Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interior olineman

(02-06-2023, 09:52 PM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 01:30 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I echo your thoughts regarding Broderick Jones. He'd be the top guy on my board for the reasons you mentioned. Torrence has a better chance of falling to us, however his outstanding week at the Senior Bowl would make it surprising if he's a Jaguar come April 27. Assuming both these players are gone, the pick gets much tougher. Like you said, the cornerback class is incredibly deep and a starting nickel can be found at the end of round 3. Someone like Rush, Moss or Brents- to name just 3- is likely to be there at pick 88. 

If the top 2 O. Linemen are off the board, I'd likely wait until round 2 and hope that either Avila or Vorhees are available. Vorhees' stock seems to have dropped some, but he looks like a plug and play guard like Avila. I'm sure this will change come April 27, however the players I'd consider at pick 24 after the two linemen are:

Brian Branch: Unlikely there, but could drop.

Michael Mayer or Luke Musgrave: Both these tight ends are also capable blockers and Pederson would have a field day calling plays with one of these and Engram on the field. Mayer is the safer 
                                                pick, but Musgrave may have even more upside.

Devon Witherspoon: Could play nickel for a year and then replace Darious Williams. I'd still take another corner later in the draft. Jags should double-up on corner and offensive line.

I'd like your thoughts on this and when will we get your first mock draft? Welcome back- there's no shame in taking a sabbatical after years of frustration due to horrible draft picks, free agents and awful coaching!

Branch is good if he would be available, but I'd still rather choose a nickle later in the draft. 

I'd wait on a TE. This is a pretty good TE class and we NEED to re-sign Engram. We could add a pretty good one to compliment him in the 4th or 5th round. 

Witherspoon is the best CB in the draft. I think he is the first CB off the board. He should be long gone when we pick. I'd take a Nickle Corner and an outside CB for depth. Might as well double down at a weak position, since the class is so deep. 

Mock draft? I don't do those. I have no idea what other team's front offices are thinking. Plus, teams always draft guys I've never heard of before from schools I've never heard of. 

??????? Sabbatical? I was only off the board for like a day. I had to take my daughter on a college visit Sunday. Did you mean to post that for someone else?
Thanks for your response. Hope your daughter had a good visit; I'm sure it's an exciting time for her and your family. Sorry about my mistaking your identity; your posts are very similar in style to a previous member who was a passionate fan and prolific poster. He became so frustrated with the team that he announced his departure from this sight.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-07-2023, 12:30 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 09:52 PM)IKhan't Wrote: Branch is good if he would be available, but I'd still rather choose a nickle later in the draft. 

I'd wait on a TE. This is a pretty good TE class and we NEED to re-sign Engram. We could add a pretty good one to compliment him in the 4th or 5th round. 

Witherspoon is the best CB in the draft. I think he is the first CB off the board. He should be long gone when we pick. I'd take a Nickle Corner and an outside CB for depth. Might as well double down at a weak position, since the class is so deep. 

Mock draft? I don't do those. I have no idea what other team's front offices are thinking. Plus, teams always draft guys I've never heard of before from schools I've never heard of. 

??????? Sabbatical? I was only off the board for like a day. I had to take my daughter on a college visit Sunday. Did you mean to post that for someone else?
Thanks for your response. Hope your daughter had a good visit; I'm sure it's an exciting time for her and your family. Sorry about my mistaking your identity; your posts are very similar in style to a previous member who was a passionate fan and prolific poster. He became so frustrated with the team that he announced his departure from this sight.

No worries. At least now I know why I have been getting some strange responses to my posts. 

It was a good trip. She's decided she wants to stay in-state, so we are looking at colleges where she will be able to drive home on breaks. We've visited a couple so far, but she hasn't made any decisions. She's 17 so, we have time before she's makes a final decision. It could come down to who offers the best scholarship. She's a smart kid. She certainly didn't get her brains from me or her mother though. LOL.

(02-07-2023, 10:12 PM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-07-2023, 12:30 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Thanks for your response. Hope your daughter had a good visit; I'm sure it's an exciting time for her and your family. Sorry about my mistaking your identity; your posts are very similar in style to a previous member who was a passionate fan and prolific poster. He became so frustrated with the team that he announced his departure from this sight.

No worries. At least now I know why I have been getting some strange responses to my posts. 

