Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Pederson Coach of the Year

Woooooo

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-24-2023, 03:55 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 03:53 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Daboll could've been more encouraging about Daniel Jones returning. Sure, he didn't play great in the playoff game, but I believe the Giants were lucky to be there with that roster. Even if behind closed doors Daboll doesn't think highly of Daniel Jones, he shouldn't imply that publicly. Until you've got the guy on your roster, you've got to pretend like the current guy -- provided he's clearly not a stopgap -- is the guy. 

To me, he's a poor man's Josh Allen. Or somewhere between Carson Wentz and Josh Allen. Next season will determine which one he's trending closer to. I can confidently say, however, that they're not drafting high enough in this weak QB draft to find any prospects better than Jones in the short term.

resigning Jones will be the worst mistake the Giants can make

Depends on the terms.
Giving him a Bortles or Foles level contract would be a big mistake, yes.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Good stuff. I have been calling for this since early December. Well deserved and earned!

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 08:36 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-24-2023, 08:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 03:55 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: resigning Jones will be the worst mistake the Giants can make

Depends on the terms.
Giving him a Bortles or Foles level contract would be a big mistake, yes.

Bortles’ terms weren’t that bad for a “let’s see how the next two years play out” type of deal.  The problem was, it was plain to see he was a liability as a passer and he was going into his 5th year option year anyway.  There was no reason to extend a guy who, on his whole body of work, didn’t deserve it.  He was fortunate to have just come off a playoff run so I guess they felt obligated to not have him dwindling in the wind regarding a contract extension.

Although I agree Daniel Jones is essentially QB purgatory, he’s more deserving than Bortles was and will likely see a similar deal albeit adjusted for the current cap.

Coaches don’t have the luxury of throwing a year away trying to get in position draft wise to get the guy that then takes a couple of years to get through the usual growing pains.

A great situation to come into is when you’re replacing the guy that led the team to the #1 overall pick and a generational talent at QB is coming out.  The best situation to come into is when the guy that replaced the guy fumbles the bag a year later and you come in to coach that generational talent and probably will be married as coach and QB for the next 12 years or so. Daboll isn’t in either of those unfortunately for him.

This is jogging my memory on our coaching search last year so forgive me for rambling a bit here, but how ridiculous was it of Dan Quinn or anyone else declining to interview here? Let me be clear, I have no interest in Dan Quinn as a head coach, but how could anyone not want this job with this QB even then?  Perhaps he knew he really wasn’t going to be offered the job and wanted to avoid a sham interview.

Give Doug and Trevor 15 year deals.

(01-24-2023, 03:55 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 03:53 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Daboll could've been more encouraging about Daniel Jones returning. Sure, he didn't play great in the playoff game, but I believe the Giants were lucky to be there with that roster. Even if behind closed doors Daboll doesn't think highly of Daniel Jones, he shouldn't imply that publicly. Until you've got the guy on your roster, you've got to pretend like the current guy -- provided he's clearly not a stopgap -- is the guy. 

To me, he's a poor man's Josh Allen. Or somewhere between Carson Wentz and Josh Allen. Next season will determine which one he's trending closer to. I can confidently say, however, that they're not drafting high enough in this weak QB draft to find any prospects better than Jones in the short term.

resigning Jones will be the worst mistake the Giants can make
I couldn’t agree more!

I feel like I’ve been taking crazy pills lately with people saying “Gotta extend Daniel Jones!”

The Giants season is so much like the 2017 Jags it’s scary (but it’s not even as good as the 2017 Jags).

DJ had 15 passing TDS…. That’s horrible for a guy in his like 4th season. The Giants would be wise to move on

(01-24-2023, 09:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 03:55 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: resigning Jones will be the worst mistake the Giants can make
I couldn’t agree more!

I feel like I’ve been taking crazy pills lately with people saying “Gotta extend Daniel Jones!”

The Giants season is so much like the 2017 Jags it’s scary (but it’s not even as good as the 2017 Jags).

DJ had 15 passing TDS…. That’s horrible for a guy in his like 4th season. The Giants would be wise to move on

He also had only 5 Int's.  He has arguably the worst WR corps in the league.  I trust Daboll on if Jones has the potential to be the guy.  The talent is there but they need to get him some WRs.  Hopkins would be a good get for the Giants

I feel like Giants have to extend Jones but I concede it’s kind of a tough decision.

(01-24-2023, 06:00 PM)Newton Wrote: So excited for next year. I think another year of consistency and player development will improve this team even further.

(01-24-2023, 05:33 PM)MojoKing Wrote: I definitely need to eat some crow on that one

Man I am surprised as well. Not so much about Doug,  but about Byron.

