Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cord

(02-13-2020, 11:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 06:35 PM)Jags Wrote: [BLEEP], you guys talking about YouTube tv just made me do the 2 week free trial.  That’ll save me 125.00/.  Even paying dish 420 to cancel would save 830 this year.  We already have Amazon, who doesn’t have Netflix, and wifey have free Disney+ for a year since she has unlimited from Verizon, I did a Hulu free trial and just forgot to cancel it.  So that’s to my disposal as well.  Not really sure why I have dish network tbh.

So, gigabit internet and YouTube Tv would be a whopping 139.99.  Sounds like a plan.  Get to rid myself of almost 200 of dish.
Get after it son!

The best part is that there are no cancelation fees with any of these streaming services. If you don't like it, don't renew for the next month and switch.

I know Comcast is completely changing their gameplans now that they are losing thousands of customers.

I may be doing just that!  However Hulu and FuBo are in the mix.   Anyone know much about this FUBO?   They seem to be a tad more expensive, but offer pretty much all we watch.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2020, 08:46 AM by RicoTx.)

(02-13-2020, 08:32 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 11:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Get after it son!

The best part is that there are no cancelation fees with any of these streaming services. If you don't like it, don't renew for the next month and switch.

I know Comcast is completely changing their gameplans now that they are losing thousands of customers.

I may be doing just that!  However Hulu and FuBo are in the mix.   Anyone know much about this FUBO?   They seem to be a tad more expensive, but offer pretty much all we watch.

Well, I got the Roku set up in the bedroom last night so now I'm ready.  I'll wait a few more days to cancel DirecTV so my wife can get some more 'training'.  I'll be missing a couple of channels that my wife likes to watch (doesn't look like the history channel is on YouTubeTV).  But once I get her comfortable with NetFlix we'll have more content than we'll ever watch.  Hell, half the time she just has the TV on for background noise while she's home anyway.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Here's the best part, just about any streaming service lets you try it for free for a week. Try out Fubo and try out Youtube and see which one you like better. For me, DVR, guide and channels are the most important. I want a guide that's simple which is one of the main reasons I had initially started with PlaystationVue. Youtube has a customizable guide so that has been clutch.

Also, check to see if the History Channel has an app. You may be able to just click on the app on your Roku and watch whatever you want. I'm doing that for NickJr for my kids. Gotta have the Bubble Guppies!

I may need a second Roku.  I have an older Vizio that's supposed to be a smart TV but it appears to have pretty limited apps.  I'm not finding YouTube TV anywhere in the channel guide and I'm not finding it in the app store.   Sad

I’ll miss History channel too. I know they have an app but I thought you had to provide your tv provider in order to show you pay for it.

All this saving has me looking into other areas to save. I’ve got a bunch of auto insurance quotes coming back and already started cutting back on some bad habits. Spent a fortune on nicotine lozenges. Over 300/mo. Better than dipping i suppose. But enough is enough. . Altogether I can Eliminate just over 500 going out each month. That’ll go a ways in making the dream happen

I used Fubo for a few years because they had a loophole to make Jaguars games available to me. Not really sure it's different enough from any of the others that I would carry it as a second option. I liked YT TV better.

(02-14-2020, 05:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 08:32 PM)Jags Wrote: I may be doing just that!  However Hulu and FuBo are in the mix.   Anyone know much about this FUBO?   They seem to be a tad more expensive, but offer pretty much all we watch.

I used Fubo for a few years because they had a loophole to make Jaguars games available to me. Not really sure it's different enough from any of the others that I would carry it as a second option. I liked YT TV better.

Thanks for the info.  I’m doing the YouTube free trial.  Seems intuitive.  The DVR and guide is easy to use.  Best DVR in class.  I’m just missing too many channels for my liking.  How was Fubo’s guide and DVR?

(02-14-2020, 07:32 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 05:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I used Fubo for a few years because they had a loophole to make Jaguars games available to me. Not really sure it's different enough from any of the others that I would carry it as a second option. I liked YT TV better.

Thanks for the info.  I’m doing the YouTube free trial.  Seems intuitive.  The DVR and guide is easy to use.  Best DVR in class.  I’m just missing too many channels for my liking.  How was Fubo’s guide and DVR?

I only used it through a browser but I actually found it difficult to use.

