Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Select response that best describes your position
I just want the Jags to stay in Jax long term. I support any solution that solves that issue.
I don't care if they are the Jax Jags, the London Jags, or relocate to Oklahoma City. I'll fan from afar all the same.
I'd like to see something fair happen for local taxpayers that keeps the team in place post construction.
I'd like to see something fair happen for local taxpayers that keeps the team in place during construction and post construction.
I hope they have to play in a nearby city for two years so they'll be closer to me
They'll figure it out. Not concerned.
Blank #2
Corn
[Show Results]

New Stadium Poll (Out Of Area Fans)

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2023, 10:10 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-04-2023, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 09:40 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Where do these numbers come from?  

Half a percent tax bump on sales of what?  What is the projected revenue increase?

The team, its footprint and associated jobs are already here.  Are you suggesting the franchise currently generates 100,000 jobs?

They are league average numbers accumulated by a comprehensive report on NFL franchises in American cities. 
(USA Today) 
Yes, 110,000 jobs was the actual average number of jobs generated by a franchise. Obviously, some of those are seasonal. 
I don't know the actual number of jobs generated by the Jags, but I'd rather those jobs not disappear from our market. 

The .5 cent local sales tax thing has been a discussion around stadium proposals in Jax for years and gets tossed around every time this comes up. A local politician initially proposed it years ago. You'd have to ask him about projections.

Well first off until the cost of the stadium or "vision" is made public how to cover that cost is a waste of time.

Here is the link to the USA article. I don't read the 110,000 jobs as an average rather across all the NFL cities. So by simple division, about 3400 jobs here in Jax. The vast majority of which are seasonal.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/...onomy.html
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-04-2023, 10:01 AM)Jag149 Wrote: https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/...onomy.html

Not direct jobs, the footprint of the team on a city.  

I lived in Jax through the 90s, I would support tax breaks for the team, but no new sales tax. Let them sell bonds, or bring in investors, not tax the citizens. 
(06-04-2023, 10:01 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Here is the link to the USA article. I don't read the 110,000 jobs as an average rather across all the NFL cities. So by simple division, about 3400 jobs here in Jax. The vast majority of which are seasonal.

(06-04-2023, 10:01 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Here is the link to the USA article. I don't read the 110,000 jobs as an average rather across all the NFL cities. So by simple division, about 3400 jobs here in Jax. The vast majority of which are seasonal.

(06-04-2023, 10:01 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: They are league average numbers accumulated by a comprehensive report on NFL franchises in American cities. 
(USA Today) 
Yes, 110,000 jobs was the actual average number of jobs generated by a franchise. Obviously, some of those are seasonal. 
I don't know the actual number of jobs generated by the Jags, but I'd rather those jobs not disappear from our market. 

The .5 cent local sales tax thing has been a discussion around stadium proposals in Jax for years and gets tossed around every time this comes up. A local politician initially proposed it years ago. You'd have to ask him about projections.

Well first off until the cost of the stadium or "vision" is made public how to cover that cost is a waste of time.

Here is the link to the USA article. I don't read the 110,000 jobs as an average rather across all the NFL cities. So by simple division, about 3400 jobs here in Jax. The vast majority of which are seasonal.

Different article, not what I read, but the number makes more sense. Must have been worded awkwardly in the one I saw. They def made it seem like an avg, which I thought was really high. 
Thanks.

Nonetheless - we know the impact on the city is positive, and getting a stadium Doen that will have more positive impact for the next two decades just makes way too much sense.

(06-04-2023, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 10:01 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Well first off until the cost of the stadium or "vision" is made public how to cover that cost is a waste of time.

Different article, not what I read, but the number makes more sense. Must have been worded awkwardly in the one I saw. They def made it seem like an avg, which I thought was really high. 
Thanks.

Nonetheless - we know the impact on the city is positive, and getting a stadium Doen that will have more positive impact for the next two decades just makes way too much sense.

I agree with this.

It may not be the same article, but the information was from the same source. 

If we are looking for 100,000 jobs due to the Jags or a positive ROI on our public investment we are going to be disappointed. That has yet to happen anywhere ever. I know it is touted but just in studies funded by the teams wanting the public money. (it is amazing those studies have secret sources or will not allow review by neutral parties)  It will be a cost, one I am in favor of,  I think of it as an investment in the local culture and a good thing.  At the end of the day it is a cost. 

It is interesting to note this project is referred to as a vision of that portion of Jacksonville not a new stadium.  That is not a bad thing as that is a long neglected portion of the city. Make no mistake, the vision will be engineered to capture additional revenue streams currently enjoyed by local businesses for the NFL.  We wait until the plan is revealed.

The Jags pro shop is 25% off store wide with promo code DOWN, lets make them some money.

The CJ Bethard Jersey is only $129

https://shop.jaguars.com/mens-nike-cj-be...-r2c1:po-7

(06-05-2023, 12:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The CJ Bethard Jersey is only $129

https://shop.jaguars.com/mens-nike-cj-be...-r2c1:po-7

ONLY. LOL.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-04-2023, 10:32 AM)H8tank Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 10:01 AM)Jag149 Wrote: https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/...onomy.html

Not direct jobs, the footprint of the team on a city.  

I lived in Jax through the 90s, I would support tax breaks for the team, but no new sales tax. Let them sell bonds, or bring in investors, not tax the citizens. 

Or even better, use some of the tax money that they already get and use that towards the stadium. Or set up a go fund me type page and allow people to donate. Don't put more taxes on the people.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(06-05-2023, 06:15 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 10:32 AM)H8tank Wrote: Not direct jobs, the footprint of the team on a city.  

Or even better, use some of the tax money that they already get and use that towards the stadium. Or set up a go fund me type page and allow people to donate. Don't put more taxes on the people.

I don’t think it’s possible to just move some things around/ cut here and there. We are talking about a half a billion dollars (or at least on that scale). The entire budget for the city is ~1.4 billion.

Unless you are willing to make incredibly deep/ damaging cuts, you can’t finance the stadium with the current tax income.

Can you please provide an actual strategy alternative beyond “tax bad, me no want tax, still want football.”

The Better Jacksonville Plan, funded about 20 years ago, raised the (gas?) tax for a penny. From that came a 14,000 seat arena, an 11,000 seat baseball stadium, and a new Equestran Center.

The public’s portion of the stadium might not come to a billion+ dollars. Buffalo is breaking ground on a new stadium tomorrow. The state of N.Y. is contributing 500 million, the NFL is kicking in another 200 million, and the Bills are paying for the rest.

(06-05-2023, 07:55 PM)GaJag Wrote: The Better Jacksonville Plan, funded about 20 years ago, raised the (gas?) tax for a penny. From that came a 14,000 seat arena, an 11,000 seat baseball stadium, and a new Equestran Center.

The public’s portion of the stadium might not come to a billion+ dollars. Buffalo is breaking ground on a new stadium tomorrow.  The state of N.Y. is contributing 500 million, the NFL is kicking in another 200 million, and the Bills are paying for the rest.

You forgot to mention "Personal Seat Licenses"

(06-05-2023, 06:15 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 10:32 AM)H8tank Wrote: Not direct jobs, the footprint of the team on a city.  

...at what point does posting the exact same thing to the exact same thread become spam? Bring something new to the discussion, or just refer us to the first time you blathered on about this.