Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which would you do
This poll is closed.
Make Allen the highest paid defensive player in NFL history
51.35%
19 51.35%
Tag Allen
48.65%
18 48.65%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Allen Extension Poll

(01-30-2024, 02:50 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 01:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Not only that, but, how often has this franchise landed a cornerstone player in the first round and extended them to a second contract? It's extremely rare. 

This is an opportunity to not only do the right thing, but, also shake some of our past ghosts off that we've been getting chased by for quite a bit of time. 

I think since post 2000. We've resigned, what? Maybe three to four players we drafted in RD1. Maybe Marcedes Lewis and who else? I can't think of anybody else really. Eugene Monroe? Marcus Stroud? John Henderson?

It's a been awhile. It's pretty bad when you have to go back that far as well.

Blake Bortles and Tyson Alualu are the two you forgot.  Monroe did not get a second contract because he was traded.

Yeah. Not really cornerstone caliber players though. Alualu was just a guy. Bortles was a nice guy but a one year hit wonder. Lewis was at least a stout blocker and had some decent catching qualities. Stroud and Henderson back then were exactly what this team would die for now to fix this defense. 

I vaguely remember Monroe. I don't think he was great but I also don't think he was bad by any means during his career. His career was short. I just remember him and Eben Briton getting into the cannabis business or conversation post NFL.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-29-2024, 10:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 11:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Ahh so the only two possible options are either the highest paid Defensive player ever, or the tag, nothing else right? Hilarious.

And who besides you keeps spewing the "Allen's camping will only start negotiations at highest paid Defensive player ever at min".

All I've seen is Baalke's dumb [BLEEP] sayin a bunch of bull [BLEEP] about them being far off in negotiations and Allen's camp coming out and saying that's false because there has been zero contact at all between the two sides. Meaning no talk at all, let alone even negotiations starting.

TBF -

Baalke was asked where they were at in the negotiation and he said jokingly - 
"Pretty far away - because we haven't started yet."

Thank you. If guys want to bash Baalke, that's fine. But at least get the facts right.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024, 01:01 PM by snowwolf776. Edited 1 time in total.)

unforttantly josh allen won't be a jag come 2024 season.  hes gong to Denver, heres my source beloew.  

https://nostalgicbuzz.com/posts/predicti...qFmAAtQj7Q=

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(01-31-2024, 10:08 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: unforttantly josh alen won't be a jag come 2024 season.  hes gong to Denver, heres my source beloew.  

Nah

41 will be in teal for many years to come

(01-31-2024, 10:08 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: unforttantly josh alen won't be a jag come 2024 season.  hes gong to Denver, heres my source beloew.  

He gets tagged at the minimum.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-31-2024, 10:08 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: unforttantly josh allen won't be a jag come 2024 season.  hes gong to Denver, heres my source beloew.  

This is one of the worst prediction lists I've ever read
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-31-2024, 01:03 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 10:08 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: unforttantly josh allen won't be a jag come 2024 season.  hes gong to Denver, heres my source beloew.  

This is one of the worst prediction lists I've ever read

I agree. First off Josh is not signing anywhere other than here. Also what was it 4 years 80 million they had him signing for?  The Baalkie would right now type it up and drive to his agents office get him in the car and then drive to Josh's house to get that done.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Obviously going to be 30 mil a year. Y’all are funny with the 20 mil a year
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024, 05:12 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-01-2024, 04:05 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Obviously going to be 30 mil a year. Y’all are funny with the 20 mil a year

Depends on the length of the contract. Four year deal at $120M, sure. 

Just doesn't seem likely though. He's young, still in his prime. You throw him a contract that keeps him here for longer than that. I think you could easily do a six year deal worth $130M - $135M and you're eating $21M - $24M per year on average. 

Again, like any lengthy deal, you can front load it, guarantee a good chunk of it right off the giddy up and then start giving yourself an out by the time year three, year four rolls around on the contract. The longer the contract reads on paper, the easier it is to stretch the dollars out to where it's not hindering your yearly allowance cap hit wise.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024, 05:28 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-30-2024, 09:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 07:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hahahah, so now giving him an offer that would make him a top 3 edge defender and if Allens team doesn't agree on that and we just tag him is good and reasonable now?  Backpedaling at its finest Lol.   You said the Organization would lose its rep if we didn't make him the highest paid defensive player.

No I didn't, you read into what I said what you wanted to read. I said that Bosa's contract is a baseline (Webster's says "a minimum or starting point used for comparisons") for new deals and that his agents should approach it that way. You're the one who got off on the "highest paid player" and "we should just tag him" nonsense; I said hard balling your great players is bad for your reputation as a franchise, which it is. Guess you should of spent more time on reading comprehension.

