Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Round 5 - Abdullah OLB

He was by far one of my favorite selections from this draft. His upside is there. His production is clearly there coming out of the ACC. He'll be a rotational player early on but if they line him up correctly with Walker and Allen there's a good chance he finds his way around a tackle or guard multiple times this year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-29-2023, 02:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-29-2023, 02:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: What do you mean "inside?" Are you seeing Walker at 3-4 DE or 3-4 ILB?

3-4 end
they had him play some snaps there in camp last year and in several late season games last year

As an OLB Walker could be Smoot/Reynaldo Wynn, good at setting the edge and so-so pass rusher. However, Walker could be a really beastly 3-4 end overwhelming guards with his strength and length.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Can he be like an Elvis Dumervil?

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 12:58 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-02-2023, 11:22 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Can he be like an Elvis Dumervil?

That's some of the comparisons I have seen out there for him. I like him more as a Haason Reddick type. Same size to be exact. Great value where we got him though. Can't stress that enough. It took Reddick until his fourth year to really shine and find himself in Arizona, and then he cashed in with Carolina and REALLY cashed in with Philadelphia. 

Abdullah has a chance to develop nice and easy with this defense. Just really comes down to Caldwell as a coordinator and the coaching staff as a developmental staff. He has plenty of potential though and I really think, if they can get more out of Walker this year and the fact that we actually resigned RHH and Hamilton? This kid has a chance to use his speed and size to move through the gaps and around the tackles that the bigger guys up front will take on and create. 

I think he's capable of hitting anywhere between 5 - 10 sacks as a rookie. Which is not a bad deal for a 3rd day pick with room to grow.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-02-2023, 12:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 11:22 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Can he be like an Elvis Dumervil?

That's some of the comparisons I have seen out there for him. I like him more as a Haason Reddick type. Same size to be exact. Great value where we got him though. Can't stress that enough. It took Reddick until his fourth year to really shine and find himself in Arizona, and then he cashed in with Carolina and REALLY cashed in with Philadelphia. 

Abdullah has a chance to develop nice and easy with this defense. Just really comes down to Caldwell as a coordinator and the coaching staff as a developmental staff. He has plenty of potential though and I really think, if they can get more out of Walker this year and the fact that we actually resigned RHH and Hamilton? This kid has a chance to use his speed and size to move through the gaps and around the tackles that the bigger guys up front will take on and create. 

I think he's capable of hitting anywhere between 5 - 10 sacks as a rookie. Which is not a bad deal for a 3rd day pick with room to grow.

I would be happy by taking the low end of your sack prediction. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them will be game altering sacks. 

He’s already one of the quickest/fastest DE in the league with his 4.4 speed.

Here’s a stat for all of you stat guys, dude had 11 sacks, and of those 11 sacks, 4 of them were forced fumbles. He also had 2 interceptions. 

Dripping and oozing with talent. I think he can use his size and speed to his advantage. If I’m a 6’5” Left or Right tackle and I have to block that, I’d be shivering in my cleats knowing 4.4 is world class speed. Once he got my feet moving laterally and he sticks a club in my chest, I’m gonna fall back into the QB while he wrecks shop. 

As a tackle, I’m going back to the huddle just happy that a fumble wasn’t caused…ahh crud…now it’s 2nd down and I gotta try to stop him again, and again…etc

Dude is going to cause problems for these tackles. I’d be happy with 5 sacks, a couple of FF.

Where we drafted him wasn’t too far off where we drafted one of the best LB’s that ever came through Jacksonville, Telvin Smith.

I've gotten excited about undersized pass rushers before.

Then I watched them get easily swallowed up or spun out of the play by 310 pound linemen with 34 inch arms week after week.

My hope for the talented young man is that he shows enough to make the team, then shows enough to earn some snaps in the rotation, then, at some point, maybe we're having a real discussion about his potential in this defense.

I'd feel like we did OK (in his rookie year) if he's on the field after the bye for 15-20% of the snaps and affects the QB in some way a time or two every other week.

Highly productive college player going up against high level talent.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Telvin Smith kind of guy

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2023, 07:50 AM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

Once a NFL tackle gets their hands on Abdullah it’s probably over.

Would anyone, other than myself, mind a switch to a 4-3 base? Of course they would need to add a couple more defensive linemen.

(05-02-2023, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've gotten excited about undersized pass rushers before.

Then I watched them get easily swallowed up or spun out of the play by 310 pound linemen with 34 inch arms week after week.

My hope for the talented young man is that he shows enough to make the team, then shows enough to earn some snaps in the rotation, then, at some point, maybe we're having a real discussion about his potential in this defense.

I'd feel like we did OK (in his rookie year) if he's on the field after the bye for 15-20% of the snaps and affects the QB in some way a time or two every other week.

This is why I was stating earlier, if schemed properly and utilized next to some of the bigger guys we already have. Like Walker, RHH, Hamilton and even Fatukasi. If he can use his size and speed to shoot gaps, run stunts and spin around or in between tackles and guards he'll have some opportunities to effect the passer. 

5.0 sacks is my baseline for him as a rookie if he makes the final roster. Anything over that is a bonus for me. He really does come off as a Hasaan Reddick type. Just might take him some time to develop a natural feel for the NFL and hit his stride. 

I am glad we took an undersized pass rusher that stayed healthy in college in RD5 though Vs. taking a chance on Nolan Smith with the 24th selection that had a hard time staying healthy and getting production on the field.

(05-02-2023, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've gotten excited about undersized pass rushers before.

I have to agree with your assessment of this pick. It's so difficult for these undersized pass rushers to succeed at the NFL level, For every Elvis Dumervill or Reddick, there are 10 guys like Larry Hart, one of the many busts that Gene Smith selected- also in round 5 like Abdullah. All we can do is hope Abdullah is the exception and carves out a successful career in the NFL.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2023, 03:25 AM by jj82284. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-03-2023, 08:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

This is why I was stating earlier, if schemed properly and utilized next to some of the bigger guys we already have. Like Walker, RHH, Hamilton and even Fatukasi. If he can use his size and speed to shoot gaps, run stunts and spin around or in between tackles and guards he'll have some opportunities to effect the passer. 

5.0 sacks is my baseline for him as a rookie if he makes the final roster. Anything over that is a bonus for me. He really does come off as a Hasaan Reddick type. Just might take him some time to develop a natural feel for the NFL and hit his stride. 

I am glad we took an undersized pass rusher that stayed healthy in college in RD5 though Vs. taking a chance on Nolan Smith with the 24th selection that had a hard time staying healthy and getting production on the field.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QrpTcw5ec.com

(05-01-2023, 12:40 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Hopefully chassion can do something amazing this season. It would be nice. Come back season for him with his jaguars career at a crossroads.

I think two things can be true @ the same time.   I think he can come in, be productive as a rotational pass rusher, and also not be in the teas long term plans for a veteran contract.

This guy could be the X factor in our draft. If he could give us some pass rush coming off the bench if would be much beneficial to the D

(05-07-2023, 09:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This guy could be the X factor in our draft.  If he could give us some pass rush coming off the bench if would be much beneficial to the D

If he can come in and be a positive in the 4 man rotation, this is a great pick.   He also has a ton of upside with his athletic traits.   Lacey as a force to set the edge and stop the run could put us in more 3rdand 6 plus situations to give him more "at bats"

https://twitter.com/justonlewis_/status/...915L-t18Xg

Two rookies battling.