Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texans uniform changes

(04-27-2023, 01:49 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 08:47 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I have no idea what this means.  A ‘joke’ name?  I lived in Philly for almost 30 years and have no [BLEEP] idea what you’re talking about.

Have you ever called yourself a Phillie?

What in the world does that have anything to do with?  I thought I was confused before.

Do people in Miami refer to themselves as Marlins, Dolphins or Heat?  

You make zero sense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-26-2023, 03:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 01:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'd love for them to go back to the baby blue Houston Oilers colors and bring back those pom poms from the Bum Phillips era.  Growing up in Pittsburgh, I rooted against Oilers but loved their gameday environment.

Bud Adams wanted to stick it to Houston and never would have given up those rights for the uniforms. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote it as a clause in his will or in the franchise regulatory papers.

I don't know if Strunk is that invested in that kind of beef with Harris County with how things went down in the 90's. Honestly, at this point I'm sure there is a financially conceivable way to make it happen.

However, its been nearly 30 years since the Oilers and that franchise had a tendency to get close enough to give some hope and then dash it all to bits. I have more childhood memories of what could have been rather than awesome great times. Even true for my dad who was an Oilers fan back into the 1970s.

If anything they should just completely rebrand.

It's not like the Texans name has any good vibes to it. Bad teams mostly with a few middling playoff teams. Few great players were generally wasted. Bad management. Bad press from the owner statements about players, the religious guy's interference, and the Watson saga.

Plus I've always thought that name was so stupid in this day in age. Sure, a hundred years ago a team name like the Philadelphia Phillies made sense, but Houston Texans is just an address. If you want 'buy' a statewide fanbase (which won't happen anyways because of the Cowboys) just call yourself the Texas whatever's.

My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-27-2023, 03:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2023, 03:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Bud Adams wanted to stick it to Houston and never would have given up those rights for the uniforms. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote it as a clause in his will or in the franchise regulatory papers.

I don't know if Strunk is that invested in that kind of beef with Harris County with how things went down in the 90's. Honestly, at this point I'm sure there is a financially conceivable way to make it happen.

However, its been nearly 30 years since the Oilers and that franchise had a tendency to get close enough to give some hope and then dash it all to bits. I have more childhood memories of what could have been rather than awesome great times. Even true for my dad who was an Oilers fan back into the 1970s.

If anything they should just completely rebrand.

It's not like the Texans name has any good vibes to it. Bad teams mostly with a few middling playoff teams. Few great players were generally wasted. Bad management. Bad press from the owner statements about players, the religious guy's interference, and the Watson saga.

Plus I've always thought that name was so stupid in this day in age. Sure, a hundred years ago a team name like the Philadelphia Phillies made sense, but Houston Texans is just an address. If you want 'buy' a statewide fanbase (which won't happen anyways because of the Cowboys) just call yourself the Texas whatever's.

Brunell is one of my favorite Redskins players.   Hogs (OL), Riggins, Darrell Green, Brunell, Dexter Manley, and the fun bunch (WRs)

(04-27-2023, 02:11 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 01:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: Have you ever called yourself a Phillie?

What in the world does that have anything to do with?  I thought I was confused before.

Do people in Miami refer to themselves as Marlins, Dolphins or Heat?  

You make zero sense.

Rpr52121 compared the Houston Texans name to the Philadelphia Phillies name, saying they were both just named after people from that area.  
You know that's not true.
I know that's not true.  
I said it's not true.
But you jump down my throat for it.
Not his.
Why?

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2023, 12:59 PM by Mikey.)

(04-27-2023, 12:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 09:12 AM)Mikey Wrote: it's ok, neither does he Big Grin

As a kid who grew up in Cleveland, I said the very same thing when the franchise relocated and we were promised an expansion team. Don't try to revive the corpse, start new. The bad vibes that associated with the end were too painful to ignore or dismiss as part of the team name's history.

I think the same goes with Houston. The book has been closed on 'luv ya blue', let it stay closed. If they want to rebrand, tinhorns is right there.

Wait.  Are you stating that you would have rather had Cleveland not use the Browns after the relocation?  That would have been terrible.  As much as I hate the Browns, the Cleveland Browns always needs to be a part of the NFL.   Likewise, I would have like to see Baltimore retain the Colts name as well as they were pretty significant in the late 70s with Bert Jones and Lydell Mitchell.

