Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:Sometimes putting the right touch on the ball is more important than throwing a dart.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/NFL_COM/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/REG/11/151119_bp_mariota_deep_to_walker_348170_3200k.mp4'>http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/NFL_COM/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/REG/11/151119_bp_mariota_deep_to_walker_348170_3200k.mp4</a>
Mary has a noodle arm. Accept it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So much salt, and I don't understand why. Does Mariota being  a good player preclude Bortles from reaching his potential? Here's Mariota's first 8 games compared to Blake's:

Mariota:

13 TDs 6 INTs  2,026 yards 169/259 65.3% 7.8 YPA 130 yards rushing 6.2 YPC 1 TD 7 fumbles 4 lost

Blake:

6 TDs 13 INTs 1,844 yards 177/281 62% 6.5 YPA 198 yards rushing 5.3 YPC 0 TD 5 fumbles 1 lost

I think if you give Mariota the same type of talent at WR as Bortles, his numbers will only improve.

You like to keep harping on this "first x games" stat thing, conveniently ignoring that unlike Mariota, who was groomed to start all off season and played surrounded by veterans. Bortles, on the other hand, was treated as someone that was practicing his basics biding his time for next year while Henne tried to fill the starting role on a team full of rookie starters.

Those insanely good WRs you tack fans like to talk about, Hurns and Robinson, they were rookies last year when Bortles played his first eight games, and Robinson didn't even get to play in the preseason or practice for most of the offseason.

Comparing Bortles in his first few games leading a crew full of rookies while being led by some of the worst coaching in the league (dead Fisch, anyone?) to a guy older than him and being groomed from the start on a team of vets is just as stupid as I'd expect a tack fan to be.

Quote:So much salt, and I don't understand why. Does Mariota being  a good player preclude Bortles from reaching his potential? Here's Mariota's first 8 games compared to Blake's:

Mariota:

13 TDs 6 INTs  2,026 yards 169/259 65.3% 7.8 YPA 130 yards rushing 6.2 YPC 1 TD 7 fumbles 4 lost

Blake:

6 TDs 13 INTs 1,844 yards 177/281 62% 6.5 YPA 198 yards rushing 5.3 YPC 0 TD 5 fumbles 1 lost

I think if you give Mariota the same type of talent at WR as Bortles, his numbers will only improve.

LOL...

Mariota was groomed to start his first 8 games.

Blake was groomed to watch his first 8 games from the sideline.

You would have known that if you were being objective.  But instead, you left it out there as a lie of omission.

Which is typical of you.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I thought Mariota played well enough last night.  That being said, I don't recall seeing him really sit in the pocket and scan the field.  I haven't seen much of him, so it is possible that he does it, but I am always cautious when i see a young guy hitting guys on slants and running free up the seam.  I would like to see him make a few anticipation throws or in a tight window in the middle of the field.

Not saying he can't do it, maybe he already has, I have only seen him twice.  I think his mobility provides him some extra time this year that won't be there next year.  Should be interesting to see how he develops.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 08:08 PM by lastonealive.)

Let's not forget he was against a terrible jags pass D. He was pretty ineffective and didn't really flash outside his run.

I think he will be one of many qbs in the league who can win games with a good D and running game. I just don't see what he does that can ever make him great. There's no obvious great talent.

Bortles since his first throws in preseason as a Rookie has been making big yardage throws with at times awful protection. The talent jumps off the screen.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 08:17 PM by Baconator.)

That's funny, Mariota was a major project QB coming out of college. That was the biggest knock on him, was that he was a system QB who never had taken snaps under center. Maybe how quickly he has adapted (many experts have already noted his footwork and throwing mechanics are near perfect) made you forget, but he was far from being as pro ready as you guys suggest. I didn't realize vets like Harry Douglas and Dexter McCluster were such dynamic playmakers. As bad as they miss Hunter, he was a ghost on the field every week. His offensive line has also been one of the worst in the league (31st) all year.

The numbers speak for themselves and so does the performance on the field.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 08:33 PM by SeldomRite.)

Quote:That's funny, Mariota was a major project QB coming out of college. That was the biggest knock on him, was that he was a system QB who never had taken snaps under center. Maybe how quickly he has adapted (many experts have already noted his footwork and throwing mechanics are near perfect) made you forget, but he was far from being as pro ready as you guys suggest. I didn't realize vets like Harry Douglas and Dexter McCluster were such dynamic playmakers. As bad as they miss Hunter, he was a ghost on the field every week. His offensive line has also been one of the worst in the league (31st) all year.

