Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
OL - 2023

Lots of question marks headed into 2023 for this OL.

Fortner at Center and Scherff at RG seem to be the only sure things that are likely to stay in those spots as long as they stay healthy. 

Harrison seems set at RT - but as a rookie - we can't rule out a move should he struggle a bit too much.
LT is Little's for the taking, but we don't know much about Cam's situation and what may happen upon return.
LG feels like yet another question mark. Bartch isn't even cleared for full participation yet and he's basically penciled in as the starter. 

OL coach Rauscher and HC Pederson seems to be laying it on pretty thick with a "versatility" sermon, so who knows how this thing shakes out in late August? 

Quote:"We have a lot of guys that can play multiple spots," Pederson said. "So whoever's available, however everything plays out moving into it, I think we can put together a pretty good combination and then be flexible in that combination.

"Obviously everybody having familiarity in the system, familiarity with one another, we expect everybody to take that next step in terms of their progression and getting better."
Said Rauscher, "The way we like to play is being tough, strong and athletic. There are tackles and yes, there are guards, but the interchangeability of it is important to us."

I predict an early lineup of:
Little/ Bartch/ Fortner/ Scherff/ Harrison 
 - but it seems like they might be more open to other combinations than I'd have previously guessed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If not Bartch at LG on opening day, who would it be?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2023, 08:27 PM by jj82284.)

Shatley. You gave three quality bodies @ tackle & a really good online coach. I think we'll be OK.

Shatley andEvans provide great depth

(06-25-2023, 09:06 PM)GaJag Wrote: Shatley andEvans provide great depth

Who is Evans?

Do you mean Wells? 

I thought Shatley was pretty bad last year, personally. Not near good enough to make me comfortable.

(06-25-2023, 08:14 PM)mikesez Wrote: If not Bartch at LG on opening day, who would it be?

I agree with the others Shatley would seem to be the choice if Bartch falters or is injured.

But looking at the lineup projections made me consider if Harrison should be paired up with Scherff irrespective of which side he lines up.

Make no mistake, I don't question if Harrison has the intelligence to start.  But he IS an NFL rookie.  While in colleges, it's not uncommon to see maybe four different defenses in a game, Harrison could see many many more variations and possible blitz and stunt combinations in the course of a game.  He could be confused by many things he might see during the course of a game.  Scherff has experience playing both left and right guard and given his time in the NFL, has seen every front, stunt and blitz combination, and has had experience blocking many of the DLs Harrison could face.  He could be a huge help to Harrison, especially early on.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-25-2023, 05:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lots of question marks headed into 2023 for this OL.

OL coach Rauscher and HC Pederson seems to be laying it on pretty thick with a "versatility" sermon, so who knows how this thing shakes out in late August? 

- but it seems like they might be more open to other combinations than I'd have previously guessed.

I worry the most about this position group as it will have a huge impact on our offense.  No way to get an idea until they begin hitting in training camp.  We have enough cap room to be opportunistic with any cuts made around the league but rather they didn't have to. 

I know they have been gushing about the flexibility and talent in the room. I hope they are right!!

ps. Hearing what they are saying reminds me of the scene in Moneyball where they are giving Hatteburg confidence as they teach him to play first base.  Picking Machine !!
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2023, 12:33 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yeah the O line still worries me a lot, it wasn't great last year at all and to make it worse, we lost both our starting tackles. Really hope Harrison/Little end up being studs, but I'm still worried about the interior. Scherff is fine, but Fortner was far from impressive last season and I'm still not so sure about Bartch, especially since he was out most of last season.

At the moment, I'm hoping that the young guys get better, and would absolutely love it if ETN took a step forward and became a truely elite RB, and add Tank Bigsby to the mix so that the opposing defense can't just pin their ears back every play outta fear of ETN going wild. He certainly showed last year he's a home run hitter, dudes YPC was hovering 6-8 yards a touch for a large portion of the season.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2023, 01:03 AM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-26-2023, 12:31 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Yeah the O line still worries me a lot, it wasn't great last year at all and to make it worse, we lost both our starting tackles. Really hope Harrison/Little end up being studs, but I'm still worried about the interior. Scherff is fine, but Fortner was far from impressive last season and I'm still not so sure about Bartch, especially since he was out most of last season.

At the moment, I'm hoping that the young guys get better, and would absolutely love it if ETN took a step forward and became a truely elite RB, and add Tank Bigsby to the mix so that the opposing defense can't just pin their ears back every play outta fear of ETN going wild. He certainly showed last year he's a home run hitter, dudes YPC was hovering 6-8 yards a touch for a large portion of the season.