For the record, the Cleveland MLB name change from the Indians to the Guardians is horrible

I wanted them to rebrand as the Bulldogs. Still keeps the Dawg Pound alive, tribute to the Canton Bulldogs, etc, without the stink of Modell's former team carrying over.

(04-27-2023, 01:49 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 08:47 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I have no idea what this means.  A ‘joke’ name?  I lived in Philly for almost 30 years and have no [BLEEP] idea what you’re talking about.

Have you ever called yourself a Phillie?

I wonder if he's ever run in the darby for that matter.

Sorry. Phillies was just the first example I could come up with. Montreal Canadiens is probably a better example. Still a silly name but they have so much history that they could never and would never change it.

My whole point is that Houston Texan is, was, and will always be a stupid team name.

(05-01-2023, 06:48 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Sorry. Phillies was just the first example I could come up with.  Montreal Canadiens is probably a better example. Still a silly name but they have so much history that they could never and would never change it.

My whole point is that Houston Texan is, was, and will always be a stupid team name.

A lot of team names are ‘stupid’.  How many Jaguars are in Jacksonville.  Lakers?  Reds?  Lots of Pirates in Pittsburgh…right?  I could go on and on and on…

(05-01-2023, 11:35 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 06:48 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Sorry. Phillies was just the first example I could come up with.  Montreal Canadiens is probably a better example. Still a silly name but they have so much history that they could never and would never change it.

A lot of team names are ‘stupid’.  How many Jaguars are in Jacksonville.  Lakers?  Reds?  Lots of Pirates in Pittsburgh…right?  I could go on and on and on…

But stupid being an address is full stupid. You never go full stupid

(05-02-2023, 01:55 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 11:35 PM)RicoTx Wrote: A lot of team names are ‘stupid’.  How many Jaguars are in Jacksonville.  Lakers?  Reds?  Lots of Pirates in Pittsburgh…right?  I could go on and on and on…

But stupid being an address is full stupid. You never go full stupid

Actually I think that is stupid.

(05-01-2023, 12:59 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 12:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Wait.  Are you stating that you would have rather had Cleveland not use the Browns after the relocation?  That would have been terrible.  As much as I hate the Browns, the Cleveland Browns always needs to be a part of the NFL.   Likewise, I would have like to see Baltimore retain the Colts name as well as they were pretty significant in the late 70s with Bert Jones and Lydell Mitchell.

For the record, the Cleveland MLB name change from the Indians to the Guardians is horrible

I wanted them to rebrand as the Bulldogs. Still keeps the Dawg Pound alive, tribute to the Canton Bulldogs, etc, without the stink of Modell's former team carrying over.

(04-27-2023, 01:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: Have you ever called yourself a Phillie?

Bulldogs would have been perfect.  I never thought of that one and didn't even realize they had a Canton Bulldogs in the past.

Browns didn't need to rebrand. If you started a team today, you wouldn't call it that, but the Browns name is tradition, and not at all offensive. The people of Cleveland demanded to be able to keep it.
But maybe the Texans could become the Houston Bulldogs or the Texas Bulldogs. Have at it!

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2023, 01:17 PM by Mikey.)

(05-04-2023, 11:46 AM)mikesez Wrote: Browns didn't need to rebrand.  If you started a team today, you wouldn't call it that, but the Browns name is tradition, and not at all offensive.  The people of Cleveland demanded to be able to keep it.
But maybe the Texans could become the Houston Bulldogs or the Texas Bulldogs.  Have at it!

of all the posts I've ever read, this is certainly one of them.

(05-03-2023, 02:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 12:59 PM)Mikey Wrote: I wanted them to rebrand as the Bulldogs. Still keeps the Dawg Pound alive, tribute to the Canton Bulldogs, etc, without the stink of Modell's former team carrying over.

Bulldogs would have been perfect.  I never thought of that one and didn't even realize they had a Canton Bulldogs in the past.

every once in a while my brain comes up with a decent idea. even rarer is the time I pay attention to that stupid gray matter.

