Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Riley Patterson Waived to Sign McManus (K)

(05-25-2023, 05:56 PM)MojoKing Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [Image: baalke1111.png]

settle down its for a 2026 7th Rounder... 

@we should fire everyone in the FO.@

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-25-2023, 05:56 PM)MojoKing Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 05:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [Image: baalke1111.png]

settle down its for a 2026 7th Rounder... 

It's a joke, pal

I'm still scratching my head about some of Baalke's moves in the draft and I'm salty we couldn't package picks to move back up

Nonetheless, he has made the clown brigade look pretty silly. Dude is clearly not incompetent. And that was the claim  from that rabble of fans.

In 2022, McManus made:

15 of 18 FG on the road
13 of 18 at home

2022 distance:

6 of 7 from 29 yds or less
4 of 6 from 30-39 yards
10 of 10 from 40-49 yards
8 of 13 from 50+

(05-26-2023, 09:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: In 2022, McManus made:

15 of 18 FG on the road
13 of 18 at home

2022 distance:

4 of 6 from 30-39 yards
8 of 13 from 50+

I see this as almost a lateral move for us, Riley was better from inside 40yds, 18 of 19 - while McManus was 10 of 13 from inside 40yds (I think inside 40yds should be automatic, not sure I like our new kicker missing 3 of those kicks last year).  Riley had a slightly better % from 50+ making 2 of 3, although we know McManus has the stronger leg and Doug didn't seem to have faith in Riley attempting long FGs.  I'm not sure the impact the new kickoff rules will have this season - would Riley kicking off to the 10 or 15 yard line end up being a fair catch and starting at the 25? Would that balance out the fact that McManus can drive the ball to the back of the end zone on kickoffs?  Guess we'll see....

(05-26-2023, 11:31 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 09:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: In 2022, McManus made:

15 of 18 FG on the road
13 of 18 at home

2022 distance:

4 of 6 from 30-39 yards
8 of 13 from 50+

I see this as almost a lateral move for us, Riley was better from inside 40yds, 18 of 19 - while McManus was 10 of 13 from inside 40yds (I think inside 40yds should be automatic, not sure I like our new kicker missing 3 of those kicks last year).  Riley had a slightly better % from 50+ making 2 of 3, although we know McManus has the stronger leg and Doug didn't seem to have faith in Riley attempting long FGs.  I'm not sure the impact the new kickoff rules will have this season - would Riley kicking off to the 10 or 15 yard line end up being a fair catch and starting at the 25? Would that balance out the fact that McManus can drive the ball to the back of the end zone on kickoffs?  Guess we'll see....

How can you say a move that makes sure Logan Cooke never kicks off for us again is lateral?    If anything it lets Logan focus on punts only, while our kicker take every kickoff and tries to boom the ball out of the end zone every time.   I recently rewatched the Ratbird game...remember our final kickoff?   Fortunately they came up 5 yards short on the game winning field goal.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(05-26-2023, 01:07 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 11:31 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote: I see this as almost a lateral move for us, Riley was better from inside 40yds, 18 of 19 - while McManus was 10 of 13 from inside 40yds (I think inside 40yds should be automatic, not sure I like our new kicker missing 3 of those kicks last year).  Riley had a slightly better % from 50+ making 2 of 3, although we know McManus has the stronger leg and Doug didn't seem to have faith in Riley attempting long FGs.  I'm not sure the impact the new kickoff rules will have this season - would Riley kicking off to the 10 or 15 yard line end up being a fair catch and starting at the 25? Would that balance out the fact that McManus can drive the ball to the back of the end zone on kickoffs?  Guess we'll see....

How can you say a move that makes sure Logan Cooke never kicks off for us again is lateral?    If anything it lets Logan focus on punts only, while our kicker take every kickoff and tries to boom the ball out of the end zone every time.   I recently rewatched the Ratbird game...remember our final kickoff?   Fortunately they came up 5 yards short on the game winning field goal.

