Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It's been fun... but... here's 8 things.

(01-07-2024, 05:14 PM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 05:10 PM)Haterade Wrote: This loss today more on coaching and front office than players

Trevor's 3 bad balls to end the game would disagree.

Preach, the "golden boy" was not golden at all. More like dirty bronze.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 05:47 PM by AnOldBrownie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-07-2024, 05:08 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would think the following moves need to happen immediately this off season.

1. Baalke needs to go. Built the team backwards and we've wasted two years with skill position players trying to compensate for poor trench play.

2. Caldwell needs to go. Too much money tied up to be mediocre on defense and sometimes below medicore.

3. Rauscher needs to go. Offensive line is the achille's heel of this team.

4. Taylor needs to go. Offense was off all year. I don't think it's all on him but I believe Doug needs to be in charge.

5. Doug needs to resume offensive play calling in it's entierty if he's going to continue to play analytics instead of intelligence decision making wise.

6. New hire in the front office needs to resign Allen, let Ridley walk, sign Higgins, sign top available Center and draft another two lineman that can start immediately.

7. The running game, the approach, the philosophy and the scheme need to be different and better. Hasn't worked in two years.

8. Invest in a capable back up at QB that is head and shoulders above Beathard just in case Lawrence can't improve in year four or gets injured.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Agree with most of this.

Doesn't address one of the things I think held the team back this year.

Trevor's decision making.   I mean today's final possession was a prime example of him not knowing how to manage down and distance situations.   Hell, the play where we were on 4th down and needed 6 yards, and he threw the ball to Zay Jones who was covered and was tackled for a 3 yard pickup.   I understand him thinking Zay could make a play...but WHY?  He was covered.

Trevor had me question his ability this season.  Yes, passes have been dropped, perhaps receivers have let him down...but dang...simple down and distance management was continually poor a lot of time this season.

Caldwell and Cody Grimm imo have a bit to answer for. Positional coaches need to have roll in the off season. Sorry Mike.

9-7
9-8
Defense still doesn't know how to tackle.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

Good post. Agree with all of it besides letting ridley walk. 3rd is already gone and he's a very good player. If we're able to land higgins I'm fine with letting him walk but there's no.guarantee that tee would want to come here. And I wouldn't be comelfortbale gping into free agency with essentially just kirk at wr, I believe zay will be cut.

Improve the interior offensive line and realize the middle of the field exists. I feel like they get one great throw over the middle/seam then it’s just out sideline routes.

(01-07-2024, 05:42 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 05:08 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would think the following moves need to happen immediately this off season.

1. Baalke needs to go. Built the team backwards and we've wasted two years with skill position players trying to compensate for poor trench play.

2. Caldwell needs to go. Too much money tied up to be mediocre on defense and sometimes below medicore.

4. Taylor needs to go. Offense was off all year. I don't think it's all on him but I believe Doug needs to be in charge.

5. Doug needs to resume offensive play calling in it's entierty if he's going to continue to play analytics instead of intelligence decision making wise.

6. New hire in the front office needs to resign Allen, let Ridley walk, sign Higgins, sign top available Center and draft another two lineman that can start immediately.

7. The running game, the approach, the philosophy and the scheme need to be different and better. Hasn't worked in two years.

8. Invest in a capable back up at QB that is head and shoulders above Beathard just in case Lawrence can't improve in year four or gets injured.

Agree with most of this.

Doesn't address one of the things I think held the team back this year.

Trevor's decision making.   I mean today's final possession was a prime example of him not knowing how to manage down and distance situations.   Hell, the play where we were on 4th down and needed 6 yards, and he threw the ball to Zay Jones who was covered and was tackled for a 3 yard pickup.   I understand him thinking Zay could make a play...but WHY?  He was covered.

Trevor had me question his ability this season.  Yes, passes have been dropped, perhaps receivers have let him down...but dang...simple down and distance management was continually poor a lot of time this season.