Edit: As I said, an entire thread just to strawman my position without the stones to put my name in the OP. Lol.
You are the strawman, it was no strawman position.  I said I'd give him a offer yet if his camp wants to be the highest paid defensive player i would tag him.  I wouldn't make him the highest paid defensive player in the league.  That's not hard balling when you give him a fair offer, him wanting to be the highest paid player would be hard balling when he's not the best defensive player in the league.

(01-30-2024, 11:51 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 09:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No I didn't, you read into what I said what you wanted to read. I said that Bosa's contract is a baseline (Webster's says "a minimum or starting point used for comparisons") for new deals and that his agents should approach it that way. You're the one who got off on the "highest paid player" and "we should just tag him" nonsense; I said hard balling your great players is bad for your reputation as a franchise, which it is. Guess you should of spent more time on reading comprehension.

Edit: As I said, an entire thread just to strawman my position without the stones to put my name in the OP. Lol.
BUT WHAT DID BRUCE ARIANS SAY ABOUT BAP!

You might learn something son.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucs-bruce-aria...0001027837

(02-01-2024, 05:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 09:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No I didn't, you read into what I said what you wanted to read. I said that Bosa's contract is a baseline (Webster's says "a minimum or starting point used for comparisons") for new deals and that his agents should approach it that way. You're the one who got off on the "highest paid player" and "we should just tag him" nonsense; I said hard balling your great players is bad for your reputation as a franchise, which it is. Guess you should of spent more time on reading comprehension.

You are the strawman, it was no strawman position.  I said I'd give him a offer yet if his camp wants to be the highest paid defensive player i would tag him.  I wouldn't make him the highest paid defensive player in the league.  That's not hard balling when you give him a fair offer, him wanting to be the highest paid player would be hard balling when he's not the best defensive player in the league.

There's a good chance he's going to wait and see what Danielle Hunter ends up getting. Now, granted, there's a three year age difference between the two of them, but, he could use Hunter's per year average as his reference point or leverage to get exactly what he's looking for. 

Hunter's probably going to get a deal that gives him a four year contract damn near worth $85M - $95M. This would give him a pretty high yearly earning in the $21M to $23M range. I could see Josh shooting for something similar, just a little longer in contract length with obviously more value on it. 

Thus, $135M over 6 years giving him a $22M yearly average.

Just a friendly reminder to those averse to making a player "the highest paid at his position" that in 3 years that contract could easily be the 6th highest paid player at the position. (or less, obviously)

Where did you view Kirk's deal in enormity? Where does it rank among receiver contracts now?

Record deals don't hold records for long in this league and don't usually deserve the consternation they are given unless the player presents legitimate concern.
Allen did everything right in the past season to earn a top deal, he is squarely in his prime, and he has displayed admirable work ethic which is constantly praised by coaches and peers.

(02-01-2024, 05:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just a friendly reminder to those averse to making a player "the highest paid at his position" that in 3 years that contract could easily be the 6th highest paid player at the position. (or less, obviously)

Where did you view Kirk's deal in enormity? Where does it rank among receiver contracts now?

Record deals don't hold records for long in this league and don't usually deserve the consternation they are given unless the player presents legitimate concern.
Allen did everything right in the past season to earn a top deal, he is squarely in his prime, and he has displayed admirable work ethic which is constantly praised by coaches and peers.

Kirk's deal looks like a bargain now. Especially after the production he's put in over the last two years. That's with him missing a substantial amount of football with him being well on his way to probably setting new career high's. 

Have said it a few times in this thread already. By the time Josh Allen gets paid, the next wave of premier pass rushers like Micah Parsons and T.J Watt getting another extension more than likely will dwarf Allen's overall contract. 

We made Brandon Linder the highest paid Center years ago. Nobody batted an eye. That's with him having injuries off and on and I think he only played one full season.

Point is, we've seen this franchise do far worse things with money and making Josh Allen the highest paid outside backer temporarily would be by far and away one of the best decisions they have made in recent memory when it comes to keeping homegrown talent on this roster.

Pay him

Prediction, you say?  If you like that one, Clubber Lang has one for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024, 08:45 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 3 times in total.)

(01-30-2024, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 02:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: Blake Bortles and Tyson Alualu are the two you forgot.  Monroe did not get a second contract because he was traded.

Yeah. Not really cornerstone caliber players though. Alualu was just a guy. Bortles was a nice guy but a one year hit wonder. Lewis was at least a stout blocker and had some decent catching qualities. Stroud and Henderson back then were exactly what this team would die for now to fix this defense. 

I vaguely remember Monroe. I don't think he was great but I also don't think he was bad by any means during his career. His career was short. I just remember him and Eben Briton getting into the cannabis business or conversation post NFL.

Eben Britton was the guy that said he was gonna make all the other 31 teams pay for passing on him or some such.  When questioned about it, an anonymous NFL GM was quoted as saying "Who?"