(02-15-2020, 01:14 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 07:32 PM)Jags Wrote: Thanks for the info.  I’m doing the YouTube free trial.  Seems intuitive.  The DVR and guide is easy to use.  Best DVR in class.  I’m just missing too many channels for my liking.  How was Fubo’s guide and DVR?

I only used it through a browser but I actually found it difficult to use.
Thanks!  I may still give the free trial a try.  My TV does have an app for it.  Watched a video online.  Looks like they may have tweaked it to be more user friendly since then.  I’ll update with my findings for others if interested.

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020, 07:48 PM by Jags.)

So... hers my update with FuBo.  Using my high end 4K tv and it’s own FuBo app, works ok.  DVR is eh, doable.  However, I have not so much a high end 4K in my bedroom.  I’m using a fire box from Amazon.  The experience is way different between using those two methods.  While watching DVR’d programs in living room with the app for Samsung, I “fast forward” much like you would a song on your phone.  You really don’t know when to stop or where you’ll be and if you need to “back it up “.  Using the fire box in the bedroom is a much different story.  It will skip 15 sec per press of the button.  

My experience with Fubo has been mostly good.  I get all my channels.  And using on multiple devises has actually helped to make my decision on cutting the cord.  If all I had was their app on the “supported” Samsung device, I’d probably just keep dish.  But using Fubo on fire box, it is a much different story.  I will buy another fire box or two if we do indeed cut the cord.  It seems like the device you use will ultimately make or break the experience.  Can’t comment on Roku since I’ve never used it.  

My experience, if I did free trial solely on my Samsung’s app, I’d keep Dish for DVR purposes only.

When using the fire box, it really is a game changer.  I’d definitely make the switch.  I assume Roku users would have the same impression, but I can’t comment.  That’s what I have in my week free trial.  

Ultimately, I will cancel my free trial and make the decision later.   As of now, my answer is to get more Fire Boxes and cancel dish for Fubo.  YMVV.  Hope it helps.

Edit:   I think it may help to know, I’ve had Dish for over 14 years and can luckily afford the luxury.  But, Fubo, their channel lineup, and using the right equipment may change all that.

Well, I’ll say this, the more I use a fire box to watch Fubo, the better I like it. But not so much that, it’s close enough to what I’m used to, I don’t “miss” my current dish contract. I am still only halfway through the free trial. I may even pay extra fo more channels I’m used to watching. I’d still save 90.00+ a month. As stated before, would need the Amazon box. But, not a big deal for what I’d save

Well I completely cut the cord on Sunday. The Roku sticks work great. The only problem is my 4K TV is all the way at the other end of the house from the wireless router. The picture isn't what it should be and it buffers on occasion. I'm pretty sure it's not the connection speed (although I haven't done a speed check yet) as the two TVs at the same end of the house as the router are great. I'm considering a signal booster but not sure what to buy since I'm extremely novice at this.

Any suggestions?

On a related note, DirecTV has called me at least a dozen times since Sunday. I refuse to answer the phone. The girl that helped me disconnect the service on Sunday was fine. She gave me a mild 'we can give you this deal' speech, but I told her that I appreciated the offer but I was going to give streaming a try. And that was the end of the conversation. I'm sure these calls are the 'customer retention department'. If nothing else, I want to discontinue the service since I've already gone through the trouble to move all of the furniture to disconnect all of my DireccTV equipment. Eh, maybe I'll talk to them today if they call. I'm still not going to re-up...but maybe it will stop them from calling.

(02-19-2020, 08:24 AM)Rico Wrote: Well I completely cut the cord on Sunday.  The Roku sticks work great.  The only problem is my 4K TV is all the way at the other end of the house from the wireless router.  The picture isn't what it should be and it buffers on occasion.  I'm pretty sure it's not the connection speed (although I haven't done a speed check yet) as the two TVs at the same end of the house as the router are great.  I'm considering a signal booster but not sure what to buy since I'm extremely novice at this.

Any suggestions?

On a related note, DirecTV has called me at least a dozen times since Sunday.  I refuse to answer the phone.  The girl that helped me disconnect the service on Sunday was fine.  She gave me a mild 'we can give you this deal' speech, but I told her that I appreciated the offer but I was going to give streaming a try.  And that was the end of the conversation.  I'm sure these calls are the 'customer retention department'.  If nothing else, I want to discontinue the service since I've already gone through the trouble to move all of the furniture to disconnect all of my DireccTV equipment.  Eh, maybe I'll talk to them today if they call.  I'm still not going to re-up...but maybe it will stop them from calling.

