Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's

With the season for us officially over and the draft positioning pretty much locked in. I am just looking to see how everybody's team needs and big three prospects at each position vary from poster to poster. I also tried to narrow it down to realistic options expected to be on the board. 

Interior Offensive Lineman:
O'Cyrus Torrence - Florida
Andrew Vorhees - USC
Steve Avila - TCU

Tight End:
Michael Mayer - Notre Dame
Darnell Washington - Georgia
Sam LaPorta - Iowa 

Interior Defensive Lineman:
Gervin Dexter - Florida
Cory Durden - NC State
Zacch Pickens - South Carolina 

Edge Rusher:
Zach Harrison - Ohio St. 
Karl Brooks - Bowling Green
Isaiah McGuire - Missouri 

Nickel Cornerback:
Garrett Williams - Syracuse
Riley Moss - Iowa
Kei'Trel Clark - Louisville
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2023, 10:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: With the season for us officially over and the draft positioning pretty much locked in. I am just looking to see how everybody's team needs and big three prospects at each position vary from poster to poster. I also tried to narrow it down to realistic options expected to be on the board. 

Andrew Vorhees - USC
Steve Avila - TCU

Tight End:
Sam LaPorta - Iowa 

Gervin Dexter - Florida
Cory Durden - NC State

Edge Rusher:
Zach Harrison - Ohio St. 

Nickel Cornerback:
Riley Moss - Iowa
My team needs are similar to yours, however the order of mine is different:

Edge Rusher: I'm moving Walker to Defensive End and assuming Smoot and possibly Key will be gone:

1. Felix Anudike-Uzomah
2. B.J. Ojulari
3. Zack Harrison

Interior Offensive Line:

1. O'Cyrus Torrence
2. Andrew Vorhees
3. Steve Avila

*** If Broderick Jones is available at 24, I'd take him and start him at guard for 1 year before moving him to tackle.

Nickel cornerback:

1. Clark Phillips III.
2. Tre,Vious Hodges Tomlinson
3. Garrett Williams

Interior Defensive Line:

1. Siaki Ika
2. Mazi Smith
3. Gervin Dexter

Tight End:

1. Luke Musgrave
2. Darnell Washington
3. Sam LaPorta

These choices were based on your guideline of realistic options when the Jaguars are picking. I didn't include Mayer at tight end since there's no way I'm taking this position in Round 1 ahead of Edge Rusher or Offensive Line. As much as I like Mayer, I'm keeping Engram. However, if Musgrave falls to round 2 I'd strongly consider him due to his value at this spot.

1. Pass rush
2. Interior olone
3. Nickel corner
4. TE
5. Pass rush/ oline

This is assuming we resign Engram and Key

(01-23-2023, 06:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1. Pass rush
2. Interior olone
3. Nickel corner
4. TE
5. Pass rush/ oline

This is assuming we resign Engram and Key

I also think Key should get more snaps than he did this year. That said,

1 Interior O-Line
2 TE
3 Nickel
now you have 3 4th round picks get Dline, Edge and DB here

Hard to say exactly what the biggest needs are without knowing who is back. If I were a GM, I would probably draft both a defensive and offensive lineman each year. And if I wasn't stacked at the positions I'd probably draft them somewhat early. So that is a clear bias I have in terms of needs. I believe in the planet theory where there are only so many big guys in the world that you get them early. For this particular group, I initially though Jawaan is likely a cap casualty, but after playing around with Spotrac and seeing how cap money we can move into 2024 and 2025, I think they can bring him back if they want to. We have so much room in 2024 as it is. But then we'd get so much more additional cap space by releasing Scherff and Cam after next year that I don't think we have to worry about cap issues. Saying that, I'm imagining a world where we bring back this entire offensive line (Jawaan, Cam, Little, Scherff, Fortner, Bartch, Shatley) for 2023. But with the expectation that it is very possible Cam and Scherff are gone in 2024. It is possible at some point next year Little beats out Cam. While that may not create a dire need in 2023, it does create a potential huge risk in 2024 which should be addressed in 2023.

biggest needs -
1) inside pass rush
2) outside pass rush
3) guard
4) TE
5) deep speed WR

I don't know enough about the prospects to have a favorite list. I'd probably just look at rankings board and pick guys I recognize which is dumb. A few random thoughts as I've looked at mock drafts and stumbled upon some players.

