Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jawaan Taylor to Chefs

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 04:33 PM by IKhan't.)

(02-02-2023, 08:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 06:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Tony Boselli says he was our best offensive lineman last year.

He's right. That's also not good.

Agreed.

(02-02-2023, 09:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I just think we can replace JT's production without breaking the bank by drafting another tackle. That's how you win long term, replacing non-premium guys with rookies and saving that cap money for the important players.

Agree 100%. You create a winning team by building through the draft. We just need to do a better job drafting. There are some good OT's in this draft. We just need to add the right one.

(02-02-2023, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 12:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: I would only offer Taylor a 1 year contract.  3 bad years and then suddenly decent in his contract year? I don't trust it.

Another team will probably offer him a 3 or 4 year contract.  So be it.
Maybe we get a compensatory draft pick if that happens?

He's 25 going into his second contract. 

Offering a one year deal is the same as offering to arrange his move to another city. 
He'll get 4 year offers from 7 other teams.

They can have him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Unless the Jaguars are somehow able to trade an injured Cam Robinson (with a big contract), I would not pay Taylor the money he'll be asking for. If he was elite, then re=signing him would be an easy decision. He is a below average run blocker who is also coming off his contract season. The Jaguars will have to make some tough decisions, but in my opinion this is not one of them. Robinson and Little will be starting tackles and the team should draft someone who could replace one of the starters if they get injured. My first choice is Broderick Jones, who could play guard for one year before replacing Robinson. He's likely to go in the top 20 so they are likely to find someone else after the first round.

As a few people on here have noted, somewhere between wanting to come back and wanting to come to back for the money he 's offered there could be quite a few dollar bills ...

Just as a casual talking point I also wonder at what point the front office will start asking Trevor for a quiet opinion on positions like the o line or receiver. Unwise to make it public knowledge as other folk have in the past (Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson were looking at you) But eventually if they feel hes the fella long term, and we all feel he will be, surely they must have a quiet word to get a feel for whether the qb is happy with a guy or feel he fits around what he wants to do on the field.

(02-02-2023, 03:31 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 12:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: I would only offer Taylor a 1 year contract.  3 bad years and then suddenly decent in his contract year? I don't trust it.

Another team will probably offer him a 3 or 4 year contract.  So be it.
Maybe we get a compensatory draft pick if that happens?

So, what you are suggesting is that we use the franchise tag on Taylor then, because that is absolutely the only one year contract he would realistically sign this year.  

He's going to get offered multi-year deals by other teams for pretty good money if we don't sign him.

No.  I would not franchise him. Hope we get that compensatory pick!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-02-2023, 01:28 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He's 25 going into his second contract. 

Offering a one year deal is the same as offering to arrange his move to another city. 
He'll get 4 year offers from 7 other teams.

21 other offensive tackles were drafted in 2019.  I know not all of those are going to make it to the market, and I know some of them haven't been regular starters, but...
Is Taylor really one of the best of that bunch? I have to think there will be multiple better options on the market for a team with the need and the money.

32 teams 
3, maybe 4 RTs on the free agent market that are average starter quality or better.

I don't see one of the younger ones not having multiple suitors with multi-year deals. 

Numbers game, and a one year deal offer would be as pointless as installing a doorknob on your coffee table.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 05:22 PM by scottyg. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-02-2023, 04:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 03:31 PM)scottyg Wrote: So, what you are suggesting is that we use the franchise tag on Taylor then, because that is absolutely the only one year contract he would realistically sign this year.  

He's going to get offered multi-year deals by other teams for pretty good money if we don't sign him.

No.  I would not franchise him. Hope we get that compensatory pick!

This is probably the first year in a decade or two where we are likely to lose more players than we sign in UFA.  Compensatory picks could actually happen for once.

I'm a bit on the fence with Taylor though. He was a lot better this year than he had been previously, not unlike a lot of guys in the last year of their current contracts.  I'm getting kind of tired of spending high draft picks on Tackles though, and if we let Taylor walk, the chances we use a high draft pick on a tackle get pretty high.  I don't like the idea of paying him big money either - he's probably going to get paid a lot more than he's worth, if not by us, by someone else.

I dunno...  Unless he takes a home-town discount, I think I need someone else to make this decision for me.  I'm not taking responsibility for it otherwise Smile

He's not going to be worth the money he's going to cost. Let him walk and get the compensatory pick.

I say let him go.

