Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
OL - 2023

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2023, 11:26 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-26-2023, 07:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 04:18 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Wow, what a shocker. I totally bought it that he was my alter ego.

Nah, that was SweetieP or some such. It doesn't change your transgressions a wit.

Oh man, you really have had absolutely no control or power in your life have you, this forum really is all you got huh. LOL, transgressions. I felt that cringe deep in my soul reading this one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2023, 12:23 AM by OzJohnnie. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-26-2023, 08:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 05:34 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I suspect they have their plans far more set than they let on.  You can't decide your line at the last minute and hope they are performing as a unit before the fourth or fifth game of the season.  So they know what they are going to do and baring injury, they are going with their plan.  But there are so many uncertainties - essentially three of the five positions have question marks about them - that if they said their minds were made up now then they would just have to deal with all the noise that comes with explaining/justifying that.  Likewise, if they know 4 of the 5 but still have a question on one spot then suddenly that one spot gets enormous focus and the guys working to make it there have that extra media hassle.  Or, if the spot they aren't certain about is something like RT then they gotta deal with justifying that being a question when LG is more so to the masses.

I don't know if they have their minds made up or not, obviously, but I do know that acting like it's a funky everyone can play everywhere pre-season decreases the number of questions people can ask so it's much easier to manage.

I don't disagree. 
I'm sure they see a clear way forward, it's just that injury, suspension, and potential "positional demotions" have them wanting to keep doors open. This type of language lays the groundwork for changes to be made. 

To a lesser degree, it also puts players on notice that their likely starting spot cannot be assumed safe or guaranteed. 

If I had to guess what they are heading off at the pass here, it's getting reps for a number of players at LG during camp, and leaving open the possibility of a shake up if Cam begins to look like an upgrade somewhere mid-season.

Hmmm... maybe.  I don't believe it is even as open to change as the little change you reasonably suggest here.  You've put a line forward in other posts that I think is it.  And short of injury that is going to be it.

* They simply have no choice but to start with Harrison and Little at the tackle positions.  There is no one else coming close to beating down the doors there.  If those two can't start the season then the Jag line is effed.  If they get injured before Robinson returns, then the Jags are doubly effed.

* LG must be Bartch and will be.  If his injury was causing any doubt, even the slightest, then they would have FA'ed or waivered someone, anyone, with quality backup time to hold the fort until his knee was fit.  There is zero opening-day depth beyond Shatley on the inside so Bartch is the man at LG.  Shatley will be unavailable for long-term LG play.

* Shatley has to be there to back up all three inside positions, particularly C.  Sure, they could take a chance at the end of last season as they were playing with other people's money at that point anyways.  They weren't going to the Super Bowl and so being short on backups at that point wouldn't really matter.  But at the beginning of the season, you need Shatley there to pick up the pieces when someone else can't play.

So, I agree with you that it's Little/Bartch/Fortner/Scherff/Harrison.   And their fingers are massively crossed that the tackles hold up until Robinson is back and they have quality depth/options.  Bartch is back week one guaranteed, otherwise, they would have pulled in someone.  If he misses one or two weeks, they'll have to cross their fingers with Shatley holding the fort until Bartch can play.  The only thing that will change this is an injury so obvious during the pre-season that everyone can see they have no choice.  I would not be surprised to see the OL wrapped in cotton balls during the pre-season games, getting just one series in each game at most.

(06-26-2023, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 09:01 AM)Mikey Wrote: Little. I got this weird feeling that they keep the big price tag on the outside.

Cam/Little/Fort/Scherf/Harrison

Bartch is your inside swingman, Wells on the outside.

Who plays LT while Cam Robinson serves his suspension, though? 
Wells? 
Or do they put Little outside and Shatley inside to start out - then kick Little over?

I edited this out, I done forgot Cam and his supplemental life.

I'd assume Shatley's position to lose inside, you have to keep Little outside. Question is what happens when the suspension elapses - stick with Little, or shuffle the deck again?

(06-26-2023, 10:30 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 05:34 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: [plerm]

Where the hell did you come from, I thought you got banned because you were me and I was you. Weird.

Itchy: Look, Scratchy! It's our new friend, Poochie!

Scratchy: What's that name again? I forgot.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2023, 08:29 AM by Caldrac.)

(06-27-2023, 08:20 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Who plays LT while Cam Robinson serves his suspension, though? 
Wells? 
Or do they put Little outside and Shatley inside to start out - then kick Little over?

I edited this out, I done forgot Cam and his supplemental life.

