Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We should draft Jahan Dotson with pick 33..

I have looked at 4 or 5 big boards today, I haven't seen a single TE in anyone's top 60. McBride or any other TE at 33 would be disastrous.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-30-2022, 06:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 04:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm all for moving up to get one of the op WRs or maybe even Linderbaum, but not that far up.

I'm getting a feeling that even if a guy like Dotson is there for us at 33, if a guy like Zion or Linderbaum is there at 33, they draft them over a WR.

...as they should.

Man, if Linderbaum could fall to 33

(03-30-2022, 09:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 09:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That would be ideal, but will Baalke be willing to trade up that far to get Jameson Williams? It'll cost a lot. I personally don't care what it cost if he gets it done, but I'd rather keep our 2023 first round pick.

I hat this line of thinking.  It's almost a guarantee there will be a Pro Bowl level type players at 33 and some really good players at the top of 3 not to mention the high picks we would give up for next year's draft. If he's good he will be able to stay at 33 and hit on that pick.  If Williams doesn't turn out to be a true number 1 we just set ourselves back that much further with all the picks we traded away.

(03-29-2022, 11:41 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I think we would all love that, but I see him creeping up in many mock drafts -- even going as high as 12.

Would take a decent amount of capital to go up that high to get him.

Yeah, we definitely don't need to move up that far.  There will be a stud or 2 that falls to 33 and we need to take that player.  I honestly think that first pick in the 3rd is where we need to move up from if we can go up and get a guy like McBride who I think Doug would love

Yes, because sitting upon our dragon's hoard of picks has worked so well so far.

If there is a player you want, you go get him.  This isn't rocket science.  Obviously, if the cost isn't prohibitive, it's worth it to get players with elite traits over maybe pro bowlers.

(03-31-2022, 10:06 AM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 09:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I hat this line of thinking.  It's almost a guarantee there will be a Pro Bowl level type players at 33 and some really good players at the top of 3 not to mention the high picks we would give up for next year's draft. If he's good he will be able to stay at 33 and hit on that pick.  If Williams doesn't turn out to be a true number 1 we just set ourselves back that much further with all the picks we traded away.

Yeah, we definitely don't need to move up that far.  There will be a stud or 2 that falls to 33 and we need to take that player.  I honestly think that first pick in the 3rd is where we need to move up from if we can go up and get a guy like McBride who I think Doug would love

Yes, because sitting upon our dragon's hoard of picks has worked so well so far.

If there is a player you want, you go get him.  This isn't rocket science.  Obviously, if the cost isn't prohibitive, it's worth it to get players with elite traits over maybe pro bowlers.
I said this a while back but draft picks are vastly overrated.

(03-31-2022, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 10:06 AM)Khan Artist Wrote: Yes, because sitting upon our dragon's hoard of picks has worked so well so far.

I said this a while back but draft picks are vastly overrated.

If there's one thing the Ramsey trade should've taught us it was this.  The return was amazing, and it's not like Ramsey would put us over the top, but would you rather have Jalen or Chaisson and Etienne?  For me it's Jalen and it isn't close.

Yeah a sure elite player is hard top, but long term have to hit on draft picks to sustain success.

(03-31-2022, 10:54 AM)Newton Wrote: Yeah a sure elite player is hard top, but long term have to hit on draft picks to sustain success.
I think there's more than one way to build a roster and it needs to be a combination of both.

But my main point is that having a ton of draft picks doesn't help the team if they refuse to use those draft picks to acquire better players. The Jags have 12 picks in this draft. Are they really going to draft 12 players? Or is the best scenario one where they take a group of those picks and trade up for a more elite prospect?

(03-31-2022, 11:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 10:54 AM)Newton Wrote: Yeah a sure elite player is hard top, but long term have to hit on draft picks to sustain success.
I think there's more than one way to build a roster and it needs to be a combination of both.

But my main point is that having a ton of draft picks doesn't help the team if they refuse to use those draft picks to acquire better players. The Jags have 12 picks in this draft. Are they really going to draft 12 players? Or is the best scenario one where they take a group of those picks and trade up for a more elite prospect?

