Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Round 7 - Derek Parish - FB

(05-09-2023, 07:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Our missing piece since Greg Jones

Lol ... B U S T  for a 2nd round pick.

..... ok, i'm most certain someone will put up the highlight of him bulldozing a player from UNC but that was college.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-16-2023, 09:16 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Lol ... B U S T  for a 2nd round pick.

..... ok, i'm most certain someone will put up the highlight of him bulldozing a player from UNC but that was college.

Them's fightin' words. I'll fight you right now.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Hey, I just came here to look at the Greg Jones comments. What a beast of a fullback.

I forget who we were playing but I remember a Greg Jones run where it appeared he picked up a pursuer and tossed him out of the way. The dude was ungodly strong and is still in good shape.

Tommy Bohanon slander!  Angry
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(05-22-2023, 09:20 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I forget who we were playing but I remember a Greg Jones run where it appeared he picked up a pursuer and tossed him out of the way. The dude was ungodly strong and is still in good shape.

He had a few of them in College as well.

Greg Jones was drafted as a RB. He tore his knee and that was the end of his RB days. I remember he got his first 100 yard rushing game against Baltimore in 2005. A few games later he rushed over 100 yards against Cleveland.

I also remember that next summer Vic Ketchman said Jones’ feet looked quick. He was sporting the knee-high white socks during the scrimmage. He ended up missing the entire 2006 season.

But with the knee injury and Jones-Drew’s production, it spelled the end of Greg’s chance to play RB.

Greg Jones carried the ball 272 in his 9 year career and fumbled the football 1 time. His only fumble happened in week 2 of his rookie season, which was in a 7-6 win at home against Denver.

He carved out a career as a FB and was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2007. He also signed the richest FB contract in NFL history that offseason.

Jones ended his career with 13 TD’s and was apart of 2 playoffs teams (2005, 2007).

(05-22-2023, 09:20 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I forget who we were playing but I remember a Greg Jones run where it appeared he picked up a pursuer and tossed him out of the way. The dude was ungodly strong and is still in good shape.

Other than the 428 times that video has been posted on this website, I really don't recall that run.

I do recall the 911 total rushing yards that our 2nd round draft pick accumulated here in his 8 year stint here in Jacksonville.

I never understood this love affair that some have with Greg Jones.  He was a second round running back that had 911 career rushing yards with the Jaguars.  This ranks him 15th on the career rushing yards list as a Jaguar and behind players such as Stacey Mack, Denard Robinson and Rashad Jennings.  He's barely ahead of Chris Ivory who was only here for two years.  If you exclude Greg Jones' injured season, he played 8 years with the Jaguars.  That means he averaged less than 114 yards per season.  He averaged less than 8 yards per game.  Again, he averaged less than 8 rushing yards per game.  Talk about a lack of production.

Some will say they liked his blocking.  However, blocking fullbacks are a dime a dozen.  Even back then, a blocking fullback was something you maybe draft in a late round but wasn't uncommon for teams just to use a UDFA.  We took Greg Jones in the second round.  Some will say that our running game would have suffered without him, but would it?  Ask yourself "what happened the year he was injured?"  They replaced Greg Jones with a UDFA in his second year.  Did the running game suffer?  No.  In fact, the Jaguars rushed for more yards that year than any year with a healthy Greg Jones.  He may be the most overrated Jaguars of all time.

(05-27-2023, 01:39 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I never understood this love affair that some have with Greg Jones.  He was a second round running back that had 911 career rushing yards with the Jaguars.  This ranks him 15th on the career rushing yards list as a Jaguar and behind players such as Stacey Mack, Denard Robinson and Rashad Jennings.  He's barely ahead of Chris Ivory who was only here for two years.  If you exclude Greg Jones' injured season, he played 8 years with the Jaguars.  That means he averaged less than 114 yards per season.  He averaged less than 8 yards per game.  Again, he averaged less than 8 rushing yards per game.  Talk about a lack of production.

Some will say they liked his blocking.  However, blocking fullbacks are a dime a dozen.  Even back then, a blocking fullback was something you maybe draft in a late round but wasn't uncommon for teams just to use a UDFA.  We took Greg Jones in the second round.  Some will say that our running game would have suffered without him, but would it?  Ask yourself "what happened the year he was injured?"  They replaced Greg Jones with a UDFA in his second year.  Did the running game suffer?  No.  In fact, the Jaguars rushed for more yards that year than any year with a healthy Greg Jones.  He may be the most overrated Jaguars of all time.