Despite his field goal, percentage, Riley Patterson was a liability in the kickoff game

It almost bit us in the butt in two or three games if I recall correctly

I think our new special teams coordinator values this more than most casual fans

(05-26-2023, 01:07 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 11:31 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote: I see this as almost a lateral move for us, Riley was better from inside 40yds, 18 of 19 - while McManus was 10 of 13 from inside 40yds (I think inside 40yds should be automatic, not sure I like our new kicker missing 3 of those kicks last year).  Riley had a slightly better % from 50+ making 2 of 3, although we know McManus has the stronger leg and Doug didn't seem to have faith in Riley attempting long FGs.  I'm not sure the impact the new kickoff rules will have this season - would Riley kicking off to the 10 or 15 yard line end up being a fair catch and starting at the 25? Would that balance out the fact that McManus can drive the ball to the back of the end zone on kickoffs?  Guess we'll see....

First. I said I see it as almost a lateral move.

Second - if you had bothered to read my entire post, you'd see where I question the impact of the new kickoff rules.  A high kickoff to the 10yd line might end up being more likely to be a fair catch in the upcoming season than to be returned, possibly resulting in more touchbacks for kickers that don't have the leg strength that McManus has.

Third - Logan Cooke kicked off one time last year. One Time. Even if Cooke had to handle kick off duties, I'm not convinced that would not allow him to focus on his punting lol. Also, in his 5 years in the league Cooke has kicked off 114 times resulting in 55 touchbacks (48%).  Riley kicked off 88 times last season resulting in 44 touchbacks (50%). 

For comparison, McManus had a touchback percentage of 70% last season, so yes that will definitely be an upgrade for us - depending on the impact of the new rule.  As with most kickers with big legs, I think we may lose a just a little accuracy on the shorter kicks but will gain the ability to hit longer FGs probably than we have ever been able to.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2023, 03:34 PM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-26-2023, 01:47 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 01:07 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: How can you say a move that makes sure Logan Cooke never kicks off for us again is lateral?    If anything it lets Logan focus on punts only, while our kicker take every kickoff and tries to boom the ball out of the end zone every time.   I recently rewatched the Ratbird game...remember our final kickoff?   Fortunately they came up 5 yards short on the game winning field goal.

Second - if you had bothered to read my entire post, you'd see where I question the impact of the new kickoff rules.  A high kickoff to the 10yd line might end up being more likely to be a fair catch in the upcoming season than to be returned, possibly resulting in more touchbacks for kickers that don't have the leg strength that McManus has.

Third - Logan Cooke kicked off one time last year. One Time. Even if Cooke had to handle kick off duties, I'm not convinced that would not allow him to focus on his punting lol. Also, in his 5 years in the league Cooke has kicked off 114 times resulting in 55 touchbacks (48%).  Riley kicked off 88 times last season resulting in 44 touchbacks (50%). 

For comparison, McManus had a touchback percentage of 70% last season, so yes that will definitely be an upgrade for us - depending on the impact of the new rule.  As with most kickers with big legs, I think we may lose a just a little accuracy on the shorter kicks but will gain the ability to hit longer FGs probably than we have ever been able to.

You have valid points.   My only disagreement is with the # of kickoffs Logan did last year.     Wasn't there one game where he kicked off and the ball went out for a penalty...TWICE?   I know pro football reference says he kicked off only once last year, but that's not correct.   I've seen every win twice and I'm sure he kicked off at least twice.

Also...Logan Cooke has kicked off 114 times in his career?????? That also doesn't sound right. Maybe that's a PUNT total, but unless he was the Jags sole kicker for 5 years how did he get 114 attempts?
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

Wasn't considering the new kick off rules, makes much more sense now. They wanted a guy with a boom stick of a leg.

(05-26-2023, 01:47 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 01:07 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: How can you say a move that makes sure Logan Cooke never kicks off for us again is lateral?    If anything it lets Logan focus on punts only, while our kicker take every kickoff and tries to boom the ball out of the end zone every time.   I recently rewatched the Ratbird game...remember our final kickoff?   Fortunately they came up 5 yards short on the game winning field goal.

Well said. I also had the same outlook with it being a lateral move. And yes Patterson was more accurate inside the 40.

The second thought I had was I wonder if Patterson has some type of injury or something off the field going on, which led to the Jaguars signing McManus. 

Fun Fact: Only 2 kickers in Jaguars history has made more field goals in a single season than Riley Patterson. Lambo made 33 in 2019 and Hollis made 31 in ‘97 and ‘99. Patterson made 30 in 2022. Hollis also made 30 in ‘96.  