These are all called plays with primary recievers that Trevor is supposed to target first.  Yes, Trevor has regressed.  But the play calling, the play design, and the primary target on each of these plays are all a part of how the HC and OC decide to run things.

Trevor is executing the plays as they are called and designed and he's throwing to the primary target of each play.

He threw balls behind the 1st down marker because that was the play that was called. 

There's only so much you can ignore about how trash this OC and HC were this year in terms of running this offense.  

There are 2 bootlickers that try to blame only the O-Line and not the coaches.  But today, we went up against a 5-11 team that has a terrible O-Line.  Did you see the way that offense called plays?  They called plays that tried to put our Defense on their heels.  

And did you see how our Offense called plays?  We called plays that were easy to anticipate and were basic 1980s football.  

A 5-11 team looked light years ahead of us...  And it's been this way for the last 3 months.  This coaching staff is total trash.

The gambling on 4th downs today in a high stakes game pisses me off a lot. Especially after the Cisco pick. You had the momentum. Even if you settle for 3 there you get the score down from 28 to 23.

Puts a surging defense out there with a shakey Tannehill at that point. This is why I feel Doug needs to resume absolute soul custody of the play calling because it's ultimately his decision to gamble.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 05:57 PM by enigma. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-07-2024, 05:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The gambling on 4th downs today in a high stakes game pisses me off a lot. Especially after the Cisco pick. You had the momentum. Even if you settle for 3 there you get the score down from 28 to 23.

Puts a surging defense out there with a shakey Tannehill at that point. This is why I feel Doug needs to resume absolute soul custody of the play calling because it's ultimately his decision to gamble.

You and me both brother.

Hence why I made the playcalling thread back in mid September, hoping these boneheaded decisions wouldn't be a trend. It all started with the Chiefs game where I noticed a few really terrible decision by Doug and the coaching staff. Turns out, they have indeed been an alarming trend most weeks - and have contributed to this teams failure.

I'm not terribly impressed by Baalke. His best pick is Trevor Lawrence, who was a gimme that my 10 year olds could pick. His seat should be lava next year if we don't make the playoffs next year.

Pederson is fine. We should absolutely fire our coordinators though.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(01-07-2024, 05:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The gambling on 4th downs today in a high stakes game pisses me off a lot. Especially after the Cisco pick. You had the momentum. Even if you settle for 3 there you get the score down from 28 to 23.

This is a HUGE problem! How do you leave 6 easy points on the field?? And it’s been this way too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Meanwhile:

Cj Beathard in 1 full game, and about a quarter and a half of football this season:

75.5 cmp pct, 349 yards 0 turnovers and 1-0

(01-07-2024, 06:24 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Meanwhile:

Cj Beathard in 1 full game, and about a quarter and a half of football this season:

Against nobody. Again, you cannot sugarcoat a turd. Beathard had the gift of surprise. He's not having that game every week.

I mean a real back up that acts as a real insurance policy in 2024 and potentially 2025..

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

You make a lot of good points. My list would be:

1. Hire a new general manager. Baalke has made some very good moves in free agency, but his drafts have been poor, especially the last one. This team will not have the luxury to sign many high priced free agents after they pay Lawrence. Allen and possibly Ridley. Find someone better at evaluating young talent.

2. Press Taylor should no longer call the offensive plays. I don't care if they keep him on staff, but the play-calling was very poor. 

3. The offensive line needs to be the number 1 priority during the off-season. Move Harrison to left tackle and draft a mauler to play right tackle with the 17th pick (depending on final results today). Value will be there with Mims, Fuaga, Barton and Fautanu all options. Just get it right! Fortner needs to be replaced by either a free agent like Cushenberry or a draft choice in rounds 2 or 3 (depending on what happens with Ridley}. Have Scherff re-do his contract and pair him with Cleveland at the guard spots. Walker Little should be a swing tackle. Draft another interior lineman in the mid-rounds.

