Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:I think the problems with his deep ball are a concern, but they are largely overstated. There aren't many rookies that come into the league and have great success with the deep ball. He has the ability, I think part of it is that he needs playmakers that can get the type of separation needed. Obviously there are a lot of misconceptions on the type of QB Mariota is, I think some of you guys would do well to read this analysis of him from earlier in the season. It seems like everyone in the NFL except posters on this board are high on his potential. Could it be you guys are too bitter to recognize his potential?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-ro...us-mariota

The second clip shows MM going through his progressions. Here's what he sees...

1. too far

2. too far

3. too far

4. bingo

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Like that catch by ARob where he reached over the defender to snag it while getting laid out by another defender? Or do you mean like that TD catch to beat the Bills by Hurns?

I mean if bortles doesn't put the ball up, those receivers are worthless.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

There is no bb vs. mm debate. Blake can actually throw the ball.

Mariota played well, and has potential to be the guy the Titans need. Blake played better, though. With the exception of the interception, Blake was far more responsible for the Jags' success than MM was for the Titan's.

I'm very excited to see both of these QBs progress. They both have the potential to be elite QBs in this league for a long time. They have different skill sets, which adds to the excitement - MM is faster and has great accuracy under fifteen yards, and Blake has one of the strongest arms in the league and takes shots, along with sneaky athleticism.

I know you guys are our hated rivals, but it's just cool to think that we'll be seeing two elite QBs for division rivals for years to come. I wish MM all the success in the world, as I liked him coming out, but I hope he never wins a game against Blake. Cheers, baconater.

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

I hate the Tacks as much as the next person but I do not look forward to playing MM twice a year for the foreseeable future.

The teal colored glasses sometimes block our vision.

Quote:I hate the Tacks as much as the next person but I do not look forward to playing MM twice a year for the foreseeable future.

The teal colored glasses sometimes block our vision.

I'm with you on this. I don't think Mariota sucks and he looks like he can grow into a very good QB. It just so happens, I also think Blake will end up being better given their current skill sets. I hate the tacks too, but I don't necessarily wish Mariota ill...except when he's playing us. He can run over the clots and the tinhorns all he wants as far as I'm concerned.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I'm with you on this. I don't think Mariota sucks and he looks like he can grow into a very good QB. It just so happens, I also think Blake will end up being better given their current skill sets. I hate the tacks too, but I don't necessarily wish Mariota ill...except when he's playing us. He can run over the clots and the tinhorns all he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Mary is a poor mans Chad Pennington

Quote:Exactly Bortles moved us down field with ease too against a much better D. We left so many points on the field. Could easily have been a blowout.

If the Jags could just get to the point where they are above average to score a TD when they get tol the red zone/goal line, these close games, especially against bad teams, won't come down to the last few minutes to decide the outcome.

Scoring TDs in the red zone/goal line and the offensive line are the 2 biggest weaknesses the Jags need to address if they really want to take advantage of challenging for the AFCS.

Gus simply has to get better as a HC and figure out how to improve on these issues.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:If the Jags could just get to the point where they are above average to score a TD when they get tol the red zone/goal line, these close games, especially against bad teams, won't come down to the last few minutes to decide the outcome.

Scoring TDs in the red zone/goal line and the offensive line are the 2 biggest weaknesses the Jags need to address if they really want to take advantage of challenging for the AFCS.

Gus simply has to get better as a HC and figure out how to improve on these issues.

Red zone scoring has become a critical issue for Oley that must be addressed. Part of it is Blake's seeming inability to throw a good fade.

It might be time to watch some tape on the teams that make red zone scoring seem automatic. Then again, you an do just as much by watching our own red zone defense especially in the few years prior to this year.

'02

Mariota = Kaepernick merged with Gabbert

Fastballs and speed of Kaep with the checkdown mentality and off the field demeanor of Gabbs.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 02:38 PM by imtheblkranger.)