I think Fortner will be better this year.  He has a year in an nfl offseason program now, a year of experience also.  I am pulling for the kid, we def need some sort of stability on the ol.  It was impressive for him to start and play good enough as a rook. No idea how Harrison will play out hoping he has some juice.

LT, LG, RG Will be ? Going into next years offseason i think.  No idea what will happen with Cam and if Little plays well we would have to start thinking about a contract soon on him and prly releasing Cam.  LG enough said.  RG this might be Sherffs last year with the team.

(06-26-2023, 01:01 AM)surfon Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 12:31 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Yeah the O line still worries me a lot, it wasn't great last year at all and to make it worse, we lost both our starting tackles. Really hope Harrison/Little end up being studs, but I'm still worried about the interior. Scherff is fine, but Fortner was far from impressive last season and I'm still not so sure about Bartch, especially since he was out most of last season.

I think Fortner will be better this year.  He has a year in an nfl offseason program now, a year of experience also.  I am pulling for the kid, we def need some sort of stability on the ol.  It was impressive for him to start and play good enough as a rook. No idea how Harrison will play out hoping he has some juice.

LT, LG, RG Will be ? Going into next years offseason i think.  No idea what will happen with Cam and if Little plays well we would have to start thinking about a contract soon on him and prly releasing Cam.  LG enough said.  RG this might be Sherffs last year with the team.

the scariest part to me, is what happens if Anton Harrison sucks, and Walker Little also sucks? Then what. Our interior was the weak point already.. but the unknown for the two tackle positions is a bit worrying. Whats worse, is if both were to be bad that would likely lead to us keeping C Robinson past this season, which frankly I would rather dump him for a pick or two and be done with him.. he's not nearly as good as his contract suggests, but he's good enough to want on the field if the other two faulter. 

Idk man, it's just one of those things that makes the offseason so annoying. Could just be over thinking it, but who knows.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2023, 05:35 AM by OzJohnnie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-25-2023, 05:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lots of question marks headed into 2023 for this OL.

Fortner at Center and Scherff at RG seem to be the only sure things that are likely to stay in those spots as long as they stay healthy. 

Harrison seems set at RT - but as a rookie - we can't rule out a move should he struggle a bit too much.
LT is Little's for the taking, but we don't know much about Cam's situation and what may happen upon return.
LG feels like yet another question mark. Bartch isn't even cleared for full participation yet and he's basically penciled in as the starter. 

Quote:"We have a lot of guys that can play multiple spots," Pederson said. "So whoever's available, however everything plays out moving into it, I think we can put together a pretty good combination and then be flexible in that combination.

"Obviously everybody having familiarity in the system, familiarity with one another, we expect everybody to take that next step in terms of their progression and getting better."
Said Rauscher, "The way we like to play is being tough, strong and athletic. There are tackles and yes, there are guards, but the interchangeability of it is important to us."

I suspect they have their plans far more set than they let on.  You can't decide your line at the last minute and hope they are performing as a unit before the fourth or fifth game of the season.  So they know what they are going to do and baring injury, they are going with their plan.  But there are so many uncertainties - essentially three of the five positions have question marks about them - that if they said their minds were made up now then they would just have to deal with all the noise that comes with explaining/justifying that.  Likewise, if they know 4 of the 5 but still have a question on one spot then suddenly that one spot gets enormous focus and the guys working to make it there have that extra media hassle.  Or, if the spot they aren't certain about is something like RT then they gotta deal with justifying that being a question when LG is more so to the masses.

I don't know if they have their minds made up or not, obviously, but I do know that acting like it's a funky everyone can play everywhere pre-season decreases the number of questions people can ask so it's much easier to manage.

(06-26-2023, 05:34 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:

I suspect they have their plans far more set than they let on.  You can't decide your line at the last minute and hope they are performing as a unit before the fourth or fifth game of the season.  So they know what they are going to do and baring injury, they are going with their plan.  But there are so many uncertainties - essentially three of the five positions have question marks about them - that if they said their minds were made up now then they would just have to deal with all the noise that comes with explaining/justifying that.  Likewise, if they know 4 of the 5 but still have a question on one spot then suddenly that one spot gets enormous focus and the guys working to make it there have that extra media hassle.  Or, if the spot they aren't certain about is something like RT then they gotta deal with justifying that being a question when LG is more so to the masses.

I don't know if they have their minds made up or not, obviously, but I do know that acting like it's a funky everyone can play everywhere pre-season decreases the number of questions people can ask so it's much easier to manage.

I don't disagree. 
I'm sure they see a clear way forward, it's just that injury, suspension, and potential "positional demotions" have them wanting to keep doors open. This type of language lays the groundwork for changes to be made. 