It was a good trip. She's decided she wants to stay in-state, so we are looking at colleges where she will be able to drive home on breaks. We've visited a couple so far, but she hasn't made any decisions. She's 17 so, we have time before she's makes a final decision. It could come down to who offers the best scholarship. She's a smart kid. She certainly didn't get her brains from me or her mother though. LOL.
We went through the same thing with our daughter (only child) 15 years ago. She decided on FSU over Florida since they offered a better scholarship. Not gonna lie, but dropping her off to start college brought on a flood of tears- and I'm not normally a crier (not even during Jaguars' games for the past 15 years)! She's now working in Boston, but thanks to the wonders of facetime we're able to talk several days each week. 

Regarding the case of mistaken identity, you actually should consider it a complement. The guy you were confused with typically had excellent posts and was quite knowledgeable (in my opinion) about the Jaguars.

(02-08-2023, 01:55 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-07-2023, 10:12 PM)IKhan't Wrote: No worries. At least now I know why I have been getting some strange responses to my posts. 

We went through the same thing with our daughter (only child) 15 years ago. She decided on FSU over Florida since they offered a better scholarship. Not gonna lie, but dropping her off to start college brought on a flood of tears- and I'm not normally a crier (not even during Jaguars' games for the past 15 years)! She's now working in Boston, but thanks to the wonders of facetime we're able to talk several days each week. 

Regarding the case of mistaken identity, you actually should consider it a complement. The guy you were confused with typically had excellent posts and was quite knowledgeable (in my opinion) about the Jaguars.

The college visits are one thing, but I'm kinda putting the reality of her leaving out of my mind until the time comes. When it does, I'm sure I'll be a mess, but I guarantee I'll be more composed than her mother.

(02-08-2023, 09:52 PM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 01:55 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: We went through the same thing with our daughter (only child) 15 years ago. She decided on FSU over Florida since they offered a better scholarship. Not gonna lie, but dropping her off to start college brought on a flood of tears- and I'm not normally a crier (not even during Jaguars' games for the past 15 years)! She's now working in Boston, but thanks to the wonders of facetime we're able to talk several days each week. 

The college visits are one thing, but I'm kinda putting the reality of her leaving out of my mind until the time comes. When it does, I'm sure I'll be a mess, but I guarantee I'll be more composed than her mother.

All I can say is take pride in her success and be excited about her future.

You guys sound like great Dads.

Now, what was this thread about?
Tongue

Anyway - 

I'm keeping an eye on Mauch and Tippman right now. Both seem like good fits to compete at LG with Bartch and possibly be a reserve center if Fortner doesn't take the next step we all hope he takes. 

Really hard to know where this staff and front office stand on adding OL personnel, but I'm hoping the pressers preceding free agency in a month or so will reveal some hints. 

Analysts seem very split on whether IOL will be a draft target at all. I sure hope it is.

Tongue 

(02-09-2023, 12:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You guys sound like great Dads.

Tongue

Anyway - 

I'm keeping an eye on Mauch and Tippman right now. Both seem like good fits to compete at LG with Bartch and possibly be a reserve center if Fortner doesn't take the next step we all hope he takes. 

Really hard to know where this staff and front office stand on adding OL personnel, but I'm hoping the pressers preceding free agency in a month or so will reveal some hints. 

Analysts seem very split on whether IOL will be a draft target at all. I sure hope it is.

Thanks for getting us back on topicSmile

I prefer Mauch to Tippman; he might even be able to play tackle due to his athleticism. I see no way he drops to our 2nd round pick, but wouldn't hate it if they took him in the first. Even better, trading back to early in round two (if a 3rd rounder is thrown in) would be ideal.

Tongue

Anyway - 

I love Mauch. I'd consider him at #24. He can line up anywhere on the O-Line. If Tippman made it to our 4th rounder (#114 overall) I'd consider him there. Tippman has never played OG. He's only played Center. If we drafted him, I'd feel better playing him at Center and moving Fortner to LG, because Fortner played both OG's spots at Kentucky, before moving to Center.

Tongue

Anyway - 

I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone would think we don't need inside O-Line help. It's obvious we need competition at RT, a Nickle Corner, an Edge pass rusher and an inside pass rusher. We need depth at TE, assuming we re-sign Engram, (which I am praying we do.) We might need a starting Safety too, depending on if we cut Jenkins and his large salary. Those are the most glaring needs, IMO.

