Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stephen King's Dark Tower, now a movie!

Quote:From what I gather this isn't "The Gunslinger: The Movie" it's an introduction to the Dark Tower with planned sequals/TV series to fill in the finer details of the story
I really hope this is a hit at the theater. If it's not all supplemental movies, shows, written form stuff etc.. will just be 86'd. It's a very rich universe that deserves to be explored I think. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:From what I gather this isn't "The Gunslinger: The Movie" it's an introduction to the Dark Tower with planned sequals/TV series to fill in the finer details of the story

I get that part and all, and that the are trying to lay the groundwork for the whole Dark Tower "universe", but those two items (Tull and Cort) define Roland in ways that the Taheen and Jake Chambers just can't. 

I guess my concern comes from the idea that without those two, Roland won't be fully developed. And if he isn't fully developed, then the story will suffer for it.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I get that part and all, and that the are trying to lay the groundwork for the whole Dark Tower "universe", but those two items (Tull and Cort) define Roland in ways that the Taheen and Jake Chambers just can't. 

I guess my concern comes from the idea that without those two, Roland won't be fully developed. And if he isn't fully developed, then the story will suffer for it.
I don't think we really have much of an idea what story they are trying to tell right now which is a good thing IMO. We don't know if they are doing Tull in this movie, later or not at all nor do we know if they plan on dealing with Cort via flashbacks or with internal monologue stuff. The internal stuff doesn't translate very well. 

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2016, 12:52 PM by Deacon.)

EW just posted another article about the Dark Tower. Sony Pictures and MRC (they produce House of Cards for Netflix so we may be getting a streaming version here!) have signed on to produce a TV show that encapsulates Wizard and Glass and soothes my aching heart by mentioning Cort.

You say true, I say thank ya.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2016, 12:26 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:Ew just posted another article about the Dark Tower. Sony Pictures and MRC (they produce House of Cards for Netflix so we may be getting a streaming version here!) have signed on to produce a TV show that encapsulates Wizard and Glass and soothes my aching heart by mentioning Cort.

You say true, I say thank ya.
This is great news. The long running rumor was they wanted to do three cycles of movie and mini series. I really liked that idea. Netflix would be the way to go if not with HBO. 

I can't believe I just now thought of this, but you know who has to have a role in this story? Sam Elliot. Whether it's the movie, the TV series, or whatever else they try and pull off Elliot would be a great addition I think.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017, 03:31 PM by Deacon.)

Y'all see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwfqXTebIY

Thankee Sai.

Quote:Y'all see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwfqXTebIY

Thankee Sai.

It appears to be a completely different story only very loosely based on the Dark Tower series.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:It appears to be a completely different story only very loosely based on the Dark Tower series.

To me, this film takes place in The Waste Lands, where Jake tries to get back with Roland.

I have a few concerns about the movie due to this trailer.
  • I don't like how the Man in Black is perceived to kill everyone Roland knows. Walter doesn't kill people, but he does cause them to die. Subtle, yet important distinction.
  • I worry that they are merging The Gunslinger and The Waste Lands and will lose the parts about Cort, but I've talked enough about that earlier in this thread.
  • Why and how does Jake take Roland back to "Earth" without the doorways? Will we see Eddie and Susannah?
Still, I'm excited and I look forward to watching the film.

Quote:To me, this film takes place in The Waste Lands, where Jake tries to get back with Roland.

I have a few concerns about the movie due to this trailer.
  • I don't like how the Man in Black is perceived to kill everyone Roland knows. Walter doesn't kill people, but he does cause them to die. Subtle, yet important distinction.
  • I worry that they are merging The Gunslinger and The Waste Lands and will lose the parts about Cort, but I've talked enough about that earlier in this thread.
  • Why and how does Jake take Roland back to "Earth" without the doorways? Will we see Eddie and Susannah?
Still, I'm excited and I look forward to watching the film.

Agreed for the most part.  I've read the whole series.  This is very different but might still be good.  I'm a little bummed that they appear (based on the preview) to have completely skipped the first novel and maybe even the second, but we'll see.  Also, I won't comment that the guy that's playing Roland is so cast against type as to not be even remotely like the guy in the book, but again...we'll see.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

movie looks cool, never read the books but I'm interested after seeing the previews. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I saw it yesterday, was underwhelmed. I'll try to avoid spoilers, but the previews had me worrying about a CGI-fest, which turned out to be justified. It could have been worse, and some was obviously necessary, but why do they always go overboard. Roland Deschain was bad [BLEEP] enough, no need to make him into a Marvel character.

If you're a fan of the novels, don't go expecting your long awaited desire for a movie version true to them to be finally realized. It is very, VERY, loosely based on the series. It's not even a condensed version.

Idris Eba as Roland was the bright spot, he was very good, especially as a fish out of water in modern day NYC. I found myself strangely wanting Matthew McConaughey to overact a bit more as The Man in Black, but he wasn't bad.

