Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Deshaun Watson to visit with the Jaguars

(10-26-2018, 09:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 01:42 AM)JackCity Wrote: Taking Fournette over Watson is gonna be one of the biggest "what ifs" in this franchises history... especially because we have to play him twice a year.

I dont thin it will be one of the biggest what its since we could of taken Mahomes.  We could of taken Watt as well and we took Gabbert.  Took the Joke over Hopkins.

They are both huge what ifs. The difference being we play one of them twice a year and will directly impact us every season. 

Nobody thought Nuk would be a top 10 receiver let alone top 3. You could argue Watt but Joke was a great pick at the time Vs who else was available there. Just didn't work out. 

Fournette had a ton of question marks pre draft and taking him over two really good QB prospects never made any sense considering who we had at QB. So we don't even need to use revisionist history to make it the biggest "what if" draft pick we've had.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2018, 11:41 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-26-2018, 11:10 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 09:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont thin it will be one of the biggest what its since we could of taken Mahomes.  We could of taken Watt as well and we took Gabbert.  Took the Joke over Hopkins.

They are both huge what ifs. The difference being we play one of them twice a year and will directly impact us every season. 

Nobody thought Nuk would be a top 10 receiver let alone top 3. You could argue Watt but Joke was a great pick at the time Vs who else was available there. Just didn't work out. 

Fournette had a ton of question marks pre draft and taking him over two really good QB prospects never made any sense considering who we had at QB. So we don't even need to use revisionist history to make it the biggest "what if" draft pick we've had.

There was only 1 question mark with Fournette and it was injury history.  Which its killing us right now with Fournette being out.  There was more questions with Watson coming out than Fournette
  Not like Watson was some flawless QB coming out lol.  Mahomes was the better prospect, if we took a QB I'm sure it would of been Mahomes with hi size, arm strength, and better accuracy he has over Watson

(10-26-2018, 11:10 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 09:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont thin it will be one of the biggest what its since we could of taken Mahomes.  We could of taken Watt as well and we took Gabbert.  Took the Joke over Hopkins.

And you dont draft a WzR in the first round if you dont think he will be a top 10 WR lol.  I wouldn't take a WR in the first unless I felt he could be a top 5 WR.

(10-26-2018, 11:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: They are both huge what ifs. The difference being we play one of them twice a year and will directly impact us every season. 

And you dont draft a WzR in the first round if you dont think he will be a top 10 WR lol.  I wouldn't take a WR in the first unless I felt he could be a top 5 WR.

So , at the time of that draft, you would have been fine taking Nuk with pick #2 over Joeckel? 

I find that very very hard to believe.

Watson and Mahomes over Fournette isn't revisionist history, it's pretty well documented on this very board what people thought about those QBs.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2018, 01:41 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-26-2018, 12:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: And you dont draft a WzR in the first round if you dont think he will be a top 10 WR lol.  I wouldn't take a WR in the first unless I felt he could be a top 5 WR.

So , at the time of that draft, you would have been fine taking Nuk with pick #2 over Joeckel? 

Watson and Mahomes over Fournette isn't revisionist history, it's pretty well documented on this very board what people thought about those QBs.

I didnts say that, just saying it was the wrong pick.  I liked the Jockel pick.  I thought he was one of the best tackle prospects in some tome, the joke was just soft as cotton.  

The reality was Dave missed again, it doesn't matter who me or you wanted or liked.  It only matters who Dave picks, he has just missed on a lot of picks and has had very bad luck with his first round picks as well as far as injury goes.  Joke broke his leg in his first year, Fowler torn ACL and missed while first year.  LF has not even played in half the games in his first 2 years.

(10-26-2018, 01:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 12:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: So , at the time of that draft, you would have been fine taking Nuk with pick #2 over Joeckel? 

I didnts say that, just saying it was the wrong pick.  I liked the Jockel pick.  I thought he was one of the best tackle prospects in some tome, the joke was just soft as cotton.  

The reality was Dave missed again, it doesn't matter who me or you wanted or liked.  It only matters who Dave picks, he has just missed on a lot of picks and has had very bad luck with his first round picks as well as far as injury goes.  Joke broke his leg in his first year, Fowler torn ACL and missed while first year.  LF has not even played in half the games in his first 2 years.

That's what I'm saying , Joke was a good pick at the time , can't really fault Caldwell for that. It wouldn't count as a "what if" moment. 