(02-10-2023, 04:30 AM)IKhan't Wrote:

Tongue

Anyway - 

I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone would think we don't need inside O-Line help. It's obvious we need competition at RT, a Nickle Corner, an Edge pass rusher and an inside pass rusher. We need depth at TE, assuming we re-sign Engram, (which I am praying we do.) We might need a starting Safety too, depending on if we cut Jenkins and his large salary. Those are the most glaring needs, IMO.

I agree. Cuts and free agency will be telling, but despite IOL being top of my wish list there are still analysts out there ignoring it in mocks and a few local guys saying flat out that the team won't draft OL early this year. 

I hope they are wrong. 

To the folks who don't want OL help, I say: 

Yes, Trevor made it through the year with a low number of sacks, and yes he is evasive and gets the ball out quickly. 

But, what if he actually had time to find downfield receivers and wasn't the fourth most hurried QB in the league?

How long do you want to roll the dice allowing him to take 39 hits on the year? 

What if his league-low average pocket time of 2.2 seconds increased to the benchmark 2.5? 

He'd blow the roof off of defenses league wide.

(02-10-2023, 09:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 04:30 AM)IKhan't Wrote: I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone would think we don't need inside O-Line help. It's obvious we need competition at RT, a Nickle Corner, an Edge pass rusher and an inside pass rusher. We need depth at TE, assuming we re-sign Engram, (which I am praying we do.) We might need a starting Safety too, depending on if we cut Jenkins and his large salary. Those are the most glaring needs, IMO.

I agree. Cuts and free agency will be telling, but despite IOL being top of my wish list there are still analysts out there ignoring it in mocks and a few local guys saying flat out that the team won't draft OL early this year. 

I hope they are wrong. 

To the folks who don't want OL help, I say: 

Yes, Trevor made it through the year with a low number of sacks, and yes he is evasive and gets the ball out quickly. 

But, what if he actually had time to find downfield receivers and wasn't the fourth most hurried QB in the league?

How long do you want to roll the dice allowing him to take 39 hits on the year? 

What if his league-low average pocket time of 2.2 seconds increased to the benchmark 2.5? 

He'd blow the roof off of defenses league wide.
I'd be disappointed if the Jaguars don't add both an interior lineman and developmental offensive tackle in the draft. Broderick Jones and Torrence would be my first round pick if either is on the board with Mauch closely behind. The team was very fortunate he wasn't more seriously injured after being sacked by James Houston in the Lions game. Imagine if that injury was as bad as it first appeared; the exciting second half of the season would have only been a dream.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 10:33 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I think we roll with Fortner at C being he was a rookie this past year and he showed flashes. I definitely think we go G in the first few rounds. I think it's a good chance one of these guards will be there with our 2nd or 3rd pick that will be at the top of our board.

Avila or Vorhees is my hope

I am starting to come around on the need to beef up the o-line. The thing that worries me is that most many mocks have both Jones and O’Torrence gone before 24. Maunch also usually goes around where we pick. Are there anyone else that could be considered in the 1st round?

(02-16-2023, 07:33 AM)Norseman Wrote: I am starting to come around on the need to beef up the o-line. The thing that worries me is that most many mocks have both Jones and O’Torrence gone before 24. Maunch also usually goes around where we pick. Are there anyone else that could be considered in the 1st round?

I doubt Jones or Torrence will be available when we get to our first round pick, but we don't have to use our first round pick to address the interior line. There have been a ton of Pro Bowl and All-Pro interior offensive linemen drafted throughout the years who have been selected in the middle rounds. Personally, I believe this draft has some pretty decent depth at the OG and Center positions and even at OT. I would definitely consider Cody Mauch, if he were still on the board at #24, but there are other guys I really like in that 2nd, 3rd and even 4th round range which include Steve Avila of TCU, Olusegun Oluwatimi of Michigan, Braeden Daniels of Utah, Jarrett Patterson of Notre Dame, Asim Richards of North Carolina, Jaxson Kirkland of Washington and a few others whose names escape me at the moment. There will be good interior linemen available in the mid rounds, we just need to identify the right ones.

(02-17-2023, 08:58 AM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 07:33 AM)Norseman Wrote: I am starting to come around on the need to beef up the o-line. The thing that worries me is that most many mocks have both Jones and O’Torrence gone before 24. Maunch also usually goes around where we pick. Are there anyone else that could be considered in the 1st round?

