Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(02-18-2023, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He will get his chance in camp.  Just depends on what type of camp he has

He'll get a chance to make the roster again but he's not going to be seeing the feild in meaningful games barring injury.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-18-2023, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He will get his chance in camp.  Just depends on what type of camp he has

Idk. Couldn't really Crack the line up until injuries late. Now we add Ridley to the room. I think Tim is just a PS guy that gets called up when/if injuries happen

(02-17-2023, 07:34 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: With Marvin Jones most likely leaving, Tim Jones will get his chance.

Ridley replaces MJJ. Nothing else has really changed. Kirk, Z. Jones, and Agnew return. Technically, he will get a chance like everyone else brought to camp, but I see little reason to see his playing time change significantly, barring injury This even assumes the Jaguars don't use a draft pick which they might.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2023, 09:52 AM by imtheblkranger.)

https://www.nfl.com/news/evan-engram-jag...nchise-tag

Not really anything new, it's been relatively common knowledge we want him back and he wants to stay. But still nice to hear his thoughts, particularly how he feels about the franchise tag.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(02-21-2023, 09:52 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/evan-engram-jag...nchise-tag

Not really anything new, it's been relatively common knowledge we want him back and he wants to stay. But still nice to hear his thoughts, particularly how he feels about the franchise tag.

Yeah - was about to post that.

Quote:Engram noted he isn't worried about possibly getting tagged.

"It's a hypothetical, so it could happen, it could not," he said. "If that happens, I think that would be a place-holder to get something done. That's just the way I feel about it. If it does come to that, there will be conversations I have with my team, and we'll move forward from there. If that does happen, I'm going to be blessed either way. We'll figure something out long-term that both sides will be happy with."

(02-21-2023, 09:52 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/evan-engram-jag...nchise-tag

This makes me feel much better.

So what are y'alls thoughts on who to target for backup QB?

Beathard is a FA, and very meh.

If the Jags are switching gears to competing this year, they need a passable back up can come in for a series or game and hold down the fort. For the money, Stidham doesn't seem like a bad option, but not sure if y'all think spending a bit more is a better option.

(02-21-2023, 03:59 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: So what are y'alls thoughts on who to target for backup QB?

If the Jags are switching gears to competing this year, they need a passable back up can come in for a series or game and hold down the fort. For the money, Stidham doesn't seem like a bad option, but not sure if y'all think spending a bit more is a better option.

I'm normally an advocate of taking a late round or even UDFA QB to groom as a future backup, but this QB class is one of the worst I've seen in ages. Other than C.J. Stroud, Hendon Hooker and Bryce Young, I don't see anyone that really stands out to me or even flashes that much. I watched all the college all-star games and for the most part, the QB play was terrible. With that said, I was looking over the list of cheaper free agent veteran QB's and personally, I'd really like to bring in Cooper Rush or Nate Sudfeld. I've seen both guys flash some talent for periods of time in the preseason and I thought Rush did a fairly decent job filling in for Dak Prescott when he was out. Both guys should be fairly cheap. No matter who we sign as the backup though, I hope they never see the field.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2023, 05:32 PM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-21-2023, 04:52 PM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 03:59 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: So what are y'alls thoughts on who to target for backup QB?

I'm normally an advocate of taking a late round or even UDFA QB to groom as a future backup, but this QB class is one of the worst I've seen in ages. Other than C.J. Stroud, Hendon Hooker and Bryce Young, I don't see anyone that really stands out to me or even flashes that much. I watched all the college all-star games and for the most part, the QB play was terrible. With that said, I was looking over the list of cheaper free agent veteran QB's and personally, I'd really like to bring in Cooper Rush or Nate Sudfeld. I've seen both guys flash some talent for periods of time in the preseason and I thought Rush did a fairly decent job filling in for Dak Prescott when he was out. Both guys should be fairly cheap. No matter who we sign as the backup though, I hope they never see the field.

I know we all think this. But take the Chiefs for example.

During their 1st SB season, the back up came in ( I think Cassell) and played passable for 5 games when Mahomes got hurt. Mahomes has also gotten hurt in 2 playoff games requiring Henne to hold off the Browns for a half and be passable against the Jags for a drive. Plus I'm pretty sure all those injuries occured in the pocket.

So just betting that Lawrence won't get hurt seems foolish to me. So, prioritizing a back up to hold down the fort as needed makes sense for a team looking to start contending.