(04-19-2023, 04:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Dark Brown pants
Light Brown Cow Skin pattern jerseys
White numbers bordered in Black
light brown socks, Black shoes
Helmets in light brown cow skin pattern with this logo:

[Image: img_5991.jpg?w=1536&h=1161&crop=1]

Include the logo above as a red silhouette branded on the right arsecheek of the pants and I'm in favor of this 100%.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(04-19-2023, 04:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Dark Brown pants
Light Brown Cow Skin pattern jerseys
White numbers bordered in Black
light brown socks, Black shoes
Helmets in light brown cow skin pattern with this logo:

[Image: img_5991.jpg?w=1536&h=1161&crop=1]

Is that one of their cheerleaders grazing in the endzone?

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2023, 12:38 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-04-2023, 01:15 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:46 AM)mikesez Wrote: Browns didn't need to rebrand.  If you started a team today, you wouldn't call it that, but the Browns name is tradition, and not at all offensive.  The people of Cleveland demanded to be able to keep it.
But maybe the Texans could become the Houston Bulldogs or the Texas Bulldogs.  Have at it!

of all the posts I've ever read, this is certainly one of them.

(05-03-2023, 02:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Bulldogs would have been perfect.  I never thought of that one and didn't even realize they had a Canton Bulldogs in the past.

every once in a while my brain comes up with a decent idea. even rarer is the time I pay attention to that stupid gray matter.

You and Hurricane said that the 1999 expansion team in Cleveland should have been named the Bulldogs.  I replied explaining that not only do I think you're wrong, the fans in Cleveland thought you were wrong, the politicians in Cleveland thought you were wrong, and nobody was offended by the name "Browns."
However my attempts to be nice and non-confrontational in presenting these facts seem to have gone over your head.  I won't worry about hurting your feelings next time.

IMHO hope that one day all 32 NFL teams will consider changes to any and all uniforms!
Summertime Is Coming!

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023, 12:31 AM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

Just rebrand the team like the Browns did and just bring back the Houston Oilers.

Al Del Greco comes on to attempt the field goal.

(06-16-2023, 12:30 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Just rebrand the team like the Browns did and just bring back the Houston Oilers.

The Titans still own that name and logo unfortunately.  They would have to agree to give it up, along with the records and such.

(05-04-2023, 11:46 AM)mikesez Wrote: Browns didn't need to rebrand.  If you started a team today, you wouldn't call it that.

Why not?

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2023, 02:40 PM by Mikey.)

(06-13-2023, 12:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 01:15 PM)Mikey Wrote: of all the posts I've ever read, this is certainly one of them.

You and Hurricane said that the 1999 expansion team in Cleveland should have been named the Bulldogs.  I replied explaining that not only do I think you're wrong, the fans in Cleveland thought you were wrong, the politicians in Cleveland thought you were wrong, and nobody was offended by the name "Browns."
However my attempts to be nice and non-confrontational in presenting these facts seem to have gone over your head.  I won't worry about hurting your feelings next time.

Unfortunately, part of the accelerated deal to return football to Cleveland required that the name continue. I fricking grew up there, knew every roster by heart and am well steeped in the franchise's history and culture. You're right that many wanted Cleveland to remain Browns Town ™, but it was far from unanimous, as many associated the franchise name with that human colostomy bag Art Modell.

Doing Tagliabue's bidding got a franchise back there, but for many of us who grew up on Browns football, something died when Modell moved the team. It would have been nice to start fresh.

But I'm wrong to think that, right? Get with the rest of the lemmings, we got a cliff to dive off of!

(06-16-2023, 12:30 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Just rebrand the team like the Browns did and just bring back the Houston Oilers.

They can't, because unlike CLE, the other relocated franchises kept their old team names/records. The tacks played a season or two as the oilers, and Earl Campbell is second all-time on the tacks' rushing list. Johnny U is part of Indynoplace's history.

Everything is stupid.

CLE kept their history and as such were compelled to continue the franchise, effectively making Ballimer the expansion team.

(06-18-2023, 11:15 AM)Kane Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:46 AM)mikesez Wrote: Browns didn't need to rebrand.  If you started a team today, you wouldn't call it that.

Why not?

what dummy would call their team the Cleveland that?

He's got a valid point.