Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cord

Quote:Does anyone have info about the Kodi app? There are boxes sold with that app on it and other boxes sold with that app programmed to watch whatever you want. I guess it surfs the web for you looking for the show/movie/sporting event you want and finds where to view it. Apparently, if you program that app the right way you can watch anything under Gods creation. Does anyone has info on whether or not that is illegal or not? Obvious answer is yes. And I'd agree because it's piracy. But I also read that they don't go after people who view pirated content. Just those that put it out there. If I understand correctly, in Europe it is legal to watch it. Thus, this app should be ok to use for that purpose.

I've cut the cord a while back and bought one of those boxes and programmed it and was able to watch a lot of stuff but after less than 24 hours later I spooked myself out and returned the box.

Edit. I blame Blake Bortles. He mentioned one of these boxes in his skank interview.

I've been using Kodi for about 4 years now (well it was xbmc back then), while Kodi itself is completely legal, those addons you're alluding to shouldn't be legal anywhere (unless you abide by my rule that it's only illegal if you get caught).  The problem with most of those addons is finding streams that stay up is hard  finding high def streams is hard to do for "free".  

You don't need a special box to install it either, I personally use firetv (not the stick).  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:They carry ESPN and ESPN2 and TBS. So any major college bowl game and baseball playoffs. I also pick it up in April for the draft.

That being said it includes CNN and like 16 other channels for only 20 a month. You can add other channels too for a few extra bucks.

Everytime I have ordered it I canceled within the month. They have never given me a hard time.

I was just reading about this service this week...id never heard of it before. How is the quality of it? I've read a lot of mixed reviews about it so far..
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

When you first pull the video up it is fuzzy for a few seconds but then it focuses. After that it is no big deal. Biggest downfall (and this isn't anything big) is that during commercials this annoying elevator music plays until the network commercials are over.

Side note, SLING used to advertise on Jim Rome well before streaming. Started as a way to watch your tv on your work computer. I.e. It's a legit company.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:I was just reading about this service this week...id never heard of it before. How is the quality of it? I've read a lot of mixed reviews about it so far..

Depends on your speed really, I have 100mbps and it's smooth when I've used it, its firetv app is slightly clunky though. 

Quote:<div>
When you first pull the video up it is fuzzy for a few seconds but then it focuses. After that it is no big deal. Biggest downfall (and this isn't anything big) is that during commercials this annoying elevator music plays until the network commercials are over.

Side note, SLING used to advertise on Jim Rome well before streaming. Started as a way to watch your tv on your work computer. I.e. It's a legit company.

</div>

To add to it's legality, I believe it's owned by Dish.

Quote:When we move next, we'll be leaving cable and satellite behind. It's tough, but honestly, all the shows we have any real interest in are coming to an end anyway. RIP Gravity Falls.

Protip: you can get a free month of Amazon Prime up to 12 times a year if you order an item and it misses its arrival date. If one had no morals, they could go online late at night, find a Prime delivery guarantee of the next day (physically impossible) on a $2 cord or a $4 USB charger, something dumb and cheap, then complain that your delivery was late and add a free month. Just sayin'. It's almost as useful as the Office Personal/Home subscription bug.

What is this bug of which you speak?

Quote:When you first pull the video up it is fuzzy for a few seconds but then it focuses. After that it is no big deal. Biggest downfall (and this isn't anything big) is that during commercials this annoying elevator music plays until the network commercials are over.

Thanks for the info. You don't see any commercials on it?

Quote:Thanks for the info. You don't see any commercials on it?

Nope. At least not on ESPN or ESPN2 which is the channel I usually watch when I pick it up.
― Albert Camus

I cut the cord around a year ago and it was a great decision.

I saved about 70 dollars a month and I barely watched it when I did have it.

I love my Roku box and use it for my streaming.

Sling is something I'm looking into too.  I doubt I'd have it all the time but for certain times of the year like draft time I think I'll try it.

Quote:You need an internet connection. The Fire Stick and some of the Roku boxes require WiFi. I believe the top of the line Roku box has an ethernet connection, as does Fire TV.

Vicbow, does Sling offer all the channels that carry the major sporting events?

That's why I dont do it, I'd still need Comcast and the bundle is only $20 more a month for the Digital HD package.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:What is this bug of which you speak?
You need an Office 365 subscription, which is $69 per year and covers 1 PC. I forget the exact steps, but the gist of it is that you turn on monthly auto-renew for your plan, then go buy a month of Office 365 Home, which covers 5 PCs. As soon as your account shows Home, turn off auto renew and switch back to annual billing. Boom, a year of $99 Office 365 Home for the cost of Personal (+$10).

If you know where to look towards the end of the year, you can find Windows tablets for as little as $50-60 that are absolute pieces of crap but come with a year of Office 365 Personal included. If you add them to your account, your account stays Home, and you can save 40-50% on Office 365 Home indefinitely.