Sudfield has been horrible in what I've seen. Basically throwing the game if he has to play. Rush only survived those games because the  Cowboys defense was playing at elite levels and the running game was able to carry them to some extent. The Jags probably won't have a defense at level in the next few seasons, and the running game was inconsistent game-to-game last year.

I honestly think paying up for the next tier back up should be highly considered.

There are a ton of free agent backup level QBs, that could play short term in a pinch, in the $2m per year range. It will be interesting to see Nathan Rourke in the preseason to compete for the number 2 job, as a number of other NFL teams wanted to sign him.

Per BC Lions website...
"2022: Nathan emerged as the Canadian Football League’s top story in 2022, becoming only the third quarterback in history to win the league’s Most Outstanding Canadian Award, joining Russ Jackson and Gerry Dattilio. Rourke set a new Pro Football record for completion percentage at 78.7 and ended up with the second-best ever CFL passer rating of 123.6 (minimum 250 attempts).

Despite appearing in only ten regular season contests due to a Linsfranc foot sprain suffered on August 19, Rourke finished the season second in the CFL with 25 touchdown passes and sixth overall with 3,349 passing yards while helping the Lions to a second-place finish in the West and first home playoff game since the 2016 campaign. With a 436- yard performance in a win over Toronto in week three, Rourke broke Dattilio’s 41-year-old single-game passing record for Canadian quarterbacks. Rourke would then break his own record in back-to-back weeks with 477 yards in an August 6 win over Edmonton and 488 yards in a thrilling comeback victory at Calgary. After his return in the regular season finale against Winnipeg where he was behind centre for 16 plays, Rourke contributed greatly to the Western Semi-Final win over Calgary, completing 22 of 30 passes for 321 yards and two touchdown strikes. He led all quarterbacks in the CFL playoffs with 621 passing yards over two contests."

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2023, 06:11 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

So Engram apparently thought the Jags were announcing his extension today? Lol

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/did-...he-jaguars

(02-21-2023, 04:52 PM)IKhan't Wrote:

(02-21-2023, 05:55 PM)ATLjag Wrote: There are a ton of free agent backup level QBs, that could play short term in a pinch, in the $2m per year range. It will be interesting to see Nathan Rourke in the preseason to compete for the number 2 job, as a number of other NFL teams wanted to sign him.

Per BC Lions website...
"2022: Nathan emerged as the Canadian Football League’s top story in 2022, becoming only the third quarterback in history to win the league’s Most Outstanding Canadian Award, joining Russ Jackson and Gerry Dattilio. Rourke set a new Pro Football record for completion percentage at 78.7 and ended up with the second-best ever CFL passer rating of 123.6 (minimum 250 attempts).

Despite appearing in only ten regular season contests due to a Linsfranc foot sprain suffered on August 19, Rourke finished the season second in the CFL with 25 touchdown passes and sixth overall with 3,349 passing yards while helping the Lions to a second-place finish in the West and first home playoff game since the 2016 campaign. With a 436- yard performance in a win over Toronto in week three, Rourke broke Dattilio’s 41-year-old single-game passing record for Canadian quarterbacks. Rourke would then break his own record in back-to-back weeks with 477 yards in an August 6 win over Edmonton and 488 yards in a thrilling comeback victory at Calgary. After his return in the regular season finale against Winnipeg where he was behind centre for 16 plays, Rourke contributed greatly to the Western Semi-Final win over Calgary, completing 22 of 30 passes for 321 yards and two touchdown strikes. He led all quarterbacks in the CFL playoffs with 621 passing yards over two contests."

Nathan Rourke should be the favourite to be backup. He has more upside and experience than any late round pick, and is cheaper than any veteran we can bring in.

Rourke vs Perry for the backup QB position.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(02-21-2023, 06:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So Engram apparently thought the Jags were announcing his extension today? Lol

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/did-...he-jaguars

Likely either that, or that he's going to be tagged, at the least. He clearly knows something and obviously isn't upset about it.

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023, 09:19 AM by Mikey.)

@We already signed Nathan Rourke.@

GO BOBCATS!
---
Did CJB say he wants out? I want a backup who is smart and is gonna work well with TLaw while studying film/photos on the sideline and in the film room. If CJB wants to stick around affordably, I see no reason to upset the apple cart.

(02-21-2023, 06:27 PM)RCGP Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 04:52 PM)IKhan't Wrote: I'm normally an advocate of taking a late round or even UDFA QB to groom as a future backup, but this QB class is one of the worst I've seen in ages. Other than C.J. Stroud, Hendon Hooker and Bryce Young, I don't see anyone that really stands out to me or even flashes that much. I watched all the college all-star games and for the most part, the QB play was terrible. With that said, I was looking over the list of cheaper free agent veteran QB's and personally, I'd really like to bring in Cooper Rush or Nate Sudfeld. I've seen both guys flash some talent for periods of time in the preseason and I thought Rush did a fairly decent job filling in for Dak Prescott when he was out. Both guys should be fairly cheap. No matter who we sign as the backup though, I hope they never see the field.

