Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do we draft at 24?
This poll is closed.
Pass rusher
8.33%
3 8.33%
OT
8.33%
3 8.33%
CB
19.44%
7 19.44%
TE
2.78%
1 2.78%
Branch
38.89%
14 38.89%
Torrence
11.11%
4 11.11%
Trade up or trade back
11.11%
4 11.11%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Who does the Jags draft at 24?

(04-23-2023, 01:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Branch could be a game changer for this defense and I think a potential All Pro at SS.  Not sure we have ever had a player like him.  He's a different type of player in the secondary.  I could see us using him like GB used Charles Woodson when the moved him to safety and he won defensive player of the year.  I hope Branch is there when we pick just to have that option.  A lot of these pass rushers and olineman that will be available when we pick I don't think could help us this year as much as Branch could as well

I agree that Branch would provide more immediate help at a position of need than anyone else in this class. More important than that, I do believe he will become a key player for years to come despite not playing the more valued position of outside cornerback. He is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a guy you can't judge due to his combine numbers. He plays much faster than his timed speed, never misses a tackle and can be used in several ways such as in blitz packages. I do believe he will be available at pick 24 and would have no problem whatsoever if they take him. That being said, I'd likely prefer Joey Porter since it's much harder to find potential shutdown cornerbacks than nickels who primarily cover slot receivers or strong safeties- the 2 positions Branch are most likely to play.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-23-2023, 01:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 01:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Branch could be a game changer for this defense and I think a potential All Pro at SS.  Not sure we have ever had a player like him.  He's a different type of player in the secondary.  I could see us using him like GB used Charles Woodson when the moved him to safety and he won defensive player of the year.  I hope Branch is there when we pick just to have that option.  A lot of these pass rushers and olineman that will be available when we pick I don't think could help us this year as much as Branch could as well

I agree that Branch would provide more immediate help at a position of need than anyone else in this class. More important than that, I do believe he will become a key player for years to come despite not playing the more valued position of outside cornerback. He is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a guy you can't judge due to his combine numbers. He plays much faster than his timed speed, never misses a tackle and can be used in several ways such as in blitz packages. I do believe he will be available at pick 24 and would have no problem whatsoever if they take him. That being said, I'd likely prefer Joey Porter since it's much harder to find potential shutdown cornerbacks than nickels who primarily cover slot receivers or strong safeties- the 2 positions Branch are most likely to play.

I really don't see them taking a DB early in this draft, the shortage of talent on this team if far more serious on the lines, especially in 2024.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2023, 02:03 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-23-2023, 01:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 01:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I agree that Branch would provide more immediate help at a position of need than anyone else in this class. More important than that, I do believe he will become a key player for years to come despite not playing the more valued position of outside cornerback. He is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a guy you can't judge due to his combine numbers. He plays much faster than his timed speed, never misses a tackle and can be used in several ways such as in blitz packages. I do believe he will be available at pick 24 and would have no problem whatsoever if they take him. That being said, I'd likely prefer Joey Porter since it's much harder to find potential shutdown cornerbacks than nickels who primarily cover slot receivers or strong safeties- the 2 positions Branch are most likely to play.

I really don't see them taking a DB early in this draft, the shortage of talent on this team if far more serious on the lines, especially in 2024.

You never push players up your board because of need

(04-23-2023, 01:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Oh I'd definitely take Porter over Branch.  I think he's the best corner in this draft and could possibly be the top corner taken.  I don't see Porter being there when we pick.  I think Porter goes to Atlanta

Atlanta just cut Hayward as well

Personally I would pick Branch. I think he’s the missing piece for the defence. I expect last years rookies to all significantly improve.

However most of the players on Caldrac’s list are never there whenever I do pff mock drafts (including Branch) so will be interesting to see who is available and what direction we go in.

I don’t think we’ll trade down unless Branch, Torrance and whichever passrusher (Murphy/Smith) they like are all gone.

(04-23-2023, 04:33 PM)Ordar Wrote: Personally I would pick Branch. I think he’s the missing piece for the defence. I expect last years rookies to all significantly improve.

However most of the players on Caldrac’s list are never there whenever I do pff mock drafts (including Branch) so will be interesting to see who is available and what direction we go in.

I don’t think we’ll trade down unless Branch, Torrance and whichever passrusher (Murphy/Smith) they like are all gone.

