Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The LG and Center Issues 2022/23

(01-29-2023, 05:06 PM)copycat Wrote: You guys ever consider that Shrerff was off because he was helping the rookie center?

Has been mentioned in this thread, and I think there were times that was definitely the case.

I think the larger issue with Scherff is the abdominal injury he's played through since before the bye week robbing him of flexibility and strength.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023, 08:00 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-29-2023, 06:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 05:06 PM)copycat Wrote: You guys ever consider that Shrerff was off because he was helping the rookie center?

Has been mentioned in this thread, and I think there were times that was definitely the case.

I think the larger issue with Scherff is the abdominal injury he's played through since before the bye week robbing him of flexibility and strength.
Scherff deserved that beer at Waffle House then. I can relate. Carrying people at work sucks.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023, 11:02 AM by Mikey.)

I think it was more playing through injury for a good part of the season. The times I saw him get beat it wasn't because he was lending Fortner a hand.

(01-29-2023, 07:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 06:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Has been mentioned in this thread, and I think there were times that was definitely the case.

Scherff deserved that beer at Waffle House then. I can relate. Carrying people at work sucks.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

This is why every manager should have a freight dolly. no carry. just roll.

Palate jack works too, especially if you have a large team.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2023, 03:46 PM by AnOldBrownie.)

(01-26-2023, 12:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Starting to sift through the lions tape between my work duties today.

All three IOL guys get blown up on this one.
[Image: LFORT-13.gif]
Lol...the interior 3 should all get fired based on that play alone. OL coach too. They are getting thrown around like they each weigh 225lbs.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

(01-26-2023, 12:35 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The real problem is Scherff.
. (Facts)

Bingo.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

I am in no position to evaluate OL and DL play, so breakdowns such as these are invaluable for me. I only wish I could slow down the videos so it would be easier to follow the different players during the plays.

Regarding Fortner, I am curious to see if he has had any progression from the initial games up until the end. If he gets better then I am optimistic for next season, but if he continues to make the same mistakes throughout the season then I am more cautious. The mention that he has only played center for one of his years in college could explain his woes this season.

I look forward to more videos and what conclusions you come to.

Players think Scherff is elite. 3rd best RG

https://nflpa.com/posts/the-players-all-pro/#top5

(02-02-2023, 04:07 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Players think Scherff is elite. 3rd best RG

I think he's very good too. 

He wasn't very good this year after he tore a muscle and played through it though.

Hopefully he's able to be near 100% for a lot more games next season.

(02-02-2023, 05:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 04:07 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Players think Scherff is elite. 3rd best RG

I think he's very good too. 

He wasn't very good this year after he tore a muscle and played through it though.

When did he tear the muscle?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Need to get better overall sure. I think we will draft a couple of offensive lineman and see what's what with them.First pick though in terms of the draft I think needs to be a corner and it seems like a pretty decent draft depth wise for CB so should be fine with whoever drops to us.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(02-02-2023, 10:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 05:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think he's very good too. 

When did he tear the muscle?

He didn't hit the injury report until week 14, but Pederson held him out of practices and mentioned him "toughing it out" before the London trip. So - it must have started around week 7.

(02-03-2023, 10:55 AM)Butters Wrote: Need to get better overall sure. I think we will draft a couple of offensive lineman and see what's what with them.First pick though in terms of the draft I think needs to be a corner and it seems like a pretty decent draft depth wise for CB so should be fine with whoever drops to us.

The first pick definitely doesn't NEED to be a corner. I'd prefer a lineman if we can get one of the top ones.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023, 09:45 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-03-2023, 12:22 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 10:55 AM)Butters Wrote: Need to get better overall sure. I think we will draft a couple of offensive lineman and see what's what with them.First pick though in terms of the draft I think needs to be a corner and it seems like a pretty decent draft depth wise for CB so should be fine with whoever drops to us.

The first pick definitely doesn't NEED to be a corner. I'd prefer a lineman if we can get one of the top ones.

