Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cord

I’ve been flirting with the idea for years. I even called this past weekend to inquire about canceling my dish. They told me 420.00 to cancel. Because I recently bought new 4ks and upgraded my boxes. So I have 21 months left. My wife said heck no to paying that to cancel. I said “why not? I pay 180.00 a month for our programming.” That’s just over two months worth. Or I can pay a total of almost 4 grand to carry out the contract. 420.00 doesn’t look so bad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-10-2020, 09:08 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve been flirting with the idea for years.  I even called this past weekend to inquire about canceling my dish.  They told me 420.00 to cancel.  Because I recently bought new 4ks and upgraded my boxes.  So I have 21 months left.  My wife said heck no to paying that to cancel.  I said “why not? I pay 180.00 a month for our programming.”   That’s just over two months worth.  Or I can pay a total of almost 4 grand to carry out the contract. 420.00 doesn’t look so bad.

But if you cut the cord, do you still get 4k video?

(02-11-2020, 10:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 09:08 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve been flirting with the idea for years.  I even called this past weekend to inquire about canceling my dish.  They told me 420.00 to cancel.  Because I recently bought new 4ks and upgraded my boxes.  So I have 21 months left.  My wife said heck no to paying that to cancel.  I said “why not? I pay 180.00 a month for our programming.”   That’s just over two months worth.  Or I can pay a total of almost 4 grand to carry out the contract. 420.00 doesn’t look so bad.

For some things, yes. Amazon has many shows and movies in 4K.

(02-11-2020, 10:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

As long as whatever source you are streaming from and your bandwidth can handle it. Sure.

Xfinity just got me for another 2 years. ~$200/month for most cable channels, including showtime and GIGABIT internet. Hell AT&T was charging $300 just for that internet speed. I had to change network cards in my laptop and desktop to take advantage of the newfound bandwidth.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020, 04:09 PM by Jags.)

(02-11-2020, 10:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I’d have more content available through amazon Disney+ Netflix Hulu (which we currently have all those too).  4K broadcasts are very few and far between.  Last thing I saw broadcasted in 4K was the super bowl

(02-11-2020, 11:14 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 10:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: But if you cut the cord, do you still get 4k video?

As long as whatever source you are streaming from and your bandwidth can handle it. Sure.

Xfinity just got me for another 2 years. ~$200/month for most cable channels, including showtime and GIGABIT internet. Hell AT&T was charging $300 just for that internet speed. I had to change network cards in my laptop and desktop to take advantage of the newfound bandwidth.

I got art’s gigabit internet just weeks after dug up the neighborhood.   Paid 90/ month and to this day the bill is a flat 90.  And that’s been a few years now.  Said they would only change if I switch companies or downgrade my service.  Otherwise I’m grandfathered in on the price.

So depending on what’s on we cycle streaming sites but we cut the cord 2 years ago

Right now I do digital tv for local through an outdoor antenna I stream nextflix and Disney + Hulu bundle for $25 a month. In a few weeks when Twd is back I’ll turn off Disney + and add back in sling tv for amc live which puts me at $38 a month. Either way I’m always way under what Was running on my direct tv bill.

On game changer was we bought the google Wifi router and it took my connection to a whole different level. No more lagging or loading it’s super fast even with multiple devices best $100 bucks I spent on a while.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I have Hulu, Netflix and Disney+.

All for about 60 less than cable which gives us nothing but commercials.

I've been years without cable.

My internet is pretty robust at 70/mo. Then add to that netflix, amazon, disney+ (small) I found a new home with youtubeTV when Playstation VUE announced they were closing shop.

That's a significant savings over what I used to have for TV plus equivalent internet. Funny thing is, I still have too much to watch that I don't care to. Maybe we'll end up cutting more, maybe one or two from netflix, amazon, disney in the future. It's just that prime isn't likely to go due to amazon membership, and netflix still has some good original content (for now, that's likely to change.) Will probably drop Disney when my daughter gets older or if they decide to dramatically raise the cost of the entry level package.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-07-2016, 12:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
Quote:
Quote:"I was just reading about Sling TV yesterday. I might consider it. I'm trying to decide on either a Sling box or the Amazon Fire. Thanks for the info."

I have the Fire Stick and download the Sling app. I don't know if the Sling Box is any good or not.

Actually a Sling Box isn't really what I want.  I'm trying to decide between a Roku or the Amazon Fire.  I'm leaning towards the Fire since some of the reviews that I've come across have a lot of complaints about fan noise on the Roku 4.
All you need is the Roku express stick it’s $30 at Walmart. Don’t get the box you literally can do everything off a Roku express stick. I have two TVs with Roku built in and then one with the Roku express I love it

(02-11-2020, 04:41 PM)EricC85 Wrote: So depending on what’s on we cycle streaming sites but we cut the cord 2 years ago

Right now I do digital tv for local through an outdoor antenna I stream nextflix and Disney + Hulu bundle for $25 a month. In a few weeks when Twd is back I’ll turn off Disney + and add back in sling tv for amc live which puts me at $38 a month. Either way I’m always way under what Was running on my direct tv bill.

On game changer was we bought the google Wifi router and it took my connection to a whole different level. No more lagging or loading it’s super fast even with multiple devices best $100 bucks I spent on a while.
My man. I'm currently using the router that came from Verizon. Can I get a little more info on this google router?