The sad thing is this will likely be the only version of The Dark Tower we'll ever see.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(08-05-2017, 06:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I saw it yesterday, was underwhelmed. I'll try to avoid spoilers, but the previews had me worrying about a CGI-fest, which turned out to be justified. It could have been worse, and some was obviously necessary, but why do they always go overboard. Roland Deschain was bad [BLEEP] enough, no need to make him into a Marvel character.

If you're a fan of the novels, don't go expecting your long awaited desire for a movie version true to them to be finally realized. It is very, VERY, loosely based on the series. It's not even a condensed version.

Idris Eba as Roland was the bright spot, he was very good, especially as a fish out of water in modern day NYC. I found myself strangely wanting Matthew McConaughey to overact a bit more as The Man in Black, but he wasn't bad.

The sad thing is this will likely be the only version of The Dark Tower we'll ever see.

I read a review recently which seemed to confirm all my fears about how they could mess this up.  Kind of the same thing that happened to Dune, which is at least as intricate and epic.  I heard they're going try again with Dune though, so who knows?  I think to do the Dark Tower right, they'd need to give it a treatment like HBO did with "A Song of Ice and Fire", re: many seasons and a lot of money.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-20-2016, 04:16 PM)Deacon Wrote:
Quote:Wait......Randall Flagg was also a character in "The Stand" too? I've not read dark towers, I'm actually not a King fan, but I am a fan of "The Stand".

Edit: I googled it and apparently this character appears in a lot of his writings. Thanks Minorcan/Google. 

I'm not that huge of a King fan myself but the Dark Tower, and more specifically the first book The Gunslinger, are excellent reads by most any type of reader. And there are tons of cross-connections between characters and other King books from what I've been told. The Dark Tower kind of sums all of them up.

does he spend 100+ pages describing the setting?
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I liked the movie but I actually haven't read the books yet. Somehow I didn't really know about them so I'm looking forward to that.

In terms of the movie though, it was a good watch that definitely kept me entertained.

From what I've read, and to mimic what someone else said, it sounds like the movie is just a jumping off point for a TV series and sequels to further dive into the story
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(08-05-2017, 07:59 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 06:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I saw it yesterday, was underwhelmed. I'll try to avoid spoilers, but the previews had me worrying about a CGI-fest, which turned out to be justified. It could have been worse, and some was obviously necessary, but why do they always go overboard. Roland Deschain was bad [BLEEP] enough, no need to make him into a Marvel character.

I read a review recently which seemed to confirm all my fears about how they could mess this up.  Kind of the same thing that happened to Dune, which is at least as intricate and epic.  I heard they're going try again with Dune though, so who knows?  I think to do the Dark Tower right, they'd need to give it a treatment like HBO did with "A Song of Ice and Fire", re: many seasons and a lot of money.

I won't go to see it. From what I read it's more of a movie that sets the background for the series, including the creation of the Dark Tower itself, rather than being part of the story. Maybe RJ can shed more light on that.

As far as Dune goes, I liked the SciFi Channel versions of Dune, and Children of Dune (which includes the events in Dune Messiah). DVD's of both are probably available somewhere.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-05-2017, 06:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The sad thing is this will likely be the only version of The Dark Tower we'll ever see.

*looks at The Mist 2007*

*looks at The Mist TV series*

*looks at all the versions of The Shining*

*looks at all the versions of Carrie*

*looks at both versions of IT*

I wouldn't be totally sure about that.  I mean it's possible, but I could see them giving it another shot in 5-10 years.

(08-06-2017, 03:11 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 06:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The sad thing is this will likely be the only version of The Dark Tower we'll ever see.

*looks at The Mist 2007*

*looks at The Mist TV series*

*looks at all the versions of The Shining*

*looks at all the versions of Carrie*

*looks at both versions of IT*

I wouldn't be totally sure about that.  I mean it's possible, but I could see them giving it another shot in 5-10 years.

I hope you're right, I just wonder if anyone will see the value in producing something of the magnitude required to get it right. Ron Howard wanted to, but couldn't get it done. He's got a lot of push in Hollywood, if not him, then who?
- Bob Marley

(08-06-2017, 06:43 AM)Achilles Wrote: I liked the movie but I actually haven't read the books yet. Somehow I didn't really know about them so I'm looking forward to that.

In terms of the movie though, it was a good watch that definitely kept me entertained.

From what I've read, and to mimic what someone else said, it sounds like the movie is just a jumping off point for a TV series and sequels to further dive into the story

I imagine you were the actual target audience.
- Bob Marley

(08-07-2017, 05:53 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-06-2017, 06:43 AM)Achilles Wrote: I liked the movie but I actually haven't read the books yet. Somehow I didn't really know about them so I'm looking forward to that.

I imagine you were the actual target audience.

Its a definite possibility. All these books came out before I was even born, or most of them anyway. King was never one of my favorite writers, but this series seems to be more in my wheelhouse and I'm definitely looking forward to digging in now. I wouldn't really have known about their existence otherwise.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."