Quote:You need an Office 365 subscription, which is $69 per year and covers 1 PC. I forget the exact steps, but the gist of it is that you turn on monthly auto-renew for your plan, then go buy a month of Office 365 Home, which covers 5 PCs. As soon as your account shows Home, turn off auto renew and switch back to annual billing. Boom, a year of $99 Office 365 Home for the cost of Personal (+$10).

If you know where to look towards the end of the year, you can find Windows tablets for as little as $50-60 that are absolute pieces of crap but come with a year of Office 365 Personal included. If you add them to your account, your account stays Home, and you can save 40-50% on Office 365 Home indefinitely.

I'm beginning to think TJ stands for Truth and Justice.

Quote:I'm beginning to think TJ stands for Truth and Justice.
Actually, it's for Tijuana. My username makes much more sense when you make that substitution.

Quote:Anytime a sports event comes up that I want to watch, but can't because I don't have cable I simply get SLING TV for the month.

I got it for baseball playoffs, college football bowl games, and the NFL draft.

It's $20 bucks for a month (which I cancel after my event) and had no minimum purchase. I figure it's cheaper than going to the bar.

I was just reading about Sling TV yesterday.  I might consider it.  I'm trying to decide on either a Sling box or the Amazon Fire.  Thanks for the info.

Quote:Does anyone have info about the Kodi app? There are boxes sold with that app on it and other boxes sold with that app programmed to watch whatever you want. I guess it surfs the web for you looking for the show/movie/sporting event you want and finds where to view it. Apparently, if you program that app the right way you can watch anything under Gods creation. Does anyone has info on whether or not that is illegal or not? Obvious answer is yes. And I'd agree because it's piracy. But I also read that they don't go after people who view pirated content. Just those that put it out there. If I understand correctly, in Europe it is legal to watch it. Thus, this app should be ok to use for that purpose.

I've cut the cord a while back and bought one of those boxes and programmed it and was able to watch a lot of stuff but after less than 24 hours later I spooked myself out and returned the box.

Edit. I blame Blake Bortles. He mentioned one of these boxes in his skank interview.

Actually I just finished setting in up on a Raspberry Pi 2 using the OSMC (Linux) Operating System.  You can pretty much install it on any computer.  My media server runs an application called Plex for streaming my media collection.  It runs on Linux, Mac or Windows and there is an app on my TV for streaming.  It also works with Kodi.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016, 09:50 AM by Vicbow Rules.)

[quote name="jagibelieve" post="690827" timestamp="1454847881"]

"I was just reading about Sling TV yesterday. I might consider it. I'm trying to decide on either a Sling box or the Amazon Fire. Thanks for the info."

I have the Fire Stick and download the Sling app. I don't know if the Sling Box is any good or not.
― Albert Camus

Quote:[quote name="jagibelieve" post="690827" timestamp="1454847881"]

"I was just reading about Sling TV yesterday. I might consider it. I'm trying to decide on either a Sling box or the Amazon Fire. Thanks for the info."

I have the Fire Stick and download the Sling app. I don't know if the Sling Box is any good or not.

Actually a Sling Box isn't really what I want.  I'm trying to decide between a Roku or the Amazon Fire.  I'm leaning towards the Fire since some of the reviews that I've come across have a lot of complaints about fan noise on the Roku 4.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016, 12:48 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Actually a Sling Box isn't really what I want.  I'm trying to decide between a Roku or the Amazon Fire.  I'm leaning towards the Fire since some of the reviews that I've come across have a lot of complaints about fan noise on the Roku 4.

I've had both, and prefer Fire TV. If you have a Kindle Fire there is a remote control app, essentially giving you an extra remote control (admittedly a minor benefit to most) plus you can mirror your Fire to your TV. Great for adult entertainment.

Not that I ever use it for that.

The Roku model I had did not have the voice search feature, but the Fire TV feature works great.

The  downside of Fire TV is the sometimes annoying marriage with Amazon Prime content. It's great if you have Prime, not so much if you don't.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016, 01:44 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:I've been using Kodi for about 4 years now (well it was xbmc back then), while Kodi itself is completely legal, those addons you're alluding to shouldn't be legal anywhere (unless you abide by my rule that it's only illegal if you get caught). The problem with most of those addons is finding streams that stay up is hard finding high def streams is hard to do for "free".

You don't need a special box to install it either, I personally use firetv (not the stick).
Yep. I installed it on my Nexus 6 so I can watch it on the go or I can just Chromecast it right to my TV.

And the addons are definitely illegal.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Yep. I installed it on my Nexus 6 so I can watch it on the go or I can just Chromecast it right to my TV.

And the addons are definitely illegal.
Maybe I'm too paranoid. But with it being illegal, how do you stay in the clear? Do you use a VPN? Are those legal? Or is it just one of those things that aren't really enforced?

I use Kodi on my Nvidia tablet when I'm traveling to find games sometimes.  Finding what you want does often involve questionable add-ons. 

My roomate has cable for I refuse to pay for, I pay for internet and for 3 years now have run a Netflix, amazon prime, streaming pirating operation with a friends hbo go login.  Befor my roomate had cable i would just go out or to a friends for the games.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine