Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big PGA Thread

Watching the tournament yesterday, it just goes to show how much better the standard PGA golf tournament format is than the LIV format. The standard PGA golf tournament format has everyone playing the course in the same exact sequence, starting on #1 and finishing on #18. The leaders come through last, and the tournament almost always ends on the 18th hole, often with one guy facing one putt to make or break his entire future. Maximum drama. In the LIV format, with the shotgun start, the winner could finish on the 17th hole, or the 16th hole. The people gathered on the 18th hole might not even see the winner at all. Granted, the shotgun start shortens the time for everyone to play, but if you don't want to watch 6 or 8 hours of PGA Tour golf, just tune in for the last 2 hours and you're sure to see all the contenders play the back 9.

LIV golf is not an improvement over PGA Tour golf at all. I think LIV needs to re-think their entire model, go to a standard 72-hole tournament so they can get world ranking points, and get rid of the shotgun starts.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-20-2024, 10:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Watching the tournament yesterday, it just goes to show how much better the standard PGA golf tournament format is than the LIV format.  The standard PGA golf tournament format has everyone playing the course in the same exact sequence, starting on #1 and finishing on #18.  The leaders come through last, and the tournament almost always ends on the 18th hole, often with one guy facing one putt to make or break his entire future.  Maximum drama.  In the LIV format, with the shotgun start, the winner could finish on the 17th hole, or the 16th hole.  The people gathered on the 18th hole might not even see the winner at all.  Granted, the shotgun start shortens the time for everyone to play, but if you don't want to watch 6 or 8 hours of PGA Tour golf, just tune in for the last 2 hours and you're sure to see all the contenders play the back 9. 

LIV golf is not an improvement over PGA Tour golf at all.  I think LIV needs to re-think their entire model, go to a standard 72-hole tournament so they can get world ranking points, and get rid of the shotgun starts.

Agree on all accounts.  That said, I'm only a moderate golf watcher when it's on in sports bars but I would not watch the LIV Tour just out of spite and I really don't miss not having LIV golfers in certain PGA tournaments.  Personally, I think its funny a lot of those players have dropped off so badly.  I mean, wasn't Cam Smith the hottest golfer prior to joining LIV?  Now, he's almost non-existent in the majors.

Scotty has to sue.

https://x.com/hodgetwins/status/17934980...XiVhw&s=19

(05-23-2024, 03:23 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Scotty has to sue.

I don’t get it.

(05-23-2024, 11:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I don’t get it.

Guessing he meant to link to the video from a light pole across the street that recently surfaced of Scottie's arrest that basically disputes most of the police report.

(05-24-2024, 11:07 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 11:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t get it.

Guessing he meant to link to the video from a light pole across the street that recently surfaced of Scottie's arrest that basically disputes most of the police report.

I haven’t seen that yet.

There's no way they can charge him at this point. In the trial, the defense would call the arresting officer to the stand, and take him apart.

https://sports.yahoo.com/louisville-poli...29744.html

"The police officer who put world No. 1 golfer Scottie Scheffler in handcuffs has a lengthy disciplinary record that includes multiple suspensions, employment records revealed Thursday."

That might be the last time a PGA tournament is played at Jailhalla.

Back in a time many moons ago, I was handcuffed in the back of a hot Louisville cop car, sprayed across the eyes with mace and then shut inside. That was miserable. Scotty got off light.

The guy is toast. He falsified an arrest report. It does not even matter he turned his body cam off. there were multiple witnesses to this. One reporter had the impression the guy fell down running at the car. The video backs that up and what Scotty has said all along. My issue is the other officers in the area also saw and have not said a word. The whole detail needs to be gone. If the city goes to trial Iwould call the other officers and make them testify too. Then show the video and ask them in public why they have remained silent.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Doubt he will, not in his nature. The police needs to issue a full apology tho.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-25-2024, 04:12 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Grayson Murray dies after withdrawing from the Schwab Challenge.

Awful and sad.

(05-25-2024, 04:16 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 04:12 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Grayson Murray dies after withdrawing from the Schwab Challenge.

Awful and sad.

Sad. I remember him mentioning his struggles after his win this year. Awful.

I had kind of guessed this but was hoping I was wrong.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/402...ed-suicide
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

According to the NC 2020 census Moore County has an official population of 99,727 (estimated at 106,898 as of 2023) people with Pinehurst being the largest community. I read earlier today that we're going to have 45K-50K people coming through here per day during the week of the US Open. That's
half our population of additional people! Hotels are booked solid and folks with listings on Airbnb are making a killing. It's crazy.

Charges against Scottie Scheffler dropped. Did anyone not see this coming?

Let’s see if the PGA ever plays a tournament at Jailhalla again.

(05-29-2024, 06:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Charges against Scottie Scheffler dropped. Did anyone not see this coming?

Is Valhalla a regular tour stop or just major venue? If just major venue, this will die down before they are in the rotation again. PGA will likely have a new comish by that time anyway. If Louisville is an annual stop, that's another issue.

(Yesterday, 07:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-29-2024, 06:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Charges against Scottie Scheffler dropped. Did anyone not see this coming?

Is Valhalla a regular tour stop or just major venue? If just major venue, this will die down before they are in the rotation again. PGA will likely have a new comish by that time anyway. If Louisville is an annual stop, that's another issue.

It's only hosting majors like the PGA Championship.  I've read a lot of criticism of the course.  The winning score was 21 under, which does not align with major championship golf.  The PGA Tour owned the course for a few years, but they sold it in 2022.

(Yesterday, 09:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(Yesterday, 07:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is Valhalla a regular tour stop or just major venue? If just major venue, this will die down before they are in the rotation again. PGA will likely have a new comish by that time anyway. If Louisville is an annual stop, that's another issue.

It's only hosting majors like the PGA Championship.  I've read a lot of criticism of the course.  The winning score was 21 under, which does not align with major championship golf.  The PGA Tour owned the course for a few years, but they sold it in 2022.

There’s that (which is reinforced by something I heard on the radio about how this course doesn’t rise to the level of a majors track) and the urgency to get Scheffler booked and his mugshot released. I smell an agenda, but that veers off into politics so I’ll stop there.

(Yesterday, 09:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(Yesterday, 07:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is Valhalla a regular tour stop or just major venue? If just major venue, this will die down before they are in the rotation again. PGA will likely have a new comish by that time anyway. If Louisville is an annual stop, that's another issue.

I didn't mind the course so much. Historically, this major doesn't focus on protecting par as much as a US Open. I loved the finishing par 5 hole, but hated the 275 yard par 3.