We need offensive lineman. Period.

Cam Robinson - Overpaid, oft injured and average at best when out there.
Ben Bartch - Average at best, coming back from IR.
Luke Fortner - Played a full season, plus two play off games. Needs to get significantly stronger this summer and faster post-snap. 
Brandon Scherff - Injury prone, over the hill in NFL age for this position, stop gap at best for another year. 
JaWaan Taylor - One trick pony coming off of one good year that will command an overpriced contract that could come back to bite your team in the [BLEEP] down the road. Like Cam Robinson. 

I will go on record saying this. Especially now that WE HAVE A [BLEEP] QUARTERBACK. We need to be drafting two, quality offensive lineman EVERY year. EVERY year. Doesn't mean you drop 1st and 2nd and 3rd RD picks on these positions every year but you need to keep the depth quality above average and you need to be able to backfill these roles in a pinch. 

That way you can continue to either swing for the fences early at the skill positions that have to make the plays on both sides or land the big name FA player that can add 2, 3 more win totals to your stat sheet or clutch a win in the play-offs.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023, 10:40 AM by IKhan't.)

(02-04-2023, 09:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 12:22 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: The first pick definitely doesn't NEED to be a corner. I'd prefer a lineman if we can get one of the top ones.

Luke Fortner - Played a full season, plus two play off games. Needs to get significantly stronger this summer and faster post-snap. 
Brandon Scherff - Injury prone, over the hill in NFL age for this position, stop gap at best for another year. 
JaWaan Taylor - One trick pony coming off of one good year that will command an overpriced contract that could come back to bite your team in the [BLEEP] down the road. Like Cam Robinson. 

I will go on record saying this. Especially now that WE HAVE A [BLEEP] QUARTERBACK. We need to be drafting two, quality offensive lineman EVERY year. EVERY year. Doesn't mean you drop 1st and 2nd and 3rd RD picks on these positions every year but you need to keep the depth quality above average and you need to be able to backfill these roles in a pinch. 

That way you can continue to either swing for the fences early at the skill positions that have to make the plays on both sides or land the big name FA player that can add 2, 3 more win totals to your stat sheet or clutch a win in the play-offs.

I totally agree with this assessment.

(02-03-2023, 12:22 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:

Our first pick needs to be a good player. I don't care about the position, as long as he helps this team get better. We need to stop reaching for players of need and concentrate on upgrading the roster as a whole. Other than QB and Punter, there isn't a position on this team that couldn't be upgraded.

(02-03-2023, 12:22 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: The first pick definitely doesn't NEED to be a corner. I'd prefer a lineman if we can get one of the top ones.

Couldn't agree more.
Pretty soon the "contender discount" will kick in and free agents will demand to come here.  Might not be this year.  Will be soon.  Until then we need to keep the one guy who gets us that contender discount upright.  We need OL above all.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023, 01:20 PM by rpr52121. Edited 3 times in total.)

This seems like a lot of investment in 1 position group. I understand it's importance, but I'd be surprised if any team has matched that level. Plus there are similar arguments for many position groups. With the FA price hikes of WR, you could even argue they should draft a quality WR every year. With the need for good coverage guys in a passing heavy league, one could argue you draft a quality DB every year. Defensive line is as important, needs as much depth, and also can just as expensive as the OL.

On top of that, no matter how good a GM or scouting department is, the hit rate is going to be at best 20-30% in the later draft rounds and maybe 50-65% in FA/early draft? If you limit yourself that much by position groups, essentially need-based, it would probably further decreased that hit rate.

There is bigger question that I have. Dynastic teams are able to consistently find above average starters for at least 1 key position group with late draft picks, 3rd round/cheap FAs, or undrafted guys year after year. Either because the metrics needed to fit their system goes against the grain/trends of the league, or because the coaching staff is good enough to develop that position at a higher rate than the league average.

Pederson/Balke and Co. still has time to figure out which position group that will be, but it is not very clear at this moment.

