honestly, there's a lot of (as Americus2.0 would say) boners going on.  But if we shoot our load too quick, we'll wind up trying scrambling again in November. 

Baalke's off-season is HUGE.  And it's being ignored by most of the fan base because of what a great high we are all on right now.

No one is taking Cam, he's a 22 million dollar hit next year coming of his second knee surgery. 

Smoot is already a FA so no help to the cap; same with Taylor, Key, Engram. 

Josh Allen could be restructured to reduce his number. He's a base salary only hit of over $10m, but it's guaranteed so we can't just cut him. An extension could cut that number in half next year if he's agreeable.

The guys who can help the cap the most being cut are Griffin, RRH, Jenkins, Chaisson, and Agnew. Outside of them it's a few guys who are about $1 million on the cap each.

I like Agnew and would propose a restructure that adds 3 years and converts his current year money to prorated bonus. That should give him his walking money and keep him here for the rest of his prime years.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-23-2023, 02:41 PM)carp8dm Wrote: You keep Agnew.  You keep Taylor.  You trade Cam.  You cut Griffen.  Smoot is a casualty.  Ardent Key is a tough call, but I'd keep him.  You restructure certain D-Linemen.  Jenkins should be kept as well. 

I mean, there are so many ways to hold on to what is good and cut the dudes we don't need.  But some of you posters are just not really thinking through the salary cap and what needs to happen.

Just sit tight. 

Let's see what Baalke does.  Honestly, there's a lot of (as Americus2.0 would say) boners going on.  But if we shoot our load too quick, we'll wind up trying scrambling again in November. 

Baalke's off-season is HUGE.  And it's being ignored by most of the fan base because of what a great high we are all on right now.

You sure make it seem like the salary cap issues will be easy to solve. I have a few questions to ask about this:

1. Which team will accept a trade for Cam Robinson? He is a slightly above average tackle who has had 2 significant injuries during his 6 year career. He will be making $18 million next season after returning from a meniscus injury. In hindsight, the Jaguars brass are likely kicking themselves about overpaying him when they'd have been better off letting him walk and going with Walker Little at left tackle and Jawaan Taylor at right tackle.

2. If Robinson is not able to be traded, how will you be able to keep Taylor? He had his best season by far and is likely to command a pretty hefty contract in free agency. Walker Little was drafted to eventually become a starting tackle, preferably on the left side. He passed every test when replacing Robinson and will likely be counted on to be a critical part of this team's nucleus moving forward. Regardless of how many contracts the team is able to re-structure during the off-season, I don't see how they will be able to afford Taylor when they have other players like Engram and Key who are free agents and will command significant deals to remain in Jacksonville.

(01-23-2023, 04:21 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Just sit tight. 

You sure make it seem like the salary cap issues will be easy to solve. I have a few questions to ask about this:

1. Which team will accept a trade for Cam Robinson? He is a slightly above average tackle who has had 2 significant injuries during his 6 year career. He will be making $18 million next season after returning from a meniscus injury. In hindsight, the Jaguars brass are likely kicking themselves about overpaying him when they'd have been better off letting him walk and going with Walker Little at left tackle and Jawaan Taylor at right tackle.

2. If Robinson is not able to be traded, how will you be able to keep Taylor? He had his best season by far and is likely to command a pretty hefty contract in free agency. Walker Little was drafted to eventually become a starting tackle, preferably on the left side. He passed every test when replacing Robinson and will likely be counted on to be a critical part of this team's nucleus moving forward. Regardless of how many contracts the team is able to re-structure during the off-season, I don't see how they will be able to afford Taylor when they have other players like Engram and Key who are free agents and will command significant deals to remain in Jacksonville.

1. No one.
2. You can't.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-23-2023, 04:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 04:21 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: You sure make it seem like the salary cap issues will be easy to solve. I have a few questions to ask about this:

1. No one.
2. You can't.

Thank you. I believe the answer to question 1 is 100% correct.  As far as keeping Taylor, I wouldn't be totally against re-signing him if the contract was reasonable. He was the team's best offensive lineman this season. They could then release Robinson after next season when the dead cap hit DROPS to $5 million. Unfortunately, they'd still have a dilemma regarding where to play Little and Robinson this coming season. I don't see Cam moving to guard based on his previous comments when this had been discussed.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2023, 09:02 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'm not sure Jawaan Taylor is going to get many high dollar offers. I think the Jags may be able to keep him, and one of the three tackles could become the new starting LG, at least temporarily.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Wink 

(01-23-2023, 04:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Just sit tight. 

No one is taking Cam, he's a 22 million dollar hit next year coming of his second knee surgery. 

Josh Allen could be restructured to reduce his number. He's a base salary only hit of over $10m, but it's guaranteed so we can't just cut him. An extension could cut that number in half next year if he's agreeable.

The guys who can help the cap the most being cut are Griffin, RRH, Jenkins, Chaisson, and Agnew. Outside of them it's a few guys who are about $1 million on the cap each.

I like Agnew and would propose a restructure that adds 3 years and converts his current year money to prorated bonus. That should give him his walking money and keep him here for the rest of his prime years.

Griffin and Chaisson seem to be "no-brainer" cuts. RRH and Jenkins are tougher calls to make. RRH was very valuable down the stretch while Jenkins made some game-changing plays. However, both were inconsistent and cutting them would save a lot of money, as you indicated.

I've already stated my opinion that Agnew is not worth his cap hit, but should be re-structured like you indicated. I took a lot of heat for even suggesting that he was not worth the salary cap hit for next season. Based on the passion of these criticisms, I wondered whether Jamal's family members were using aliases to make their feelings known Smile

(01-23-2023, 07:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 04:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No one is taking Cam, he's a 22 million dollar hit next year coming of his second knee surgery. 

Griffin and Chaisson seem to be "no-brainer" cuts. RRH and Jenkins are tougher calls to make. RRH was very valuable down the stretch while Jenkins made some game-changing plays. However, both were inconsistent and cutting them would save a lot of money, as you indicated.

I've already stated my opinion that Agnew is not worth his cap hit, but should be re-structured like you indicated. I took a lot of heat for even suggesting that he was not worth the salary cap hit for next season. Based on the passion of these criticisms, I wondered whether Jamal's family members were using aliases to make their feelings known Smile

This actually made me chuckle...  In another conversation I had, someone mentioned Jamal as "Jag-new", and that really hit home.  Dude just feels like a Jag, like a little brother of mine.  I'd hate to lose him.  Same with a guy like Wingard.  Wingard is that idiot step brother you're forced to hang out with and then eventually realize he's your best friend.

Guys like that, you just want on your team...