Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars first downs

Only 4 players in Jaguars history have ever gained 50 or more ‘receiving’ first downs.

Smith, McCardell, Robinson, Kirk.

Additional stat nerd stuff: 

Smith did it 9 times, McCardell did it 5 times, Robinson did it 2 times, and Kirk now has 1.

Smith had a monsterous 86 receiving first downs in 1999, which is the team record. 

Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew hold the team record with 93 total first downs. 

Kyle Brady holds the Tight End team record for receiving first downs with 39 which he did in 2000. Lewis had the 2nd most with 37 in 2010. Engram had 33 in 2022.

Fred Taylor holds the team record for most rushing first downs in a single season with 77 in 2003.

Smith and McCardell are still the only 2 receivers to gain 50 or more ‘receiving’ first downs in a single season. They did it 5 times.

Zay Jones was 6 first downs away from making it happen, he had 44 in 2022, which is the same amount McCardell had in 1998. Also in 1998 Smith had 50, which means Jones and Kirk combined had 2 more. Pretty good company to be in right there..

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 09:02 AM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

Yeah the offense is starting to become something special like it was in 98 and 99.
I wish more stat nerds paid attention to first downs.
First downs should be the main stat in fantasy football. A nine yard completion on 3rd and 10 should count for 0 points in fantasy football. A 2 yard catch on 3rd and 1 should count as a point.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Now I know why Reggie would celebrate for every 1st down catch.

(05-13-2023, 09:18 PM)icey14 Wrote: Now I know why Reggie would celebrate for every 1st down catch.

Great stat.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2023, 11:21 PM by Jag149.)

Nerd stats rule !
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Kinda sorta relevant. It's a good watch. 

https://youtu.be/BCDGFBx0SE0

(05-14-2023, 10:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Kinda sorta relevant. It's a good watch. 

Nice breakdown, really nice.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(05-13-2023, 09:15 PM)mikesez Wrote: Yeah the offense is starting to become something special like it was in 98 and 99. 
I wish more stat needs paid attention to first downs.
First downs should be the main stat in fantasy football.  A nine yard completion on 3rd and 10 should count for 0 points in fantasy football.  A 2 yard catch on 3rd and 1 should count as a point.

This is a great idea.

(05-14-2023, 10:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Kinda sorta relevant. It's a good watch. 

I felt like a lot of our running plays were designed around our lack of power up front last year. Getting guys isolated, misdirected, etc. to create wiggle room for our guys. With Strange being added as the H-Back this year with potentially Parish making the roster as our FB. We'll have more balance to not only do some of these same concepts from last year but also create some power formation looks similar to what the 49ers and Ravens like to do. 

The best part, and, really, the most exciting part for me there personally is that picking-up 2-3 yards in short yardage situations to get the 1st down should become easier this year out of actual power runs but it's also going to set the stage for Lawrence to truly thrive as a play action passer. I think we're going to see a lot more deep stuff this year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

First downs has always been something I like to keep an eye on.
It is an important stat - especially when analyzed situationally.
(key drive extensions vital to outcome)

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 11:17 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-13-2023, 07:59 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Only 4 3 players in Jaguars history have ever gained 50 or more ‘receiving’ first downs.

Fixed.   If you recall, we no longer recognize McCardell on our record books due to his disloyalty to the team, which was demonstrated when he left for the Bucs.

(05-13-2023, 09:15 PM)mikesez Wrote: First downs should be the main stat in fantasy football.  A nine yard completion on 3rd and 10 should count for 0 points in fantasy football.  A 2 yard catch on 3rd and 1 should count as a point.

What about a 9 yard completion from the opponents 45 yard line which puts the team into field goal position with 2 seconds left in the half or better yet, to win the game?

What if the 2 yard catch on 3rd and 1 is done at the teams own 34 yard line with 10 seconds left in the game the clock runs out before they can get off another play?

(05-15-2023, 11:12 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-13-2023, 09:15 PM)mikesez Wrote: First downs should be the main stat in fantasy football.  A nine yard completion on 3rd and 10 should count for 0 points in fantasy football.  A 2 yard catch on 3rd and 1 should count as a point.

What about a 9 yard completion from the opponents 45 yard line which puts the team into field goal position with 2 seconds left in the half or better yet, to win the game?

What if the 2 yard catch on 3rd and 1 is done at the teams own 34 yard line with 10 seconds left in the game the clock runs out before they can get off another play?

It's fantasy football. Overall performance doesn't matter, individual stats do.

What if the WR throws a fantastic block to let the RB gain 7 yards on 3rd and 5? Or runs a perfect crossing route to muddle up the defenders and the TE gets the yards instead? The WR fantasy owner is left with nothing, and that will not stand.

we need all the points, all the time.

Can't wait till gamblekings.com allows wagers on FF league matchups. I may not be able to darft a team well, but that guy in Jersey that spends 37 hours a week tuning his roster is the guy that's gonna put my kids through college.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 04:23 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-15-2023, 11:12 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-13-2023, 07:59 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Only 4 3 players in Jaguars history have ever gained 50 or more ‘receiving’ first downs.

Fixed.   If you recall, we no longer recognize McCardell on our record books due to his disloyalty to the team, which was demonstrated when he left for the Bucs.

Those kinds of stats require game simulations.  "That catch increased his team's chances of winning by 20 percentage points".  It's interesting, but if you have a team that's blowing out most of its opponents, you'll have one or two big break plays like that at the beginning of each game then no more.  "That late TD reception increased his team's chances of winning from 98% to 99%."  So if you played that way you'd have to pick players on teams with bad and unreliable defenses.

(05-15-2023, 04:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-15-2023, 11:12 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Fixed.   If you recall, we no longer recognize McCardell on our record books due to his disloyalty to the team, which was demonstrated when he left for the Bucs.

Those kinds of stats require game simulations.  "That catch increased his team's chances of winning by 20 percentage points".  It's interesting, but if you have a team that's blowing out most of its opponents, you'll have one or two big break plays like that at the beginning of each game then no more.  "That late TD reception increased his team's chances of winning from 98% to 99%."  So if you played that way you'd have to pick players on teams with bad and unreliable defenses.

We need FFL points based on some comprehensive algorisms such at if a QB is down 30 points and throws a TD pass, it's only 2 points whereas if he throws a late 4th Qtr. TD to take the lead, he's awarded 8 points.   Let's make it so complex that nobody knows how the points are tallied except for MIT grads.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 08:41 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-15-2023, 06:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-15-2023, 04:11 PM)mikesez Wrote: Those kinds of stats require game simulations.  "That catch increased his team's chances of winning by 20 percentage points".  It's interesting, but if you have a team that's blowing out most of its opponents, you'll have one or two big break plays like that at the beginning of each game then no more.  "That late TD reception increased his team's chances of winning from 98% to 99%."  So if you played that way you'd have to pick players on teams with bad and unreliable defenses.

We need FFL points based on some comprehensive algorisms such at if a QB is down 30 points and throws a TD pass, it's only 2 points whereas if he throws a late 4th Qtr. TD to take the lead, he's awarded 8 points.   Let's make it so complex that nobody knows how the points are tallied except for MIT grads.

We could call it the 2015 Bortles rule.

But seriously, if you found a way to implement a "no garbage time" rule, it would take a lot of the fun out of FFL. Instead of finding gems on bad teams, you would just pick players on teams everyone already knows are good.