Yes. I’d rather they package the 6th and 7th rounders to move up to the 4th or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(03-31-2022, 09:36 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 06:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm getting a feeling that even if a guy like Dotson is there for us at 33, if a guy like Zion or Linderbaum is there at 33, they draft them over a WR.

...as they should.
Not prepared to go that far.  I agree either of the linemen I mentioned above would be good pick at 33, I won't say they would be better picks than any WR who might be available at the same spot.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-31-2022, 01:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 09:36 AM)Mikey Wrote: ...as they should.
Not prepared to go that far.  I agree either of the linemen I mentioned above would be good pick at 33, I won't say they would be better picks than any WR who might be available at the same spot.

But you didn't say any WR, you said Dotson.

I don't see him as elite or anyone that I'm running to the podium to select. If Zion or Linderbaum are still available at the end of round 1, I'm camping out overnight beside the podium with one of those names on my card.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 05:03 PM by ATLjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

I personally would love to add a stud WR to play an X role, and pick 33 is a good spot for it. However, my thinking now is Baalke (and his ego) will not take a WR with a day 1 or 2 pick, as he has personally chosen and invested significantly in 3 free agent WRs during his brief GM tenure. He has paid starting money to Christian Kirk and Zay Jones early in this free agency period, and Marvin Jones has one more year with an $8.7m cap hit (along with guaranteed money and large deadcap). My gut is leaning towards a "meat and potatoes" type of day 1 and 2, such as Edge Aidan Hutchinson (1), ILB Leo Chenal (2), OG/OT Jamaree Salyer (3a), and OC/OG Dylan Parham (3b). I would envision them in this scenario using day 3 capital to add an upside WR such as Kevin Austin, Danny Gray, or the like.

(03-31-2022, 10:06 AM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 09:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I hat this line of thinking.  It's almost a guarantee there will be a Pro Bowl level type players at 33 and some really good players at the top of 3 not to mention the high picks we would give up for next year's draft. If he's good he will be able to stay at 33 and hit on that pick.  If Williams doesn't turn out to be a true number 1 we just set ourselves back that much further with all the picks we traded away.

I didn't say keep all the picks, I'd rather trade up from the 3rd back into the 2nd.  There will be a player at 33 with elite traits, there is every year we have just had the wrong GM all these years.  There are a ton of other teams that actually know what to do with those picks.we can get a stud at 33, get another in the 2nd and keep our 1st next year.

(03-31-2022, 05:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 10:06 AM)Khan Artist Wrote: Yes, because sitting upon our dragon's hoard of picks has worked so well so far.

I didn't say keep all the picks, I'd rather trade up from the 3rd back into the 2nd.  There will be a player at 33 with elite traits, there is every year we have just had the wrong GM all these years.  There are a ton of other teams that actually know what to do with those picks.we can get a stud at 33, get another in the 2nd and keep our 1st next year.
The Jags have the same GM as last year so what’s different?

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 07:11 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-31-2022, 10:50 AM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I said this a while back but draft picks are vastly overrated.

If there's one thing the Ramsey trade should've taught us it was this.  The return was amazing, and it's not like Ramsey would put us over the top, but would you rather have Jalen or Chaisson and Etienne?  For me it's Jalen and it isn't close.

We just had the wrong GM making the picks.  All Dave had to do was look at mel Kipers board and we could of had Wirfs and JJ.  I'd the JJ alone over Ramsey not even counting the other 1st and 4th., not to mention  the huge contract you would be saving during JJ first 4 or 5 years

(03-31-2022, 02:14 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 01:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Not prepared to go that far.  I agree either of the linemen I mentioned above would be good pick at 33, I won't say they would be better picks than any WR who might be available at the same spot.

But you didn't say any WR, you said Dotson.

I don't see him as elite or anyone that I'm running to the podium to select. If Zion or Linderbaum are still available at the end of round 1, I'm camping out overnight beside the podium with one of those names on my card.

That is fair.

