Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fallout 4

Quote:I got ya. I binged on some bargain basement games for my PS Quattro so I'm set for a few months. Would still like to build a decent gaming rig though. I'd love to see StarCraft II on a good machine.

I still need to get Legacy of the Void to finish SC2, too caught up in FO4 for it lol.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Playing on my X1. Not much of a PC gamer, I use to love RTS and some MMO back in the day but still enjoying FO4 overall.

It's a great game, but obviously not without it's flaws.

General Thoughts:

-Settlements are fun to build up.  Scrapping spare junk lying around is useful, but I also feel like I want to save everything like a hoarder, instead of selling it so I can buy Ammo.  Which means I run out of ammo a lot.  I like to scrap stuff that's lying around, and usually spend a little time doing that every time I get a new settlement.

-There's too many turrets.  The first settlement quest you get, you have to go take out some raiders near Concord, and you expect a fairly easy early quest.  A few raiders equipped with melee weapons, and maybe a few with some guns.  Instead what you get is a fortress with turrets with difficult to reach consoles, and raiders armed to the teeth.  Obviously you don't have to do the mission right away, but you have to start somewhere.  In almost every place you go, there's turrets just waiting to eat away at your health. Codsworth and I managed it, but only after I toned the difficulty down.

-The Map is much better than Fallout 3.  Getting around is really easy.  There don't seem to be a lot of places where you have to worry about getting stuck.  And unlike New Vegas, there's not been any places (so far at least) where there's Deathclaws waiting to tear my eyes out at level say... 7 or 8.  (I'm level 18 now).  I did run into the Legendary Deathclaw.  Then I ran as fast as I could, and fast traveled back to Sanctuary.  

-There should have been a tutorial for building settlements.  Seriously.  I mean I got the hang of it eventually, but there's still some things I don't understand.  A Tutorial quest for that would have been nice.  Especially since it's a new feature.  I had to look up Supply Lines and shops.

-The game is absolutely gorgeous.  Now if only it could be less buggy... Haven't had any crashes so far, so that's a plus at least.

-Companions are way easier to find than in Fallout 3.  In FO3 i didn't have a companion until toward the end of the game.  It's more like New Vegas in that regard, where ED-E and Boone were with me almost the whole time.  I do wish you could take more than one at a time though.  One human and one non-human companion would be nice. 

-I like the critical system in VATS.  And I like the addition of VANS, which makes it easy to find your way around.

-Dialog choices are a little weak, but that's what you'll get with a voiced protagonist.  Wish they had a bit more impact though.  

-Shops should be cheaper, or produce more bottlecaps for you.  One or the other.  I mean I think you have to have settlers unassigned to anything to make money off of them, which makes no sense.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I actually didnt notice much of an issue with turrets, the grenade abuse was annoying though.

The map is great, one of the things I liked more so than in the other games was the world felt more alive.  You'd constantly hear random skirmishes when traveling, you'd see more neutral npcs, as opposed to 3 and NV which were pretty barren outside of faction holdouts. 

Yeah the settlements were a [BLEEP] without instruction, it took me forever like you to do supply lines or to assign settlers lol.

Maybe it depends on how you play, I found I had an over abundance of caps, even when building up settlements.  If you hang around diamond city and that area theres a ton of raiders/mutants/gunners to kill and sell their armor/weapons (which fetches the best amount of caps).  I usually end up buying out everyone's shotgun/.308 ammo since those were my best guns, didnt have much of a need for anything else. 

My personal disappointments would be that power armor is way too damn easy to find, I had so many damn suits it looked funny.

Nothing really feels overpowered, Deathclaws in 3 were annoying and unexpected, Deathclaws were still pretty strong in NV but even worse imo were the Cazadors (mainly their poison), on 4 there really isnt anything, even the Deathclaws are pretty easy since most areas they're around there's also buildings you can go into, and they're too stupid/large to do anything while you kill them.

I actually loved the factions in NV, you help this faction then another faction will get mad, wear a certain gang color then everyone is mad, theres almost no consequence to doing anything in 4.

[BLEEP] nuts at the beach farm that continues to get kidnapped by raiders

I miss the weapons eventually wearing down, it seems too easy.

