Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Hunt Episode 2

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2023, 12:26 PM by Caldrac.)

(05-26-2023, 12:13 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Another thing that stood out is the guy we were trying to trade up for was Miller and we got him anyway.  Another thing is Baalke said they were looking at defense in the 2nd but had to change things up, I wonder if we were going to take DJ Turner and when we traded back we lost him being Cincy took him.  I think it's also possible they were looking at Cam Smith or Stevenson and they went right before our pick so they traded back

I’m almost positive the defensive guy that they wanted in the 2nd round was Keion White.

I agree with this. He was apart of the pre draft process and I think they liked him a lot due to his size and versatility. He would have been a good scheme fit here. New England got a good football player.

(05-26-2023, 11:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 10:52 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:  Why are you so angry my brother because I don't see nothing wrong with what he asked you?  I'm asking you out of respect so please don't have the same anger towards me.

Not angry

I joke with him and other gator homers light-heartedly frequently because the gators suck.
Big Grin

But also - speaking of a college team in a pro forum with possessive pronouns is weak - even if I'm just kidding about it. 

I'm also not angry about the LB pick, but I would have tried hard to find an immediate impact player at that stage of the draft.

The only logical explanation for the selection of Miller at LB is that they're just being prepared ahead of time with the eventual reality of not being able to keep Oluokon and it's probably even a safer bet that maybe they're not convinced Lloyd is the guy inside and they might need to get him back outside this year. 

That still leaves Muma inside. I would think that's what we'll see this summer. Lloyd at weakside/strongside. Oluokon and Muma inside with Miller eventually rotating in and out when/if needed. My main focus in year one and next year though is going to be Nick Herbig with the Steelers. 

If he makes their roster and succeeds I'll be a little bummed we missed out on taking him. I really liked his tape out of Wisconsin as an edge rusher. I think it would be cool as hell having him and Abdullah running around this year out there as edge rushers.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This was really interesting and insightful regarding Baalke's draft day philosophy. My totally subjective feelings regarding the draft are:

1. Baalke's best moment was in round 1 when he got his guy and was able to accumulate 3 extra picks. Harrison was a good value pick who met an important need. There was a big gap between him and whoever was the next tackle on their board.

2. My main criticism of the draft was the failure to select a nickel who could be an upgrade over Herndon. Regardless of what Baalke said about teams refusing to deal with him for a trade-up, there had to be several opportunities in rounds 2-4 where this could have been accomplished- even if they had to give up a little more desired. Anyone of Branch, Turner and Phillips would have been excellent choices. Even if moving up for Branch would have proved too costly, Phillips was still available at the top of round 4. He obviously dropped due to some physical limitations, but I'll be very surprised if he doesn't become a long-term starter at nickel due to his excellent instincts and playmaking ability. Braswell and Hallett may eventually become capable nickels, but it's very unlikely to happen this season. Antonio Johnson is not a nickel, but he was probably the best value pick- especially if he can cover tight ends and replace Jenkins in 2024 at safety.

3. The pass rush is still a concern since the only true pass rusher they selected was Abdullah. Unless he is an outlier like Elvis Dumervill due to size limitations, it is unrealistic that he can be counted on to provide a consistent pass rush. I am less worried about this position than nickel for a couple reasons. Most importantly, I expect Caldwell to make much better use of players like Walker and Llloyd now that he has had a year to grow into the coordinator role combined with the growth expected of players going into year 2. With that being said, the signing of a veteran free agent is critical. I expect a run on these soon since Golden just signed a deal with the Steelers. Baalke needs to decide whether Floyd, Yannick, Houston or Clark could make a big difference. Houston seems the most attainable since they could get him on a one year deal at a reasonable price. If he fails to sign any of these players, I believe he will come to regret it.

4. Finally, the selections of Strange and Bigsby have really grown on me. Both are capable of becoming very good NFL players. Being a Penn State alumnus, I saw all of Strange's games and he was very underrated. He will be a great complement to Engram. Bigsby should not get as many snaps to begin, but he has the capability of being a very productive 3 down back if Etienne misses any time. I doubt they would have signed De'Ernest Johnson if they knew they'd draft Bigsby, but having a strong staple of backs can come in very handy- especially late in the season.