The funny part is that you spout all of this off as if it has any meaning at all.

All of the knocks about Mariota have been born out, and while he's had two statistically impressive games, he's been what looks like scared to make big throws, and I don't see how a QB finds more success than scoring 13 points against a bottom of the league level defense playing that style.

Last night's performance was exactly what I expected of Mariota, make quick short throws, hope the running game and defense can carry him, and take advantage of any mistakes the opposing team makes while he plays a style focused on minimizing his own exposure to mistakes.

The titans scored one TD last night, and it's no coincidence it was on a drive peppered with horrifically bad officiating in your team's favor. Congrats to MM for taking advantage of that against a bad defense to manage to get the titans score up to double digits.

Also congratulations on how stupid the Jaguars coaches are for going braindead whenever they get near the opposing team's end zone, it's what made the score look respectable for the tacks last night.

I'm glad you guys are at least getting practice for all the mental gymnastics you'll need to be doing in the future.

Mariota might end up being a good player. I can understand why Tennessee fans have hope. That being said, we will really have to wait until this time next year to really know if he has "it."
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:That's funny, Mariota was a major project QB coming out of college. That was the biggest knock on him, was that he was a system QB who never had taken snaps under center. Maybe how quickly he has adapted (many experts have already noted his footwork and throwing mechanics are near perfect) made you forget, but he was far from being as pro ready as you guys suggest. I didn't realize vets like Harry Douglas and Dexter McCluster were such dynamic playmakers. As bad as they miss Hunter, he was a ghost on the field every week. His offensive line has also been one of the worst in the league (31st) all year.

And the performance and numbers prove you were completely wrong about Bortles.

And still are.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I'm glad you guys are at least getting practice for all the mental gymnastics you'll need to be doing in the future.

Hey lap dog, Mariota's balls need a sniffing.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

If Marcus mariota falls over in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does baconator still inbreed?
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

No doubt Baconater was a Vince Young "all he does is win" kind of guy. While other teams in the AFC South dreaded him getting injured and playing against Collins.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 11:54 PM by lastonealive.)

MM also has only 5 td's pasding in last 5 games. 4 of those In one game. Looks like he's getting figured out after a fast start. Bortles has thrown a TD in every game.

Mariota looks very poised and accurate for a rookie and will only get better but my god it looks like he has to put everything into it for sideline throws.

Quote:Mariota looks very poised and accurate for a rookie and will only get better but my god it looks like he has to put everything into it for sideline throws.

I don't think he has the strongest arm in the league but he has more then enough to make every throw. I think the coaching staff has to take the handcuffs off of him. Let MM take chances and throw the ball down the field. Yeah he's gonna throw some picks but let the guy learn by doing.

I like Mariota and think he'll be good hopefully just not when he plays the Jags.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I don't think he has the strongest arm in the league but he has more then enough to make every throw. I think the coaching staff has to take the handcuffs off of him. Let MM take chances and throw the ball down the field. Yeah he's gonna throw some picks but let the guy learn by doing.

I like Mariota and think he'll be good hopefully just not when he plays the Jags.

It's not just about arm strength. It's also about accuracy on the deep pass. Mariota has taken plenty of shots downfield so he certainly can get it out there, but his completion percentage on those throws are horrid. The greatest and most obvious disparity between MM and BB is when you compare their stats on passes of 20+ yards. It's night and day different. In other words, yeah Mariota has the sheer arm strength to make every throw, but no he can't actually make every throw. Then again, until Bortles learns to throw a fade pass neither can he.

'02

Quote:Mary has a noodle arm. Accept it.

"Mary" love it.   Mary Ota

Quote:"Mary" love it.   Mary Ota

The name fits like a glove.

Its becoming comical how much you guys are harping on his deep ball issues. Historically the deep ball has always come last in the development of young QBs, even Bortles struggled with the deep ball last year. Consider this, in his rookie year he was 13/50 26% on deep balls, 36th in the league of all qualifying QBs. Thus far, Mariota is 11/33 for 33%, or 31st in the league.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature/253...-tennessee