Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Greatest WR’s from age 30 to age 36

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2023, 02:24 AM by JagFanatic24. Edited 3 times in total.)

Shannon Sharpe interviewed Chad Ochocinco on his youtube channel. Shannon asked Chad who he would pick as the best WR currently that he would start a franchise with and Chad said Devonte Adams.

He followed up by saying “just get open like a Marvin Harrison or a Jimmy Smith”

I will try to post the link but sometimes it don’t let me, so if you wanna check it out just hit up YouTube and search up Shannon interviewing Chad and go to the 31:45 mark.

This tells me what we already know. Jimmy was one of the greatest of all time. He could have said Randy Moss, Terell Owens, or any of the normal names that media puts above all the others, but Chad brought up to of the best players that had the ability to get open in any down and distance. Marvin and Jimmy. Both lead the league in receptions in a single season. 

I’ve been watching Boselli’s Hall of Fame induction and he brought up Fred Taylor and Jimmy Smith.

I also wrote a letter 2 days ago to the Pro Football Hall of Fame that was about 3 pages long. It pretty much said Jimmy didn’t really start playing until 27 years of age and was 212 yards shy of having ten straight 1000 yard seasons. I also explained that if they put Antonio Brown in then make space for Jimmy Smith. I also said who knows what Smith would have in yards if he didn’t miss 1993 and 1994. And he didn’t start any games as a rookie in 1992 on that Dallas team and he also wasn’t a full time starter in 1995 once he arrived in Jax. I also explained in 1996 McCardell made the Pro Bowl but Smith had more yards and more touchdowns on 2 less receptions. McCardell had 85 catches and Smith had 83. 

here’s the link, hopefully it will post. 31:45 question is asked and 32:29 is when Chad says I can line him up like Marvin Harrison or Jimmy Smith.

https://youtu.be/KgScnzMqu_o

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

at one time he was the best wide receiver in the nfl

I don't care about moss or TO, jimmy smith was uncoverable

didn't he put up almost 300 yards against the 2000 ravens? Unbelievable.

Chad did his homework for that interview. Anything related to that ‘96 team that eliminated the Broncos in the playoffs are a trigger for Shannon. Chad was probably trolling him there with that name drop.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 08:46 AM by Caldrac.)

Chad has ALWAYS praised Jimmy Smith over the years. ALWAYS. I always took note of any notable players referencing our own players as an example to follow. Jim Brown praising Fred Taylor always stood out to me.

However, I recall quite a bit of interviews where Chad specifically stated while still playing with the Bengals that he studied Jimmy Smith's film just to understand how to set up routes and get open.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Sharpe interviewing Ochocinco? I don't think I can stomach that.

(01-31-2023, 12:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Chad did his homework for that interview.  Anything related to that ‘96 team that eliminated the Broncos in the playoffs are a trigger for Shannon.  Chad was probably trolling him there with that name drop.

Sharpe got his revenge in 2000 when he would score the game winning TD in the game when Smith went for 15 291 and 3.

I have a pretty cool stat that I’ve been working on for about 3 days. I think some will be shocked but the real ones know.

A lot to type but worth it.

I recently looked up every WR that has been voted in the Hall of Fame or is considered a future Hall of Fame inductee OR any WR that has ever been labeled as “underrated.” I also looked up stats on every WR that is ranked within the top 50 in receptions and/or touchdown receptions and/or yards and I wrote down every WR’s stats from the age of 30 to the age of 36 because I wanted to see what of numbers Jimmy Smith would have put up if he could have the first 5 years of his NFL career back….

Did you know Jimmy Smith went 5 years calendar years before becoming a 16-game-starter? Did you know Jimmy Smith is ranked 3rd all time for one-thousand yard season with 9. Did you know if he wasn’t suspended for 4 games in 2003 that he would have 10 straight thousand yard seasons. In 2003 he was 195 yards shy.