I think we have Bresee higher on our board than Murphy.  Murphy is not a 3-4 OLB unless we are going to a 4-3 and I don't see us changing the defense.  I think they want to go into a 2nd season with the same scheme.  I agree with pretty much everything you justbsaid though.  I think Branch could be the missing the piece and especially for this year along with the future at SS

(04-23-2023, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 01:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I really don't see them taking a DB early in this draft, the shortage of talent on this team if far more serious on the lines, especially in 2024.

(04-23-2023, 01:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I agree that Branch would provide more immediate help at a position of need than anyone else in this class. More important than that, I do believe he will become a key player for years to come despite not playing the more valued position of outside cornerback. He is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a guy you can't judge due to his combine numbers. He plays much faster than his timed speed, never misses a tackle and can be used in several ways such as in blitz packages. I do believe he will be available at pick 24 and would have no problem whatsoever if they take him. That being said, I'd likely prefer Joey Porter since it's much harder to find potential shutdown cornerbacks than nickels who primarily cover slot receivers or strong safeties- the 2 positions Branch are most likely to play.

Oh I'd definitely take Porter over Branch.  I think he's the best corner in this draft and could possibly be the top corner taken.  I don't see Porter being there when we pick.  I think Porter goes to Atlanta

Sure you do, everyone does.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-23-2023, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 01:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I really don't see them taking a DB early in this draft, the shortage of talent on this team if far more serious on the lines, especially in 2024.

Literally every team does this. 

And literally every team reaches for need over BAP.

So weird you can't grasp this.

(04-23-2023, 04:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You never push players up your board because of need

Oh no. Here we go……

(04-23-2023, 04:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You never push players up your board because of need

We did for may years and you see where we were at?  Now we finally have a GM that goes BPA and I think we are in the best position since the 90s.  Baalke admitted his past failures going need over BPA and said he has been doing this a long time and has finally figured out to not push players up the board for need.  The GMs that draft need over BPA are the ones that get fired in short time or that are picking at the top of the draft.  It's weird you can't grasp that, still.  Give me the best player.  SS isn't the 2nd or 3rd need for me but I think he might end up the BPA and game changer, give me that guy.   I'm not moving players up the board that are a bigger need.  Sorry to tell you but every GM don't move players up their board for need.

(04-23-2023, 06:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 04:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Literally every team does this. 

We did for may years and you see where we were at?  Now we finally have a GM that goes BPA and I think we are in the best position since the 90s.  Baalke admitted his past failures going need over BPA and said he has been doing this a long time and has finally figured out to not push players up the board for need.  The GMs that draft need over BPA are the ones that get fired in short time or that are picking at the top of the draft.  It's weird you can't grasp that, still.  Give me the best player.  SS isn't the 2nd or 3rd need for me but I think he might end up the BPA and game changer, give me that guy.   I'm not moving players up the board that are a bigger need.  Sorry to tell you but every GM don't move players up their board for need.

Walker wasn't even the BAP when he was taken #1 so that already blows your theory about Baalke out of the water..

(04-23-2023, 07:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 06:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We did for may years and you see where we were at?  Now we finally have a GM that goes BPA and I think we are in the best position since the 90s.  Baalke admitted his past failures going need over BPA and said he has been doing this a long time and has finally figured out to not push players up the board for need.  The GMs that draft need over BPA are the ones that get fired in short time or that are picking at the top of the draft.  It's weird you can't grasp that, still.  Give me the best player.  SS isn't the 2nd or 3rd need for me but I think he might end up the BPA and game changer, give me that guy.   I'm not moving players up the board that are a bigger need.  Sorry to tell you but every GM don't move players up their board for need.

Walker wasn't even the BAP when he was taken #1 so that already blows your theory about Baalke out of the water..
It was clear he was on their board.  What player do you think was the top player on their board that they took Walker over because of need?

(04-23-2023, 08:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 07:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Walker wasn't even the BAP when he was taken #1 so that already blows your theory about Baalke out of the water..
It was clear he was on their board.  What player do you think was the top player on their board that they took Walker over because of need?

The Walker pick was all about physical traits and what could be in the future. He was not a better player coming out of College than Hutch or Sauce, which is exactly what BAP is.

And as we've all told you a million times, EVERY GM mixes need and BAP in their decision making process. It's not cut and dry one, or the other like you seem to think it is. And don't bother posting that one stupid Bruce Arians article that you post every year.