I'd assume Shatley's position to lose inside, you have to keep Little outside. Question is what happens when the suspension elapses - stick with Little, or shuffle the deck again?

Sticking with Little will come down to his performance. If he's getting abused out there and spun around like a record on a turntable he'll be back on the bench for sure. Robinson I think is going to fall into either:

A. Highest paid player on the roster in 2023 as a swing tackle.
B. Potential LG/RG if Shately is struggling or something is up with Scherff.

He's really going to have to be flexible in 2023. He got popped for PED's, will get suspended I would think for at least four or more games, there should be none of this "Well, I am a LT, and only a LT" mumbo, jumbo BS. If you want to look good going into 2024's open market. You might want to show some sense and some redeeming qualities for putting yourself before the team.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-27-2023, 12:20 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: Hmmm... maybe.  I don't believe it is even as open to change as the little change you reasonably suggest here.  You've put a line forward in other posts that I think is it.  And short of injury that is going to be it.

* They simply have no choice but to start with Harrison and Little at the tackle positions.  There is no one else coming close to beating down the doors there.  If those two can't start the season then the Jag line is effed.  If they get injured before Robinson returns, then the Jags are doubly effed.

* LG must be Bartch and will be.  If his injury was causing any doubt, even the slightest, then they would have FA'ed or waivered someone, anyone, with quality backup time to hold the fort until his knee was fit.  There is zero opening-day depth beyond Shatley on the inside so Bartch is the man at LG.  Shatley will be unavailable for long-term LG play.

* Shatley has to be there to back up all three inside positions, particularly C.  Sure, they could take a chance at the end of last season as they were playing with other people's money at that point anyways.  They weren't going to the Super Bowl and so being short on backups at that point wouldn't really matter.  But at the beginning of the season, you need Shatley there to pick up the pieces when someone else can't play.

So, I agree with you that it's Little/Bartch/Fortner/Scherff/Harrison.   And their fingers are massively crossed that the tackles hold up until Robinson is back and they have quality depth/options.  Bartch is back week one guaranteed, otherwise, they would have pulled in someone.  If he misses one or two weeks, they'll have to cross their fingers with Shatley holding the fort until Bartch can play.  The only thing that will change this is an injury so obvious during the pre-season that everyone can see they have no choice.  I would not be surprised to see the OL wrapped in cotton balls during the pre-season games, getting just one series in each game at most.

Regarding the bold, are we 100% sold on this? Do they give Wells a chance at RT to allow Harrison time to grow into the role? I imagine the rook will get a lot of reps in the preseason to get his feet under him, also curious if they want to take a look at him playing on the Left, after all the team has repeatedly stressed versatility, and this would be one way to develop flexibility among the linemen.

I'm not necessarily advocating this move, but also wouldn't be surprised to see this unfold especially while the games didn't count.

I think the guys at 1010 read the board. This is about the 10th time they have discussed the same topics we discuss. They spoke on the Oline around 11am and this morning they spoke on Fred Taylor and his stats.

(06-26-2023, 11:25 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 07:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nah, that was SweetieP or some such. It doesn't change your transgressions a wit.

Oh man, you really have had absolutely no control or power in your life have you, this forum really is all you got huh. LOL, transgressions. I felt that cringe deep in my soul reading this one.

I'm sorry, forgot my audience. I'll use smaller words for you next time SweetDougie.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2023, 11:48 AM by CanDoBetter.)

How big chance is there that Harrison will end up at LT if Little isn't good enough?

(06-27-2023, 11:48 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: How big chance is there that Harrison will end up at LT if Little isn't good enough?

Little has already looked good as an NFL tackle.
Harrison is a much bigger question mark at this stage.

Rauscher will have the toughest job among position coaches. Rookie right tackle, injured guard, unproven left tackle (Little) and 2nd year center who must continue to improve. The success of this unit will determine how far the Jaguars can go this season. If they stay healthy and jell as a unit, the sky is the limit despite questions on defense.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2023, 01:29 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-27-2023, 01:18 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Rauscher will have the toughest job among position coaches. Rookie right tackle, injured guard, unproven left tackle (Little) and 2nd year center who must continue to improve. The success of this unit will determine how far the Jaguars can go this season. If they stay healthy and jell as a unit, the sky is the limit despite questions on defense.

Should see a more balanced approach offensively. I think the selections of Strange, Bigsby & Parrish signify a desire for this. Strange is more of an H-Back, move type. He'll motion in and out of the backfield, be a lead blocker at times, get out around the edge to hopefully crack a lane open for a free runner. Should also set up nicely for the play action game.