If it's possible for you to get in your attic then run a cat 5e cable between the room your modem is in and the room your TV is in so you can put your router nearer the TV. It's the right time of the year to be able to do things up there. If not then run a cable along your floorboards to get it closer. If none of that is possible then maybe just try repositioning it some, sometimes just a little difference in positioning can make the difference.

(02-19-2020, 10:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 08:24 AM)Rico Wrote: Well I completely cut the cord on Sunday.  The Roku sticks work great.  The only problem is my 4K TV is all the way at the other end of the house from the wireless router.  The picture isn't what it should be and it buffers on occasion.  I'm pretty sure it's not the connection speed (although I haven't done a speed check yet) as the two TVs at the same end of the house as the router are great.  I'm considering a signal booster but not sure what to buy since I'm extremely novice at this.

Any suggestions?

On a related note, DirecTV has called me at least a dozen times since Sunday.  I refuse to answer the phone.  The girl that helped me disconnect the service on Sunday was fine.  She gave me a mild 'we can give you this deal' speech, but I told her that I appreciated the offer but I was going to give streaming a try.  And that was the end of the conversation.  I'm sure these calls are the 'customer retention department'.  If nothing else, I want to discontinue the service since I've already gone through the trouble to move all of the furniture to disconnect all of my DireccTV equipment.  Eh, maybe I'll talk to them today if they call.  I'm still not going to re-up...but maybe it will stop them from calling.

If it's possible for you to get in your attic then run a cat 5e cable between the room your modem is in and the room your TV is in so you can put your router nearer the TV. It's the right time of the year to be able to do things up there. If not then run a cable along your floorboards to get it closer. If none of that is possible then maybe just try repositioning it some, sometimes just a little difference in positioning can make the difference.

I'm in an older home and there is zero room in the attic.  Also because of the hookup I have very little room to maneuver the modem.  Trust me, I've done a lot of the stuff that you mention in my last house where I actually could move around in the attic.  I've got a [BLEEP] ton of good coax still.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020, 01:37 PM by SeldomRite.)

(02-19-2020, 11:30 AM)Rico Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 10:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: If it's possible for you to get in your attic then run a cat 5e cable between the room your modem is in and the room your TV is in so you can put your router nearer the TV. It's the right time of the year to be able to do things up there. If not then run a cable along your floorboards to get it closer. If none of that is possible then maybe just try repositioning it some, sometimes just a little difference in positioning can make the difference.

I'm in an older home and there is zero room in the attic.  Also because of the hookup I have very little room to maneuver the modem.  Trust me, I've done a lot of the stuff that you mention in my last house where I actually could move around in the attic.  I've got a [BLEEP] ton of good coax still.

You could try a redneck kind of solution of getting a fairly long box, covering it with aluminum foil, and only having the ends of it open pointing toward your TVs. In theory it might help.

Edit: oh, and putting the router in the middle of that box, if it wasn't clear.

I did a CAT5 through the attic. I actually ran a few to various rooms. It SUCKS to do it. But man, what a difference

(02-10-2020, 09:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 08:40 AM)Rico Wrote: Boy, I didn't realize how old this thread was.  I'm surprised I remembered this far back.

Well, finally going to cut the cord myself.  I've been experimenting with YouTube TV and Netflix the last few days.  I like the content but I think the interfaces are a but clunky.  Maybe it's because I'm so used to the cable/satellite guides.  My big fear is that I have to teach my wife how to use them.  She is not the most tech savvy person.  Without going into too much detail...we've had DirecTV for at least 10 years and she still doesn't know how to use (or find) the channel guide.  I foresee a lot of texts at work once I do cut the cord.  I'm going to wait until my free trial period for YouTube TV is over before I completely cancel DirecTV.  That, I had have to set up my Roku on my one non-smart TV in the bedroom.  I doubt it's very complicated...just didn't get around to it after we bought it yesterday.  I do not my connection speed is plenty fast enough because we've been watching Netflix wirelessly in the furthest room from the modem and it's been fine.

On a related note, I have been binge-watching The Black List.  I had lost track of it when I moved into this house three years ago because of numerous issues.  I'm almost up to date.  We both started semi-binge watching Dexter.  I know I'm way behind on that as I never had Showtime of a streaming service.  We're almost through year one.

