Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trading Down scenarios

As to what it would take for just one spot, I might be inclined to swap 1/2 and 32/33. In exchange for giving DET the right to pick from the entire class, we get the 5th year option on our second choice, and vice-versa.

I ain't so worried about the late picks, we have enough of those already. And if 32 ends up without anyone we really covet, a lot more teams will be willing to trade for that pick than 33 because of that 5th year. We can always shop around some more if we want to regain some value.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 04:49 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-06-2022, 04:31 PM)Mikey Wrote: As to what it would take for just one spot, I might be inclined to swap 1/2 and 32/33. In exchange for giving DET the right to pick from the entire class, we get the 5th year option on our second choice, and vice-versa.

I ain't so worried about the late picks, we have enough of those already. And if 32 ends up without anyone we really covet, a lot more teams will be willing to trade for that pick than 33 because of that 5th year. We can always shop around some more if we want to regain some value.
That’s actually pretty clutch because there could be a lot of teams willing to trade to 32 for that 5th year as well. Jets and Seahawks. Especially Seahawks if there’s a QB they like and want that 5th year.

If the Jags don't have a player they absolutely covet with the 1st pick, and are equally happy with whoever is available at pick 2, it would be a no brainer to slide down a spot and pick up whatever draft compensation was offered to them.

Odds are real long on anyone wanting to pay the price to move up to #1. Not sure but but most teams would hit #2 and #3 unless they have no other alternative. If we want to trade donw our second round pick is most likely where we will get suitors. Some player will slip to the second round that someone freaks out over ....same for our 3rd round pick
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-06-2022, 02:12 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Hypothetically, IF the Jags actually want to draft someone other than Hutchinson, and IF no one else knows this, don't you think the Jags would drop from #1 to #2 for very little in return?  If they're going to draft Neal anyway, for example, and they know they can either have (a) Neal at #1, or (b) Neal at #2 plus anything at all, don't you think they would take (b)? 

That's what I think a lot of people don't seem to understand.  Sure, they aren't going to get a blockbuster deal for the #1 overall pick.  But maybe they don't need a blockbuster deal for the #1 overall pick.

What if the Jags couldn't decide between Walker and Hutchinson?  Wouldn't they be willing to trade the #1 for #2 plus a 4th rounder, for example?  If the Jags don't have any value differential between the #1 and the #2 pick, then #2 plus a 4th rounder is worth more to them than the #1 overall pick.  Right?  

This stuff I hear on the radio about "Oh, no one is going to offer a blockbuster deal, so the Jags won't be trading the pick," is nonsense.  They don't need a blockbuster deal, because the #1 overall pick just isn't worth that much more than any other pick in the top, say 4 or 5 picks.

I understand your point.  Hypothetically, if you are completely indifferent between two prospects, you might as well trade down one spot and take whatever trade compensation you can get.  If the best you can get is a 4th rounder, it makes sense to take it.  However, you are making a lot of assumptions here.  The two players must have perfectly equal talent and equal scheme fits for your team.  If they play different positions, both positions must be equal needs and have equal positional value.  You also need to have the team drafting #2 not feeling the same way.  What logical reason is there for them to offer anything if they are also indifferent between two prospects?

As for the actual case at hand, I am not indifferent between Hutch and the next prospect.  I want Hutch.  I would like to see if Walker Little can develop before making a major investment in a left offensive tackle.  I would make an exception if there was a truly elite tackle here, but there is not.  As for other positions, we don't have a need at cornerback.  I don't like taking a safety at #2 overall as I don't feel the positional value is there.  We need a wide receiver, but none are worthy of the #2 pick.  There are a couple of edge alternatives in Walker and Thibs.  While Walker and Thibs might have Hutch's upside, I see them as much more risky and a lower floor.  I would need more compensation than a 4th rounder for me to assume that risk.  If that's the best offer we get, I would stay with Hutch.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 05:16 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-07-2022, 06:36 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 02:12 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Hypothetically, IF the Jags actually want to draft someone other than Hutchinson, and IF no one else knows this, don't you think the Jags would drop from #1 to #2 for very little in return?  If they're going to draft Neal anyway, for example, and they know they can either have (a) Neal at #1, or (b) Neal at #2 plus anything at all, don't you think they would take (b)? 

That's what I think a lot of people don't seem to understand.  Sure, they aren't going to get a blockbuster deal for the #1 overall pick.  But maybe they don't need a blockbuster deal for the #1 overall pick.

What if the Jags couldn't decide between Walker and Hutchinson?  Wouldn't they be willing to trade the #1 for #2 plus a 4th rounder, for example?  If the Jags don't have any value differential between the #1 and the #2 pick, then #2 plus a 4th rounder is worth more to them than the #1 overall pick.  Right?  

This stuff I hear on the radio about "Oh, no one is going to offer a blockbuster deal, so the Jags won't be trading the pick," is nonsense.  They don't need a blockbuster deal, because the #1 overall pick just isn't worth that much more than any other pick in the top, say 4 or 5 picks.

I understand your point.  Hypothetically, if you are completely indifferent between two prospects, you might as well trade down one spot and take whatever trade compensation you can get.  If the best you can get is a 4th rounder, it makes sense to take it.  However, you are making a lot of assumptions here.  The two players must have perfectly equal talent and equal scheme fits for your team.  If they play different positions, both positions must be equal needs and have equal positional value.  You also need to have the team drafting #2 not feeling the same way.  What logical reason is there for them to offer anything if they are also indifferent between two prospects?

As for the actual case at hand, I am not indifferent between Hutch and the next prospect.  I want Hutch.  I would like to see if Walker Little can develop before making a major investment in a left offensive tackle.  I would make an exception if there was a truly elite tackle here, but there is not.  As for other positions, we don't have a need at cornerback.  I don't like taking a safety at #2 overall as I don't feel the positional value is there.  We need a wide receiver, but none are worthy of the #2 pick.  There are a couple of edge alternatives in Walker and Thibs.  While Walker and Thibs might have Hutch's upside, I see them as much more risky and a lower floor.  I would need more compensation than a 4th rounder for me to assume that risk.  If that's the best offer we get, I would stay with Hutch.

I agree with all that.  However, it is possible the Jags have one other player they like as much as Hutchinson, and it is also possible the Lions make a last minute offer for something like that 4th round pick and the Jags do the deal.  It just depends on how much the Jags value the #1 pick.