Really excited to this trio in pads though. Size, strength and quickness coming out of the backfield to compliment an offense that has some quality speed on the outside in Ridley, Kirk, Jones & Engram moving around. Etienne as well. I hope we see him in a more flex role where he gets some opportunities similar to what Kamara has had over the years in NOLA.

Can't wait to see this offense in August. It's just right around the corner already.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-27-2023, 01:18 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Rauscher will have the toughest job among position coaches. Rookie right tackle, injured guard, unproven left tackle (Little) and 2nd year center who must continue to improve. The success of this unit will determine how far the Jaguars can go this season. If they stay healthy and jell as a unit, the sky is the limit despite questions on defense.

I seem to be feeling like Little is more "proven" than most fans are expressing. 

5.5 games may be a small-ish sample size, but he looked very capable IMO. 

PFF graded Cam at 67 and Little at 61 if that means anything to you, but I thought Walker looked as good or better. 
An offseason prepping as the starter should help as well.

(06-27-2023, 03:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I seem to be feeling like Little is more "proven" than most fans are expressing. 

PFF graded Cam at 67 and Little at 61 if that means anything to you, but I thought Walker looked as good or better. 

I think Little was going to push Cam out of the spot anyway. He needed some time to get up to speed after his long layoff and he really is built to play the left tackle spot. If he plays as well to start the year as he ended last then we'll be fine over there.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

At least until Cam's suspension is over the line should look like this: Little/ Bartch/ Fortner/ Scherff/ Harrison

Once Cam is back from suspension, I think Harrison kicks inside to Guard as he's a rookie and moving inside is easier than playing tackle, and most of his supposed weaknesses are masked getting to play in a phone booth. Much like Ogden getting to learn inside for a year, I think Harrison will likely do the same.

The other option is to have Walker Little just kick inside to LG and plug Cam it at LT. This way the rookie can stay in one spot and learn which may help his development.

I have a feeling that we'll need guard depth. Bartch looks promising but missed time last year. Scherff is usually someone who is out a few games a year due to injury the past few seasons, but was suprirsingly healthy last year. Whether Cam wants to play guard or not may not matter as they may need to shuffle guys around in a pinch to try and keep Trevor clean.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I think Harrison will kick on preety quickly
Quite happy with him and little

(06-27-2023, 03:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-27-2023, 03:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I seem to be feeling like Little is more "proven" than most fans are expressing. 

I think Little was going to push Cam out of the spot anyway. He needed some time to get up to speed after his long layoff and he really is built to play the left tackle spot. If he plays as well to start the year as he ended last then we'll be fine over there.

I agree

About a month away and we go to camp boys. 2024 is supposed to be a big season. This training camp is going to be fun with all these rookies.

Can we get a countdown ticker or something.

As far as the starting lineup, I think you need to distinguish between the time with Cam suspended and then after the suspension.  While Cam is out, I see the starting lineup as:

Little (LT), Bartch (LG), Fortner (C ), Scherff (RG), Harrison (RT)

I only see a legitimate competition at left guard.  However, I do think it is Bartch's position to lose.  Some people forget that Bartch beat out Shatley last year.  Shatley was only playing because Bartch got injured in week 5.  I think the Jaguars like Bartch more than most fans on here.

It gets more interesting after the suspension is over.  I see four possibilities and will list them in order of my opinion of most likely to least likely.  I will say upfront that I don't think Cam plays anywhere other the left tackle.  He's played his entire career there and has voiced opposition to moving.  I also think Harrison only plays right tackle this year.  He's a rookie and I think they want him to focus on one position.  I also think the Jaguars will want as much continuity as possible.  I don't think they want to play musical chairs with their offensive line in week 5 by moving a bunch of players to new positions.  To me, it really comes down to what do you do with Walker Little.  Below are the possibilities:

1. No change to the line.  If the line is playing well, I can see Pederson not wanting to make a change.  Cam Robinson is an expensive backup if he isn't traded or cut.  

2.  Cam to left tackle and Little to left guard.  This is the scenario if the left guard is struggling.  It's also the "get your five best offensive linemen on the field" strategy.

3.  Cam to left tackle and Little to backup swing tackle.  Little was a backup last year, so they could go back to it again this year.

4.  Cam to left tackle and Little to right tackle with Harrison being a backup.  I find this the least likely of the four.  However, if Harrison is having trouble transitioning to being an NFL right tackle, this scenario is possible.

Good scenarios. I would reverse three and two as I think Little is more likely to swing before moving to G, but it’s a coin toss, really.