Andrew Vorhees at USC seems like a great find if available in the second. Tons of experience. Played all across the line. Could possibly step in an win a guard job right away. And we'd have so much solid depth.
Lukas Van Ness - decent sack stats for a guy that, from what I've read, hasnt been a starter. Seems like he has elite physical tools. And I've seen him listed all over the place in mocks so could be available in the first. why wasnt he a starter though? if he was a starter with 10 sacks a year instead of a backup with 7 would he be a top 10 pick? is it just the lower reps hurting his stock or is there something else wrong with him?
Drew Sanders - started off 3-4 OLB for Bama. transferred to Arkansas where he became a MLB. Seems like the dude has tons of speed and has a knack for getting to QBs. just too scrawny to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL? if he put on 20 pounds would he lose his speed. if he had to be at his current weight and play mike LB then we dont need him. With travon occupying the line as a 3-4 end would love to find a guy with speed off the edge.
Saika Ika - I saw him mocked around us in the late 1st. The dude is huge but weird thing is all the scouting reports say he isnt great at clogging the line. but that he is quick for his size and can get to the QB. he has the size of a nose which we dont really have. and if he could get pressure on the middle, that could be a game changer for our defense. not sure exactly what type of dlineman he'd be though.

Unless someone unexpected falls, I think I'd rather have 3 second round picks than our late first and late second. And I think this team desperately needs someone who could be a gamechanger getting after the QB. inside or outside, doesnt matter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2023, 10:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: With the season for us officially over and the draft positioning pretty much locked in. I am just looking to see how everybody's team needs and big three prospects at each position vary from poster to poster. I also tried to narrow it down to realistic options expected to be on the board. 

Andrew Vorhees - USC
Steve Avila - TCU

Tight End:
Sam LaPorta - Iowa 

Gervin Dexter - Florida
Cory Durden - NC State

Edge Rusher:
Zach Harrison - Ohio St. 

Nickel Cornerback:
Riley Moss - Iowa
I don't know that I will list Tight End as a major need at this point, but it IS important for a few reasons:
  • It becomes a major need if the Jaguars allow Engram to get away.  Considering his importance to Trevor Lawrence's development, allowing him to get away despite his repeated statements indicating how much he enjoyed playing here and how much he wants to stay, I'm not sure how the off season could be viewed as anything but a failure if he is not re-signed.
  • It's also important because the team needs quality depth at the position.  Actually I don't think that statements does the importance of this position any justice.  Aside there is no quality depth behind Engram if should Engram get hurt, adding a quality TE would help diversify this offense in terms of personnel groupings and give us potentially more match up advantages.  With two TEs, we would have a run dominant personnel grouping, with two guys who had size and speed advantages over most LBs trying to cover them, or advantages over any DBs employed  to cover them.
  • My top TEs:
  • Michael Mayer
  • Dalton Kincaid-Hearing he runs in the 4.4 range.  If true, that would maximize the matcvhup issues the 2 TE package would create
  • LaPorta, Iowa
  • Darnell Washington

Edge Rusher-Considering we didn't have a particularly strong pass rush when completely healthy, we are bound to lose some contributors like like Smoot and RRH, it's a major need.  The way I see it, one of the biggest differences between us and the rest of the contenders in the AFC is we seemed to be the one team in the playoffs without a dominant pass rusher or rotation of at least good pass rushers.  Still formulating my thoughts on this position.  I think Isaiah Foskey has a nice burst, but I'm fearful all he has is that outside rush, and I don't know if he has the frameand power to develop more physical ounter moves.  I think the guy from Texas Tech won't be available when we pick at 24.  I like what I have seen of Zach Harrison.  My next guy to study is Iowa's Lukas Van Ness.

Secondary-Minimally, we need to upgrade two spots-Griffin and Tre Herndon.  Griffin's level of play in no way justified his salary, and Herndon can be upgraded.  I have zero confidence in Herndon's ability to cover anyone effectively as a nickel.  He lacks the size and speed to be effective in any coverage and was exploited too often.