4. The toughest decision is what to do with Ridley. I would re-sign him at a reasonable price. He had a somewhat disappointing season, however he is going to be better than anyone they'd likely draft in the 2nd round or later. A receiving group of Ridley, Kirk, Jones and Engram (if healthy) is very good. 

5. The interior defensive line showed its limitations today. Not sure of Hamilton's health, but a disruptive nose tackle needs to be added. 

This season's collapse was a massive disappointment. How Shad Khan responds will determine whether or not we continue to be frustrated in the future.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 07:15 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-07-2024, 06:27 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 06:24 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Meanwhile:

Against nobody. Again, you cannot sugarcoat a turd. Beathard had the gift of surprise. He's not having that game every week.

I mean a real back up that acts as a real insurance policy in 2024 and potentially 2025..

Meanwhile our "starter" just had a horrible game against arguably a worse team.. but whatever.

Also why not?, 80% of the board sugar coates Tlaws play on a weekly basis.

(01-07-2024, 05:10 PM)Haterade Wrote: This loss today more on coaching and front office than players

No.  Players dropped the passes missed the blocks and missed the tackles.  

Players first.  Then the rest. 

That's not ab excuse.  Coaches and front office crippled us.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 07:31 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

One thing glaringly missing from this list is the need for players with mental toughness. We did not seem have it during the back end of the season. Enough of this finesse crap, get some maulers and play behind them.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-07-2024, 07:29 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: One thing glaringly missing from this list is the need for players with mental toughness.  We did not seem have it during the back end of the season.  Enough of this finesse crap, get some maulers and play behind them.

Agreed. This team was soft from week one all the way through week eighteen. When push came to shove? This team got it's teeth kicked in. The only game that I can recall of where they matched intensity for intensity was the Buffalo game in London. 

There has to be a change across the board in that front office this week. Between Baalke, Taylor, Rauscher and Caldwell. I am not saying you gut all of them, but, at least two of those guys needs to go. To set a tone and standard. 

The problem is that, you probably won't see it because it's not in Doug's nature. This is history repeating itself again and Khan is going to have to step down from the owner's box and his office and make this decision for them. That's the problem. We're potentially in this bizarro situation where we have probably another four years of this barely scrapping by .500 club.

It's Gus Bradley and Dave Caldwell, accept just a little (a lot) bit better but not quite good enough to run with the big dogs.

(01-08-2024, 08:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 07:29 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: One thing glaringly missing from this list is the need for players with mental toughness.  We did not seem have it during the back end of the season.  Enough of this finesse crap, get some maulers and play behind them.

Agreed. This team was soft from week one all the way through week eighteen. When push came to shove? This team got it's teeth kicked in. The only game that I can recall of where they matched intensity for intensity was the Buffalo game in London. 

There has to be a change across the board in that front office this week. Between Baalke, Taylor, Rauscher and Caldwell. I am not saying you gut all of them, but, at least two of those guys needs to go. To set a tone and standard. 

The problem is that, you probably won't see it because it's not in Doug's nature. This is history repeating itself again and Khan is going to have to step down from the owner's box and his office and make this decision for them. That's the problem. We're potentially in this bizarro situation where we have probably another four years of this barely scrapping by .500 club.

It's Gus Bradley and Dave Caldwell, accept just a little (a lot) bit better but not quite good enough to run with the big dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Henry finished second in the NFL in rushing. I doubt he is done.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(01-08-2024, 09:47 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: Henry finished second in the NFL in rushing.  I doubt he is done.

He's not. He takes pretty good care of himself. He'll end up on a team like Kansas City or Cincinatti in the off season.

They need to draft a WR with some legitimate speed. Even if he is somewhat limited in other areas.

Not having a consistent speed/over the top thread limited this offense all season, most notably when Zay Jones was out due to injuries.

Yes they have had Jones nad Ridley on some deep throws, but they are not actually speed, deep threats.