Quote:He is a rookie WR who is normally 4th on the depth chart, he is an athletic freak but extremely raw. He ran sloppy routes all night and even cost Mariota a INT in the last game because of his poor route running. Harry Douglas is a washed up vet who was acting as their WR1 all night. If you think him along with guys like Supermaw and Fasano are great playmakers I don't know what to tell you. Even if you want to discount the stats from his last drive, he still accounted for over 200 yards on 60%+ completion with a TD and no turnovers. Obviously when the line can't block and the receivers can't get any separation its going to be hard to make big plays down the field. He had his fair share of bad throws but overall there was a lot more good than bad.

Even Bortles, who has great WRs was unable to really get anything going tonight. His only TD came on a drive where they started inside the 10 and he also had two really bad turnovers. If I can recognize that he still made some good things happen despite everything else, why can't you guys just give Mariota credit for playing well as a rookie? Do you guys remember what Bortles looked like in his first 8 starts? Go remind yourself if you're ready to write off Mariota this early into his career when he is putting up record numbers as a rookie.
Bortles couldn't get anything going? He marched down field all night long. We were in the redzone what 5 times? Mariota didn't take a snap inside the 20 all game.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Gifted by the refs? Don't be all salty about calls, they were pretty fair all night. He ran 23 yard for the TD on a play where it looked like a safety took a bad angle and blocked Telvin. He made chain moving plays, didn't turn the ball over, and kept his team in position to win the game. If not for the punt return and fumble, the outcome is likely to be different.

You are bias so obviously not surprised by this above response but those were awful calls the refs GAVE the titans. Pretty fair?

Mariota has a very impressive release speed. He can't throw more than 10 yards though.

I kinda like Mariota. He seemed pretty poised. I don't think he's special though, but he's going to be competitive against us every year, so I'll give him props.

With that said... Blake Bortles is better.
Shock the world

Quote:Mariota has a very impressive release speed. He can't throw more than 10 yards though.

He's also pretty smart with the football when he isn't pressured and can sit in the pocket.

Not a bad runner, either.

Like most rookies, bad things happen when he's pressured.  Time will tell if that's a trait or something he overcomes with experience.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 05:17 PM by paulyman29.)

Quote:Mariota played well, and has potential to be the guy the Titans need. Blake played better, though. With the exception of the interception, Blake was far more responsible for the Jags' success than MM was for the Titan's.

I'm very excited to see both of these QBs progress. They both have the potential to be elite QBs in this league for a long time. They have different skill sets, which adds to the excitement - MM is faster and has great accuracy under fifteen yards, and Blake has one of the strongest arms in the league and takes shots, along with sneaky athleticism.

I know you guys are our hated rivals, but it's just cool to think that we'll be seeing two elite QBs for division rivals for years to come. I wish MM all the success in the world, as I liked him coming out, but I hope he never wins a game against Blake. Cheers, baconater.
My thoughts exactly. I think Mariota will also benefit from ownership bringing in a better offensive staff. Mularkey is not the answer for Mariota just like Fisch wasn't the answer for Blake.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

So much salt, and I don't understand why. Does Mariota being  a good player preclude Bortles from reaching his potential? Here's Mariota's first 8 games compared to Blake's:

Mariota:

13 TDs 6 INTs  2,026 yards 169/259 65.3% 7.8 YPA 130 yards rushing 6.2 YPC 1 TD 7 fumbles 4 lost

Blake:

6 TDs 13 INTs 1,844 yards 177/281 62% 6.5 YPA 198 yards rushing 5.3 YPC 0 TD 5 fumbles 1 lost

I think if you give Mariota the same type of talent at WR as Bortles, his numbers will only improve.

Here are also some third parties giving love to Mariota (and Bortles):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ising-rate

There is some good stuff about both QBs here, and compare Bortles to other QBs in their first 24 starts.

This one breaks down Mariota's performance last night and his potential:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/25912...n-tnf-loss

I'm sure some of you probably won't even bother to consider outside perspectives and read the article, but people are very high on Mariota's potential.

Mariota's passes, like most of the Titans roster, are nothing but floaters.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Mariota's passes, like most of the Titans roster, are nothing but floaters.

Sometimes putting the right touch on the ball is more important than throwing a dart.

http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/NFL_CO..._3200k.mp4