Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 NFL combine thread

(03-07-2022, 10:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 10:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I thought he would of ran a faster 40

A 4.59/40 is not bad for a Safety. It was just a few short years ago when average Safeties ran something closer to like 4.7/40's and a 4.59 would be considered extremely fast. Safeties just keep getting quicker though. A 4.59 for a Safety is kinda like a CB running a 4.5 flat. It's not bad, it's just not especially impressive compared to other players. Take into account Hamilton's size, technique and amazing instincts and he's still an elite top 5-10 player in this draft.
But to be a top 10 pick I think he should of ran a 4.4.  I like him alot but I don't think he's as good as Eric Berry or Jamal Adams as a prospect

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-07-2022, 11:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 10:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: A 4.59/40 is not bad for a Safety. It was just a few short years ago when average Safeties ran something closer to like 4.7/40's and a 4.59 would be considered extremely fast. Safeties just keep getting quicker though. A 4.59 for a Safety is kinda like a CB running a 4.5 flat. It's not bad, it's just not especially impressive compared to other players. Take into account Hamilton's size, technique and amazing instincts and he's still an elite top 5-10 player in this draft.
But to be a top 10 pick I think he should of ran a 4.4.  I like him alot but I don't think he's as good as Eric Berry or Jamal Adams as a prospect

Safeties don't have to run 4.4/40's to be successful. Justin Simmons ran a 4.61/40, Marcus Williams ran a 4.56/40, Jessie Bates ran a 4.5/40, Jamal Adams ran a 4.56/40 at the Combine, Tyrann Mathieu ran a 4.50/40 at the Combine. Hamilton is so instinctive and is so good in coverage that it makes up for any speed issues he may have.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 01:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-07-2022, 01:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 11:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: But to be a top 10 pick I think he should of ran a 4.4.  I like him alot but I don't think he's as good as Eric Berry or Jamal Adams as a prospect

Safeties don't have to run 4.4/40's to be successful. Justin Simmons ran a 4.61/40, Marcus Williams ran a 4.56/40, Jessie Bates ran a 4.5/40, Jamal Adams ran a 4.56/40 at the Combine, Tyrann Mathieu ran a 4.50/40 at the Combine. Hamilton is so instinctive and is so good in coverage that it makes up for any speed issues he may have.
I never said they did.  I'm saying if I take a Safety in the top 5 I want him to have a faster 40 than a 4.59

(03-07-2022, 01:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 01:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Safeties don't have to run 4.4/40's to be successful. Justin Simmons ran a 4.61/40, Marcus Williams ran a 4.56/40, Jessie Bates ran a 4.5/40, Jamal Adams ran a 4.56/40 at the Combine, Tyrann Mathieu ran a 4.50/40 at the Combine. Hamilton is so instinctive and is so good in coverage that it makes up for any speed issues he may have.
I never said they did.  I'm saying if I take a Safety in the top 5 I want him to have a faster 40 than a 4.59

To each their own. You'd be missing out on a great player.

After the combine… it’s Hutch. Really expected Kayvon to blow up the combine… disappointing he just stopped doing drills. Take Hutch.

(03-07-2022, 02:08 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: After the combine… it’s Hutch. Really expected Kayvon to blow up the combine… disappointing he just stopped doing drills. Take Hutch.

He said it was a long day, was tired I guess.  What if it's a game that goes into OT, and it's a long game.  Is he going to just give up because it's a long long game.  I don't want Thibs after that and it matches what people said about his interviews

(03-07-2022, 02:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 02:08 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: After the combine… it’s Hutch. Really expected Kayvon to blow up the combine… disappointing he just stopped doing drills. Take Hutch.

He said it was a long day, was tired I guess.  What if it's a game that goes into OT, and it's a long game.  Is he going to just give up because it's a long long game.  I don't want Thibs after that and it matches what people said about his interviews

Agreed.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 02:35 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

He said he was going to dobthe drills. He didn't know rge combine was a long day? I call BS

What a foolish excuse to come out with...  His day wasn't any longer than anyone else's.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 03:49 PM by Upper.)

A ton of players that did the bench skipped out on the other drills. They all said it's really hard to try to max out strength in a day and then hours later perform at your fastest. Notice that Hutch skipped the bench.

Instead of separating the days by position they should separate them by drills. Day 1 do the 40. Day 2 do the jumps. Day 3 do the agility. Day 4 do the bench (and they should add the squat).

The players would like that much better, and I bet you'd get much more participation and better results.

(03-07-2022, 03:49 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 02:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He said it was a long day, was tired I guess.  What if it's a game that goes into OT, and it's a long game.  Is he going to just give up because it's a long long game.  I don't want Thibs after that and it matches what people said about his interviews

A ton of players that did the bench skipped out on the other drills. They all said it's really hard to try to max out strength in a day and then hours later perform at your fastest. Notice that Hutch skipped the bench.

Instead of separating the days by position they should separate them by drills. Day 1 do the 40. Day 2 do the jumps. Day 3 do the agility. Day 4 do the bench (and they should add the squat).

The players would like that much better, and I bet you'd get much more participation and better results.