I unconsciously read into your statement the bias against WRs many posters have exhibited over the years.

You did not exemplify that mindset here.

Mea culpa.

(03-30-2022, 08:31 PM)Upper Wrote: I have looked at 4 or 5 big boards today, I haven't seen a single TE in anyone's top 60. McBride or any other TE at 33 would be disastrous.

Taking that at face value for the moment, if TE is to be a target area in this draft, not taking a TE at 33 does not necessarily mean waiting until 65 or 70 to take a TE.  Assuming there is a consensus top two TEs among NFL teams, and assuming the Jaguars are targeting one of those two, it may be advisable to trade up into the bottom of the 2nd round to land one of them.

This is my own baseless speculation here, but I think the Chiefs are employing a deliberate strategy in reducing costs in the future and replenishing the offense and, as counterintuitive as it sounds, helping to continue Patrick Mahomes' growth.

Mahomes has been a wildly successful QB in his relatively short career.  Naturally his stellar play earned him a brand new and hefty contract (IIRC, it's a $500 million over 10 years when signeed).  As you might expect, it will have a major impact on the roster as time goes on, and the trade of Tyreek Hill is a symptom of that.  Additionally, TE Travis Kelce will be 32 this year.  The Chiefs will need to start looking for his replacement really soon, not only to cut costs, but to get younger at the position.

But I also think there is a tertiary component to this strategy.  Finding a WR with Tyreek Hill's skillset isn't very easy at all.  Whenever Mahomes needed a big play offensively, he would use his amazing arm to hit the amazing Hill on a deep pass. But if you look at the bulk of KC's losses the past, whether it was early in the year when teams started playing deeper and forcing things downfield, or late in the year in the losses to Tampa in the Super bowl and to Cincinnati in the AFC Championship game, Mahomes had problems playing hero ball.  Instead of hitting more high percentage passes, Mahomes would go for the big play, and against Cincy, the offense bogged down in the 2nd half of that game because of it.  As great as Mahomes has been, this penchant for pursuing the big play has gotten him in trouble, and as the team continues in the post Tyreek era, he will have to adjust his way pf thinking.  I think KC will add a TE to help facilitate this change in his game and reduce some of the pressure on him.

Kansas City taking a guy like McBride would go a long way into meeting all of the objectives listed above.  Assuming they keep Kelce in the next year or two, a guy like McBride would enable the team to groom Kelce's replacement and get younger at the position, and will enable the Chiefs to reduce salary and get younger down the road.  Adding McBride would make KC's offense more versatile and controlled.  Without the cheetah's blinding speed to bail him out, Mahomes will have to function more in the short to intermediate areas.  Additionally at least in the shorter term, Adding McBride to Kelce in 2 TE sets will give the Chiefs more offensive balance.  There were times where the Chiefs couldn't pound the ball when needed (rare though those instances may have been).  McBride and Kelce in 12 personnel would enable them to do that.  Now that the Chiefs have two first round picks and two second round picks, I could easily see the Chiefs address WR and CB in the first round and TE and another need in the 2nd round.

Based on these factors, it may be advisable to move up ahead of KC's pick at 62 if McBride is a target of ours.  Doing so if the price to move up (or back from 33) is right and would not be a disaster.

(03-31-2022, 10:50 AM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I said this a while back but draft picks are vastly overrated.

I wish we still had Jalen, but I also wish we had a GM who knew what he was doing with the picks. In 2020 as the draft went along, I wanted Wirfs at 9, we took CJ. I wanted Justin Jefferson at 20, we took Chaisson.

ETN obviously hasn't played so.. can't judge that yet, but man imagine had we gotten Wirfs and Justin Jefferson over CJ and Chaisson.. fml

(04-01-2022, 01:09 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 08:31 PM)Upper Wrote: I have looked at 4 or 5 big boards today, I haven't seen a single TE in anyone's top 60. McBride or any other TE at 33 would be disastrous.

