Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The toy that changed the world

On this day in history, Jan. 23, 1957, Wham-O produces first Frisbees, reshaping leisure, sport

Flying disc began as campus activity at New England colleges, now boasts sports leagues worldwide

Frat-house frolics became a national obsession when Wham-O Manufacturing Co. of California began producing the Pluto Platter — soon renamed the Frisbee — on this day in history, Jan. 23, 1957. 

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/this-d...sure-sport
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Frisbees are failed boomerangs. Every time I throw one, it’ll complete only 1/2-1/3 the arc. Idk how those guys play frisbee golf.

I played a lot of ultimate Frisbee when my kids were teenagers. We'd meet up with groups all around and play a few matches. You've never sucked wind until you've played a game of competitive Ultimate.

(01-23-2023, 08:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I played a lot of ultimate Frisbee when my kids were teenagers. We'd meet up with groups all around and play a few matches. You've never sucked wind until you've played a game of competitive Ultimate.

As much as I [BLEEP] about my daughter on an iPad, I almost am glad my offspring is in the computer age.  I’d probably have a heart attack if I tried to play like I did as a kid.  Even if I can’t, I’d still try to be competitive to win. She will play some sports.  And I admittedly give too much when I play with her.  Wears my butt out.

[Image: HlvYOiP.jpg]

That's the toy that changed my world..

Hours, upon hours, upon hours.. Just me, that garage and my old matchbox cars.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-23-2023, 08:32 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [Image: HlvYOiP.jpg]

That’s pretty cool!   You had it better than I did.  I had a GI Joe, some yarn, and a ball I fashioned out of tin foil.  That and rocks and sticks.  Had immense fun with all of them. Joe would repel from the end table from the yarn.  The tin foil ball had indefinite uses.  We were poor, but I had fun.  Wish I could go back in time!

And that was last month.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2023, 08:45 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-23-2023, 08:36 PM)Jags Wrote:

That’s pretty cool!   You had it better than I did.  I had a GI Joe, some yarn, and a ball I fashioned out of tin foil.  That and rocks and sticks.  Had immense fun with all of them. Joe would repel from the end table from the yarn.  The tin foil ball had indefinite uses.  We were poor, but I had fun.  Wish I could go back in time!

The only GI Joe I ever had was a William The Refrigerator Perry GI Joe.. You had to collect like cereal box tops for them and send em in with money lol

Being a Bears fan as a kid, that thing went everywhere with me lol

When it finally arrived in the mail, I felt like I hit the lotto lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHjwtq97rE

Saw the thread title and assumed it was about a battery-operated toy for the ladies.  Sorry, I'll see myself out.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-23-2023, 09:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Saw the thread title and assumed it was about a battery-operated toy for the ladies.  Sorry, I'll see myself out.

Freak lol

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 10:12 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Frisbee has been around as the discus since at least 400BC in Greece. They just didn't throw it to each other.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-23-2023, 09:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Saw the thread title and assumed it was about a battery-operated toy for the ladies.  Sorry, I'll see myself out.

I had a girlfriend and her bestie female roommates (2) live with me for a time many years ago. Their 3 piece collection had names: "Lumpy", "Slick Rick", and "Mr. Big". I forever felt inadequate after that experience.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-24-2023, 12:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I had a girlfriend and her bestie female roommates (2) live with me for a time many years ago. Their 3 piece collection had names: "Lumpy", "Slick Rick", and "Mr. Big". I forever felt inadequate after that experience.

Girlfriend, 2 BFFs and toys?  I'm sorry your performance didn't measure up to their standards.  Did they at least let you watch?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 08:31 PM by Jags.)

(01-24-2023, 12:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

They weren’t the most original girls.  Could’ve came (no pun intended) up with better names.  I bet “Mr Big’s” owner was the heaviest one.  Am I right?

(01-24-2023, 10:05 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Frisbee has been around as the discus since at least 400BC in Greece.  They just didn't throw it to each other.

Considering the originals were carved from stone, yeah, I can see that...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-24-2023, 08:52 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 10:05 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Frisbee has been around as the discus since at least 400BC in Greece.  They just didn't throw it to each other.

Considering the originals were carved from stone, yeah, I can see that...

Hey mike, go carve me a frisbee so I can throw it at ya.

Dude, you're not alone.  Ninja