(02-02-2023, 09:01 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 06:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Tony Boselli says he was our best offensive lineman last year.

Tony says that about every offensive lineman he's asked about I think. Lol.

Boselli is a Sunshine pumper.  Overall I like his opinion but always do not trust it.

1. We can't afford to franchise tag him. The tag for offensive tackle is way too high.

2. Taylor had his best year last year. Here is hoping he can build upon that.

3. Can the team find a better option?

(02-02-2023, 05:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 01:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: 21 other offensive tackles were drafted in 2019.  I know not all of those are going to make it to the market, and I know some of them haven't been regular starters, but...
Is Taylor really one of the best of that bunch? I have to think there will be multiple better options on the market for a team with the need and the money.

32 teams 
3, maybe 4 RTs on the free agent market that are average starter quality or better.

I don't see one of the younger ones not having multiple suitors with multi-year deals. 

Numbers game, and a one year deal offer would be as pointless as installing a doorknob on your coffee table.

I already installed the knob.   It looks nice!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Where do we want our money locked up? Currently there's a lot in the WR room. We have 2 big contracts on our OL, can we afford a 3rd? I say let him walk, draft a couple guys and play the best 5. If that puts Little at RT so be it. If he pushes Cam from left to right Cam don't care he's already been paid.
We have to save money for our DL/LB contracts coming up as well as eventually paying Trevor. Probably after next season

Trade Cam, then pay Taylor
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(02-02-2023, 09:30 PM)Ronster Wrote: Trade Cam, then pay Taylor

And have 20mill in dead cap?

No I don't think so

(02-03-2023, 12:57 AM)StrayaJag Wrote:

No I don't think so

Forgive me if I don't understand how all of this works but, is it not possible to trade somebody and have the new team take the entire debt? Isn't that what happened with Brock Osweiler a few years ago?

(02-02-2023, 11:59 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I just want my RT to be a much better run blocker than Taylor has been which is odd because Taylor was a very good run blocker at Florida.

(02-02-2023, 05:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Real facts: Taylor wasn't very good last year. We can replace his production with cheaper, younger guys.

He was damn good in Pass protection

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/112191786...7IydD8XCTg

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/112191807...WB88JyeyIg

If they feel like Talor's best football is ahead of him and he will continue to improve I think we resign him.

Naw man, you don't get it. We need to draft an Olineman from FSU

The reality is we won 9 games this year. We cannot just resign all our existing players to huge contracts and expect to get better. We have to sign some, but also keep maneuvering. Cannot just resign them all at top dollar.

I'm sure he does want to stay, but that doesn't mean we need to pay top dollar to make that happen. I think sometimes he looked awesome, and other times....

I would rather draft some linemen, and save the money to use towards other areas of need.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2023, 11:01 AM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2023, 02:15 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 12:57 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: And have 20mill in dead cap?

No I don't think so

Forgive me if I don't understand how all of this works but, is it not possible to trade somebody and have the new team take the entire debt? Isn't that what happened with Brock Osweiler a few years ago?

Cap hit is how the team accounts for cash to the player and may not happen in the same year as the cash is given necessarily.  For instance, signing bonuses are used to give a player cash now but spread the cap hit for that cash over the life of the contract which gives the team flexibility in signing other players in the current year.  If you trade that player in the middle of their contract, what ever unaccounted for signing bonus is left must immediately be recognized in the current year by the former team.  The annual salary that they get moving forward and the cap hit for it is the responsibility of whomever is paying that salary unless special arrangements are made in the trade.

(02-03-2023, 12:57 AM)StrayaJag Wrote:

No I don't think so

If the Jags were to release/cut Cam, they would have a $26m dead cap hit, made up of $10m unamortized signing bonus and a $16m guaranteed 2023 base salary.  Obviously, this situation will not happen.  

If the Jags were to trade Cam, the Jags would only have a $10m dead cap hit, which is the $10m of unamortized signing bonus.  The acquiring new team would be paying him his base salary and any incentives, and pick up that portion of his cap.  In a trade, the Jags would realize a 2023 salary cap savings of $12.1m (today's 2023 $22.1m cap figure less the $10m that must be accelerated and expensed).  

I don't think Jawaan Taylor is worth what he is going to get paid, and he's not going to give the Jags any meaningful hometown discount.  Robinson and Little, with a new swing tackle either acquired or drafted will be my choice for direction to go.