Taking that at face value for the moment, if TE is to be a target area in this draft, not taking a TE at 33 does not necessarily mean waiting until 65 or 70 to take a TE.  Assuming there is a consensus top two TEs among NFL teams, and assuming the Jaguars are targeting one of those two, it may be advisable to trade up into the bottom of the 2nd round to land one of them.

This is my own baseless speculation here, but I think the Chiefs are employing a deliberate strategy in reducing costs in the future and replenishing the offense and, as counterintuitive as it sounds, helping to continue Patrick Mahomes' growth.

Mahomes has been a wildly successful QB in his relatively short career.  Naturally his stellar play earned him a brand new and hefty contract (IIRC, it's a $500 million over 10 years when signeed).  As you might expect, it will have a major impact on the roster as time goes on, and the trade of Tyreek Hill is a symptom of that.  Additionally, TE Travis Kelce will be 32 this year.  The Chiefs will need to start looking for his replacement really soon, not only to cut costs, but to get younger at the position.

But I also think there is a tertiary component to this strategy.  Finding a WR with Tyreek Hill's skillset isn't very easy at all.  Whenever Mahomes needed a big play offensively, he would use his amazing arm to hit the amazing Hill on a deep pass. But if you look at the bulk of KC's losses the past, whether it was early in the year when teams started playing deeper and forcing things downfield, or late in the year in the losses to Tampa in the Super bowl and to Cincinnati in the AFC Championship game, Mahomes had problems playing hero ball.  Instead of hitting more high percentage passes, Mahomes would go for the big play, and against Cincy, the offense bogged down in the 2nd half of that game because of it.  As great as Mahomes has been, this penchant for pursuing the big play has gotten him in trouble, and as the team continues in the post Tyreek era, he will have to adjust his way pf thinking.  I think KC will add a TE to help facilitate this change in his game and reduce some of the pressure on him.

Kansas City taking a guy like McBride would go a long way into meeting all of the objectives listed above.  Assuming they keep Kelce in the next year or two, a guy like McBride would enable the team to groom Kelce's replacement and get younger at the position, and will enable the Chiefs to reduce salary and get younger down the road.  Adding McBride would make KC's offense more versatile and controlled.  Without the cheetah's blinding speed to bail him out, Mahomes will have to function more in the short to intermediate areas.  Additionally at least in the shorter term, Adding McBride to Kelce in 2 TE sets will give the Chiefs more offensive balance.  There were times where the Chiefs couldn't pound the ball when needed (rare though those instances may have been).  McBride and Kelce in 12 personnel would enable them to do that.  Now that the Chiefs have two first round picks and two second round picks, I could easily see the Chiefs address WR and CB in the first round and TE and another need in the 2nd round.

Based on these factors, it may be advisable to move up ahead of KC's pick at 62 if McBride is a target of ours.  Doing so if the price to move up (or back from 33) is right and would not be a disaster.

I haven't though about McBride to KC but that makes a ton a sense for the reasons you said.  KC and Tampa makes a lot of sense and if McBride is there at the end of the 2nd I don't think he would make it past either.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 09:38 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-01-2022, 08:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 01:09 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Taking that at face value for the moment, if TE is to be a target area in this draft, not taking a TE at 33 does not necessarily mean waiting until 65 or 70 to take a TE.  Assuming there is a consensus top two TEs among NFL teams, and assuming the Jaguars are targeting one of those two, it may be advisable to trade up into the bottom of the 2nd round to land one of them.

I haven't though about McBride to KC but that makes a ton a sense for the reasons you said.  KC and Tampa makes a lot of sense and if McBride is there at the end of the 2nd I don't think he would make it past either.

A couple of additional points on this matter:

1.  If the Chiefs somehow end up with Jameson Williams snd he returns to pre injury form, and then they add a McBride, they can efectively replicate the dynamic Tyreek Hill and Kelce provided at a much lower price for an extra 4-5 years.

2.  The Chiefs taking McBride would be perfectly in line with Reid's personnel philosophy.  Like Pederson, Reid has placed a big emphasis on the TE position.  He has had numerous pro bowlers at the position over the years in Philly and KC.