Another Fun Fact: Since the NFL moved the extra point back in 2015, Riley Patterson is now the most accurate kicker for PAT’s in a single season with 97.3%, while Jason Myers is the least accurate PAT kicker with 7 misses in 2015 with 82.1%

Here are some more McManus vs Patterson comparisons.

McManus career  FG% is 81.4
Patterson career FG% is 89.3 

2022 McManus FG% is 77.8 - ranked 34th
2022 Patterson FG% is 85.7 - ranked 21st

2022 McManus KO Avg = 62.7
2022 Patterson KO Avg = 62.4

2022 McManus KO yards = 4480
2022 Patterson KO yards = 5492, which is 2nd in team history in a single season. Lindsey had 5708 in 1999. 

2022 McManus from 50+yards = 61.5%
2022 Patterson from 50+yards = 66.7%

2022 McManus touchbacks = 51
2022 Patterson touchbacks = 44
* McManus played a mile higher *for the lolz 

2022 McManus scored 109 points
2022 Patterson scored 126 points

2022 McManus made 28 FG
2022 Patterson made 30 FG

2022 McManus had 2 FG blocked
2022 Patterson had 0 FG blocked

2022 McManus was 0/2 from 60
2022 Patterson was 0/0 from 60

(05-26-2023, 08:22 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Wasn't considering the new kick off rules, makes much more sense now. They wanted a guy with a boom stick of a leg.

The nfl needs to stop messing up the game.

(05-26-2023, 08:22 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Wasn't considering the new kick off rules, makes much more sense now. They wanted a guy with a boom stick of a leg.
Did Patterson really have a problem kicking it to the endzone? I don't think that problem existed. The issue was he couldn't do what the Jags wanted to do which is kick it high enough to pin them inside the 20 yard line.

A kicker who can make a 50 yarder off the ground can kick a kickoff into the endzone.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(05-27-2023, 01:53 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
Did Patterson really have a problem kicking it to the endzone? I don't think that problem existed. The issue was he couldn't do what the Jags wanted to do which is kick it high enough to pin them inside the 20 yard line.

A kicker who can make a 50 yarder off the ground can kick a kickoff into the endzone.

Yes.

It was a problem

He ranked 28th in the league in touchback percentage

He left it woefully short late in at least three games last year giving the opponent an advantage we could have avoided

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/ki...chback-pct

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2023, 10:24 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(05-27-2023, 01:53 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

Patterson needed to be replaced at some point, he dosen't have a big leg. I think he's better suited at being a guy you call up off the street when you're guy gets injured. he's PRETTY accurate, but he struggles massively with kicks over 50 yards.

He's like the literal opposite of Jason Meyers.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2023, 12:21 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 5 times in total.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbOFF8SMlXQ[url=https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/015b575d-e140-4135-80f7-6cc7c09799c9][/url]

“So long fried rice, hello fried chicken”

We now have a +19.9% boost in touchback percentage, but we got nerfed in field goal percentage by -7.9%

*based on 2022

(05-28-2023, 01:17 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: We now have a +19.9% boost in touchback percentage, but we got nerfed in field goal percentage by -7.9%

*based on 2022
It’s always good to have context when you just throw out stats.

Fact. McManus has missed 5 kicks in the last 3 years from under 50 yards. His field goal percentage is always skewed because he attempts a lot of 50+ yard field goals including 60+ sometimes.

(05-28-2023, 07:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-28-2023, 01:17 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: We now have a +19.9% boost in touchback percentage, but we got nerfed in field goal percentage by -7.9%

*based on 2022

Fact. McManus has missed 5 kicks in the last 3 years from under 50 yards. His field goal percentage is always skewed because he attempts a lot of 50+ yard field goals including 60+ sometimes.

Yep, he both made more and missed more 50+ kicks than Patterson attempted. Patterson was a better Wright, McManus is a better Patterson. I like the move barring some type of significant decline last year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Has a bigger leg than Pat. I like that we found a way to trade him instead of just dumping him. Accuracy might be a little shaky, hope he doesn't cost us games.

(05-28-2023, 07:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

*based on 2022

Another fact: He missed both 60 yarders. Stronger leg, less accurate FG kicker based on 2022.