Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

(03-07-2024, 01:19 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 10:50 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The wife and I just watched a movie on Prime called A Million Miles Away.. The true story about that migrant farm worker that became an astronaut.

Great movie!!

This was a really good movie.  It didn't really have the bells and whistles of new movies but it had a great storyline with good characters that one really roots for.

I'm a sucker for true stories.. But this one was awesome.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-07-2024, 12:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A cheap production but still funny. Me and the wife watched this many moons ago and enjoyed it. 

https://youtu.be/hvgFqdqPIuE?si=dU7x2nH76zLYrcDC

That's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.  When he winched his car out of the river, I thought I would die laughing.  That was so funny.

(03-08-2024, 08:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 12:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A cheap production but still funny. Me and the wife watched this many moons ago and enjoyed it. 

That's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.  When he winched his car out of the river, I thought I would die laughing.  That was so funny.

That is funny. The scene where he has to manage opening and closing a gate while his vehicle, with no parking brake, rolls back and forth on an incline is hilarious.

I remember watching that when I was a kid. I might have to watch it again. I'm sure I'd understand more of it now than I did back then. My husband would like it for sure.

We watched "Poor Things" last night. It's a very good movie. I give it very high marks for originality. It was nominated for 11 Academy Awards, and won 4 last night, including best actress. It's about a young woman in Victorian London who is brought back to life via a brain transplant from a baby, and then she has to discover what life and the world are all about. It's playing on Hulu.

Was there lots of political and moral posturing at the Oscars last night?

(03-11-2024, 09:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Was there lots of political and moral posturing at the Oscars last night?

If you're asking me, I didn't watch it yet.

I saw Dune part 2 at the theater over the weekend. I really enjoyed it and there is a cliff hanger at the end that suggests a part 3. I had to google that when I got home and saw they are in the process of writing part 3 using the Dune: Messiah book as source material but that Dennis Villanueva wants to do another non-Dune movie first which will allow him to also age up the characters as I suppose Dune: Messiah takes place years after the events of these movies so I don't believe we'll see Dune part 3 for at least another 3 to 4 years or more. I've not read the books, so I don't know what happens in Dune: Messiah.

And here we thought a culture of mass shootings was a recent trend.

https://youtu.be/oiSc3xAXX5g?si=72Evp4Jblh08NUo9

If you haven't seen it, I recommend Project Iceman. It's a documentary about a Danish man in his early 20s who decides to do the impossible: complete an Ironman triathlon in Antarctica. Something no one has done or even really attempted to do. 

I don't know what drives people like this but I wasn't born with that particular kind of.....crazy. That's the only word I can think of after watching what this guy went through to make this happen. And he prefers to do hard things, like the more uncomfortable it is the more he's drawn to doing it. I know there are people like is but to see what he was willing to put himself (and his team) through in order to accomplish this is a POV we don't usually get to see but we do here.

Anyway, you can watch it on Apple TV or YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ROQNfVc4BY...Y2VtYW4%3D

(03-11-2024, 01:51 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I saw Dune part 2 at the theater over the weekend.  I really enjoyed it and there is a cliff hanger at the end that suggests a part 3.  I had to google that when I got home and saw they are in the process of writing part 3 using the Dune: Messiah book as source material but that Dennis Villanueva wants to do another non-Dune movie first which will allow him to also age up the characters as I suppose Dune: Messiah takes place years after the events of these movies so I don't believe we'll see Dune part 3 for at least another 3 to 4 years or more.  I've not read the books, so I don't know what happens in Dune: Messiah.

I really enjoyed both Dune movies.
I have read the first three books.  Dune 1 left some stuff out but didn't make changes to what was there.  Dune 2 definitely changed two of the characters almost completely.  But these changes should make what happens in Dune Messiah less of a shock.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Probably one of the most famous scenes in the movies.......... Cool Hand Luke is a great film. IMHO, Paul Newman has always been "The King of Cool"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

(03-25-2024, 01:42 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 01:51 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I saw Dune part 2 at the theater over the weekend.  I really enjoyed it and there is a cliff hanger at the end that suggests a part 3.  I had to google that when I got home and saw they are in the process of writing part 3 using the Dune: Messiah book as source material but that Dennis Villanueva wants to do another non-Dune movie first which will allow him to also age up the characters as I suppose Dune: Messiah takes place years after the events of these movies so I don't believe we'll see Dune part 3 for at least another 3 to 4 years or more.  I've not read the books, so I don't know what happens in Dune: Messiah.