Interior O Line:  I wasn't too comfortable with LG at all last year, starting in trainig camp and continuing throughout the year.  Too often we had failures in short yardage not solely attributable to Etienne not being a particularly strong inside runner.  Too often we were beaten at the LOS.  At times, Scherff was brilliant.  Other times, whether due to his injuries or whatever, he was beaten in pass protection.  See the first KC game where we had no answer for Chris Jones.  I would like to add at least one G as an upgrade

Tackle-Much like the TE analysis, this becomes higher on the priority list depending on whether we can re-sign Jawaan Taylor.  I qould like two starting calber LTs and two starting caliber RTs.  That might seem a bit excessive, but this team's success lies with Trevor Lawrence. We got lucky because we almost had that situation when we Jawaan Taylor went down with a mild hamstring injury, and we lost Cam Robinson on the very next play.  If Taylor's hamstring injury was more serious, it's possible we miss the playoffs.   If we have a slew of injuries at the position, we have to be able to survive that stretch.  Based on his limited time at LT, Walker Little has looked good enough at LT for most Jaguars fans to feel comfortable with him at LT-if not outright preferring him to Cam Robinson there.

Wide Receiver At first glance, it doesn't seem like such a need given Kirk and Jones are returning, and Calvin Ridley is lkely to join the team after being reinstated this tear,  But as the wild card game illustrated, we may need more speed outside.  If speed is the primary trait we are looking to add, Zay Flowers and Jalin Hyatt are two guys to consider,  Hyatt is more straight linish while Flowers is the better route runner.  There are other guys we can find in the 2nd round or below, including AT Perry, Dontayvion Wicks.  They have speed, and, if we want to replicate Marvin Jones' physical style, WIcks and Perry can do that, too.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023, 08:04 PM by IKhan't. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. Edge Rusher:  I agree with many of you about moving Walker to 3-4 DE/4-3 DT. We need a true 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE who can consistently get to the opposing QB. There were way too many times this season when opposing QB's had all day to throw. That cannot continue to happen. I really want Will Anderson, but obviously, that ain't happening.

1. Isaiah Foskey, DE/OLB, Notre Dame
2. Lukas Van Ness, DE/OLB, Iowa
3. Drew Sanders, DE/LB, Arkansas

Darkhorse: Thomas Incoom, DE/LB, Central Michigan

2. Interior O-Line: Our interior O-Line was pathetic. We are stuck with Scherff due to his cap number. He was a huge problem. I would like to bring in a reasonably priced veteran Center to push Fortner, but LG is wide open. This would be my #2 overall need. I don't see O'Cyrus Torrence falling to #24, so I'm not even gonna bother listing him. I prefer players with experience at multiple positions, so we can move them around when an injury occurs.

1. Steve Avila, OG/C, TCU
2. Jaxson Kirkland, OG/OT, Washington
3. Braeden Daniels, OG/OT, Utah

Darkhorse: Tyler Beach, OG/OT, Wisconsin

3. Nickle Corner: Darius Williams has found a home on the outside. Now we need to find his replacement at Nickle.

1. Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina
2. Brian Branch, CB/S, Alabama
3. Clark Phillips, CB, Utah

Darkhorse: Jartavius Martin, CB/S, Illinois

1. Pass Rusher:  We were ranked 28th in pass defense.  We need to get to the opposing quarterback.

2. Interior Offensive Line:  This was our weakest offensive position.  We hopefully get a starter at guard and move Bartch to depth.

3.  Nickel Corner - Darious Williams successfully moved inside late in the season, but we still have a huge hole at nickel.  Herndon is a free agent, but even if he wasn't, he sucks.

4.  Tight End:  I'm assuming we resign Engram, but we still would have no depth.  We could also use the draft pick in two tight end sets and plays where a different skill set offers an advantage over Engram.

5.  Tackle:  I'm assuming we lose Taylor in free agency.  Best case scenario is that we acquire a right tackle that can start in 2024 when we cut Cam Robinson and move Little to left.  However, if our other priorities prevent us from getting a starting caliber tackle in 2023, we still need to get a tackle for depth.