To a lesser degree, it also puts players on notice that their likely starting spot cannot be assumed safe or guaranteed. 

If I had to guess what they are heading off at the pass here, it's getting reps for a number of players at LG during camp, and leaving open the possibility of a shake up if Cam begins to look like an upgrade somewhere mid-season.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2023, 09:06 AM by Mikey. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: dur forgot Cam did a stupid )

(06-25-2023, 08:14 PM)mikesez Wrote: If not Bartch at LG on opening day, who would it be?

next man up.

Probably shatley, but hopefully they are developing someone who can fill in. If Bartch is still recovering, I wonder what his prospects to return at pre-injury form would be.

(06-26-2023, 09:01 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Little. I got this weird feeling that they keep the big price tag on the outside.

Cam/Little/Fort/Scherf/Harrison

Bartch is your inside swingman, Wells on the outside.

Who plays LT while Cam Robinson serves his suspension, though? 
Wells? 
Or do they put Little outside and Shatley inside to start out - then kick Little over?

(06-26-2023, 05:34 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:

Where the hell did you come from, I thought you got banned because you were me and I was you. Weird.

(06-26-2023, 10:30 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 05:34 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I suspect they have their plans far more set than they let on.  You can't decide your line at the last minute and hope they are performing as a unit before the fourth or fifth game of the season.  So they know what they are going to do and baring injury, they are going with their plan.  But there are so many uncertainties - essentially three of the five positions have question marks about them - that if they said their minds were made up now then they would just have to deal with all the noise that comes with explaining/justifying that.  Likewise, if they know 4 of the 5 but still have a question on one spot then suddenly that one spot gets enormous focus and the guys working to make it there have that extra media hassle.  Or, if the spot they aren't certain about is something like RT then they gotta deal with justifying that being a question when LG is more so to the masses.

Where the hell did you come from, I thought you got banned because you were me and I was you. Weird.

No, that was your "roomie", OzJ cleared of being your sock.

(06-26-2023, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 09:01 AM)Mikey Wrote: Little. I got this weird feeling that they keep the big price tag on the outside.

Cam/Little/Fort/Scherf/Harrison

Bartch is your inside swingman, Wells on the outside.

Who plays LT while Cam Robinson serves his suspension, though? 
Wells? 
Or do they put Little outside and Shatley inside to start out - then kick Little over?

I just don't think Cam plays here again. Little is the LT of the Present and Future, Harrison is the RT, and CRob won't play Guard.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-26-2023, 11:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 10:30 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Where the hell did you come from, I thought you got banned because you were me and I was you. Weird.

(06-26-2023, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Who plays LT while Cam Robinson serves his suspension, though? 
Wells? 

I just don't think Cam plays here again. Little is the LT of the Present and Future, Harrison is the RT, and CRob won't play Guard.

Surely Cam will play wherever the team ask him to play? Is he really going to return from a suspension and then immediately go on strike? 

Also I would imagine he would like to receive some money this season as he won't be getting paid whilst suspended. He's on a contract year, he'll play wherever the obvious gap is. I think they'll adjust depending on how it's going after the ban as opposed to have anything pre-planned.

How is Cam doing injury wise anyway? Is he even fit yet?

(06-26-2023, 12:42 PM)wassy04 Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 11:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, that was your "roomie", OzJ cleared of being your sock.

Surely Cam will play wherever the team ask him to play? Is he really going to return from a suspension and then immediately go on strike? 

Also I would imagine he would like to receive some money this season as he won't be getting paid whilst suspended. He's on a contract year, he'll play wherever the obvious gap is. I think they'll adjust depending on how it's going after the ban as opposed to have anything pre-planned.

How is Cam doing injury wise anyway? Is he even fit yet?

He's not on a contact year, he's just a cap casualty next offseason. He's said he won't play guard and I believe him. I also think that Little will be better than him by that time and the rookie will be fine at right tackle. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cut him in a few months. He's $10 million dead cap but has a $22 million dollar number this year. If he gets suspended 8 games it's possible they just have a guy replace him who will both cost less and be available all season.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-26-2023, 11:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 10:30 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Where the hell did you come from, I thought you got banned because you were me and I was you. Weird.

(06-26-2023, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Who plays LT while Cam Robinson serves his suspension, though? 
Wells? 

Wow, what a shocker. I totally bought it that he was my alter ego.

(06-26-2023, 04:18 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 11:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, that was your "roomie", OzJ cleared of being your sock.

Wow, what a shocker. I totally bought it that he was my alter ego.

Nah, that was SweetieP or some such. It doesn't change your transgressions a wit.