Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Incoming Danielle Hunter?

(07-25-2023, 11:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 11:22 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I just don’t know fellas. We’re strapped for cash as it is. We can trade a couple picks for a rental, but if we swipe our card it’s gonna decline if we have to put him under contract.

Lawrence’s deal is going to set an NFL record and Campbell is going to get a truck load of cash too.

I don’t wanna be the Rams. I want to make the tournament every year for the next 7 to 8 years.

The team is 20 million under the cap and can free up more next year if they dump Cam Robinson now. They can afford it and the future is now.

They may be signing a 300+ million dollar contract for Trevor after this season. 
Just a reminder to keep that minor detail in the equation...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Flashbacks to 0 % pass rush a lot of the time last season. Make the move,

(07-25-2023, 07:13 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Guy is on the last year of a 5x72 million contract. Held out because he wants a new deal ,more money.  He sees what has happened to Cook just recently. His cap hit this year of 13mill with 2 void years (11mill and 5 mill) Yea the Vikings would love to get out from under that. They already have 35 mill in dead cap.  Good player? Sure, but they may need to pay us

Oh and he aleady has collected all but 5 mill of his contract...so sure he wants more money this year

Why would they need to pay us? We would only be responsible for the cash due this year which is $5,500,00 which would be a bargain.

We won't be taking any of that dead cap. Those are just figures on their books for money he has already been paid.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2023, 06:10 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-26-2023, 08:16 AM)Predator Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 07:13 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Guy is on the last year of a 5x72 million contract. Held out because he wants a new deal ,more money.  He sees what has happened to Cook just recently. His cap hit this year of 13mill with 2 void years (11mill and 5 mill) Yea the Vikings would love to get out from under that. They already have 35 mill in dead cap.  Good player? Sure, but they may need to pay us

Oh and he aleady has collected all but 5 mill of his contract...so sure he wants more money this year

Why would they need to pay us? We would only be responsible for the cash due this year which is $5,500,00 which would be a bargain.

We won't be taking any of that dead cap. Those are just figures on their books for money he has already been paid.

Which means the Jaguars would be giving up picks for a 1 year deal or the Jaguars would have to offer him a contract that he is willing to sign. 

It’s a catch 22.

We’re going to need the extra cash to secure Lawrence after the season, and hopefully Campbell.

(07-26-2023, 07:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 11:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The team is 20 million under the cap and can free up more next year if they dump Cam Robinson now. They can afford it and the future is now.

They may be signing a 300+ million dollar contract for Trevor after this season. 
300 million on a 10 year deal maybe. There is no way he gets that much on a Herbert-type deal. 270 tops.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2023, 08:05 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

Would be a really nice addition.. but seems as of late the signing rumors involving the jags have all been smoke, so i'll keep my hopes low until something actually occurs.

(07-25-2023, 11:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The team is 20 million under the cap and can free up more next year if they dump Cam Robinson now. They can afford it and the future is now.

This is assuming he continues to play well, he has not earned a contract of that size yet by any means. Would be absurd unless he is better this year than last year.

(07-26-2023, 08:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Would be a really nice addition.. but seems as of late the signing rumors involving the jags have all been smoke, so i'll keep my hopes low until something actually occurs.

(07-26-2023, 07:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: They may be signing a 300+ million dollar contract for Trevor after this season. 

This is assuming he continues to play well, he has not earned a contract of that size yet by any means. Would be absurd unless he is better this year than last year.

He ran the table and beat the Chargers and was a Jamal fumble away from making the Chiefs beg for mercy.

Without Trevor we don’t get a new stadium. He’s selling jerseys and making Jacksonville relevant again. 

He’s earned it. He will break every passing record.

(07-26-2023, 08:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Would be a really nice addition.. but seems as of late the signing rumors involving the jags have all been smoke, so i'll keep my hopes low until something actually occurs.

(07-26-2023, 07:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: They may be signing a 300+ million dollar contract for Trevor after this season. 

Herp-Derp

Of course it will happen after this year and hinges on his play - like all NFL contracts. 
And he can simply pick up where he left off, not play "better." He ended the season playing well enough to earn a huge deal in this league. 

I'll bet you 10,000 dollars he is better, though. Since you still want to cling to your TL hate.

(07-27-2023, 11:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Herp-Derp

Of course it will happen after this year and hinges on his play - like all NFL contracts. 
And he can simply pick up where he left off, not play "better." He ended the season playing well enough to earn a huge deal in this league. 

I'll bet you 10,000 dollars he is better, though. Since you still want to cling to your TL hate.
I legit can't believe there are people who still aren't 100% sold on him.

(07-27-2023, 11:20 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-27-2023, 11:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Herp-Derp

Yeah, I think we just have a classic situation here of someone not knowing quarterback talent when they see it

That's out there, true. However, using the Herbert contract as a rough template (I'd expect TLaw's contract to be longer), the salary cap hits don't really happen until year three. Herbert's (sporttrac) cap numbers are ~ 8 million this year and ~ 19 next then it jumps to high 30 and then mid 40 for years three and four. So, we have a small window of relatively cheap TLaw for the next three years where we can really still afford a name trade or signing like Hunter and Ridley. Then we saw Rodgers just reworked his deal to help out the Jets, so no reason to think that won't be part of the plan for some of these newer long term deals the QBs are signing. The point is that the future is now, the window is open, and let's get another sack guy on the roster to win now.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2023, 06:09 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 2 times in total.)