(02-11-2020, 04:47 PM)EricC85 Wrote: All you need is the Roku express stick it’s $30 at Walmart. Don’t get the box you literally can do everything off a Roku express stick. I have two TVs with Roku built in and then one with the Roku express I love it

Exactly what I'm going to do or am in the process of doing.  I just have to plug the Roku into the bedroom TV.  I've just been too lazy since this month's DirecTV is paid for anyway.  That...and I have to reach my wife to use it.  My head hurts already thinking about that.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-11-2020, 04:50 PM)Rico Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:47 PM)EricC85 Wrote: All you need is the Roku express stick it’s $30 at Walmart. Don’t get the box you literally can do everything off a Roku express stick. I have two TVs with Roku built in and then one with the Roku express I love it

Exactly what I'm going to do or am in the process of doing.  I just have to plug the Roku into the bedroom TV.  I've just been too lazy since this month's DirecTV is paid for anyway.  That...and I have to reach my wife to use it.  My head hurts already thinking about that.
I'm a firestick man myself but I heard Roku is pretty good.

(02-11-2020, 04:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:41 PM)EricC85 Wrote: So depending on what’s on we cycle streaming sites but we cut the cord 2 years ago

My man. I'm currently using the router that came from Verizon. Can I get a little more info on this google router?

If he has the Google mesh router that I think he has, I'd skip over that and grab a router that is certified with WiFi 6. Whole different league. 

(02-11-2020, 04:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:50 PM)Rico Wrote: Exactly what I'm going to do or am in the process of doing.  I just have to plug the Roku into the bedroom TV.  I've just been too lazy since this month's DirecTV is paid for anyway.  That...and I have to reach my wife to use it.  My head hurts already thinking about that.
I'm a firestick man myself but I heard Roku is pretty good.

I've used AppleTV, Chromecast, and Roku over the years. Finally settled on Roku for the sole fact that they don't push any content. Other than that I think they're all pretty similar in the end.

(02-11-2020, 04:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

If you pop up google WiFi it’s pretty widely available now. It doesn’t replace your isp just the default routers that come with the modems. I have u-verse internet (strange I know we don’t even get mail delivery or trash pickup but I can get fiber optic internet whatever) and the WiFi was painfully slow. I bought the google WiFi mesh router (I only needed one to cover my whole house (2500sqft) then turned off the default WiFi and directed everything through google WiFi and wow it was a huge difference. Before I couldn’t stream nextflix and work on my laptop now I can stream on 3 TVs the kids playing video games surf The web on my phone and work on my laptop with zero lag or loading. Another feature I loved is it allows me to control connectivity of individual devices for example at 9pm on a school night all the kids video games and family tv room have no wifi until 10am the next morning but I have full access in my room all night. I can also set safe search only across the whole network so my preteen son can’t access the naughty stuff at least not with a little work around.

I haven’t done any research on this google mess router jobber-do. But I did replace my ATT router with a netgear Nighthawk. I’ve been satisfied with it. Is there a pro to having this google one? Or are we just talking about getting out of the isp’s cheap [BLEEP] and buying a better one?

(02-11-2020, 06:36 PM)Jags Wrote: I haven’t done any research on this google mess router jobber-do.  But I did replace my ATT router with a netgear Nighthawk.  I’ve been satisfied with it.  Is there a pro to having this google one? Or are we just talking about getting out of the isp’s cheap [BLEEP] and buying a better one?

The mesh systems are primarily designed to eliminate dead spots in large or two story homes. The Google system in known to be really really easy to set up and use as well.

Yea I’m not a tech guru at all I bought the google one cause it was super easy to setup and manage maybe another router would’ve done the trick but I’m so happy with the google WiFi I won’t ever go back

I cut the cord in Jan 2018 as my Xfinity invoice was up to $350/month (bundle package).

Now I pay Xfinity $110 for internet and YouTube TV $55 for streaming. We have 6 tvs so I bought 6 Roku Ultra's at ~ $50/each (major sale from their $89 price). Thus, I invested $300 to save $200/month. I honestly don't miss all of the excess stations I got with my Xfinity package.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020, 06:37 PM by Jags.)

[BLEEP], you guys talking about YouTube tv just made me do the 2 week free trial. That’ll save me 125.00/. Even paying dish 420 to cancel would save 830 this year. We already have Amazon, who doesn’t have Netflix, and wifey have free Disney+ for a year since she has unlimited from Verizon, I did a Hulu free trial and just forgot to cancel it. So that’s to my disposal as well. Not really sure why I have dish network tbh.

So, gigabit internet and YouTube Tv would be a whopping 139.99. Sounds like a plan. Get to rid myself of almost 200 of dish.

(02-12-2020, 06:35 PM)Jags Wrote: [BLEEP], you guys talking about YouTube tv just made me do the 2 week free trial.  That’ll save me 125.00/.  Even paying dish 420 to cancel would save 830 this year.  We already have Amazon, who doesn’t have Netflix, and wifey have free Disney+ for a year since she has unlimited from Verizon, I did a Hulu free trial and just forgot to cancel it.  So that’s to my disposal as well.  Not really sure why I have dish network tbh.

So, gigabit internet and YouTube Tv would be a whopping 139.99.  Sounds like a plan.  Get to rid myself of almost 200 of dish.
Get after it son!

The best part is that there are no cancelation fees with any of these streaming services. If you don't like it, don't renew for the next month and switch.

I know Comcast is completely changing their gameplans now that they are losing thousands of customers.