Jimmy Smith caught his first pass in the regular season in week 9 in Pittsburgh in 1995 He was 26.262 years of age. This means Smith went from week 1 of the 1992 season when he was 23.203 years of age until week 9 of the 1995 season when he was 23.203 years of age before catching his first NFL pass in the regular season. That is exactly 3 calendar years and 59 days before he even made his first catch, which means he missed out on 48 regular season games…or 38 months…or 1,154 days before he made his 1st catch….That’s a loooong time in NFL time.

Smith didn’t become a 16 game starter until 1997, which he was 28.203 years of age. That’s is 5 years….or 60 months….or 1,825 days. Which means a total of 80 NFL games were played from 1992 until 1997 before Smith became the full-time starting wide receiver for the Jaguars. He did start 9 games in 1996, but wasn’t a 16 game starter until the 1997 season.

So I wanted to dig a little further and see what other great receivers did from the age of 30 until 36. The reason I chose to go with the age of 30 is because that is the year Jimmy Smith broke out. He led the league in receptions that year with 116 catches. Pete Prisco always points out that Jimmy had the best 3 year run of any WR in the NFL during that time from 1999 to 2001.

I wanted to take it further and see what kind of numbers did the greats put up from age 30 to 36. I chose 36 years of age because that is when Smith retired. Crazy Fact: Mike Evans racked 9,301 yards BEFORE THE AGE OF 30, while Jimmy Smith was settling into his 3rd season of being a 16 game starter. Deandre Hopkins’ last 1000 yard season was 2 years ago and he is 30 years of age now.

So here we go. I’m going to post the WR’s Name and then I’m going to follow that up with their combined yardage from their 30 years of age season until their 36 years of age season.

AJ Green. - 2301 yards
Antonio Brown - 2381 yards
Chad Johnson - 2694 yards
Julio Jones. - 2898 yards
B.Marshall. - 3301 yards
Michael Irvin. - 3366 yards
Desean Jacksn-3449 yards
Torry Holt. - 3895 yards
Randy Moss. - 4592 yards
Andre Reed - 4965 yards
Andre Johnson-5021 yards
Art Monk. - 5476 yards
Steve Largent - 5481 yards
K.McCardell. -5908 yards
Joey Galloway-6053 yards
Anquan Boldin-6259 yards
Isaac Bruce. -6539 yards
Steve Smith. -6584 yards
Henery Ellard. -6625 yards
Larry Fitzgerald-6670 yards
Derrick Mason. -6945 yards
Irvin Fryer -7048 yards
Reggie Wayne. -7361 yards
Terrell Owens. -7481 yards
MarvinHarrison-7502 yards
Cris Carter. -8000 yards
Tim Brown. -8091 yards

Jimmy Smith. -8249 yards
Jerry Rice. -8540 yards

Another stat to look at is games started.

Jerry Rice started 284 games
Owens started 201 games
Isaac Bruce started 201 games
Larry Fitzgerald started 261 games
Cris Carter started 209 games
Tim Brown started 202 games
Andre Reed started 217 games
Art Monk started 194 games
Steve Smith started 198 games
Reggie Wayne started 197 games

Jimmy Smith started 150 games….it took him 1,825 days to become the full time starter…

Let’s take a look at the first 5 years of a few Wide Receivers

Reggie Wayne. -4161 yards
Andre Johnson - 4804 yards
Antonio Brown. - 5259 yards
DeandreHopkins-5865 yards
Mike Evans -6103 yards
AJ Green. -6171 yards
Julio Jones. -6201 yards

I have 1 final stat for all the guys out there that wasn’t around when Jimmy Smith played.

Julio Jones started 149 games
Jimmy Smith started 150 games

Julio Jones = 13,629 yards receiving
Jimmy Smith=12,287 yards receiving

Imagine if Jimmy Smith was a day 1 starter in his rookie season and had those 5 years to add to his totals. He would have been in the neighborhood of 1051 receptions 16,000 yards and something around 83 TD. 5 years of a young, prime Jimmy Smith….

Somehow is think Jimmy’s missed games weighs more than Fred Taylor’s missed games. You be the judge of that.

Hope you guys enjoyed this.

I still believe that Jimmy Smith in his prime was the best Jaguar ever- slightly ahead of Boselli and Freddy T. He truly was uncoverable and also opened things up for Keenan and Freddy. His career ended sadly, but that should not take away from his overall performance. While I can't claim to really "know" him, he was always extremely gracious to fans at training camp. Seemed like a genuinely good guy whose career and life was shattered by addiction. Glad to see him doing interviews with the media and really hope he has found a way to get past the addiction.

Revealing numbers

Thanks JF24.

You should send Jimmy a link to this on Twitter

J-Smooth is one of the best to ever do it! So glad I got to see him rep Duval in teal!

(05-27-2023, 01:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Revealing numbers

Thanks JF24.

You should send Jimmy a link to this on Twitter

J-Smooth is one of the best to ever do it! So glad I got to see him rep Duval in teal!

Thank You. I’m glad you liked it. I don’t have Twitter but if anyone out there wants to copy and paste or send a link to Jimmy, you have my permission. 

I also wrote a letter to the Pro Football Hall of Fame a few months ago and documented in detail as to why Jimmy should be inducted as anyone in the world is allowed to submit any NFL player to be considered. 

Maybe Twitter can help.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2023, 03:32 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(01-30-2023, 11:06 PM)paksat Wrote: at one time he was the best wide receiver in the nfl

I wasn't a hardcore football fan for most of Jimmy Smiths time here, but man even the bit I did see he was something special for sure. He definitely deserves to be in the HOF, and so does Fred.

(05-28-2023, 03:29 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-30-2023, 11:06 PM)paksat Wrote: at one time he was the best wide receiver in the nfl

I wasn't a hardcore football fan for most of Jimmy Smiths time here, but man even the bit I did see he was something special for sure. He definitely deserves to be in the HOF, and so does Fred.

I agree. Jimmy Smith deserves to be in the hall. 

A couple of other notes:

During the Dallas years, Smith was backing up Alvin Harper. Harper retired after the 1999 season with 191 career receptions, 3473 yards, and 21 TD.

Harper never had more than 46 catches in a season, and never surpassed more than 821 yards in a season. 

Tom Coughlin brought Jimmy Smith in as the WR5 in 1995.

J-Smooth was the truth and struck fear in DB’s. He also had a very connection with Brunell, if they saw that Jimmy was single covered that fool was about to get smoked. Jimmy also opened things up for everyone else by virtue of coverage being rolled over to his side.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Anybody wanna see some crazy cool stats involving Fred Taylor? It’s similar to Jimmy Smith’s situation.

(06-04-2023, 11:45 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Anybody wanna see some crazy cool stats involving Fred Taylor? It’s similar to Jimmy Smith’s situation.

Yeah. Bring em' on man!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-05-2023, 09:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 11:45 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Anybody wanna see some crazy cool stats involving Fred Taylor? It’s similar to Jimmy Smith’s situation.

Yeah. Bring em' on man!

Ok. Couple more days and I’ll start a fresh thread. They take 2 or 3 days to make and tons of double checking.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2023, 03:15 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-27-2023, 12:34 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I still believe that Jimmy Smith in his prime was the best Jaguar ever- slightly ahead of Boselli and Freddy T. He truly was uncoverable and also opened things up for Keenan and Freddy. His career ended sadly, but that should not take away from his overall performance. While I can't claim to really "know" him, he was always extremely gracious to fans at training camp. Seemed like a genuinely good guy whose career and life was shattered by addiction. Glad to see him doing interviews with the media and really hope he has found a way to get past the addiction.

Jimmy Smith - took him 5 years to become a full time starter, 80 games  

Fred Taylor - missed 55 regular season games

Tony Boselli - missed 80 possible games

Tony Boselli - started 90 games and was out of the league by the time he was 29 years of age. 29 year old Boselli…. To shine some light on that, Jimmy Smith was going into his 2nd year as a full time starter at 29. Boselli made 5 straight Pro Bowls just like Smith but what separates them is Tony had 3 straight All Pro seasons, and he should have 4 AP’s but he didn’t get selected in 2000. On the flip side of that, Jimmy should have made the Pro Bowl in 1996. Jimmy had more yards (1244) and TDs (7), than Keenan, even though Keenan made the Pro Bowl that year instead of Jimmy. Oh I forgot to mention…Keenan started 15 games that year but how many games did Jimmy start? No way in the world he started just 9? Yep, started just 9 games. With that said Jimmy doesn’t have any All Pro selections, even though he led the NFL in receptions in 1999, he was also 2nd in receiving yards that year which was 27 yards behind Marvin Harrison. Guess who was the 2 All Pro receivers in 1999? Marvin Harrison and Cris Carter. 

1999—Cris Carter 90 rec, 1241 yards, 13 TD
1999-Jimmy Smith 116 rec, 1636 yards, 6 TD

I say all that to say this, I think Jimmy should atleast have 1 All Pro selection and I might could argue Jimmy could have been an All Pro in 2001 instead of Terrell Owens. In 2001 Jimmy was 1 reception away from leading the NFL in catches for his 2nd time. But Tony Boselli is still the best player in team history. He just was. He was considered the best player in the NFL at his position. Jimmy had to compare to guys like Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Tory Holt. Boselli was considered the best amongst his position. And he was considered the best 3 seasons in a row. Boselli was also the first ever draft pick in our team’s history so there is a little more added value because of that. Boselli manhandled the defensive player of the year in those 1996 playoffs. I’m a huuuge Smith, Taylor, and Brunell fan, but Boselli is still our best player in franchise history. He’s also representing our team in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I hope Jimmy and Fred make it too.

Just imagine is Jimmy Smith, Fred Taylor, and Tony Boselli could have all those games back. Boselli could have played 5 more years which is 80 games. Jimmy missed 80 games as a starter, and Fred missed 55 games. That’s a combined 215 games.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2023, 08:48 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

A few other notes…

Nobody in the NFL had more receptions or receiving yards than Jimmy Smith from 1996 to 2001. The only player close to him was Tim Brown, who had about 800 yards less than Smith.

From 1996 to 2001:

Smith 562 receptions 7,792 yards 43 TDs
Brown 532 receptions 7,161 yards 49 TDs
Carter 522 receptions 6,629 yards 63 TDs
I.Bruce 400 receptions 6,352 yards 40 TDs
J.Rice 423 receptions 5,263 yards 39 TDs
M.Irvin - not on the same level as Jimmy

HOF WR Andre Reed has four 1,000 yard seasons. Jimmy would have had 10 straight if he wouldn’t have been suspended those 4 games in 2003.

Randy Moss never had more catches in a season than Jimmy. Moss also never had more yards in a season than Jimmy. Moss never had more yards in a game than Jimmy.

Andre Reed’s most yards in a game is 191 yards. Jimmy had a full 100 yards more against the best defense of all time vs the 2000 Ravens.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2023, 06:55 AM by JagFanatic24. Edited 3 times in total.)

Only 3 players had 12,000+ receiving yards from the beginning of the 1995 season until the beginning of the 2006 season:

1. Marvin Harrison - 12,331 receiving yards on 927 receptions
2. Jimmy Smith - 12,287 receiving yards on 862 receptions
3. Isaac Bruce - 12,006 receiving yards on 792 receptions

Only 2 players had 800 or more receptions, Jimmy and Marvin.

*Dont forget, Jimmy didn’t become the full time starter until 1997. Which was 5 calendar years from the day he entered the league until the season he became the full time starter. Jimmy probably would have had something around 1200 receptions for 20,000 yards and 90 TDs if he started from day 1.

From 1996 to 2001 Jimmy Smith had more catches and more receiving yards than any player in the NFL:

1. Jimmy Smith - 562 receptions for 7,972 yards in 95 games
2. Tim Brown - 532 receptions for 7,161 yards in 96 games
3. Cris Carter - 522 receptions for 6,629 yards in 96 games
4. Marvin Harrison - 522 receptions for 7,078 in 92 games
*5. Keenan McCardell - 499 receptions for 6,393 yards in 95 games. (No wonder Fred only had 1 Pro Bowl)