(07-27-2023, 11:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Herp-Derp

I don't doubt he wont be better, I just said I wouldn't sink the franchises future financially on him until we see a full season of production.

(07-27-2023, 11:20 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-27-2023, 11:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Herp-Derp

Been a football fan for a long time, half a season of good play dosen't = highest paid QB in NFL history contract. I have a feeling he will get better and be our guy, I don't know that as a fact and as such I wouldn't put our franchise into a financial trap by giving him a blockbuster deal until I had a better understanding of what he is. And like I've said, 8 good games out of 2 seasons dosen't tell me enough to make that choice.

Not to compare Bortles to Lawrence at all, but we seen what happens when you give a guy an extended contract based on him playing better for a season vs waiting it out.

You say you’re not comparing Trevor to Blake, but you are….

This is completely different and you need to take a long look in the mirror if you don’t recognize lol

Saying you don’t compare Bortles to Lawrence then going ahead and comparing says it all. There is absolutely no [BLEEP] way you can compare them or the situation. How ridiculous.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I’ll ask again, what about when we started last season 2-1 and in first place in the division?

What’s up with the half of a season production narrative? The Philly game and the next 4 games is the only games I see as “need more production games”

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2023, 07:11 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(07-27-2023, 06:39 PM)NoShoes Wrote: You say you’re not comparing Trevor to Blake, but you are…. 

This is completely different and you need to take a long look in the mirror if you don’t recognize lol

I agree, the players are completely different. I didn't think Bortles had much talent at all before or after we drafted him. And I think the risk is far less with Trevor, but it's still a risk when you pay for something you think will happen based on potential vs betting on someone based on production over an extended period of time. 

If (and it's not likely, but it's impossible to be sure) Trevor failed and turned out to be bad, and we had him on a 5-10 year deal with hundreds of millions of dollars guranteed, we'd be stuck in a financial mess for years. 

I think you have to pull the trigger on it most likely before the 2024 season begins but you need to really evaluate what happens this season to make absolute certain that he can provide the value we're paying for.

(07-27-2023, 08:17 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’ll ask again, what about when we started last season 2-1 and in first place in the division?

What’s up with the half of a season production narrative? The Philly game and the next 4 games is the only games I see as “need more production games”

Rewatch the two wins we had in weeks 2-1, and then go rewatch the Raiders game and tell me if you can't see the difference for yourself. It's one thing to put up a nice stat line on dink-dunk passes while your defense holds two teams to 10 total points in 2 back to back games, it's a completely different thing to lead a 17 point comeback, or go toe-to-toe with Dallas and beat them in over time, or even the chargers playoff game. Those games showed what he can do when the games on the line and he has to step up.

I could read off Bortles stats for certain games in 2015 or 2017 and pretend he was good, but you watch the tape and see how the defense handed him the ball all game and he wasn't doing much special and it shows the truth behind the stats.

(07-27-2023, 08:17 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’ll ask again, what about when we started last season 2-1 and in first place in the division?

You're talking about a guy who says Trevor didn't play well in the second Houston game where we crushed them but were running at will so he didn't throw any TDs and was pulled at half time.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Lets make it happen! All in this year.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2023, 08:03 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-28-2023, 07:15 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

You're talking about a guy who says Trevor didn't play well in the second Houston game where we crushed them but were running at will so he didn't throw any TDs and was pulled at half time.

When did I say that? For what it's worth I barely remember that specific game so enlighten me.

(07-28-2023, 07:06 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-27-2023, 06:39 PM)NoShoes Wrote: You say you’re not comparing Trevor to Blake, but you are…. 

I agree, the players are completely different. I didn't think Bortles had much talent at all before or after we drafted him. And I think the risk is far less with Trevor, but it's still a risk when you pay for something you think will happen based on potential vs betting on someone based on production over an extended period of time. 

If (and it's not likely, but it's impossible to be sure) Trevor failed and turned out to be bad, and we had him on a 5-10 year deal with hundreds of millions of dollars guranteed, we'd be stuck in a financial mess for years. 

I think you have to pull the trigger on it most likely before the 2024 season begins but you need to really evaluate what happens this season to make absolute certain that he can provide the value we're paying for.

Rewatch the two wins we had in weeks 2-1, and then go rewatch the Raiders game and tell me if you can't see the difference for yourself. It's one thing to put up a nice stat line on dink-dunk passes while your defense holds two teams to 10 total points in 2 back to back games, it's a completely different thing to lead a 17 point comeback, or go toe-to-toe with Dallas and beat them in over time, or even the chargers playoff game. Those games showed what he can do when the games on the line and he has to step up.

I could read off Bortles stats for certain games in 2015 or 2017 and pretend he was good, but you watch the tape and see how the defense handed him the ball all game and he wasn't doing much special and it shows the truth behind the stats.

What is the point of this discussion aside from random Trevor bashing? We can't offer him a new contract until next year anyway, so of course they're going to watch him play this year. Not sure what your point is?

If it's that we shouldn't keep cap space for Trevor in case he stutters this year, that makes no sense as then when he doesn't we would be in trouble.

Sorry, just not following what your point is and how it affects whether we should sign Hunter?