Any recommendations on other streaming services for sports or anything at all?  It looks like I can get almost everything I want from YouTube TV and Netflix (or Amazon)  and that will save me damn close to $100 a month.

I haven't cut the cord, but I did get Netflix about a month ago and I have been binge-watching Narcos (warning: very dark and violent), and my wife and I have been binge-watching The Crown.  Also we've watched lots of stand-up comedy.  

One reason I haven't cut the cord is that I have been thinking I would lose live sports.  Is that still true?

After I watched Netflix for about a week I cancelled HBO and Showtime.  The only thing I wanted to watch on Showtime was Ray Donovan, but now that's over.  HBO has a lot of great shows, but as of now, I've seen the ones I want to watch.

This is a late response, but you can still get live sports via other streaming services.  I was using Playstation Vue, but they ended their streaming service last month.  Since then I switched to FuboTv and like it.  I'm not sure how the cost really compares to Youtube TV or any of the others, but they do offer a ton of sports programming.  That's one of the reasons I selected that service.  They also offer the news, business and other channels that I wanted for right around $60 per month.

(02-10-2020, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I cut the cord 3 years ago and have never looked back.

I had PlaystationVue for the majority of my time but they cut their service at the start of the new year. I got YoutubeTV and I really like it. Yes, it takes a little getting used to the interface but I showed my father in law (he's 70 something) and he seemed to pick it up quickly. I haven't missed a single sporting event that I've wanted to watch in 3 year. Unlimited DVR, On-Demand features as well as the price? It's pretty unbeatable at the moment. No need to pay for a dumb monthly fee just to have a clunky box collect dust. On YoutubeTV, you can put in who your favorite teams are and they will automatically record every game (again, unlimited DVR) AND they will hide the score for you! This was it doesn't get spoiled.

I could go on forever but if anyone wants more information, just DM me and I got you.

Long story short, switch and not look back. It's also free for a week so try it and if you really hate it, cancel.

Same here.  As I stated above, I selected FuboTV since the offered what I wanted (including the NFL Redzone channel) for just a little bit more than I was paying Playstation Vue.  I use the service both on my Amazon Fire TV boxes and on computers and laptops.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Any suggestions?

I know what you mean by older house and no attic space.  That's pretty much me, though my home is only 1450 square feet.  One thing to look for/consider is if there is anything that might cause interference around the router or the TV (metal objects, other electronic devices such as a microwave, etc.).  I don't have any experience with Roku devices, but from what I understand they are pretty solid and do well.  You might consider a Roku box (or another box such as the Amazon Fire).  Just my opinion, but I think a box might give a little bit better performance than a stick.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-21-2020, 03:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Any suggestions?

I know what you mean by older house and no attic space.  That's pretty much me, though my home is only 1450 square feet.  One thing to look for/consider is if there is anything that might cause interference around the router or the TV (metal objects, other electronic devices such as a microwave, etc.).  I don't have any experience with Roku devices, but from what I understand they are pretty solid and do well.  You might consider a Roku box (or another box such as the Amazon Fire).  Just my opinion, but I think a box might give a little bit better performance than a stick.

You misunderstood my post.  My Roku sticks work great.  The smart TV at the other end of the house it the issue.

(02-21-2020, 03:35 PM)Rico Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 03:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I know what you mean by older house and no attic space.  That's pretty much me, though my home is only 1450 square feet.  One thing to look for/consider is if there is anything that might cause interference around the router or the TV (metal objects, other electronic devices such as a microwave, etc.).  I don't have any experience with Roku devices, but from what I understand they are pretty solid and do well.  You might consider a Roku box (or another box such as the Amazon Fire).  Just my opinion, but I think a box might give a little bit better performance than a stick.

You misunderstood my post.  My Roku sticks work great.  The smart TV at the other end of the house it the issue.

Ah yes I did misunderstand.  What if you plug a Roku stick into the smart TV?  My "smart" TV is older and I don't really use the functions on it (it's basically just a big monitor).  One other thing that you might do to test is to see how a laptop or a tablet does with the Roku app in the same room as your smart TV.  If you experience the same issues, then look towards your router and possibly boosting the signal.  If not, then I would suspect an issue with the wifi on the TV.

Good luck!