Overall the game seems to easy, even playing on survival or whatever the top thing is called. 

Huh, I haven't had much problems with grenades as I have with turrets.  

I think I've had a problem with caps because I save EVERYTHING.  I've also avoided the Super Mutants because they scare me.  I remember quitting fallout 3 for a year because of a Super Mutant.  

Power Armor is really easy to find, and maybe a bit too important to the game.  I mean i like going without power armor unless going up against something like the Mirelurk Queen.  It's helpful to avoid radiation (and in this game it seems like radiation goes up a lot faster, and it cuts your healthbar down a lot)

I liked the factions in New Vegas, but felt that Caesar's Legion was too... evil.  Like I couldn't even see myself joining them on an evil playthrough.  Just totally unsympathetic.  I haven't met many factions here yet, so I can't really comment on them yet.

I miss weapons and armor wearing down too.  I liked going into the menu to repair them with other stuff, so that I'd save weight.  Now I get overburdened really easily.  Which is another reason two companions would be nice.

I disagree with the game being too easy, but I'm not much into shooting games.  So that may be why it's hard for me.  It's easier than Fallout 3 though.  But I think that also makes it a bit more accessible.  I never felt like giving up like I did in 3 and New Vegas.  (Eventually I went back to them, and beat them several times)  Of course it may also be hard for me because I'm not going around killing everything in sight, and saving a lot of my weapons even if I rarely use them and run out of ammo pretty quick too >_>

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Yeah mines all they do is toss 'nades, over and over again.  Turrets are never really an issue since I mainly use a sniper rifle.

I usually only save the special stuff and horde food/aid items to craft, misc goes into crafting, and 99% of weapons and armor gets sold 

The Super Mutants on 3 used to creep me out for some reason, maybe because the game itself was so dark looking, I had less of an issue with them on NV, though I think the fact that they were kinda nestled away from everything didnt hurt either.  I also liked that there was a community of good mutants instead of making it so black and white.  

I tend not to use power armor at all, because like I said I found the game to be kind of easy.  I mean there are spots here and there and the early game is difficult but it was pretty easy for the most part. (I will say that I haven't beaten the game though was was lvl 47 and decided to start a new game with some mods that require fresh starts)

So I finally got around to playing it and, right below the two-hour mark, returned it to Steam for a refund.

Here's what I did like about it:

Ran smoothly on my lowish-end rig (GTX 960 4GB, Pentium G3258 OC'ed to 4.4 that will eventually be replaced by an i7-4790K or Xeon E3-1241V3)

Good FPS action

For the 10 seconds that I had the game booted up to ultra with anti-aliasing on before realizing that 4 FPS wasn't going to cut it--and I knew I'd end up there with the G3258, no matter how solid its single-core performance is--it looked absolutely beautiful

Honestly, there was only one thing that made me dislike the game enough to send it back, and it's a criticism I've heard before: the RPG aspect is subjugated to the FPS aspect. New Vegas and Skyrim, for example, are two of the absolute best RPGs ever made, and they incorporate the elements of a FPS into that formula for the perfect balance. New Vegas in particular nailed this. Fallout 4 feels like a generic FPS with a little bit of RPG tacked on, and I just couldn't get into that. If I want a FPS, I'll bust out Left 4 Dead 2, AVA (I hate CS:GO) or Metro 2033. I look to Bethesda for games with great character development and interaction, and I'm just not sure that Fallout 4 has that.

I'm anxiously anticipating the next Elder Scrolls sequel, which I have hopes for seeing sometime in 2017.

I first read it as "it ran smoothly on low" and was like what the hell when looking at the specs lol.  It definitely isn't as RPG like as NV [which I personally was my favorite (or maybe second fav, I loved Rage) Bethesda game until FO4 came around], but it does have it's moments.  They have a good foundation with this one, hopefully by the next fallout they'll make some leaps on the RPG side of things. 

I cant get into it. And its weird cause i like bioshock and Borderlands. Just fallout is not my cup of tea.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:I cant get into it. And its weird cause i like bioshock and Borderlands. Just fallout is not my cup of tea.
Bioshock and Borderlands are paced much differently which gives them a completely different feel IMO.  Other than it being a FPS (even though in FO you can go to 3rd person), they aren't similar.