(05-26-2023, 02:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This was really interesting and insightful regarding Baalke's draft day philosophy. My totally subjective feelings regarding the draft are:

1. Baalke's best moment was in round 1 when he got his guy and was able to accumulate 3 extra picks. Harrison was a good value pick who met an important need. There was a big gap between him and whoever was the next tackle on their board.

2. My main criticism of the draft was the failure to select a nickel who could be an upgrade over Herndon. Regardless of what Baalke said about teams refusing to deal with him for a trade-up, there had to be several opportunities in rounds 2-4 where this could have been accomplished- even if they had to give up a little more desired. Anyone of Branch, Turner and Phillips would have been excellent choices. Even if moving up for Branch would have proved too costly, Phillips was still available at the top of round 4. He obviously dropped due to some physical limitations, but I'll be very surprised if he doesn't become a long-term starter at nickel due to his excellent instincts and playmaking ability. Braswell and Hallett may eventually become capable nickels, but it's very unlikely to happen this season. Antonio Johnson is not a nickel, but he was probably the best value pick- especially if he can cover tight ends and replace Jenkins in 2024 at safety.

3. The pass rush is still a concern since the only true pass rusher they selected was Abdullah. Unless he is an outlier like Elvis Dumervill due to size limitations, it is unrealistic that he can be counted on to provide a consistent pass rush. I am less worried about this position than nickel for a couple reasons. Most importantly, I expect Caldwell to make much better use of players like Walker and Llloyd now that he has had a year to grow into the coordinator role combined with the growth expected of players going into year 2. With that being said, the signing of a veteran free agent is critical. I expect a run on these soon since Golden just signed a deal with the Steelers. Baalke needs to decide whether Floyd, Yannick, Houston or Clark could make a big difference. Houston seems the most attainable since they could get him on a one year deal at a reasonable price. If he fails to sign any of these players, I believe he will come to regret it.

4. Finally, the selections of Strange and Bigsby have really grown on me. Both are capable of becoming very good NFL players. Being a Penn State alumnus, I saw all of Strange's games and he was very underrated. He will be a great complement to Engram. Bigsby should not get as many snaps to begin, but he has the capability of being a very productive 3 down back if Etienne misses any time. I doubt they would have signed De'Ernest Johnson if they knew they'd draft Bigsby, but having a strong staple of backs can come in very handy- especially late in the season.

They haven't really committed to De'Ernest.  He only got $50k guaranteed meaning he is very much on the bubble to even make the roster.  His signing was one that gave them flexibility to go another direction if the board didn't fall the way it did for them in landing Tank.  We'll see how it plays out, but I think if he's here come week 1 we've probably suffered an injury at RB in the pre-season.

(05-26-2023, 11:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 10:52 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:  Why are you so angry my brother because I don't see nothing wrong with what he asked you?  I'm asking you out of respect so please don't have the same anger towards me.

Not angry

I joke with him and other gator homers light-heartedly frequently because the gators suck.
Big Grin

But also - speaking of a college team in a pro forum with possessive pronouns is weak - even if I'm just kidding about it. 

I'm also not angry about the LB pick, but I would have tried hard to find an immediate impact player at that stage of the draft.

OKI just wanted to make sure you was good because we all  Jacksonville jaguar fans at the end of the day.
[Image: giphy.gif]

I do love these videos. The media team does a great job. Was good to see some insights with regards to the draft day process. One thing is for sure, they all really wanted Harrison.

(05-26-2023, 03:16 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 02:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This was really interesting and insightful regarding Baalke's draft day philosophy. My totally subjective feelings regarding the draft are:

They haven't really committed to De'Ernest.  He only got $50k guaranteed meaning he is very much on the bubble to even make the roster.  His signing was one that gave them flexibility to go another direction if the board didn't fall the way it did for them in landing Tank.  We'll see how it plays out, but I think if he's here come week 1 we've probably suffered an injury at RB in the pre-season.
That's a good point. I didn't realize the guaranteed amount was so low. I actually liked the signing and would prefer him over Snoop if they keep 4 backs.

I enjoy the series. I also have to note that Dewey always seems to say the right thing.

(05-26-2023, 03:49 PM)Ordar Wrote: I do love these videos. The media team does a great job. Was good to see some insights with regards to the draft day process. One thing is for sure, they all really wanted Harrison.

Absolutely.

Outstanding production as per usual

As far as Billionaires go, it looks as if we have the most approachable Owner in the league