Byron isnt surprising hes not a good oc, like hacket he had bad years with bad teams than got some good years with brady, like hack with rogers n he got overrated.

(01-24-2023, 09:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 09:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I couldn’t agree more!

He also had only 5 Int's.  He has arguably the worst WR corps in the league.  I trust Daboll on if Jones has the potential to be the guy.  The talent is there but they need to get him some WRs.  Hopkins would be a good get for the Giants

Hopkins ain’t catching passes from Jones.

I'm all for it! Wink

(01-24-2023, 09:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
I couldn’t agree more!

Giants have a lot to figure out.
Hopefully (for their sake- I don't care) they are letting Daboll influence these decisions. 

They have cap space and they have an extra 3rd round pick as capital to maneuver with. Lots of ways they can go.
If they want to hold out for the right draft prospect, then a deal with Jones that includes a team friendly out clause might make sense. 

Otherwise - spend big in free agency or spend draft capital to maneuver for the QB you like. 

Daboll may be good with a game manager behind center for one more year while he builds the rest of his roster.

Well deserved. When the subject comes up about a franchise needing a change in culture, what Doug has done here should be the text book example.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Pederson should get it, but I bet it goes to Daboll because NY is a bigger market.

A year ago, if we had a 10 point deficit, everything was over. We could turn off the game and know the result: Jags lose. Our fanbase were dressing as clowns. Trevor Lawrence was looking like the furthest thing from a once-in-a-generation prospect. We were the joke of the NFL. Now, look at us. We won a playoff game. We've made several comebacks down by 17+ points, and made the third largest comeback in playoff history (Everyone wants to credit the Chargers for 'chargering it', but never give us credit for the comeback). What Pederson has done is change the culture of this team. And he did it with 0 pro-bowlers, and 0 All Pros (even if Lawrence probably should've gone to the Pro Bowl, along with some others). I think what Daboll did in NY is impressive, and that giants team doesn't have a lot of talent. But I think what Pederson did is just more impressive. And I don't think he'd have given up like Daboll did in the playoffs (though it is a regular season award)
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

All anyone has to do to understand just how much Doug changed the culture/mindset of this team is listen to the pressers after the games or pretty much any interview with the guys. The deeper into the season they went the more you could hear it, and see it, in the voices and faces of the players. 

Watch the last one with Evan Engram and tell me the players haven't overcome whatever hell they went through last year, whether they were here or somewhere else. That man's interview got me emotional. And these men all want to come back. All. Of. Them. They want to keep writing this story and take the team to the SB. 

When was the last time we ever heard this from every player? Doug Pederson deserves every good thing that comes from this season and if he doesn't get NFL COTY it will be a travesty of epic proportions.

The Jaguars now have 4 coaches that were in the running for NFL Coach of the Year.

Coughlin - 1999
Del Rio - 2007
Marrone - 2017
Pederson - 2022

(01-25-2023, 11:29 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Pederson should get it, but I bet it goes to Daboll because NY is a bigger market.

Bingo.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-25-2023, 06:13 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 11:29 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Pederson should get it, but I bet it goes to Daboll because NY is a bigger market.

Bingo.

That's just bulls&^t.  Smaller market say it's rigged for bigger markets.  Bigger markets say that the NFL exploits the certainty of bigger markets to ensure smaller markets remain viable.

Quit this rubbish conspiracy crap against the Jags.

Daboll or Pederson are both worthy winners.  Daboll achieved more with a worse roster, but Dougie turned around a disgraceful franchise and gave it credibility.  But that's easier to do with a No. 1 QB.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(01-26-2023, 02:38 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 02:29 AM)captivating Wrote: That's just bulls&^t.  Smaller market say it's rigged for bigger markets.  Bigger markets say that the NFL exploits the certainty of bigger markets to ensure smaller markets remain viable.

Quit this rubbish conspiracy crap against the Jags.

Daboll or Pederson are both worthy winners.  Daboll achieved more with a worse roster, but Dougie turned around a disgraceful franchise and gave it credibility.  But that's easier to do with a No. 1 QB.

If its [BLEEP], then why are Jerry Jones (and others) constantly complaining about revenue sharing?  Why are small market teams not as likely to get prime time games?  Why are the lead stories on NFL games about large market teams?  There is bias, and a lot of it is about which eyeballs are watching the product.

You don't realize it  but you are supporting my argument that bigger markets are exploited, not smaller markets.  If it's rigged, then it's more likely the NFL would choose Dougie as they know, not selecting Daboll won't affect ticket sales in NY.  NY fans will be there, whereas smaller market fans are more fair weather fans who turn up when things are going well, but go missing when times are tough.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1