A few things:
  • FSU product - so he gets love from 'noles fans
  • He lead blocked for Freddy for a good 5 years and threw some incredible blocks to spring big runs
  • He blocked for MJD for several years, once again producing lots of big runs
  • If you are a fan of Fred and MJD and don't appreciate Greg's contribution, you're missing the boat a bit
  • He only switched to a primary lead blocking role after a knee injury early in his NFL stint effectively ended his career as a running fullback
Here's a snippet on the topic from Vito Stellino back in the day

Quote:Said Lewis: "You either find yourself not in the league because you're discouraged, or you do what Greg is doing, making the most of your opportunities and becoming one of the best fullbacks in the league. There's only two ways of going, up or down. He's definitely going up."

Jones says he doesn't feel unlucky because of the knee injuries and has come to enjoy his role. He said he gets a lot of satisfaction out of helping Jones-Drew, who ranks second in the league in rushing, break a long run.
"When he makes a big run, I'm going to be one of the first guys to congratulate him," Jones said. "At the end of my career, don't talk about me. Talk about the runners I blocked for."
Jones-Drew calls Jones "hands down, the best fullback in the league. When he blocks, people move out of the way for him."
"Whoever Greg is supposed to block, they're going to get blocked," added offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

You may find the full article very enlightening:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sport...921986007/

(05-27-2023, 01:39 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I never understood this love affair that some have with Greg Jones.  He was a second round running back that had 911 career rushing yards with the Jaguars.  This ranks him 15th on the career rushing yards list as a Jaguar and behind players such as Stacey Mack, Denard Robinson and Rashad Jennings.  He's barely ahead of Chris Ivory who was only here for two years.  If you exclude Greg Jones' injured season, he played 8 years with the Jaguars.  That means he averaged less than 114 yards per season.  He averaged less than 8 yards per game.  Again, he averaged less than 8 rushing yards per game.  Talk about a lack of production.

This is honestly a very, very fair take. Greg Jones was never the same after that knee injury during his third year. He didn't see much action as a rookie, then he filled in decently his 2nd year for Taylor when he got hurt.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Greg Jones is the best FB we have ever had. That's why fans love him. He was unselfish and a great team player. Plus he would lay you out with a block of you got in his way.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-27-2023, 02:30 PM)Dimson Wrote: Greg Jones is the best FB we have ever had. That's why fans love him. He was unselfish and a great team player. Plus he would lay you out with a block of you got in his way.

Yep yep

(05-27-2023, 01:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

A few things:
  • FSU product - so he gets love from 'noles fans
  • He lead blocked for Freddy for a good 5 years and threw some incredible blocks to spring big runs
  • He blocked for MJD for several years, once again producing lots of big runs
  • If you are a fan of Fred and MJD and don't appreciate Greg's contribution, you're missing the boat a bit
  • He only switched to a primary lead blocking role after a knee injury early in his NFL stint effectively ended his career as a running fullback
Here's a snippet on the topic from Vito Stellino back in the day

Quote:Said Lewis: "You either find yourself not in the league because you're discouraged, or you do what Greg is doing, making the most of your opportunities and becoming one of the best fullbacks in the league. There's only two ways of going, up or down. He's definitely going up."

Jones says he doesn't feel unlucky because of the knee injuries and has come to enjoy his role. He said he gets a lot of satisfaction out of helping Jones-Drew, who ranks second in the league in rushing, break a long run.
"When he makes a big run, I'm going to be one of the first guys to congratulate him," Jones said. "At the end of my career, don't talk about me. Talk about the runners I blocked for."
Jones-Drew calls Jones "hands down, the best fullback in the league. When he blocks, people move out of the way for him."
"Whoever Greg is supposed to block, they're going to get blocked," added offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

You may find the full article very enlightening:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sport...921986007/

I am a fan of Fred Taylor and MJD but I give most of the credit for their success to Fred Taylor and MJD.  If Greg Jones was a significant factor, they would have struggled the year Greg Jones was injured.  They didn't.  They didn't miss a beat without Jones.