It's okay. I still play Skyrim so I tend to bounce between it on my PC and then Fallout 4 on PS4.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I just finally "beat" it last night.

I enjoyed the game all the way around for the most part. I wasn't a fan of power armor at all, really only used it if I needed to go into a high radiation area.

The only thing I really didn't like was that, whatever my choices, it doesn't really effect the end of the game. Outside of your chosen faction "winning" (like previous FO games), the ending cut-scene is pretty much identical. I just wish there was a little more consequence to my actions.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It's boring. I played it as much as I possibly could. The Map just doesn't offer enough. Setting wise it's so bland and one dimensional, which I understand. It's post apocalyptic. And it's based in Boston. So realism wins out. But I just can't get into it anymore. The voice acting and dialogue check points were nice little touches but at times it seemed more and more like a chore. The main story line and plot was weak. I think they tried to emulate Dragon Age III: The Inquisition when it came to the voice work and dialogue options but it couldn't hold a candle in that regard. I might give it another shot with some of this new material coming out. But it's just so boring man. 

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:It's boring. I played it as much as I possibly could. The Map just doesn't offer enough. Setting wise it's so bland and one dimensional, which I understand. It's post apocalyptic. And it's based in Boston. So realism wins out. But I just can't get into it anymore. The voice acting and dialogue check points were nice little touches but at times it seemed more and more like a chore. The main story line and plot was weak. I think they tried to emulate Dragon Age III: The Inquisition when it came to the voice work and dialogue options but it couldn't hold a candle in that regard. I might give it another shot with some of this new material coming out. But it's just so boring man.
i didn't make it long either but I'm holding out hope for the mods on ps4 I hope I can get like a all enemies legendary an a couple more I played one the hardest difficulty from the rip an it still wasn't that hard I seen they revamped survival also like no saves other than sleep no fast travel an more

Just got an Xbox one last week and picked up FO4. Has anyone else tried out some of the mods that are available? I've downloaded about 20 or so and they seem to be working pretty good so far. Unfortunately they only give you a 2 gig limit on how many mods you're able to run, so you have to pick the ones that you like the most.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:Just got an Xbox one last week and picked up FO4. Has anyone else tried out some of the mods that are available? I've downloaded about 20 or so and they seem to be working pretty good so far. Unfortunately they only give you a 2 gig limit on how many mods you're able to run, so you have to pick the ones that you like the most.

Mods got delayed for the PS4 so I can't comment on them yet. Haven't really picked up the game at all since beating the main story. Started feeling forced.

There's yet to be a game like Witcher 3 that's made me want to explore every little area without feeling like a chore.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Mods got delayed for the PS4 so I can't comment on them yet. Haven't really picked up the game at all since beating the main story. Started feeling forced.

There's yet to be a game like Witcher 3 that's made me want to explore every little area without feeling like a chore.

Witcher 3 is definitely on my "to get" list. I've just always have loved the Fallout franchise so that was the first game I grabbed. The fact that you have to wait so long on mods for the PS4 was one of the main reasons I went with the Xbox one.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Anybody use any mods? I just dusted it off and installed some mods that turn all enemies except Raiders and Boss Monsters into Zombies.

Zombies are just Ghouls who's speed and lunging are turned off. They're super vulnerable to head shots or take a crap ton damage to the body in order to kill. Turns them into Romero style zombies and makes it a very cool experience.

They're also sensitive to sound and will horde up pretty quick if you start shooting at one. As slow moving as they are, it gets pretty dangerous.

Basically makes the game feel like you're in The Walking Dead. I really like it. There's an option to replace Raiders too but I think having the other people out there makes it more like TWD.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

There's another mod that adds additional hordes around the Commonwealth. I might add that to try out as well.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I haven't tried any of the mods at all. I remember earlier this year buying all the DLC's for it but never playing any of it. Have been tempted to kick the tires on it again here soon this month. Just trying to decide on a build. Don't know if I want to go pure Melee or a Gunslinger type build.