Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which would you do
This poll is closed.
Make Allen the highest paid defensive player in NFL history
51.35%
19 51.35%
Tag Allen
48.65%
18 48.65%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Allen Extension Poll

I would extend him but the highest paid in history? I take the tag if that's our only two options. No shot you pay him THAT much, right?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024, 02:30 PM by nhiverson.)

I think if they tag him he should sit out until they trade him.

And then Trevor should ask to be traded as well.
No Fun

(01-29-2024, 02:30 PM)nhiverson Wrote: I think if they tag him he should sit out until they trade him.

Oof.  Hope not.  I don’t think there will be any games missed by sitting out though.

(01-29-2024, 02:30 PM)nhiverson Wrote: I think if they tag him he should sit out until they trade him.

They tagged Engram last season and flat out told him it was to secure him until they finished negotiating a deal.

It all worked out great for both parties.

It's common and accepted.

(01-29-2024, 01:37 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 01:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think, for the cap's sake, that they give more up front guaranteed. With the Bosa deal they dropped him $50 million up front, so that makes his cost $10 million plus salary and bonuses for each season. That base salary for the first couple seasons made his  cap hit $11.7 and $14.4 the first two years. The third year the cost is a little over $20 then the next season they can get out for around $13 million dead money for two seasons. Obviously we want Allen to be here for most of the years of the new deal, but the structure can be such that we rework it or let him go around the time he turns 31. All this talk with the numbers thrown around is mostly for agents and headlines, it has little bearing on the actual salary cap and how the contract is structured.

Given how this team is being constructed wouldn't we want most of his cap hit being in year 1 and 2 as you still have T-Law on the rookie deal, and you would hope that some of the young guys drafted in 22 and 23 will continue to get better and and take a larger part of the cap?

Unless you are thinking the Jags just keep pushing it back with restructures? I just worry that becomes a huge issue eventually if the team does that.

Front loading does work pretty well, Dave Caldwell was good at that. So many of those contracts had 2 year outs, but with Allen I don't know that we want him in that state. I'd rather make so that we can push him on down the road until he's in his mid-30s (provided no substantial decline).
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024, 04:33 PM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

Highest paid defensive in NFL history? After one fantastic season and very inconsistent before that? Not a chance.

Tag him until/unless a fair deal can be worked out.

(01-29-2024, 04:32 PM)wg171 Wrote: Highest paid defensive in NFL history? After one fantastic season and very inconsistent before that? Not a chance.

It's a bad poll question in my opinion. As the answer typically resides within the middle.

Can he be tagged? Yes. Should he be tagged? No.

Can he be the highest paid player on defense? Yes. Should he be or will he be? No.

The conversation starts as I had already previously laid out based on his contemporaries within the outside backer market.

He's great enough and has been consistent enough to be considered a top three to five player at his position.

He should be paid as such. Also, again, the deal he gets this year will look like a bag of peanuts on a cheap airline ticket once we get into the 2025 and 2026 off seasons.

T.J Watt and Micah Parsons in particular are due for massive deals in my opinion which will probably come close to $150M in Parson's case.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-29-2024, 08:50 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 11:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So some are thinking Allens camp will start out with negotiations wanting Nick Bosa money at minimum who is the highest defensive player in NFL history.  If Allen's camp wants to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history do you give him the contract or tag him to see if he can repeat and have another year this year like he did last? Which would you do?

Bosa signed 122.5 mil guaranteed, 34 mil per year

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/49...-extension

Always remember that last year's "highest paid contract" becomes the new baseline for any negotiations the next season. In your binary world you would use the tag if his camp doesn't negotiate down to your level. In the real world that has pretty broad implications as I posted in the other thread where you were on this tangent. The tag should be the last resort, not a hammer that you walk into the discussion resting over your shoulder like you're Thor wielding Mjolnir.

(01-29-2024, 08:49 AM)Jag88 Wrote: I would  pay him like top 3 at his position. If we can’t come to an agreement, tag!

