Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Pederson Coach of the Year

(02-10-2023, 11:33 PM)Kane Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 10:26 PM)copycat Wrote: Nope Aaron Donald won it and rightfully so.

AFC dpoy?
Aaron Donald?

Oops, Donald was NFL
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-11-2023, 12:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 07:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The Jags had the #1 overall pick in back to back years. And had to suffer Urban Meyer.

Doug should have won in a landslide

I think you have to look at it realisticly. They both essentially accomplished the same thing, Doug had a worse overall roster but the Giants have a bum QB. So unless you think Daniel Jones and Lawrence are around the same skill level, it was pretty clear Dabol would win.

(02-10-2023, 08:50 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think we're surprised that Daboll won.  But I don't think any of us expected that Shanahan would also get more votes than Pederson.

I mean considering what they did with a revolving door at QB it's not surprising, but I do think Doug deserved more credit than he got.
I think you’re understating just how bad it was here with Urban. The players didn’t even want to be here. He had to drastically change the culture and THEN try to win games on top of that. And then had to instill confidence in his QB after Urban shattered it. All while having a roster that was so devoid of talent that it had back to back #1 picks. 

Then he won his division and a playoff game and went toe to toe with Mahomes and Andy Reid. Daboll got BLOWN OUT in his game against the Eagles

Meh. I don’t think there was a ‘wrong’ choice. You can certainly make a case for Pederson. But you can realistically make a case for two or three other guys.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-11-2023, 10:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Meh. I don’t think there was a ‘wrong’ choice. You can certainly make a case for Pederson. But you can realistically make a case for two or three other guys.

Dan Campbell got totally ignored.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-11-2023, 10:40 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 10:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Meh. I don’t think there was a ‘wrong’ choice. You can certainly make a case for Pederson. But you can realistically make a case for two or three other guys.

Good call out. Dan Campbell in this race was the equivalent of Ron Paul back in the 2008 Presidential race.

He was present, deserving and decorated. Just not decorated enough by the MSM for anybody to really give a [BLEEP].

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-11-2023, 08:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 12:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I think you have to look at it realisticly. They both essentially accomplished the same thing, Doug had a worse overall roster but the Giants have a bum QB. So unless you think Daniel Jones and Lawrence are around the same skill level, it was pretty clear Dabol would win.

I mean considering what they did with a revolving door at QB it's not surprising, but I do think Doug deserved more credit than he got.
I think you’re understating just how bad it was here with Urban. The players didn’t even want to be here. He had to drastically change the culture and THEN try to win games on top of that. And then had to instill confidence in his QB after Urban shattered it. All while having a roster that was so devoid of talent that it had back to back #1 picks. 

Then he won his division and a playoff game and went toe to toe with Mahomes and Andy Reid. Daboll got BLOWN OUT in his game against the Eagles

It's just regular season.   I don't think the playoff games counted

(02-11-2023, 10:40 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 10:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Meh.  I don’t think there was a ‘wrong’ choice.  You can certainly make a case for Pederson.  But you can realistically make a case for two or three other guys.

Campbell deserved it more than Daboll, for sure.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Next year may be Doug’s year.

(02-11-2023, 12:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I think you have to look at it realisticly. They both essentially accomplished the same thing, Doug had a worse overall roster but the Giants have a bum QB. So unless you think Daniel Jones and Lawrence are around the same skill level, it was pretty clear Dabol would win.

Voting is done before the postseason.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2023, 01:27 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

This is a solid point but I believe that they only consider the regular season for these awards.

(02-11-2023, 08:09 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 10:40 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Dan Campbell got totally ignored.

Campbell deserved it more than Daboll, for sure.

Lol no he didn't, Jared Goff is ten times the QB Daniel Jones is.

(02-12-2023, 01:27 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 08:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think you’re understating just how bad it was here with Urban. The players didn’t even want to be here. He had to drastically change the culture and THEN try to win games on top of that. And then had to instill confidence in his QB after Urban shattered it. All while having a roster that was so devoid of talent that it had back to back #1 picks. 

This is a solid point but I believe that they only consider the regular season for these awards.

(02-11-2023, 08:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: Campbell deserved it more than Daboll, for sure.

Lol no he didn't, Jared Goff is ten times the QB Daniel Jones is.

Maybe, but Goff only won 3 games last year.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2023, 09:37 AM by Mikey.)

(02-10-2023, 10:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 09:51 AM)Mikey Wrote: understandable. When you have TLaw, it's almost a cheat code.

Daboll was a first time coach and got DJones to look....ok?

That, and he gave New York a team worth watching, and the league is gonna reward that.

Doug is a former SB winner, it's kind of expected that he knows how to manage a team and get wins. His past was probably counted against him in the comparison among the top coaches. I'm just glad we have a coach in the dang conversation!!
So what was your preseason prediction?

Was it expected that Doug would have taken the Jags from the #1 pick to winning the division and winning a playoff game?

Come on now. He did the best coaching job by a mile this year.

I predicted a slow start, and figured 6-7 wins was the floor. They overachieved, but I never doubted that Trevor was better than the expletive-show we were subjected to in 2021.

Now preseason what did I think of Daniel Jones? Dead man walking. Complete dismissal that he was a starting caliber QB. The Gints were Saquon and 50 other dudes. Daboll was a first time coach, and completely changed their course without the benefit of massive FA spending or a plethora of darft picks that usually coincide with a complete 180.

Make no mistake, Doug is the hero WE needed. Daboll gets the award this year, we get the Trophy next year.

(02-10-2023, 04:27 PM)copycat Wrote: Did anyone expect anything less?  No Jaguar has ever won ……. Of the Year

@That's only because the league never had an award for biggest bust of the year@

(02-11-2023, 10:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Meh.  I don’t think there was a ‘wrong’ choice.  You can certainly make a case for Pederson.  But you can realistically make a case for two or three other guys.

This right here. I think less of a case could be made for Shanny, but I think a lot of people were surprised that they didn't seem to falter once they were down to a rookie QB. Consider that the only competition they got this year was from Geno and the twelves, and that's not some magnanimous accomplishment.