I really enjoyed both Dune movies.
I have read the first three books.  Dune 1 left some stuff out but didn't make changes to what was there.  Dune 2 definitely changed two of the characters almost completely.  But these changes should make what happens in Dune Messiah less of a shock.

I haven't watched Dune.  But from seeing the trailers, they have advanced technology but they fight with swords.  Why don't they use advanced weapons?  Why are they using swords?

(03-27-2024, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 01:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: I really enjoyed both Dune movies.

I haven't watched Dune.  But from seeing the trailers, they have advanced technology but they fight with swords.  Why don't they use advanced weapons?  Why are they using swords?

Part of it is they employ personal force fields that block projectiles, but blades can get through.  Did you not catch the version they did in the 80's with Kyle MacLachlan?

(03-27-2024, 03:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I haven't watched Dune.  But from seeing the trailers, they have advanced technology but they fight with swords.  Why don't they use advanced weapons?  Why are they using swords?

Part of it is they employ personal force fields that block projectiles, but blades can get through.  Did you not catch the version they did in the 80's with Kyle MacLachlan?

I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the movie, but that's kind of ridiculous.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 03:52 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 4 times in total.)

(03-27-2024, 03:39 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 03:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Part of it is they employ personal force fields that block projectiles, but blades can get through.  Did you not catch the version they did in the 80's with Kyle MacLachlan?

I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the movie, but that's kind of ridiculous.

Specifically quoted from the movie "the slow blade penetrates the shield".  So a quickly swung or stabbed blade against someone with a shield up will be blocked by the shield.  I'm all for pointing out stupid in movies, but this just really isn't that big of a deal to me.  There's a scene early in part 1 that explains this. Perhaps you're not into sci-fi much though?

That said, there are projectile weapons and they are effective in combat in the movie. But there are moments of hand to hand combat where they employ blades.

I watched Guy Ritchie's "The Covenant" the other night. Good movie overall. A few instances of what I consider to be bad acting, a few instances of what I consider to be bad writing, but overall a good movie to watch.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 03:56 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-27-2024, 03:46 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 03:39 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the movie, but that's kind of ridiculous.

Specifically quoted from the movie "the slow blade penetrates the shield".  So a quickly swung or stabbed blade against someone with a shield up will be blocked by the shield.  I'm all for pointing out stupid in movies, but this just really isn't that big of a deal to me.  There's a scene early in part 1 that explains this.  Perhaps you're not into sci-fi much though?

That said, there are projectile weapons and they are effective in combat in the movie.  But there are moments of hand to hand combat where they employ blades.

I watched Guy Ritchie's "The Covenant" the other night.  Good movie overall.  A few instances of what I consider to be bad acting, a few instances of what I consider to be bad writing, but overall a good movie to watch.

I do like sci-fi a lot, but when it gets ridiculous, or implausible, I don't go for that.  An advanced civilization would not be fighting with swords.

(03-27-2024, 03:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 03:46 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Specifically quoted from the movie "the slow blade penetrates the shield".  So a quickly swung or stabbed blade against someone with a shield up will be blocked by the shield.  I'm all for pointing out stupid in movies, but this just really isn't that big of a deal to me.  There's a scene early in part 1 that explains this.  Perhaps you're not into sci-fi much though?

That said, there are projectile weapons and they are effective in combat in the movie.  But there are moments of hand to hand combat where they employ blades.

I watched Guy Ritchie's "The Covenant" the other night.  Good movie overall.  A few instances of what I consider to be bad acting, a few instances of what I consider to be bad writing, but overall a good movie to watch.

I do like sci-fi a lot, but when it gets ridiculous, or implausible, I don't go for that.  An advanced civilization would not be fighting with swords.

/a random WARSTAR appears

I get it in the idea of post-apocalyptic world, and gunpowder/laser/rocket not being a readily-available resource takes us back to the middle ages, armament-wise. Pretty easy to heat up a piece of steel and hammer it into a sharp pointy metallic stick. And sword would be more reliable than an arrow, since you tend not to let go of your sword.

Great...now I want to see Mad Max where they have some souped-up trebuchet with a V12 motor attached or something bonkers like that

(03-27-2024, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 01:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: I really enjoyed both Dune movies.

Because it's freaking cool. Advanced weapons in close quarters combat is boring.