Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2024 - NFL Draft - Wish List

(04-19-2024, 12:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 09:15 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: It’s refreshing coming on here after seeing all the Facebook posts wanting to trade everything to way move up for Rome or Nabers. They will be stars, no doubt, but it’s absolutely the wrong move for this team right now. I think the casual fan just wants the offseason entertainment “high” of making a move like that but then will be clamoring for Baalke to be fired when we don’t roster the best possible TEAM this fall and the glaring holes start to show.

A top end talent at corner is a must for this team as well as seriously beefing up both lines, pun intended. I know Baalke is a touchy subject but he’s done a solid job and after listening to him yesterday, two things became clear to me.  1, we aren’t trading way up for a receiver and 2, I’m comfortable with him calling the shots right now.

Now, with all that said, if Rome is still sitting there at 14, I’ll just say I’m glad I don’t have the pressure of making that call because the conundrum builds, haha. Go Jags.

If he's there at 14 you make an offer.  Fair value per the chart would be giving up our 3rd and one of our 4ths to move up the 3 spots.  I'd strongly consider doing that.  If it involves the 2nd rounder, no.
Agree.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-18-2024, 05:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 04:09 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Curious. How many rosters spot are realistically up for grabs?

Most of the Jags day 3 picks would probably be fighting to make a practice squad.

Realistically? I think you can easily make a case for the following for sure:

DEFENSE:
CB2
NICKEL CB
DT2
DT3
EDGE3
EDGE4

OFFENSE:

WR1
WR3
C1
C2
LT1
SWING TACKLE
RG1

That's at least thirteen spots up for grabs in my opinion as that's where our biggest question marks remain today and with looming contract's expiring. We absolutely need competition for the rotational components to this football team. It was overwhelmingly bad at times with how lack luster the depth was.

I am not convinced that guys like Darby & Johnson in the secondary should be guaranteed jobs. As Baalke has a historical knack for consistently targeting secondary players via the draft. The entire front four still needs work. Armstead, Allen & Walker are not enough. 

We need Hamilton to step up. We need Robertson-Harris to step up. We need Lacy and Abdullah from last year's class to step up. I think they will still pursue a promising pair of DT's or EDGE rushers in this draft again like last year to add more competition as potential rotational pieces. 

Offensively, take your pick. Morse is a stop gap solution. Fortner was benched for a 10 year veteran. We could be looking for an immediate long term solution in this draft next week. Same can be said for the LT and Swing Tackle positions. Robinson and Little are not durable and neither guy is guaranteed to be back in 2025.

Scherff is on his last leg in Jacksonville. RG is a bigger need and hole than most people care to admit while being in awestruck with this year's receiving class. Speaking of receivers. While we added Davis. We still need a Ridley type receiver, and, we have Kirk and Jones coming back from injuries. 

Zay needs competition. Kirk needs another body outside of just Davis to help him thrive as a slot receiver. There's plenty of work to do with this roster in my opinion. Baalke and Co. better leave no stone unturned next weekend. A lot of jobs are on the line in my opinion.

(04-19-2024, 08:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 04:09 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Curious. How many rosters spot are realistically up for grabs?

Most of the Jags day 3 picks would probably be fighting to make a practice squad.

Depends. if a lot of the young guys at the bottom of our roster don't fit the new DC's scheme, they may be odd men out unless they excel at ST coverage

Even then, they'd have to be an ace to stay on the roster over a new guy who fits scheme and can run downfield in a hurry on a punt or kickoff.

Always be gettin better. Probably 10-15 spots where we could say it's bubble/competition. You can always stash a guy on IR if the class is deep at a position and an unfortunate ankle sprain in the film room happens...

That makes sense. I could easily see 10-15 spots being in the balance/up for grabs right now.

I think I'm just skeptical from Baalke's recent history of day 3 picks and some of the draftniks/talking heads harping on the day 3 guys will be much more projects or guys to fill very specific roles on teams rather than guys that can be expected to be at least semi-reliable depth for a playoff team.