Exactly and reasonable. This whole thread is the OP strawmanning my comment that the most recent is merely a baseline for current negotiations.
Hahahah, so now giving him an offer that would make him a top 3 edge defender and if Allens team doesn't agree on that and we just tag him is good and reasonable now?  Backpedaling at its finest Lol.   You said the Organization would lose its rep if we didn't make him the highest paid defensive player.

(01-29-2024, 07:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 04:32 PM)wg171 Wrote: Highest paid defensive in NFL history? After one fantastic season and very inconsistent before that? Not a chance.

It's a bad poll question in my opinion. As the answer typically resides within the middle.

Can he be tagged? Yes. Should he be tagged? No.

Can he be the highest paid player on defense? Yes. Should he be or will he be? No.

The conversation starts as I had already previously laid out based on his contemporaries within the outside backer market.

He's great enough and has been consistent enough to be considered a top three to five player at his position.

He should be paid as such. Also, again, the deal he gets this year will look like a bag of peanuts on a cheap airline ticket once we get into the 2025 and 2026 off seasons.

T.J Watt and Micah Parsons in particular are due for massive deals in my opinion which will probably come close to $150M in Parson's case.

Agreed, he should be paid top 3 OLB money and top 5 edge overall.   Hopefully Baalke can get a deal done

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024, 07:53 PM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

Honestly, I really don’t care how much Allen gets paid. However, I most certainly care about the cap hit and the ability, or rather inability, to bring in free agents to improve the team.

Bigger, stronger more physical players, especially in the trenches. They won’t come cheap. Pay Allen, but not to the extent the “team” suffers from lack of cap space.

Wierd options. No, he shouldn't be the highest paid defensive player in the league because he isn't the best defensive player in the league.

If a deal can't be worked out, then you tag him and try to trade him.

(01-29-2024, 07:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 08:50 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Always remember that last year's "highest paid contract" becomes the new baseline for any negotiations the next season. In your binary world you would use the tag if his camp doesn't negotiate down to your level. In the real world that has pretty broad implications as I posted in the other thread where you were on this tangent. The tag should be the last resort, not a hammer that you walk into the discussion resting over your shoulder like you're Thor wielding Mjolnir.

Exactly and reasonable. This whole thread is the OP strawmanning my comment that the most recent is merely a baseline for current negotiations.
Hahahah, so now giving him an offer that would make him a top 3 edge defender and if Allens team doesn't agree on that and we just tag him is good and reasonable now?  Backpedaling at its finest Lol.   You said the Organization would lose its rep if we didn't make him the highest paid defensive player.

No I didn't, you read into what I said what you wanted to read. I said that Bosa's contract is a baseline (Webster's says "a minimum or starting point used for comparisons") for new deals and that his agents should approach it that way. You're the one who got off on the "highest paid player" and "we should just tag him" nonsense; I said hard balling your great players is bad for your reputation as a franchise, which it is. Guess you should of spent more time on reading comprehension.

Edit: As I said, an entire thread just to strawman my position without the stones to put my name in the OP. Lol.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-30-2024, 09:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 07:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hahahah, so now giving him an offer that would make him a top 3 edge defender and if Allens team doesn't agree on that and we just tag him is good and reasonable now?  Backpedaling at its finest Lol.   You said the Organization would lose its rep if we didn't make him the highest paid defensive player.

No I didn't, you read into what I said what you wanted to read. I said that Bosa's contract is a baseline (Webster's says "a minimum or starting point used for comparisons") for new deals and that his agents should approach it that way. You're the one who got off on the "highest paid player" and "we should just tag him" nonsense; I said hard balling your great players is bad for your reputation as a franchise, which it is. Guess you should of spent more time on reading comprehension.

Edit: As I said, an entire thread just to strawman my position without the stones to put my name in the OP. Lol.

ISWYDT, whether intentional or not Wink

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 11:13 AM by nhiverson.)

(01-29-2024, 07:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hahahah, so now giving him an offer that would make him a top 3 edge defender and if Allens team doesn't agree on that and we just tag him is good and reasonable now?  Backpedaling at its finest Lol.   You said the Organization would lose its rep if we didn't make him the highest paid defensive player.

