Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How many rookies stick?
This poll is closed.
5.17%
6 5.17%
3.45%
4 3.45%
12.93%
15 12.93%
19.83%
23 19.83%
15.52%
18 15.52%
19.83%
23 19.83%
9 or more
17.24%
20 17.24%
Corn
5.17%
6 5.17%
Blank #2
0.86%
1 0.86%
Total 116 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

13 picks - How many make the 53?

I'm going to assume Harrison and Strange are locks.

Bigsby - Only reason I'm not calling him a lock is we are so deep at the position and last year we only kept 3 RBs on the initial 53. Although admittedly I'd be stunned if Bigsby doesnt make it only because it'd be horrifically embarrassing to put your 3rd rounder on the practice squad. Take the round he was drafted away however and I don't think he'd be a lock at all. But let's say he is safe and they keep 4 RBs. That takes a spot away from another position.
Miller - Last year we only kept 4 ILB on the initial 53. Foye, Lloyd, and Muma are locks. I'll give the edge to Miller over Quarterman just because he is a rookie. This could also change if they move Lloyd to OLB
Lacy - Last year we had 6 interior dlineman on the 53. RRH, Foley, and Davon are locks this year. Would be surprised if Gotsis doesnt make it. Who else do we have? Considering the lack of depth here, Lacy would have to look terrible to not make it.
Abdullah - Had 5 OLB/pass rushers last year. Allen and Walker are only locks. Feels like I have to be missing someone. Similar to above, lack of depth makes this a near lock unless he looks awful. Really opens the door to move Lloyd if that better suits his game.
Johnson / Hallett / Braswell - Doing these 3 together. Last year we had 4 safeties and 7 CBs on initial 53. Jenkins, Cisco, Winguard are locks at S. Campbell and Williams locks at CB. That makes 5 with 6 open spots left. Didn't call Herndon a lock but I'd be surprised if not on the team as I think they like his experience. Still leaves 5 spots. I think this is a total throw of the darts. Lots of young guys all fighting for these backup spots. Both Claybrooks and Thomas have experience, have played, and know the system. Some young corners (brown and junior) who could still develop. Johnson is in the most enviable spot since it sounds like he can play S and nickel if need be. Don't know anything about the other corners we drafted. A lot of opportunity for whomever flashes. But do we remove a spot here to keep that 4th RB? I'll say Johnson is the only one who makes it and the other two on the practice squad.
Washington - Last year kept 5. Ridley, Kirk, Zay, and Agnew are locks. Tim Jones made the 53 last year but didn't get a ton of reps. Other young guys like Austin who are fighting for spot. Not happy with the overall draft but feeling better about Washington the more I watch. Definitely an opportunity for him to take a spot if he can bring something unique. Sounds like he has really good hands and can make big plays. I'll be optimistic and say he steals a spot.
7th rounders I'll say all practice squad. Most intrigued with Hodges but not enough room on the offensive line.

so what does that add up to? 8. Maybe a good thing we kept as many draft picks as we did. Feels like we are really thin in certain areas. Should have addressed the defensive line earlier.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

On offense: Harrison (RT starter), Strange (TE2), Bigsby (RB2), Washington (WR5), and, possibly, Parrish (ST/FB).
On defense: Abdullah (DPR), Miller (ST/ILB2), Lacy (DL2), Braswell (CB2/ST), and Johnson (S2/ST).

In total, I am initially in the 9-10 camp. Baalke's ego will not go below this number.

Be lucky if even half of them make the roster.

Honestly I wont be a bit surprised if we look back at this draft in 1-2 years and only 4 or 5 players from it are still on the roster.

(05-01-2023, 07:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Be lucky if even half of them make the roster.

Honestly I wont be a bit surprised if we look back at this draft in 1-2 years and only 4 or 5 players from it are still on the roster.

If those 4-5 are good players in the league it'll be a slam dunk draft.

(05-01-2023, 07:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Be lucky if even half of them make the roster.