(02-21-2023, 05:55 PM)ATLjag Wrote: There are a ton of free agent backup level QBs, that could play short term in a pinch, in the $2m per year range.  It will be interesting to see Nathan Rourke in the preseason to compete for the number 2 job, as a number of other NFL teams wanted to sign him. 

Per BC Lions website...
"2022: Nathan emerged as the Canadian Football League’s top story in 2022, becoming only the third quarterback in history to win the league’s Most Outstanding Canadian Award, joining Russ Jackson and Gerry Dattilio. Rourke set a new Pro Football record for completion percentage at 78.7  and ended up with the second-best ever CFL passer rating of 123.6 (minimum 250 attempts).

Nathan Rourke should be the favourite to be backup.  He has more upside and experience than any late round pick, and is cheaper than any veteran we can bring in.

...are you basing this on the Canadian exchange rate? Smile

(02-21-2023, 05:31 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 04:52 PM)IKhan't Wrote: I'm normally an advocate of taking a late round or even UDFA QB to groom as a future backup, but this QB class is one of the worst I've seen in ages. Other than C.J. Stroud, Hendon Hooker and Bryce Young, I don't see anyone that really stands out to me or even flashes that much. I watched all the college all-star games and for the most part, the QB play was terrible. With that said, I was looking over the list of cheaper free agent veteran QB's and personally, I'd really like to bring in Cooper Rush or Nate Sudfeld. I've seen both guys flash some talent for periods of time in the preseason and I thought Rush did a fairly decent job filling in for Dak Prescott when he was out. Both guys should be fairly cheap. No matter who we sign as the backup though, I hope they never see the field.

I know we all think this. But take the Chiefs for example.

During their 1st SB season, the back up came in ( I think Cassell) and played passable for 5 games when Mahomes got hurt. Mahomes has also gotten hurt in 2 playoff games requiring Henne to hold off the Browns for a half and be passable against the Jags for a drive. Plus I'm pretty sure all those injuries occured in the pocket.

So just betting that Lawrence won't get hurt seems foolish to me. So, prioritizing a back up to hold down the fort as needed makes sense for a team looking to start contending.

Sudfield has been horrible in what I've seen. Basically throwing the game if he has to play. Rush only survived those games because the  Cowboys defense was playing at elite levels and the running game was able to carry them to some extent. The Jags probably won't have a defense at level in the next few seasons, and the running game was inconsistent game-to-game last year.

I honestly think paying up for the next tier back up should be highly considered.

I didn't read this whole post.... I stopped at Henne had to come in and be "passable" vs Jags.
Dude went 99 yards on our [BLEEP]. 
Ugh.....
Passable indeed

Anywho..... carry on

(02-22-2023, 11:42 AM)Kane Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 05:31 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I know we all think this. But take the Chiefs for example.

I didn't read this whole post.... I stopped at Henne had to come in and be "passable" vs Jags.
Ugh.....
Passable indeed

Anywho..... carry on

Henne only had 23 passing yards on that drive.  The running game accounted for 60 yards and a penalty for another 15.

(02-22-2023, 10:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 11:42 AM)Kane Wrote: I didn't read this whole post.... I stopped at Henne had to come in and be "passable" vs Jags.
Ugh.....
Passable indeed

Anywho..... carry on

Henne only had 23 passing yards on that drive.  The running game accounted for 60 yards and a penalty for another 15.

Henne made the money plays though. Multiple 3rd down conversions and the TD.

(02-22-2023, 10:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 11:42 AM)Kane Wrote: I didn't read this whole post.... I stopped at Henne had to come in and be "passable" vs Jags.
Ugh.....
Passable indeed

Anywho..... carry on

That is why I said passable, as in like C+/B-. He also didn't make a back breaking mistake or hold onto the ball too long in a very pressure situation. Because recall, at that moment he didn't know if Mahomes would be able to come back in the game.

(02-22-2023, 10:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 10:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Henne only had 23 passing yards on that drive.  The running game accounted for 60 yards and a penalty for another 15.

Henne made the money plays though. Multiple 3rd down conversions and the TD.

Money plays as in dropped pick 6’s and a BS roughing penalty?