I doubt Jones or Torrence will be available when we get to our first round pick, but we don't have to use our first round pick to address the interior line. There have been a ton of Pro Bowl and All-Pro interior offensive linemen drafted throughout the years who have been selected in the middle rounds. Personally, I believe this draft has some pretty decent depth at the OG and Center positions and even at OT. I would definitely consider Cody Mauch, if he were still on the board at #24, but there are other guys I really like in that 2nd, 3rd and even 4th round range which include Steve Avila of TCU, Olusegun Oluwatimi of Michigan, Braeden Daniels of Utah, Jarrett Patterson of Notre Dame, Asim Richards of North Carolina, Jaxson Kirkland of Washington and a few others whose names escape me at the moment. There will be good interior linemen available in the mid rounds, we just need to identify the right ones.

The O-linematters

(02-17-2023, 09:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 08:58 AM)IKhan't Wrote: I doubt Jones or Torrence will be available when we get to our first round pick, but we don't have to use our first round pick to address the interior line. There have been a ton of Pro Bowl and All-Pro interior offensive linemen drafted throughout the years who have been selected in the middle rounds. Personally, I believe this draft has some pretty decent depth at the OG and Center positions and even at OT. I would definitely consider Cody Mauch, if he were still on the board at #24, but there are other guys I really like in that 2nd, 3rd and even 4th round range which include Steve Avila of TCU, Olusegun Oluwatimi of Michigan, Braeden Daniels of Utah, Jarrett Patterson of Notre Dame, Asim Richards of North Carolina, Jaxson Kirkland of Washington and a few others whose names escape me at the moment. There will be good interior linemen available in the mid rounds, we just need to identify the right ones.

The O-linematters

I get what you are referring to now that it was explained to me. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not that guy. For one, I can see where some people would think that screen name is kind of offensive. I wouldn't use that. I'm not here to offend anyone. I just wanna talk football. 

Those are O-Linemen that I saw in the all-star games and during the season that impressed me. I'm certainly no expert on the matter. Personally, I am hoping a really good pass rusher falls to us in round 1. Our lack of a consistent pass rush on the interior and exterior is maddening. I'm a big fan of Isaiah Foskey of Notre Dame. He has ideal size at 6'5" 265 lbs. In the past two seasons combined, he has 65 pressures and 22 sacks. I think he would be a great replacement for Josh Allen in 2024. Foskey is probably the guy I am wishing to fall to #24 the most. I think he could really help turn our pass rush around.

Yea, I see no way Jones will be available for the Jaguars. Torrence, on the other hand, could possibly fall to 24; some mocks still have him making it out of the first round. I'm still undecided on whether I'd select him in round 1. If an Edge rusher, IDL or cornerback whom they have rated similarly to Torrence is still available I'd likely prefer that. As you said, the Jaguars can find quality guards as late as round 4 or 5. Avila could be very good and can also play center so taking him in the 2nd round wouldn't bother me. That being said, if they believe Torrence is likely to be a plug and play guard who is likely to become an all-pro I'd be fine with taking him at 24. That's what I like about this particular draft class; the Jaguars should have 3 or 4 very good options during each of the 1st 3 rounds when they can find immediate starters at positions of need (nickel, Edge, IOL, IDL). They should absolutely not reach for any player during these rounds despite believing they can overcome significant flaws/inconsistencies demonstrated at the college level.

Bartch was a 4th rounder.  His replacement doesn't have to be a first rounder but let's not try 4th round again either.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-17-2023, 10:41 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 08:58 AM)IKhan't Wrote: I doubt Jones or Torrence will be available when we get to our first round pick, but we don't have to use our first round pick to address the interior line. There have been a ton of Pro Bowl and All-Pro interior offensive linemen drafted throughout the years who have been selected in the middle rounds. Personally, I believe this draft has some pretty decent depth at the OG and Center positions and even at OT. I would definitely consider Cody Mauch, if he were still on the board at #24, but there are other guys I really like in that 2nd, 3rd and even 4th round range which include Steve Avila of TCU, Olusegun Oluwatimi of Michigan, Braeden Daniels of Utah, Jarrett Patterson of Notre Dame, Asim Richards of North Carolina, Jaxson Kirkland of Washington and a few others whose names escape me at the moment. There will be good interior linemen available in the mid rounds, we just need to identify the right ones.

Bartch was a 4th rounder.  His replacement doesn't have to be a first rounder but let's not try 4th round again either.

More like, let's not try a small school 4th rounder. Bartch didn't see anything close to the level of competition he now sees in the NFL when he played college at St. John's (Minn.)