Fournette over the QBs on the other hand absolutely was given who we have at QB and the teams window. I don't think Fournettes injury history counts as bad luck either, he had a chronic injury when he was drafted. He's been injured for 3.5 seasons in a row now.  

And I think it does matter when fans can see the team needs a new QB, they double down on him, and then the following season he's the biggest problem on the team. That's not how well run franchises operate.

I had Mahomes ranked first, Trubisky a fairly distant second, and Watson a really distant third in 2017. I thought his college cut-ups showed me a guy that would throw a lot of picks at the next level. He's proving to be much better than I thought.

I really wanted the Jags to take Davis Webb in the fourth that year (he went in the third) as an insurance policy against a Bortles meltdown. I'm eager to see him get a shot somewhere so I can get some inkling of whether I was a fool to think he'd be a bargain upgrade. I'd say the giants letting Webb go indicates he may not be worth much, but... it's the giants, so...

(10-26-2018, 11:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: They are both huge what ifs. The difference being we play one of them twice a year and will directly impact us every season. 

There was only 1 question mark with Fournette and it was injury history. 

I promise if you look back at the Fournette threads there were a whole lot of question marks raised. Do you not remember the needs a runway takes, the needs a fullback to lead him through holes because his vision was bad, the extremely limited receiving and blocking experience questions, how he never played out of shotgun and Bortles only ever played out of shotgun?

Even if Fournette had a perfectly clean injury record he was still a bad pick at 4, even with foresight. And loads of people said so.

And if y'all want me to admit something I missed on, I said above Watson was a miss quite a while ago. I was a massive Mahomes fan and not a Watson fan. Turns out I'd be thrilled with either one now.

(10-27-2018, 11:19 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:40 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There was only 1 question mark with Fournette and it was injury history. 

I promise if you look back at the Fournette threads there were a whole lot of question marks raised. Do you not remember the needs a runway takes, the needs a fullback to lead him through holes because his vision was bad, the extremely limited receiving and blocking experience questions, how he never played out of shotgun and Bortles only ever played out of shotgun?

Even if Fournette had a perfectly clean injury record he was still a bad pick at 4, even with foresight. And loads of people said so.

And if y'all want me to admit something I missed on, I said above Watson was a miss quite a while ago. I was a massive Mahomes fan and not a Watson fan. Turns out I'd be thrilled with either one now.
I remember you saying most of that. But to only find out at season end you were wrong.

(10-27-2018, 03:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 11:19 AM)Upper Wrote: I promise if you look back at the Fournette threads there were a whole lot of question marks raised. Do you not remember the needs a runway takes, the needs a fullback to lead him through holes because his vision was bad, the extremely limited receiving and blocking experience questions, how he never played out of shotgun and Bortles only ever played out of shotgun?

I remember you saying most of that. But to only find out at season end you were wrong.

I didn't make any of that up on my own, and I think a sub 4 YPC with untouched 90 and like 75 yard touchdowns included proves it was pretty spot on.

(10-28-2018, 09:53 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 03:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I remember you saying most of that. But to only find out at season end you were wrong.

I didn't make any of that up on my own, and I think a sub 4 YPC with untouched 90 and like 75 yard touchdowns included proves it was pretty spot on.

Naw, run blocking was horrible. Fournette made something out of nothing.  Watch the games instead of looking at stats

(10-28-2018, 11:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 09:53 AM)Upper Wrote: I didn't make any of that up on my own, and I think a sub 4 YPC with untouched 90 and like 75 yard touchdowns included proves it was pretty spot on.

Naw, run blocking was horrible. Fournette made something out of nothing.  Watch the games instead of looking at stats

We had a top 10 run blocking line last year by PFF, NGS, and #NFL1000. There's a reason Yeldon and Grant both averaged 5 yards a carry.

(10-28-2018, 11:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 09:53 AM)Upper Wrote: I didn't make any of that up on my own, and I think a sub 4 YPC with untouched 90 and like 75 yard touchdowns included proves it was pretty spot on.

We had very good run blocking last year. 

Top 5 in negative carries I believe.

(10-28-2018, 05:20 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 11:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Naw, run blocking was horrible. Fournette made something out of nothing.  Watch the games instead of looking at stats
We had very good run blocking last year. 

The first half of the seasons we did, 2nd half not so much

(10-28-2018, 07:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 05:20 PM)JackCity Wrote: We had very good run blocking last year. 

The first half of the seasons we did, 2nd half not so much

That's why you use the full 16 games as your sample. By all accounts it was a very good run blocking line