Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The OT Conundrum Thread

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 10:54 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-26-2023, 10:45 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 06:39 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Here’s what they do… 

1. Taylor walks
2. Cam plays one more year at LT.
3. Walker starts at RT and is Cam’s backup.
4. Team drafts a LG/C prospect to challenge Fortner and Bartsch or groom to replace Scherff.
5. Team drafts a RT prospect to take over RT in 2024 when Little permanently moved to LT. 

Or, convince another team during training camp, when their LT goes down, to take Cam for a draft pick and some salary cap absorption/splitting.

1. Yep
2. Yep
3. I put Walker at LG
4. Based on 3, Bartch is primary backup, placeholder for 2024 LG. If we do pick another player, it will be a late pick/depth prospect
5. Yep, but rook gets the start and is expected to be the fixture there.

If another team comes calling for Cam before the trade deadline, I can work with accelarating the 2024 plan into 2023, for the right pick(s) of course.

Why put Walker at LG when he's already played and familiarized himself at both tackle positions in the NFL? Just doesn't make much sense to me there. You're just patching up one hole for it to spring a leak at a more complex position IMHO. LG should be easier to transition a rookie into Vs. trying to throw a rookie right on in at RT. Just my opinion. You also have Bartch and Shatley back.

Now, obviously the draft could play a role in this scenario. But, tackles tend to go higher than guards and you would think it's very real that we have the pick of the little at Guard with the 24th spot. Or, at least in a position to land somebody solid in RD2 that offers swing ability. 

I think Wypler out of OSU or Mauch out of North Dakota St. make the most sense for this team in 2023 and beyond because they offer immediate value as starters at Guard/Center and in Mauch's case? He can jump outside when/if needed down the road. 

Just don't like the idea of taking Little and plugging him at LG. When RT is going to be a massive concern if Taylor is not retained. He was still one of the better pass protectors we had and that shouldn't be taken for granted.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

post those clips that show Walker on 1 leg against the Chiefs Chargers and Titans.

(01-25-2023, 12:45 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 12:41 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Little will be playing RT in this scenario. Robinson has already beat him out the past 2 seasons.

Maybe. Maybe not. Robinson is coming back from an ACL. Little had his moments but it's undeniable. He's a lot faster and more agile than Robinson and I am willing to bet he's more than capable of getting better over there. 

I like him as far as getting around the center and pulling blocks around and out in the running game. I also think he's better in the screen game potentially. Little just needed some confidence and live rounds and it looks like it's playing out perfectly.

Robinson is coming back from a Meniscus injury, not an ACL injury.

(01-26-2023, 07:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 12:45 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Maybe. Maybe not. Robinson is coming back from an ACL. Little had his moments but it's undeniable. He's a lot faster and more agile than Robinson and I am willing to bet he's more than capable of getting better over there. 

I like him as far as getting around the center and pulling blocks around and out in the running game. I also think he's better in the screen game potentially. Little just needed some confidence and live rounds and it looks like it's playing out perfectly.

Robinson is coming back from a Meniscus injury, not an ACL injury.
Hm. Read it was an ACL somewhere. At any rate. Still think Little is a better fit at LT and a fair competition should be up for grabs with it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 08:22 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-26-2023, 07:56 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 07:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Robinson is coming back from a Meniscus injury, not an ACL injury.
Hm. Read it was an ACL somewhere. At any rate. Still think Little is a better fit at LT and a fair competition should be up for grabs with it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

He tore his ACL in 2018.

But I do agree, I'd rather see Little at LT.

(01-26-2023, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 10:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: 1. Yep
2. Yep
3. I put Walker at LG
4. Based on 3, Bartch is primary backup, placeholder for 2024 LG. If we do pick another player, it will be a late pick/depth prospect
5. Yep, but rook gets the start and is expected to be the fixture there.

If another team comes calling for Cam before the trade deadline, I can work with accelarating the 2024 plan into 2023, for the right pick(s) of course.

Why put Walker at LG when he's already played and familiarized himself at both tackle positions in the NFL? Just doesn't make much sense to me there. You're just patching up one hole for it to spring a leak at a more complex position IMHO. LG should be easier to transition a rookie into Vs. trying to throw a rookie right on in at RT. Just my opinion. You also have Bartch and Shatley back.

Now, obviously the draft could play a role in this scenario. But, tackles tend to go higher than guards and you would think it's very real that we have the pick of the little at Guard with the 24th spot. Or, at least in a position to land somebody solid in RD2 that offers swing ability. 

I think Wypler out of OSU or Mauch out of North Dakota St. make the most sense for this team in 2023 and beyond because they offer immediate value as starters at Guard/Center and in Mauch's case? He can jump outside when/if needed down the road. 

Just don't like the idea of taking Little and plugging him at LG. When RT is going to be a massive concern if Taylor is not retained. He was still one of the better pass protectors we had and that shouldn't be taken for granted.

to answwer the question as simply as possible, I don't think he fit well at RT. I don't think his future is at RT. I don't want him confusing his mechanics with prolonged play at RT.

He played much better once he started relieving/replacing Cam. Let em duke it out in preseason if you want, if we're honest I think Cam would be a monster at RT, but I have a feeling that the paygrade is going to dictate where he plays. You don't pay RTs 16M, which is a dumb mindset, but it's the way the league tends to behave. I was just accepting that reality in my prediction.

(01-27-2023, 09:12 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Why put Walker at LG when he's already played and familiarized himself at both tackle positions in the NFL? Just doesn't make much sense to me there. You're just patching up one hole for it to spring a leak at a more complex position IMHO. LG should be easier to transition a rookie into Vs. trying to throw a rookie right on in at RT. Just my opinion. You also have Bartch and Shatley back.

to answwer the question as simply as possible, I don't think he fit well at RT. I don't think his future is at RT. I don't want him confusing his mechanics with prolonged play at RT.

He played much better once he started relieving/replacing Cam. Let em duke it out in preseason if you want, if we're honest I think Cam would be a monster at RT, but I have a feeling that the paygrade is going to dictate where he plays. You don't pay RTs 16M, which is a dumb mindset, but it's the way the league tends to behave. I was just accepting that reality in my prediction.

The top five RTs are making north of 16mil these days. 

If Cam doesn't suck there and Pederson can convince him to put away the ego... that's probably where he should play. 
Top five or not. 
Little looked good at LT. 

Assuming, of course, that Taylor isn't given a deal.

One thing was very clear in Peterson's press conference is that he really likes having 3 OTs. I don't think Jawaan Taylor will be affordable if he wants similar to Cam money. Walker Little was a high draft pick that has gained experience and has proven he can play. I think the Jags roll with Cam and Walker, and draft a player like Dawand Jones to initially be a backup and eventually take over the right tackle spot.

(01-27-2023, 09:51 AM)ATLjag Wrote: One thing was very clear in Peterson's press conference is that he really likes having 3 OTs.  I don't think Jawaan Taylor will be affordable if he wants similar to Cam money.  Walker Little was a high draft pick that has gained experience and has proven he can play.  I think the Jags roll with Cam and Walker, and draft a player like Dawand Jones to initially be a backup and eventually take over the right tackle spot.

Agreed on Dawand Jones.  He's who I like in the 2nd or 3rd if we go tackle there.  Hes a monster at 6'8 360 and would be perfect for us imo and can compete this year for the job and take over at RT next year