[Image: Myths-Listed-In-Order-of-Plausibility-2.png]

(04-23-2023, 08:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 08:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It was clear he was on their board.  What player do you think was the top player on their board that they took Walker over because of need?

The Walker pick was all about physical traits and what could be in the future. He was not a better player coming out of College than Hutch or Sauce, which is exactly what BAP is.

And as we've all told you a million times, EVERY GM mixes need and BAP in their decision making process. It's not cut and dry one, or the other like you seem to think it is. And don't bother posting that one stupid Bruce Arians article that you post every year.

Lol, it's comical that some still doesn't understand what BAP is. Drafting BAP is taking the top player on your board.  You aren't drafting a player for just one season.  Walker was the top guy on their board hence why they took him number 1 overall.  I don't need a Arians quote, all the great GMs and great franchise draft BPA and its been talked about for years by different coaches and GMs.  Hell, our own GM and coach has talked about it the last 2 drafts about taking the top guy and not moving a player up the board because of need.  Baalke talked about it the 2021 draft as well.  You draft for need you get fired in short order.

(04-23-2023, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 08:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The Walker pick was all about physical traits and what could be in the future. He was not a better player coming out of College than Hutch or Sauce, which is exactly what BAP is.

Lol, it's comical that some still doesn't understand what BAP is. Drafting BAP is taking the top player on your board.  You aren't drafting a player for just one season.  Walker was the top guy on their board hence why they took him number 1 overall.  I don't need a Arians quote, all the great GMs and great franchise draft BPA and its been talked about for years by different coaches and GMs.  Hell, our own GM and coach has talked about it the last 2 drafts about taking the top guy and not moving a player up the board because of need.  Baalke talked about it the 2021 draft as well.  You draft for need you get fired in short order.

Yea because a team that already has a QB, is going to take another QB simply because he's the top player on their board huh? That's definitely how it works right? Please.

(04-23-2023, 09:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, it's comical that some still doesn't understand what BAP is. Drafting BAP is taking the top player on your board.  You aren't drafting a player for just one season.  Walker was the top guy on their board hence why they took him number 1 overall.  I don't need a Arians quote, all the great GMs and great franchise draft BPA and its been talked about for years by different coaches and GMs.  Hell, our own GM and coach has talked about it the last 2 drafts about taking the top guy and not moving a player up the board because of need.  Baalke talked about it the 2021 draft as well.  You draft for need you get fired in short order.

Yea because a team that already has a QB, is going to take another QB simply because he's the top player on their board huh? That's definitely how it works right? Please.
Duh IDIOT!

It’s always BAP unless it’s a QB or RB or a position you’re stacked in… in that case you choose a position you need or just trade back with the imaginary team that wants to move up…. Duh. Always BAP unless it’s not.

(04-23-2023, 09:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, it's comical that some still doesn't understand what BAP is. Drafting BAP is taking the top player on your board.  You aren't drafting a player for just one season.  Walker was the top guy on their board hence why they took him number 1 overall.  I don't need a Arians quote, all the great GMs and great franchise draft BPA and its been talked about for years by different coaches and GMs.  Hell, our own GM and coach has talked about it the last 2 drafts about taking the top guy and not moving a player up the board because of need.  Baalke talked about it the 2021 draft as well.  You draft for need you get fired in short order.

That's when you trade back and get a nice haul.  Hopefully one of those QBs do fall to our pick

(04-24-2023, 10:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 09:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yea because a team that already has a QB, is going to take another QB simply because he's the top player on their board huh? That's definitely how it works right? Please.

That's when you trade back and get a nice haul.  Hopefully one of those QBs do fall to our pick

Hendon Hooker to the Vikings (pick 23) is picking up steam. That would make it difficult for the Jags to trade back, however I've seen a few mocks where the Chiefs trade up to Jacksonville to get their receiver of choice (Flowers or Hyatt). In return, the Jaguars get pick 31 and a 3rd rounder.

(04-24-2023, 11:06 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-24-2023, 10:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's when you trade back and get a nice haul.  Hopefully one of those QBs do fall to our pick

Hendon Hooker to the Vikings (pick 23) is picking up steam. That would make it difficult for the Jags to trade back, however I've seen a few mocks where the Chiefs trade up to Jacksonville to get their receiver of choice (Flowers or Hyatt). In return, the Jaguars get pick 31 and a 3rd rounder.

My thoughts exactly.