Maybe, but I see this as turning over the bottom of the roster. Anyone not a starter last year has a replacement in this group somewhere. Herndon, Thomas, Snoop, Smoot, Farrell, Gotsis, Chaisson, Claybrooks...all those spots have new bodies now.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-01-2023, 09:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Maybe, but I see this as turning over the bottom of the roster. Anyone not a starter last year has a replacement in this group somewhere. Herndon, Thomas, Snoop, Smoot, Farrell, Gotsis, Chaisson, Claybrooks...all those spots have new bodies now.

That's exactly correct.  Some of the guys you listed and others have contracts that expire after this year, too, so replacing them with cheap rookies who can stay beyond the end of this season is wise.  After all, if we want to be a draft and develop team, we have to have young players on contracts that go beyond the end of the season.

Oh it's suddenly now draft and develop? What about the past two draft classes after round 3, were they not draft and develop? They're trash.

Lets take a look...

Traded up to get Snoop in the 5th, he's a bum.
CB Gregory Junior in the 6th, hasn't did anything and most likely gone.
CB Montaric Brown in the 7th, hasn't did anything and most likely gone.

DT Jay Tufele in the 4th. Hasn't did anything and wasn't even on the team this past season.
OLB Jordan Smith in the 4th. Hasn't didn't anything, is he even on the roster still?
TE Luke Farrell in the 5th. Hasn't did much of anything. Some Special Teams here and there.
WR Jalen Camp in the 6th. Hasn't did anything. Wasn't even on the team the past two seasons.

These are the most recent, but you can go back and look at Baalke's drafts with the 49ers. All trash especially after round 3. I don't know why people suddenly expect anything different.

But hey, maybe the Sun wont rise today and that'll be different.

(05-02-2023, 06:29 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Oh it's suddenly now draft and develop? What about the past two draft classes after round 3, were they not draft and develop? They're trash.

Lets take a look...

DT Jay Tufele in the 4th. Hasn't did anything and wasn't even on the team this past season.
OLB Jordan Smith in the 4th. Hasn't didn't anything, is he even on the roster still?
TE Luke Farrell in the 5th. Hasn't did much of anything. Some Special Teams here and there.
WR Jalen Camp in the 6th. Hasn't did anything. Wasn't even on the team the past two seasons.

These are the most recent, but you can go back and look at Baalke's drafts with the 49ers. All trash especially after round 3. I don't know why people suddenly expect anything different.

So you are saying Baalke is not a good drafter, therefore most of these picks are bad picks and won't make the team.  

My theory is, since we have a mega-contract coming up for Trevor, we have to let go of some veteran backups, especially since a lot of those veteran backups are on short term contracts, and rookies are cheaper.  Add to that the fact that most GMs think they made good picks, and most GMs think all their picks have potential, they will be inclined to take a chance on a rookie over a veteran backup.  

The question wasn't did we make good picks.  The question was how many will make the team.

(05-02-2023, 06:29 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Oh it's suddenly now draft and develop? What about the past two draft classes after round 3, were they not draft and develop? They're trash.

Lets take a look...

I didn't say those guys were gonna be any good, I said they're roster churn to lower contracts by eliminating veteran bench guys.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

this, we're going to cull the developmental guys that arent developing and see if the new blood does any better. If any of them are struck gold, then that's just gravy.

(05-01-2023, 05:34 PM)rfc17 Wrote: I'm going to assume Harrison and Strange are locks. 