I'd rather see a guy do all the drills at 90% than one drill at 100%.

You get a better idea of a total player when you see them pushed to their limit. Not like mid-game they're gonna stop play because one guy's arms are tired, or you're not gonna have to line up right after a 40-yard bomb during a two-minute drill.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 05:34 PM by Upper. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-07-2022, 05:17 PM)Mikey Wrote: I'd rather see a guy do all the drills at 90% than one drill at 100%.

You get a better idea of a total player when you see them pushed to their limit. Not like mid-game they're gonna stop play because one guy's arms are tired, or you're not gonna have to line up right after a 40-yard bomb during a two-minute drill.

You may rather see that, but all it means is you're going to see more guys skip drills. 33 DL ran 40s and only 6 did 3 cones, for example. I have a feeling if we crosschecked the ones that did the 3 cone none of them did the bench too. Just looked and my presumption was right. zero players did both the bench and 3 cone.

I'd much rather see them all do all the drills at 100% than see all of them do one drill and then like 1/5 of them do a couple of the other drills and most skip them.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 06:06 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-07-2022, 05:17 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 03:49 PM)Upper Wrote: A ton of players that did the bench skipped out on the other drills. They all said it's really hard to try to max out strength in a day and then hours later perform at your fastest. Notice that Hutch skipped the bench.

I'd rather see a guy do all the drills at 90% than one drill at 100%.

Exactly

(03-07-2022, 03:49 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 02:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He said it was a long day, was tired I guess.  What if it's a game that goes into OT, and it's a long game.  Is he going to just give up because it's a long long game.  I don't want Thibs after that and it matches what people said about his interviews

Did Hutch say he was going to do the bench?   Like big Serc said earlier, if you're going to skip drills and do them on your pro day then fine, but don't say you're going to do all the drills and there to compete and then skip them because it's been a long day.

(03-07-2022, 06:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did Hutch say he was going to do the bench?   Like big Serc said earlier, if you're going to skip drills and do them on your pro day then fine, but don't say you're going to do all the drills and there to compete and then skip them because it's been a long day.

He probably didn't realize how much lifting a whopping 6 thousand and 75 pounds in a matter of minutes would take a toll on him for the rest of the day. My god you're being so petty. Not a single player that did a bench press did an agility drill. Why is Thibs the only villain here?

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022, 08:14 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-07-2022, 07:13 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 06:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did Hutch say he was going to do the bench?   Like big Serc said earlier, if you're going to skip drills and do them on your pro day then fine, but don't say you're going to do all the drills and there to compete and then skip them because it's been a long day.

He probably didn't realize how much lifting a whopping 6 thousand and 75 pounds in a matter of minutes would take a toll on him for the rest of the day. My god you're being so petty. Not a single player that did a bench press did an agility drill. Why is Thibs the only villain here?

Are you his girl or something?  "Don't talk about my baby"  lol.  Did anyone else say they were going to do all the drills and back out because it was a long day? You're oblivious even after this and the reports. If he didn't train for the combine and didn't know what he was getting himself into is another red flag.  You're the only one on here that thinks it's nothing when he does that, big Leon Searcy even agrees. You're one of the very few that has seen no red flags with him.  After the reports that some question his work ethic and then he done that he just showed another reason why there is a concern

I said at the time when he stopped doing the drills that I wasn't a fan that he skipped everything after the 40. Then I saw the 3 cone times come in and saw that only 6 people out of the whole group did the 3 cone, and zero of those six did the bench press. Then it made it extremely funny that some people want to find a flaw in a guy so bad that they will single him out for basically doing the same thing everyone else did.

(03-07-2022, 05:30 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 05:17 PM)Mikey Wrote: I'd rather see a guy do all the drills at 90% than one drill at 100%.

You may rather see that, but all it means is you're going to see more guys skip drills. 33 DL ran 40s and only 6 did 3 cones, for example. I have a feeling if we crosschecked the ones that did the 3 cone none of them did the bench too. Just looked and my presumption was right. zero players did both the bench and 3 cone.

I'd much rather see them all do all the drills at 100% than see all of them do one drill and then like 1/5 of them do a couple of the other drills and most skip them.

My assumption is that the ground-breaking 40 time is 100%. If that burns out the motor, take it a notch down, knowing that you have other drills to do. You might not break the combine record for a needless drill (how often is Jordan Davis gonna be asked to run a 40-yard sprint in a game?), but putting up well-rounded numbers in a variety of drills is going to give teams a better idea of who you are.

What we're seeing is guys going for 100% or as close to that edge as possible in one drill, and then having nothing left for the rest.

A good example is that safety out of PSU - set the mark for DBs on the bench at like 22, hurt his back and couldn't do anything else. Maybe put up 17, 18, show that you're still fresh in every rep, rack the weights and head over and knock out a cone drill when your number is called. Don't go so hard that you've got your ankles on ice, because in a while you have to do verticals. Guys not being able to manage their own bodies is a scoutable facet of this past weekend, too.

You think players should want to make the teams they are auditioning for think they are weaker or slower than they really are by pacing themselves? Gotta say, I don't think that is good career advice.