I'm thinking imagine more of those spots being filled by currently unsigned FA's or other team's cap casualties during camp rather than day 3 or un-drafted rookies.

I do completely agree, that this team/franchise really needs depth given the knack injury luck in past years and to future proof the team as you expect to replace the higher-priced FA from the the past few years.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2024, 08:32 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Guard i want in the 3rd or 4th

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1764...63?lang=en

https://twitter.com/clayharbs82/status/1...asurements

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2024, 08:37 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

RB i want. He can be our goaline back if Tank cant get it together this year and he has the speed to break one and take it to the house

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1764...24?lang=en

(04-19-2024, 12:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 09:15 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: It’s refreshing coming on here after seeing all the Facebook posts wanting to trade everything to way move up for Rome or Nabers. They will be stars, no doubt, but it’s absolutely the wrong move for this team right now. I think the casual fan just wants the offseason entertainment “high” of making a move like that but then will be clamoring for Baalke to be fired when we don’t roster the best possible TEAM this fall and the glaring holes start to show.

A top end talent at corner is a must for this team as well as seriously beefing up both lines, pun intended. I know Baalke is a touchy subject but he’s done a solid job and after listening to him yesterday, two things became clear to me.  1, we aren’t trading way up for a receiver and 2, I’m comfortable with him calling the shots right now.

Now, with all that said, if Rome is still sitting there at 14, I’ll just say I’m glad I don’t have the pressure of making that call because the conundrum builds, haha. Go Jags.

If he's there at 14 you make an offer.  Fair value per the chart would be giving up our 3rd and one of our 4ths to move up the 3 spots.  I'd strongly consider doing that.  If it involves the 2nd rounder, no.

No way I'm trading up in this draft, this roster it just too weak to give up 3 players for 1.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-19-2024, 09:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 12:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If he's there at 14 you make an offer.  Fair value per the chart would be giving up our 3rd and one of our 4ths to move up the 3 spots.  I'd strongly consider doing that.  If it involves the 2nd rounder, no.

No way I'm trading up in this draft, this roster it just too weak to give up 3 players for 1.

This is a league driven by stars. We do not have enough of them. I think Rome is going to be a star. I'd give up what's needed to have him on my team.

(04-19-2024, 09:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 12:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If he's there at 14 you make an offer.  Fair value per the chart would be giving up our 3rd and one of our 4ths to move up the 3 spots.  I'd strongly consider doing that.  If it involves the 2nd rounder, no.

I second that. Baalkie does that and he will need to begin interviewing for a job after mid season.  We need our second, third and 2 fourths.  That is unless we want to get our line's butts kicked again.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2024, 06:26 AM by Jags32250.)

(04-19-2024, 09:55 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 09:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No way I'm trading up in this draft, this roster it just too weak to give up 3 players for 1.

I second that. Baalkie does that and he will need to begin interviewing for a job after mid season.  We need our second, third and 2 fourths.  That is unless we want to get our line's butts kicked again.
Exactly right.

(04-19-2024, 09:52 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 09:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No way I'm trading up in this draft, this roster it just too weak to give up 3 players for 1.

This is a league driven by stars. We do not have enough of them. I think Rome is going to be a star. I'd give up what's needed to have him on my team.
Then what do you propose we do with glaring deficiencies along both lines and at corner? FA is over for this team for getting difference makers.

Get a shiny new WR or give this team the best chance to win games, I think it’s really that simple and what Baalke was hinting at, reading between the lines.

You can get a star at 17 and in the 2nd

What difference does having a star receiver make if your quarterback is flat on his [BLEEP]?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-20-2024, 09:05 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 09:52 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: This is a league driven by stars. We do not have enough of them. I think Rome is going to be a star. I'd give up what's needed to have him on my team.

What difference does having a star receiver make if your quarterback is flat on his [BLEEP]?
He gets to shine in garbage time.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We can agree to disagree. If we had to give up our 1st and 2nd to move up to move up 7 spots to grab Rome if be all for it. Can still grab an O lineman in the 3rd or 4th and I don't believe corner is that glaring of a need where we need a top 2 pick this year to address it either.

