Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stephen King's Dark Tower, now a movie!

Quote:That would make sense although someone mentioned that Aaron Paul had been offered the part of Eddie Dean who doesn't show up until "The Drawing of the Three".

Good point.

I remember thinking "Jesse is Eddie Dean" after watching the first few episodes of Breaking Bad.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Is he going to be riding around in a Lincoln and rolling a booger between his fingers in the movie too?
Seriously. Laughing. Hard.

Quote:Good point.

I remember thinking "Jesse is Eddie Dean" after watching the first few episodes of Breaking Bad.

I think he would be a good pick to play that part although somehow I've lately also thought James Franco might do a good job with that character.  

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM by carlo.)

Quote:Anyone else check out the Dark Tower graphic novels they put out?

Yes I have the majority of them

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2016, 04:26 PM by Deacon.)

I stumbled across this article that stated Idris Elba is going to be cast as Roland. I like Elba as an actor but not as Roland. It'll be interesting to see how they try and pull this off.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I stumbled across this article that stated Idris Elba is going to be cast as Roland. I like Elba as an actor but not as Roland. It'll be interesting to see how they try and pull this off.
I think Idris Elba is a great choice personally. Obviously it changes the relationship with Detta Walker but other than that I think he can totally pull off Roland. 

Quote:I think Idris Elba is a great choice personally. Obviously it changes the relationship with Detta Walker but other than that I think he can totally pull off Roland. 

The issue that I have with him is that there are so many blatant references to Clint Eastwood throughout the book regarding Roland that it's just an obvious discontinuity. I think Elba is a fine actor, I just don't know how they are going to pull this off with him.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:The issue that I have with him is that there are so many blatant references to Clint Eastwood throughout the book regarding Roland that it's just an obvious discontinuity. I think Elba is a fine actor, I just don't know how they are going to pull this off with him.
Yeah that's true. I dunno. It's pretty interesting how people who are fans of books have their own mental pictures of characters and then when a live casting is made for that character how we all react differently. When I heard Idris Elba, I mentally saw him in old west gear firing his pistols and was like yeah that's perfect because I think his appearance is not nearly as important as his character and the gravity in the way he speaks (something Elba has in spades). In the end, I hope they do the series justice and don't try to cram too much into one movie. 

Okay, I'll say it: I never pictured Roland as black.  I'm not saying he can't pull off the part, it just wasn't what most readers envisioned. But then again, there's a smash Broadway show with a black Alexander Hamilton, so...

Quote:Okay, I'll say it: I never pictured Roland as black.  I'm not saying he can't pull off the part, it just wasn't what most readers envisioned. But then again, there's a smash Broadway show with a black Alexander Hamilton, so...

The description of him in the books made me picture Roland Deschain as a spaghetti western-era Clint Eastwood, maybe a little thinner with less facial hair and a even more intense.  Idris Elba is a fine actor, but he's probably one of the last guys I pictured in that role.  I dunno.  I'll reserve judgement for now.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Can't believe I haven't heard about this yet.

I just finished reading the series about a month ago, so this is pretty awesome.

The casting of Aaron Paul for Eddie seems perfect to me. McConaughey should be able to pull off the evil Flagg. I could have seen possibly Josh Brolin being cast as Roland, not totally sure about Idris Elba as Roland but I guess we'll just have to see how that plays out.

Welp, I'm excited to see how the hell they will pull this monster of a series off. Even if they take the approach of LoTR, 3 movies at approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours each still won't barely be able to cover all of the events and details and such from the books.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

So Entertainment Weekly rolled out a suite of articles about the movie. One concern I have is the lack of Cort in the articles. They have to have Cort in there, right? RIGHT?!?!

Quote:So Entertainment Weekly rolled out a suite of articles about the movie. One concern I have is the lack of Cort in the articles. They have to have Cort in there, right? RIGHT?!?!
this part from the article is very reassuring IMO.

King didn’t just sign off, he made his own modifications. “I took a pen and cut Roland’s dialogue to the bone,” the author says. “The less he says the better off, and why not? Idris Elba can act with his face. He’s terrific at it. He projects that sense of combined menace and security. [Roland] is the Western hero, the strong, silent type: ‘Yep,’ ‘Nope,’ and ‘Draw.’”

For me this is the most interesting bit:

By the end of the books, Roland has come into possession of an artifact known as the Horn of Eld, which (vague spoiler warning) symbolizes a cosmic reset button. Every time Roland starts the quest over again, the journey changes in big and small ways. In the movie, he already has this tool (you can see it peeking out of his bag in the image above), which means the film is not so much an adaptation as a continuation.

“The hardcore fans of The Dark Tower series will know that this is actually a sequel to the books in a way,” Arcel says. “It has a lot of the same elements, a lot of the same characters, but it is a different journey.”

Quote:For me this is the most interesting bit:

By the end of the books, Roland has come into possession of an artifact known as the Horn of Eld, which (vague spoiler warning) symbolizes a cosmic reset button. Every time Roland starts the quest over again, the journey changes in big and small ways. In the movie, he already has this tool (you can see it peeking out of his bag in the image above), which means the film is not so much an adaptation as a continuation.

“The hardcore fans of The Dark Tower series will know that this is actually a sequel to the books in a way,” Arcel says. “It has a lot of the same elements, a lot of the same characters, but it is a different journey.”
It's a really cool idea. I like it!

Quote:It's a really cool idea. I like it!

It automatically fixes any continuity issues between the film and the books

I have to admit, I'm a little worried that there is no mention of Tull nor of Cort in those articles.

Quote:For me this is the most interesting bit:

Forgive a possible dumb question, but it's been awhile since I finished the books. Was the end the first reset, or does Roland forget everything and start over?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Forgive a possible dumb question, but it's been awhile since I finished the books. Was the end the first reset, or does Roland forget everything and start over?

It didnt say it was the first reset and its very probable that it wasn'the

He forgets everything from what I remember and the journey starts again. Ka is a wheel and all that...

Quote:I have to admit, I'm a little worried that there is no mention of Tull nor of Cort in those articles.

From what I gather this isn't "The Gunslinger: The Movie" it's an introduction to the Dark Tower with planned sequals/TV series to fill in the finer details of the story