Bigsby - Only reason I'm not calling him a lock is we are so deep at the position and last year we only kept 3 RBs on the initial 53.  Although admittedly I'd be stunned if Bigsby doesnt make it only because it'd be horrifically embarrassing to put your 3rd rounder on the practice squad.  Take the round he was drafted away however and I don't think he'd be a lock at all.  But let's say he is safe and they keep 4 RBs.  That takes a spot away from another position.
Miller - Last year we only kept 4 ILB on the initial 53.  Foye, Lloyd, and Muma are locks.  I'll give the edge to Miller over Quarterman just because he is a rookie.  This could also change if they move Lloyd to OLB
Lacy - Last year we had 6 interior dlineman on the 53.  RRH, Foley, and Davon are locks this year.  Would be surprised if Gotsis doesnt make it.  Who else do we have?  Considering the lack of depth here, Lacy would have to look terrible to not make it. 
Abdullah - Had 5 OLB/pass rushers last year.  Allen and Walker are only locks.  Feels like I have to be missing someone.  Similar to above, lack of depth makes this a near lock unless he looks awful.  Really opens the door to move Lloyd if that better suits his game.
Johnson / Hallett / Braswell -  Doing these 3 together.  Last year we had 4 safeties and 7 CBs on initial 53.  Jenkins, Cisco, Winguard are locks at S.  Campbell and Williams locks at CB.  That makes 5 with 6 open spots left.  Didn't call Herndon a lock but I'd be surprised if not on the team as I think they like his experience.  Still leaves 5 spots.  I think this is a total throw of the darts.  Lots of young guys all fighting for these backup spots.  Both Claybrooks and Thomas have experience, have played, and know the system.  Some young corners (brown and junior) who could still develop.  Johnson is in the most enviable spot since it sounds like he can play S and nickel if need be.  Don't know anything about the other corners we drafted.  A lot of opportunity for whomever flashes.  But do we remove a spot here to keep that 4th RB?  I'll say Johnson is the only one who makes it and the other two on the practice squad.
Washington - Last year kept 5.  Ridley, Kirk, Zay, and Agnew are locks.  Tim Jones made the 53 last year but didn't get a ton of reps.  Other young guys like Austin who are fighting for spot.  Not happy with the overall draft but feeling better about Washington the more I watch.  Definitely an opportunity for him to take a spot if he can bring something unique.  Sounds like he has really good hands and can make big plays.  I'll be optimistic and say he steals a spot.
7th rounders I'll say all practice squad.  Most intrigued with Hodges but not enough room on the offensive line.

so what does that add up to?  8.  Maybe a good thing we kept as many draft picks as we did.  Feels like we are really thin in certain areas.  Should have addressed the defensive line earlier.

Bigsby is a lock. There's no way they'll let the 88th selection at his position fall off the roster and chance it on the PS with him. Etienne is an obvious lock. I see Bigsby getting the nod as the 2nd back. Johnson, Hasty and Connor are duking it out for the 3rd spot.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Thus far - SIX KEEPERS - is the winning vote.
These votes will keep running until September for anyone who hasn't offered up a guesstimate.

(05-02-2023, 08:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 05:34 PM)rfc17 Wrote: I'm going to assume Harrison and Strange are locks. 

Bigsby - Only reason I'm not calling him a lock is we are so deep at the position and last year we only kept 3 RBs on the initial 53.  Although admittedly I'd be stunned if Bigsby doesnt make it only because it'd be horrifically embarrassing to put your 3rd rounder on the practice squad.  Take the round he was drafted away however and I don't think he'd be a lock at all.  But let's say he is safe and they keep 4 RBs.  That takes a spot away from another position.
Miller - Last year we only kept 4 ILB on the initial 53.  Foye, Lloyd, and Muma are locks.  I'll give the edge to Miller over Quarterman just because he is a rookie.  This could also change if they move Lloyd to OLB
Lacy - Last year we had 6 interior dlineman on the 53.  RRH, Foley, and Davon are locks this year.  Would be surprised if Gotsis doesnt make it.  Who else do we have?  Considering the lack of depth here, Lacy would have to look terrible to not make it. 
Abdullah - Had 5 OLB/pass rushers last year.  Allen and Walker are only locks.  Feels like I have to be missing someone.  Similar to above, lack of depth makes this a near lock unless he looks awful.  Really opens the door to move Lloyd if that better suits his game.
Johnson / Hallett / Braswell -  Doing these 3 together.  Last year we had 4 safeties and 7 CBs on initial 53.  Jenkins, Cisco, Winguard are locks at S.  Campbell and Williams locks at CB.  That makes 5 with 6 open spots left.  Didn't call Herndon a lock but I'd be surprised if not on the team as I think they like his experience.  Still leaves 5 spots.  I think this is a total throw of the darts.  Lots of young guys all fighting for these backup spots.  Both Claybrooks and Thomas have experience, have played, and know the system.  Some young corners (brown and junior) who could still develop.  Johnson is in the most enviable spot since it sounds like he can play S and nickel if need be.  Don't know anything about the other corners we drafted.  A lot of opportunity for whomever flashes.  But do we remove a spot here to keep that 4th RB?  I'll say Johnson is the only one who makes it and the other two on the practice squad.
Washington - Last year kept 5.  Ridley, Kirk, Zay, and Agnew are locks.  Tim Jones made the 53 last year but didn't get a ton of reps.  Other young guys like Austin who are fighting for spot.  Not happy with the overall draft but feeling better about Washington the more I watch.  Definitely an opportunity for him to take a spot if he can bring something unique.  Sounds like he has really good hands and can make big plays.  I'll be optimistic and say he steals a spot.
7th rounders I'll say all practice squad.  Most intrigued with Hodges but not enough room on the offensive line.