(04-20-2024, 10:03 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: We can agree to disagree. If we had to give up our 1st and 2nd to move up to move up 7 spots to grab Rome if be all for it. Can still grab an O lineman in the 3rd or 4th and I don't believe corner is that glaring of a need where we need a top 2 pick this year to address it either.

Nothing personal, but I am glad you will not be in the draft room. Probably a good thing I am not either...lol
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I’d prefer a big body at 17 but just has the feel it will be Terrion Arnold (unless they trade out) and I’m ok with it. Hopefully at least two big uglies between rounds 2 and 4. Build that Duval Wall baby, both sides of the ball!

I dont get the obsession with WR.
Havent you learned anything from last two seasons ?

You can have great receivers, if your QB doesn't have time to throw the ball, your WRs will run for nothing.

We need to keep our picks and find a way to improve both trenches.

(04-20-2024, 11:08 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: I dont get the obsession with WR.
Havent you learned anything from last two seasons ?

You can have great receivers, if your QB doesn't have time to throw the ball, your WRs will run for nothing.

We need to keep our picks and find a way to improve both trenches.

^

yes

Trusting Baalke to improve the line when he’s the one who got us this garbage line in the first place…..

Only way I can understand trading up at all is if they are giving up picks from 2025, even that is pretty risky as you could argue the 25 draft is as if not more important for the long term success of this team when Lawrence is getting paid. Especially, because this is supposed to be a super deep WR draft and Baalke never drafts WR high, and that would be the main position to trade up to get a player from a higher tier than would fall to 17. 

Trading up on day 2 makes a whole lot more sense though.

(04-19-2024, 08:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: RB i want. He can be our goaline back if Tank cant get it together this year and he has the speed to break one and take it to the house

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1764...24?lang=en

I don't disregard RAS scores, but there's got to be more to it than just relying on that one metric.  I honestly don't know how this guy tests so well athletically.  He has no wiggle or shiftiness in his game from what I've watched.  I don't see overly athletic, but the score would perhaps lead some to believe otherwise.  And I didn't see a bulldozer necessarily either.  Just a straight line runner.  He does have goal line back size though, so perhaps you're right in that aspect.  I think Tank's role grows this year though.  I know the sample size of looking at his last couple of games last year is small, but he was running well at that time in my eyes.  Pederson also said this offseason that they need to get Tank going this season.

One RB, in my opinion, that is projected as a later round guy that I believe will be good in this league is Ray Davis.  May not be first year good if his pass blocking isn't where it needs to be coming into the league, but even if it isn't, I can see him develop kinda like Kyren Williams in a year or so.  I was pretty high on Kyren when he came out as well and consensus as I remember was not.

Ray is a do it all back.  He has great vision and quickness.  Makes good, quick decisions, but also shows patience when needed.  He can catch the ball as a check down or screen but also had several highlights where he ran routes down field making impressive grabs.  He has sufficient size and speed as well.  I don't think we necessarily take him, but I think he will be good for whoever does.

(04-20-2024, 11:26 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Trusting Baalke to improve the line when he’s the one who got us this garbage line in the first place…..

When I listened to Baalke's presser and the number of times he harped on getting bigger and stronger in the trenches, I'm nearly 100% convinced he is unhappy drafting the "finesse guys" that Doug has mandated him to place on that OL. (interior especially) I think he wants to draft guys that can move DTs - not dance around them in an overly-elaborate zone blocking scheme. 

I'm inclined to put the OL rostering issues equally on the shoulders of the HC and GM. Ido not excuse Doug and his scheme - or his desired traits- from this problem. 

I think if Doug ran more Gap and didn't ask for these super "athletic" linemen we'd have seen the Jags not pass on guys like Torrence and Dawand Jones. 

Yes, there is a lot of speculation in this little theory, but the way Doug harps on athleticism in his linemen and the way Trent had never seemed enthused by any of their OL moves except Anton Harrison, coupled with both HC and GM making comments about rethinking the complexity of their run blocking scheme - all of this has me pretty convinced this is how it went down. 

They got too cute and it bit them in the [BLEEP].