Exactly if they fumble Josh longterm either players won't come here and current players won't want to stay. It makes them seem not serious about winning. Best defensive player just like paying Bortles or not Ramsey or just like Allen Robinson didn't get paid but they paid Marquise Lee. It's a bad look.

If they don't have to use the tag that's great and if they get a long term with using the tag that's fine as well, but there is a chance Allen would take being tagged badly.
No Fun

BUT WHAT DID BRUCE ARIANS SAY ABOUT BAP!

If they tag Josh Allen it will be one of the most disappointing moments or moves in Franchise history for me personally.

Would put it right up there with Fred Taylor being allowed to leave Jacksonville. The premature trading of Mark Brunell and the way David Garrard's career was mishandled in general here.

Further bothered by Baalke's comment on trying to get Ridley extended before the market starts. Effectively giving Atlanta a 2nd RD pick. Which is just [BLEEP] backwards for me.

You sign Allen. You show the NFL and current roster you give a damn about your star players and lockeroom leaders.

You tag Ridley and extend him before training camp starts or you draft his replacement in a deep WR class and look to trade him.

Giving Ridley freedom to pick an AFC rival or play off competitor to haunt you potentially down the road is also risky.

Imagine him with Mahomes and the Chiefs. Imagine him with Stroud and the tinhorns. Just asking for trouble...

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-30-2024, 12:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote: If they tag Josh Allen it will be one of the most disappointing moments or moves in Franchise history for me personally.

Would put it right up there with Fred Taylor being allowed to leave Jacksonville. The premature trading of Mark Brunell and the way David Garrard's career was mishandled in general here.

Further bothered by Baalke's comment on trying to get Ridley extended before the market starts. Effectively giving Atlanta a 2nd RD pick. Which is just [BLEEP] backwards for me.

You sign Allen. You show the NFL and current roster you give a damn about your star players and lockeroom leaders.

You tag Ridley and extend him before training camp starts or you draft his replacement in a deep WR class and look to trade him.

Giving Ridley freedom to pick an AFC rival or play off competitor to haunt you potentially down the road is also risky.

Imagine him with Mahomes and the Chiefs. Imagine him with Stroud and the tinhorns. Just asking for trouble...

I agree it's more about the bad look and how it makes our players feel not being valued or appreciated if they tag him.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 01:17 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-30-2024, 12:35 PM)nhiverson Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 12:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote: If they tag Josh Allen it will be one of the most disappointing moments or moves in Franchise history for me personally.

I agree it's more about the bad look and how it makes our players feel not being valued or appreciated if they tag him.

Not only that, but, how often has this franchise landed a cornerstone player in the first round and extended them to a second contract? It's extremely rare. 

This is an opportunity to not only do the right thing, but, also shake some of our past ghosts off that we've been getting chased by for quite a bit of time. 

I think since post 2000. We've resigned, what? Maybe three to four players we drafted in RD1. Maybe Marcedes Lewis and who else? I can't think of anybody else really. Eugene Monroe? Marcus Stroud? John Henderson?

It's a been awhile. It's pretty bad when you have to go back that far as well.

(01-30-2024, 12:35 PM)nhiverson Wrote:

Kayvon Thibodeaux just said that players take notice who and who isn't getting paid in the locker room.

(01-30-2024, 01:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 12:35 PM)nhiverson Wrote: I agree it's more about the bad look and how it makes our players feel not being valued or appreciated if they tag him.

Not only that, but, how often has this franchise landed a cornerstone player in the first round and extended them to a second contract? It's extremely rare. 

This is an opportunity to not only do the right thing, but, also shake some of our past ghosts off that we've been getting chased by for quite a bit of time. 

I think since post 2000. We've resigned, what? Maybe three to four players we drafted in RD1. Maybe Marcedes Lewis and who else? I can't think of anybody else really. Eugene Monroe? Marcus Stroud? John Henderson?

It's a been awhile. It's pretty bad when you have to go back that far as well.

Blake Bortles and Tyson Alualu are the two you forgot.  Monroe did not get a second contract because he was traded.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.