(02-04-2023, 01:18 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 09:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote: We need offensive lineman. Period.

This seems like a lot of investment in 1 position group. I understand it's importance, but I'd be surprised if any team has matched that level. Plus there are similar arguments for many position groups. With the FA price hikes of WR, you could even argue they should draft a quality WR every year. With the need for good coverage guys in a passing heavy league, one could argue you draft a quality DB every year. Defensive line is as important, needs as much depth, and also can just as expensive as the OL.

On top of that, no matter how good a GM or scouting department is, the hit rate is going to be at best 20-30% in the later draft rounds and maybe 50-65% in FA/early draft? If you limit yourself that much by position groups, essentially need-based, it would probably further decreased that hit rate.

There is bigger question that I have. Dynastic teams are able to consistently find above average starters for at least 1 key position group with late draft picks, 3rd round/cheap FAs, or undrafted guys year after year. Either because the metrics needed to fit their system goes against the grain/trends of the league, or because the coaching staff is good enough to develop that position at a higher rate than the league average.

Pederson/Balke and Co. still has time to figure out which position group that will be, but it is not very clear at this moment.

A team should aim to build an elite offense or an elite defense.  Eventually both need to be elite but you have to build one first and then the other.
And you need an elite QB to build an elite offense around.  The Jags have that, finally.  
It would be just as valid to make receiver the #1 priority, but the Jags already made that play in FA and hit on it. RB is important to, but ETN seems to have a bright future. So for the Jags, right now, we need OL, no debate about it.

(02-04-2023, 02:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 01:18 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: This seems like a lot of investment in 1 position group. I understand it's importance, but I'd be surprised if any team has matched that level. Plus there are similar arguments for many position groups. With the FA price hikes of WR, you could even argue they should draft a quality WR every year. With the need for good coverage guys in a passing heavy league, one could argue you draft a quality DB every year. Defensive line is as important, needs as much depth, and also can just as expensive as the OL.

A team should aim to build an elite offense or an elite defense.  Eventually both need to be elite but you have to build one first and then the other.
And you need an elite QB to build an elite offense around.  The Jags have that, finally.  
It would be just as valid to make receiver the #1 priority, but the Jags already made that play in FA and hit on it. RB is important to, but ETN seems to have a bright future. So for the Jags, right now, we need OL, no debate about it.

Of course Offensive Line should be a priority this off season, especially since the interior OL play limited the vertical shots/routes and the offense's ceiling.

I was just noting that devoting 2 picks to OL every year may not be wise. I would though still note that they still need to find some starters with bargain investment.

(02-04-2023, 03:25 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 02:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: A team should aim to build an elite offense or an elite defense.  Eventually both need to be elite but you have to build one first and then the other.

Of course Offensive Line should be a priority this off season, especially since the interior OL play limited the vertical shots/routes and the offense's ceiling.

I was just noting that devoting 2 picks to OL every year may not be wise. I would though still note that they still need to find some starters with bargain investment.

It's the "big guys early" rule, stated a different way.
There is a lot of rotation at most positions. It's common to find RB, CB, S, LB contributors in the undrafted players.
But OL doesn't rotate unless they're injured, and it's much more rare to find an OL starter that wasn't drafted.  
OL is roughly 20% of your starters, and he's just saying make them 28% of your draft picks.  It's not out of line at all.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023, 06:21 PM by Kane. Edited 1 time in total.)

OL(x2), 3T/DL, TE, NB
Needs in order of importance. TE moves up if we foolishly don't re sign engram.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2023, 10:50 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Before this season I have thought he is the 3rd best guard overall behind Nelson and Martin.  Hopefully this year he is fully healthy and he's back to his normal play

I know it's doubtfully but for this year I would be perfectly fine with taking Torrence in the first and Schwartz in the 2nd. Fortner can compete for a spot and possible take over at RG next year if Scherff has another down year. I think with Torrence and Schwartz our oline has the potential ton be dominate on the inside instead of getting bullied inside we would be the bully