so what does that add up to?  8.  Maybe a good thing we kept as many draft picks as we did.  Feels like we are really thin in certain areas.  Should have addressed the defensive line earlier.

Bigsby is a lock. There's no way they'll let the 88th selection at his position fall off the roster and chance it on the PS with him. Etienne is an obvious lock. I see Bigsby getting the nod as the 2nd back. Johnson, Hasty and Connor are duking it out for the 3rd spot.
Connor has no chance to make this roster.

ETN, Bigsby and Johnson are the top dawgs right now but the team does really like Hasty. Connor will be cut in camp.

(05-02-2023, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 08:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Bigsby is a lock. There's no way they'll let the 88th selection at his position fall off the roster and chance it on the PS with him. Etienne is an obvious lock. I see Bigsby getting the nod as the 2nd back. Johnson, Hasty and Connor are duking it out for the 3rd spot.
Connor has no chance to make this roster.

ETN, Bigsby and Johnson are the top dawgs right now but the team does really like Hasty. Connor will be cut in camp.

Agreed. Just pisses me off even more that we traded up to take him in that draft. I was pounding the damn table for Jamaree Salyer out of Georgia. 

Chargers got a good deal there last year with him. Filled in and played good football. He would have been able to play guard and tackle for us last year and easily this year. Just a big waste for the team.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2023, 05:24 PM by JagFanatic24.)

I think guys like Washington and Bigsby make Agnew expendable. 

Agnew is by far my favorite player on the team other than Lawrence. When you see him warm up in person you can see with your eyes that he’s on another level when it comes to get up and go. This dude has sudden speed, like in 2 steps he’s on top flight, peak, speed. All I could do was stare at his sudden movements compared to his background. I hope he makes the team, but guys like Washington and Bigsby could use up his roster spot. Not to mention Swag gives us a spark on offense like he did in that Baltimore game. 

I also think Abdullah is a lock. Having an Edge rusher on your team that runs a 4.4 is crazy. 

Lacey would have to mess up pretty bad not be a lock.

Johnson is going to need a strong showing bc of Dewey. Dewey is also a 4 core guy and made some a few big plays in last years playoffs run. Trent says Johnson is a box safety so all of this nickel talk will come down to Herndon, Braswell, Brown, etc. Herndon is also a backup CB to both sides and offers experience with a cheap contract.

Guys like Agnew, Tim Jones, Herndon, Johnson, Winguard, Farrell, Hodges, Hallet, Braswell, Miller, and possibly Muma are all bubble guys. Depending on how one or the other performs. Also Gostis

(05-02-2023, 05:24 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

Bigsby - ...

I think guys like Washington and Bigsby make Agnew expendable. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

You out yo damn mind, son

Agnew is very unique. He’s NOT expendable.

Johnson will make the team.

(05-02-2023, 12:38 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Connor has no chance to make this roster.

Agreed. Just pisses me off even more that we traded up to take him in that draft. I was pounding the damn table for Jamaree Salyer out of Georgia. 

Chargers got a good deal there last year with him. Filled in and played good football. He would have been able to play guard and tackle for us last year and easily this year. Just a big waste for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

The cap giveth....  the cap taketh away